Blood Ties

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Anyone catch the debut on Lifetime of this? It's based on the Vicki Nelson novels by Tanya Huff. This first one was based on her first book in the series, "Blood Price."

I thought some of the dialog got a little corny at times, but overall, I actually enjoyed it. Even if it's supposed to be a paranormal romance.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see it - but I think I caught a promo for it the other day . . . is this about a lady ex-cop, a vampire and a detective? All I caught from that promo was the overwhelming impression the vampire was straight off a romance novel cover (needed a haircut and testosterone injections).

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I like Tanya Huff's earlier stuff, before the novels all turned into plain old sex romps. I'll give it a try. I'm watching the Dresden Files, which I was reluctant to do because I LOVE the books, but the show is pretty good.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I didn't see it - but I think I caught a promo for it the other day . . . is this about a lady ex-cop, a vampire and a detective? All I caught from that promo was the overwhelming impression the vampire was straight off a romance novel cover (needed a haircut and testosterone injections).
Yeah, kinda sorta. She's an ex-cop, now PI, with bad eyes (which is why she resigned from the force). There's this Fabio looking vampire who is the illegitimate son of Henry the 8th or something. And a detective who used to be her former partner (maybe lover).

She's nice eyecandy, too. ;)

I didn't think I'd like it because well, it's on Lifetime (isn't that a chick channel?). It looked like a romance. But as I said, surprisingly, I enjoyed it.

In fact, it made me go out to the library and pick up a book by Tanya Huff.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, anything that makes you go buy a book . . . :D At least there's eyecandy in there for you. That vampire didn't do it for me!

So what examples of corny dialog did it have? Was it the words, or delivery that made it corny?

Or both :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, anything that makes you go buy a book . . . :D At least there's eyecandy in there for you. That vampire didn't do it for me!

So what examples of corny dialog did it have? Was it the words, or delivery that made it corny?

Or both :D
A combination of both.

When the girl friend of one of the murder victims comes to Vicki to get her to investigate she says, "Ian, was killed by a walker of the night. A vampire."

Vicki replies,"Corine, I understand."

And Corine replies, "Don't patronize me. They're real. Out there. Walking the night. Looking to slake their unquenchable thirst. Feeding on us the way we feed on cows and chickens."

I don't know, but to me that was a little bit too much melodrama. Walker of the night? Slake their unquenchable thirst?

They had a female coroner who was just delivering some of the silliest lines. But I think that was intentional to show she just had this fun morbid sense of humor.

I'm mean it wasn't rampant throughout the whole story or I wouldn't have liked it. They just popped in every so often.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See, that gets me sometimes - we as writers have to strive for clarity and avoid cliches and silly catch phrases like that. We have to research and make sure what we write is acurate, historical, scientific - yada yada yada.

Then tv can go and do this, all the time. To the point where other people will read something and say "Hey, that's not really how things work - I saw it on Star Wars, man, and THAT was real! It wouldn't be on TV if it wasn't real."

usually followed by "Dude, where's my car." but it still annoys me.

I recall (and this is a bit embarassing to admit but for the sake of conversation, I'll throw myself in front of the bus here) reading an interview wherein that guy . . . crap . . . married to Sarah M Geller, last name Prinze . . . anyway, he'd written an episode of (ahem) Mutant X.

Anyway, this actor-turned-writer was going on about how BRILLIANT his dialog was, how cutting edge and "out there" his script was compared to the drivel all the other show writers were putting out.

So I watched it.

It was LAUGHABLE! Full of cliches, and smack-your-forehead silly remarks.

Just bad.

Bad bad bad. And this actor-turned-writer was so proud . . .

It was just sad.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a difference between doing it on purpose for a reason, and having no clue what a cliche is!

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
Is it the whole pilot or just the first half?

If it's the whole pilot, glee!

(I can't view itunes from the day job -- I'm on break at my desk right now.)

Tanya Huff is one of my all time favorite writers ... I've been excited about this series since I first heard about it. No satellite at the moment, though.

FYI- for now, you can download the pilot for free on iTunes.