A question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngscribbles

I know that writing a non-fiction book is quite different from writing a fiction book, that a lot more depends on the author rather than the content. I'm young (fresh out of high school), and I don't have a college degree yet. Would it be a waste of time for me to write a non-fiction book and expect even a small-house publishing agency accept it?

Thanks,
YS

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I'm young (fresh out of high school), and I don't have a college degree yet. Would it be a waste of time for me to write a non-fiction book and expect even a small-house publishing agency accept it?

Thanks,
YS

No, not if you write a good book. :)

Besides, seeing through a project to completion can be a reward in and of itself. Go for it.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I know that writing a non-fiction book is quite different from writing a fiction book, that a lot more depends on the author rather than the content. I'm young (fresh out of high school), and I don't have a college degree yet. Would it be a waste of time for me to write a non-fiction book and expect even a small-house publishing agency accept it?

Thanks,
YS

I'm a high school dropout, and I had no shortage of major publishers wanting my book. Editors said, "degrees aren't what matter. The writing is what matters."

That said, you will have to be credible and qualified to write about whatever topic you propose. For example, you would not be likely to get a book on surgical technique published unless you are a surgeon or a known medical writer.

As long as you have a viable platform your specific educational credentials matter much less than the quality of your writing.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I know that writing a non-fiction book is quite different from writing a fiction book, that a lot more depends on the author rather than the content.

I think the content is more important in non-fiction. People might buy a novel for entertainment and then be disgusted because it's badly written or boring. People buy non-fiction because of the content--it's got to be something they want to know more about.

At this point, plenty of people are familiar with my book, but a lot fewer actually know my name.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Look at all the young adults who have written insider guides to colleges, dating, making the most out of high school, alternatives to college, gap years. Just write about something that you know a bit about and are interested in, and be prepared to research and interview people. Nonfiction, except memoir, isn't written entirely from personal experience. You're a little young for memoir :), but researched have no age limit and if you pick a topic that appeals to your age group, you'll have an advantage in choosing the correct angle and language to hook younger readers

Status
Not open for further replies.