Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Since we have a few people working in the actual indistry, and sonce the beginning of the How to Write...thread had a little industry discussion, I thought maybe we could have a thread about the industry itself?

How are submissions different?

How are projects edited and developed?

Are query letters different?

How do you write a proposal?

Does anyone have any input on these? Any thoughts? Has anyone seen any articles or interviews on these subjects?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have only taken part in small press comic anthologies. But it is an activity I would encourage. There are always indy comic publishers looking to put together collections of fresh voices in comics--and their submission guides are pretty relaxed :)

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
How are submissions different?

For a writer alone, it's nigh impossible to submit to a comic company. And the big two specifically. Best way I think to get in, is to either keep an eye out for someone looking for a writer, or find your own artist. You can find more on artist in the "how to writer comics" thread.

In my experience, if you are JUST writing, JUST wanting to look for a writing gig, the real way in is to network. Go to cons, shake hands, make nice with artists, try and make nice with editors and publishers and work it from there. It really is a "who you know" industry. And if you want to get your script read you really need the art to go with it. If you go to cons, don't take sample scripts. No one will read them. If you get art to go with it, and get sequentials however, that's a different animal all together.

How are projects edited and developed?

Depends on the company, the editor and if it's your project or the companies project. I plan to address the editor thing a little in the "how to" thread."

Are query letters different?

I don't know. I've never queried. I tend to send more of an introduction email that lists my credits and a little about me. It is VERY informal and coversational. Depending on the company, I either offer a sample if requested, or include it. I do not include my sample regardless, and usually now I offer it more than just send it.

More likely, you will be pitching a project, rather than your skills. And again, without an artist, you have to be really good to get them to look at it. In that case you probably want to look at how to query a movie script submission, as there is an overlap there.

How do you write a proposal?

- List of main characters and a mini-character bio. Like a paragraph at most.
- Synopsis for the story. I would recommend you pitch a project as a mini-series or graphic novel. It is much more likely to get a pick-up if it's self contained. Comic stores will be loathed to take an untested ongoing title, but ifyou pitch a self-contained four/six/eight part project, the company can sell it as a mini-series of issues, a tradepaperback, or a slick graphic novel. The bonus to TPBs and GNs is that they can sell them in regular bookstores as well as comic stores.
- a brief breakdown of what happens in each issue.
- the first issue in comic script format.
- if you have it, the credits of you, your penciler, inker, colorist and letterer. Failing that, just a brief introduction letter.

Places like Image will tell you that you don't need to do anything fancy, as they can tell whether something is quality. However, I think this is a specific attempt to weed out submissions. My personal take is that you should make your pitch bundle as slick and professional as possible. Show your commitment to quality. However, that won't improve your chances if the product isn't good enough. And believe, Image will tell you in no uncertain terms, if you aren't good enough.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
My personal experience is solely as a writer. I have the artistic ability of a small glass of water.

What wordmonkey and veinglory say pretty much covers any bases I'd touch on. The big thing I'd suggest, though, is this:

1) The comic book industry is not the book industry, and while they do share similarities, they are wildly different enough that if you (a generalized you) look at them in the same light, you're going to go mad.

2) What both veinglory and wordmonkey touch on is networking and sort of wiggling your way in. Network, shake hands, I cannot emphasize that enough. It's not solely an Ol' Boys Network, but you'll get further treating it like one. And I think part of that same point is working on independent anthologies, with small publishers, on small comics. Just because it's not Dark Horse or Vertigo, give it the best effort you can and produce a comic like you're competing with Jim Lee and Neil Gaiman. Even if no one notices it outside the small market your comic goes out to, you've gained experience, you've worked well with an editor and a publisher, and it's a credit.

AND...as a writer, you can use previous comics as your submission materials to publishers like Dark Horse. You send them a comic as an example of your previous work as well as part of your query letter and synopsis for your new project.

I'll try to think of other details. I'm nto always good on the mechanical bits of the comic industry, because honestly, my experiences have been almost entirely networked...but I know things from research and reading. And I have a book of notes somewhere. I'll dig it up.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Read these again. VERY GOOD POINTS!

My personal experience is solely as a writer. I have the artistic ability of a small glass of water.

This is true. I've seen the glass of water in question. It's got some floaters on top, smells a bit icky and there's a nasty chip in the rim. It's also a spectacularly untalented glass of water. It can't even hold a pencil!

1) The comic book industry is not the book industry, and while they do share similarities, they are wildly different enough that if you (a generalized you) look at them in the same light, you're going to go mad.

DEFINITELY. Even though they need writers in the industry you are NEVER the star. OK, granted, there are a few BIG names, but the vast majority of really good writers are dwarked by the number of artists that the average ready of comics knows.

2) What both veinglory and wordmonkey touch on is networking and sort of wiggling your way in. Network, shake hands, I cannot emphasize that enough. It's not solely an Ol' Boys Network, but you'll get further treating it like one. And I think part of that same point is working on independent anthologies, with small publishers, on small comics. Just because it's not Dark Horse or Vertigo, give it the best effort you can and produce a comic like you're competing with Jim Lee and Neil Gaiman. Even if no one notices it outside the small market your comic goes out to, you've gained experience, you've worked well with an editor and a publisher, and it's a credit.

It should also be noted that industry lore dictates that however you hear of one person breaking into comics should be ignored because the industry will close that avenue of entry as soon as that person is in. You think it's hard selling your forst novel or script, try comics. It's the place where they actively encourage you not to bother trying to get in.

AND...as a writer, you can use previous comics as your submission materials to publishers like Dark Horse. You send them a comic as an example of your previous work as well as part of your query letter and synopsis for your new project.

To me, this is like selling short stories. You sell a short to a crappy magazine. Then you get a short into a better market. And then you go bigger. Take the little publisher, the mini-series with an unknown artist or publisher (AS LONG AS THEY ARE DOING QUALITY WORK), and do it for free, or a back-end pay deal. You NEED to get scripts drawn and out there.

My best analogy of comics is that it's like the old apprentice system. You have to go in there and do the grunt work, get dirty, pull the long hours for little or no reward, JUST to build yourself up to the point where you can get a low page rate.

But get yourself recognized in Wizard for one of those back-end deals and suddenly people take you a whole lot more seriously. Both publishers, and artists.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I don't know if comic writers are quite as invisible as they used to be, before people like Gaiman and Moore made everyone sit up and go "Hey, someone's WRITING these...!"

But I'm not a good judge, because I'm a comic book writer and fanatic. Off the top of my head, I can think of Joss Whedon, Brian Bendis, Jeph Loeb, Gaiman, Moore, Warren Ellis, Garth Enis, Joe Straczynski, Ed Bruebaker, and probably more if I think for a few more minutes (Mark Miller; see?)

But again, I'm not The Average Comic Reader, because I'm a writer (so I notice) I'm a comic nut (so I notice) and I work with comics (so I notice). I'd be curious to see someone who just reads comics casually and whether they notice the writers, or even the artists, for that matter.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
But I'm not a good judge, because I'm a comic book writer and fanatic. Off the top of my head, I can think of Joss Whedon, Brian Bendis, Jeph Loeb, Gaiman, Moore, Warren Ellis, Garth Enis, Joe Straczynski, Ed Bruebaker, and probably more if I think for a few more minutes (Mark Miller; see?)

Yeah, but of those, Whedon is BUFFY and FIREFLY/SERENITY; Loeb has numerous TV and movie credits LOST & HEROES, TEENWOLF; Gaiman and Moore are GAIMAN AND MOORE; Straczynski is B5, MURDER SHE WROTE and a whole slew of TV shows. I'd bet the avergae reader would know those. Maybe even the writer on their favorite monthly title, but beyond that, it's the pretty pictures, baby! Pretty pictures.

This actually doesn't bother me that much. You build a reputation and the people who you NEED to know about writers know.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I dont' really mind either. If you do the job right, then the reader isn't thing "Wow, that's cool art!" or "wow, that's well written!" until after they're done reading. Both should be invisible to the process of reading.

Will Eisner always said that art was there to serve the story, and of course he was absolutely right. But that doesn't mean the story should be self-serving.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Totally agree. If you get a review that says, "Great story, but the art let it down." or "Awesome art, but where was the story?" Then the comic-book failed. It's a collaborative process.

Status
Not open for further replies.