PDA

View Full Version : Utah Mountain Writer's Retreat: How many days?

Cassiopeia
03-15-2007, 11:00 PM
okay step two :)

tjwriter
03-15-2007, 11:29 PM
I think half a week is plenty of time.

Also, I know you mentioned in your other thread that Sun - Thur is the cheapest, but if it's during the week, that will be impossible for me to take that kind of time off. The weekend is great because I already have days off. I'm not sure how many other people feel this way...

TsukiRyoko
03-15-2007, 11:33 PM
I say anything 4+ days is good. I would like to spend as much time as I can getting to know you guys and revelling in the delight of working on my writing close to so many other writers. Also, I'd like to stay the hell away from my hometown for as long as I can.

Cassiopeia
03-15-2007, 11:36 PM
I think half a week is plenty of time.

Also, I know you mentioned in your other thread that Sun - Thur is the cheapest, but if it's during the week, that will be impossible for me to take that kind of time off. The weekend is great because I already have days off. I'm not sure how many other people feel this way...yes it is a concern which is why I haven't told any of the resorts for sure what days we will take up residency. In the end, unfortunately it will be costs that rule the day.

I will do my best, I promise :D

Namatu
03-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I voted for 4 days, 3 nights, but would also be fine with 3 days, 2 nights.

Mr. Fix
03-16-2007, 12:00 AM
I say anything 4+ days is good. I would like to spend as much time as I can getting to know you guys and revelling in the delight of working on my writing close to so many other writers. Also, I'd like to stay the hell away from my hometown for as long as I can.

Still trying to avoid that murder rap, eh?

Weekends, even though I generally work then. It would be best if you started on a Thur/Fri evening check-in and then schedule 'events' over the two days Sat/Sun. Maybe a couple of follow-up meetings on Mon, after check out.

I've worked on conventions at Disneyland Hotel back in the 80's. And the few other type of conferences that I've attended always ran well with this kind of format. I realize we writer types are a weird group of beings, so a normal work week may not exist. I just think that more people will attend a Fri nite to Sun eve type of schedule.

tjwriter
03-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Heck, I could even do all day Thur, Fri, Sat with goodbyes over breakfast on Sun. That would probably require something like 2.5 days of vacation at a minimum.

kristie911
03-16-2007, 12:18 AM
I voted for 4 days 3 nights and I think tj is on the right track with Thursday-Sunday. People that work during the week would only have to take a couple of days vacation and those of us that also work weekends would only have to take a couple...works for everyone!

Soccer Mom
03-16-2007, 12:20 AM
I voted for 3 days, 2 nights, but I could do 4 days, 3 nights. Anything more than that starts to be too long for me. Getting away for that long is extremely difficult, although easier in the summer when kids are out of school.

TsukiRyoko
03-16-2007, 01:00 AM
I voted for 3 days, 2 nights, but I could do 4 days, 3 nights. Anything more than that starts to be too long for me. Getting away for that long is extremely difficult, although easier in the summer when kids are out of school.
I say take the kids with you and let me watch them :e2brows:

maestrowork
03-16-2007, 01:06 AM
A long weekend would work for most people.

TsukiRyoko
03-16-2007, 01:15 AM
A long weekend would work for most people.
Screw that, I say we buy an island and don't let anyone leave.

maestrowork
03-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Cuba?

AnnieColleen
03-16-2007, 01:42 AM
My only concern would be how much the longer time span would drive up costs for lodging. I do work a regular week but my vacation's flexible with enough notice.

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 01:50 AM
Cuba?

If we can scrounge up fifteen bucks, we could probably buy Hati....

I say 4 days, 3 nights. It's long enogh to not feel rushed, short enough to not feel strained.

As for it falling when, it matters not to me. The advantage of it being a year away is, I'll just take the time off. the only awkward thing is, according to my wife, Tzinski 2.0's Baptism is apparently going to fall around March of next year, which means two cross-country trips in a year (iffy, on our budget.) But again, it's a year away. I'll manage.

TsukiRyoko
03-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Cuba?
:roll: That's just so wrong...

Then again, it's fairly sensible....

Mr. Fix
03-16-2007, 02:38 AM
I say we get a cruiseship! Then we can go to any island we want.
Actually, that may not be a bad idea! (Surprised that I was the one that thought of it!)

How about a cruise ship conference?

With a group discount, it might actually be very affordable.

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 03:01 AM
Thus proving that SOMEBody didn't read the 19 pages of the other thread, where I did the math and worked out that we could buy a Yacht.

Sheesh.

;)

maestrowork
03-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Actually a 4-day cruise off the Caribbean is not a bad idea. Literary groups do cruises all the time -- it's simple, everything is included, and ample space to meet.

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 03:16 AM
Actually a 4-day cruise off the Caribbean is not a bad idea. Literary groups do cruises all the time -- it's simple, everything is included, and ample space to meet.

I would adore a cruise of any length off the Caribbean, particularly if it meant I could visit St. Croix again.

maestrowork
03-16-2007, 03:17 AM
4-day cruises go to St. Croix, St. Maarten, the Bahamas all the time.

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 03:27 AM
4-day cruises go to St. Croix, St. Maarten, the Bahamas all the time.

Then I can show everyone the Really Bad Neighborhood I lived in on St. Croix! We can see the street person who talks to air conditioners! We can see Lesma, who used to hit weeds with a machete (his job was "groundskeeper")! We can see the old island fort that they painted yellow to make friendly! We can see the dock that's been Under Construction since 1987!

I love the idea of it.

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Great ideas for other years to be holding a bi yearly retreat. For THIS coming 2008 , we will stick to the land but you know..there is nothing that says you can't organize more meets in your region. :D

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 03:53 AM
But Kim...if we all go to St. Croix then we can Not Drink The Water together!

:D

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 04:01 AM
But Kim...if we all go to St. Croix then we can Not Drink The Water together!

:Dyes I KNOW PeeDee but somehow a Cruise just doesn't fit the whole..."writing retreat" idea. I'm sensing, lodges, pine trees...hiking trails...cook outs(not to be confused with campouts) I see YOU and Carrie entertaining us the first night after dinner during our first mixer.

Yes *in a trance now* it is all coming clearer and clearer. Shopping in a metropolitan area not far from out retreat. I can see water! Not the beach! Yes it is coming now...

Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more folks and in the meantime yall hogtie Maestro and see if he will conceed to speaking to us one evening for a fireside chat. :D

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 04:07 AM
I know that's what you have in mind, and I agree with it. I was just running with a fun idea. ;)

And...er....I'm honestly now sure how entertaining you think me and Carrie actually are. Carrie might be, but I'm pretty dull.

Little Red Barn
03-16-2007, 04:09 AM
yes I KNOW PeeDee but somehow a Cruise just doesn't fit the whole..."writing retreat" idea. I'm sensing, lodges, pine trees...hiking trails...cook outs(not to be confused with campouts) I see YOU and Carrie entertaining us the first night after dinner during our first mixer.

Yes *in a trance now* it is all coming clearer and clearer. Shopping in a metropolitan area not far from out retreat. I can see water! Not the beach! Yes it is coming now...

Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more folks and in the meantime yall hogtie Maestro and see if he will conceed to speaking to us one evening for a fireside chat. :D

Not the Beach... * hearts the ocean * heck why not the beach? ::shrugs::

Has anyone voted on the place...Centrally located I hope and do remember we do have an awful lot of Texans...not me...but we could possibly have more people... in Texas

tjwriter
03-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Well, Pete, I'd find you slightly more entertaining if you'd post something funny on your blog. I managed to post on mine.

And as time passes, we can have retreats in all sorts of places. I like woods and trees and the flowers and the bees. Lalalalala lala la

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 04:14 AM
Not the Beach... * hearts the ocean * heck why not the beach? ::shrugs::

Has anyone voted on the place...Centrally located I hope and do remember we do have an awful lot of Texans...not me...but we could possibly have more people... in TexasThere is no vote..only suggestions :) In the end, it is up to me to make the most judicious choice I can. :D

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 04:18 AM
Well, Pete, I'd find you slightly more entertaining if you'd post something funny on your blog. I managed to post on mine.

And as time passes, we can have retreats in all sorts of places. I like woods and trees and the flowers and the bees. Lalalalala lala la

I posted something funny last night until I realized that, on top of being funny, it was also more obscene than I was comfortable with, so it got taken back down. Which means if you'd read faster, you would have read Kirk-Spock Slash In Gangsta Speech. :)

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 04:19 AM
There is no vote..only suggestions :) In the end, it is up to me to make the most judicious choice I can. :D

There is no vote...there's just the truth of the signal.

Pete = Dweeb.

san_remo_ave
03-16-2007, 04:28 AM
I voted for 4 days, 3 nights. Anything longer would be too long for me. Thanks!

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 04:32 AM
I voted for 4 days, 3 nights. Anything longer would be too long for me. Thanks!

Because you hate us.

*breaks down crying.*

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 04:37 AM
Because you hate us.

*breaks down crying.*Psst PeeDee...PeeDee...that was YOUR idea.

JeanneTGC
03-16-2007, 04:41 AM
I voted for 4 days/3 nights, but I have more flexibility than most, so I will go for as long as we choose to go, wherever we choose to go. Whenever is the issue for me, not place, cost or duration of stay. (And, no, I don't have the cash to cover anyone else, no matter how independently wealthy this just made me sound. ;) )

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Psst PeeDee...PeeDee...that was YOUR idea.

Oh yeah! That's right!

I'm so forgetful. *breaks down crying*

MDavis
03-16-2007, 04:49 AM
*opens door*

Hey is this the Retreat Planning Committee meeting?

*sees PeeDee sobbing into his hands*

Oh. So we're not buying the yacht, then?

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 04:51 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot no one wanted to buy a yacht with me either too.

*sobs more*

san_remo_ave
03-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Because you hate us.

*breaks down crying.*

Yuh. That must be it. *rolls eyes*

No, it's just my husband would pout. Unless we have a bunch of songwriters going along. Then he might go and hang out with them while I'm stuck to my laptop.

Pthom
03-16-2007, 05:00 AM
I'd buy a yacht with you, PeeDee, but only if it was an interstellar one so we could go check out exactly why there are dormant black holes.

san_remo_ave
03-16-2007, 05:03 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot no one wanted to buy a yacht with me either too.

*sobs more*

Unless by "yacht" you mean "rusty, worn out canoe" I cannot help you. If you did mean the latter, we must call it a "jonboat" (which my hubby informs me is the proper name for a shallow bottomed boat on lakes and rivers) and plan to do lots of fishing and drinking of beer. Hey, is Silver King goin'? Maybe he can show us all the good fishin' spots.

Namatu
03-16-2007, 05:04 AM
Ooh, I'd pitch in a yacht like that.

MDavis
03-16-2007, 05:05 AM
Since Casi's doing so much work to plan this for us, and PeeDee won't stop crying, I suggest a compromise.

We buy the yacht, park it in a campground not far away from a Major Metropolitan City, and sit around the deck telling stories about Gordon.

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 05:06 AM
Since Casi's doing so much work to plan this for us, and PeeDee won't stop crying, I suggest a compromise.

We buy the yacht, park it in a campground not far away from a Major Metropolitan City, and sit around the deck telling stories about Gordon.*busts out laughing*

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 05:20 AM
that's some no-holds-barred planning there, MDavis!

Soccer Mom
03-16-2007, 05:38 AM
I love all the suggestions. Especially the yacht thing or the cruise thing. And the coming to Texas thing. And telling Gordon stories around the campfire. All the suggestions are good.

Except the one about leaving my kids with Tsuki. :shudders: Like they aren't screwed up enough already. :poke:

Little Red Barn
03-16-2007, 05:44 AM
I love all the suggestions. Especially the yacht thing or the cruise thing. And the coming to Texas thing. And telling Gordon stories around the campfire. All the suggestions are good.

Except the one about leaving my kids with Tsuki. :shudders: Like they aren't screwed up enough already. :poke:

;) Can you say Yee Haww boys and girls...

MDavis
03-16-2007, 05:48 AM
that's some no-holds-barred planning there, MDavis!

What can I say, I laugh in the face of Gordon stories... ;)

So Casi, which way are you leaning on the "how many days" question? The consensus seems headed toward the 4 day/3 night thing, which I like.

TsukiRyoko
03-16-2007, 06:51 AM

Except the one about leaving my kids with Tsuki. :shudders: Like they aren't screwed up enough already. :poke:Come on! it'll be fun! I promise! Think of it this way- I'll be teaching them the best self defense in existance.

maddythemad
03-16-2007, 07:26 AM
I think it shouldn't be any shorter than 4 days/3 nights, especially as some of us might have to drive a looong way to get to merry ole Texas or wherever this is taking place. Personally, I think we should go somewhere really pretty, like Vermont or something. Such nice hills. Not to mention cheese. And maple syrup.

Soccer Mom
03-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Ahem. Texas isn't pretty?

Them is fighting words, joker girl!

AnnieColleen
03-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Ahem. Texas isn't pretty?

Them is fighting words, joker girl!

Seconded!

Ok, so, hill country in wildflower season?

http://www.inntravels.com/usa/tx/blair6.jpg

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 08:04 AM
well as you can see the most popular stay is 4 days and 3 nights. That is what PeeDee and I thought. Now for those who want to arrive later...that will be up to you. For those who want to stay longer...that will be up to you. So...4 days and 3nights it is :)

maddythemad
03-16-2007, 08:26 AM
No! No! Texas is gorgeous! ... and hilly. And I hear they make a dem fine maple syrup! ;) But it's such a very loooong way away.

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 09:09 AM
oooohkay then...guys...let's not get the idea that any place is being decided against because I think it isn't good enough. K? The decision to where it will be held is not an easy one but we have moved past that discussion. So if we could stick to the topic at hand please?

I am concerned people are going to start getting their feelings hurt. I don't want that to happen since yall are like family :D

Shweta
03-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I've been keeping my nose out cause I don't know if I can afford the retreat, but...I'm with Casi. We can only pick one place, since we can only be in one place at a time; since she has a lot of work to do, it's important that it's a place where she has contacts and knows her way around. Which is why, unless there's a huge important objection, we need to go with the place she picks.

My 2c

AnnieColleen
03-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Yes'm! :2angel: Just sticking up for our great state's honor.

(and giving Maddy a hard time. :tongue)

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 12:13 PM
I've been keeping my nose out cause I don't know if I can afford the retreat, but...I'm with Casi. We can only pick one place, since we can only be in one place at a time; since she has a lot of work to do, it's important that it's a place where she has contacts and knows her way around. Which is why, unless there's a huge important objection, we need to go with the place she picks.

My 2cOR if they want...they can take it over and I can run like the wind for the hills. :D :hooray:

Shweta
03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Part of why I'm keeping my mouth shut - I know better than to want any of that organizational hassle dumped on me!
You're a hero, Cas.

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Part of why I'm keeping my mouth shut - I know better than to want any of that organizational hassle dumped on me!
You're a hero, Cas.

Tell me: have they changed the meaning of hero to certifiably INSANE?
:D

Shweta
03-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Casi, that's not a change.
Just look at heroes in stories. :tongue

Cassiopeia
03-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Casi, that's not a change.
Just look at heroes in stories. :tongue
DAMN! :P

Namatu
03-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Shweta is correct. The "insane" part is left off of the official definition, but everyone knows it's there. :crazy: You are to be commended for your bravery, Casi!

I'm fine with whatever location can provide us with the best package for the money.

Mae
03-16-2007, 06:28 PM
So the plan lives on: 4 days, 3 nites in July 2008.

So far so good!

How long until we know the chosen destination Casiopeia?

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm fine with whatever Casi picks too, because if I'm not, she won't let me out of the closet and feed me this week...

But I think it's now been decided on location, and length-of-stay, so now any place suggestions are free to cause bar fights. ;)

The next poll will begin next time Casi is online and will involve what type of pants I shall be wearing to the retreat. Choose wisely.

(and I cross-posted with Mae, because it seemed like a cool thing to do.)

MDavis
03-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Black and white striped cheap costume pirate pants, cropped just below the knee.

Oh wait...I think I was supposed to wait for the poll...

Cassiopeia
03-22-2007, 07:46 AM
This is not an offical AW retreat. Any still interested in the Utah Mountain Writers Retreat will be able to have more information in an appropriate thread and location.

PeeDee
03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Jagsamash, my name a Borat!!! I like you!!! I like sex!!! Is nice!!!

My is having been ask to directing you into a new thread. Please, a, you see. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58856)

Great success!

http://damonkillian.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/borat_trailer.jpg

Birol
03-22-2007, 09:26 AM
But I think it's now been decided on location, and length-of-stay, so now any place suggestions are free to cause bar fights. ;)

If the length of stay has been decided, shouldn't you update your other thread?