PDA

View Full Version : Not for him, but...

Provrb1810meggy
03-15-2007, 03:13 AM
So I sent out a query today, plus five pages, to an agent. I didn't expect him to get back so soon, but he did. The first line was a standard, "This isn't right for me," but the next line was something I normally didn't see. He said, "You might try (insert name of agency)?" I thought this was exciting. I mean, maybe that means he at least saw some merit in my work, right? Maybe that's a naive way of looking at it, and he was just being nice. Anyway, I did send a submission that agency, and I'm still waiting for a reply, but if he thinks this agency might be a good fit, that gives me some hope. Oops. I probably shouldn't be hopeful.

Anyway, this was a good rejection as far as rejection goes!

BarbaraSheridan
03-15-2007, 03:37 AM
By all means be hopeful!

This is a definite step above a simple, "not for me".

Agent 1 wouldn't have recommended you submit to agent 2 unless he thought you had a shot.

johnzakour
03-15-2007, 06:51 AM
That's certainly not a bad sign. It never hurts to try.

David McAfee
03-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Personally, any rejection beyond the simple form letter is a good rejection, unless the agent writes you back to say "Boy, you really stink!" Since most agents would never do such a thing, any departure from the norm indicates they read and appreciated your work, if only a little. So I'm told, anyway. I've had a few agents tell me my writing was very good, but the story wasn't for them. I like those. No one's ever reccomended another agency to me before, though.

I say kudos to you. :)

clara bow
03-15-2007, 09:52 PM
cool, it sounds like you're on to something. good luck!

scarletpeaches
03-15-2007, 09:53 PM
To quote Uncle Jim, a no is still a no.

scarletpeaches, little ray of sunshine.

David McAfee
03-15-2007, 09:56 PM
To quote Uncle Jim, a no is still a no.

True enough. Can't really argue with that logic. But...but...it's a good no. :D

Saundra Julian
03-16-2007, 02:30 AM
I think it's great! I wish you the very best... :Hug2:

FloVoyager
03-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Sorry it was a rejection, but it was an encouraging one. Unless this agent sends everybody he rejects this other agents' way (unlikely), you got a personal note, and that is better than the standard form rejection. Good luck with that second agent! :)