Not for him, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
So I sent out a query today, plus five pages, to an agent. I didn't expect him to get back so soon, but he did. The first line was a standard, "This isn't right for me," but the next line was something I normally didn't see. He said, "You might try (insert name of agency)?" I thought this was exciting. I mean, maybe that means he at least saw some merit in my work, right? Maybe that's a naive way of looking at it, and he was just being nice. Anyway, I did send a submission that agency, and I'm still waiting for a reply, but if he thinks this agency might be a good fit, that gives me some hope. Oops. I probably shouldn't be hopeful.

Anyway, this was a good rejection as far as rejection goes!

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, any rejection beyond the simple form letter is a good rejection, unless the agent writes you back to say "Boy, you really stink!" Since most agents would never do such a thing, any departure from the norm indicates they read and appreciated your work, if only a little. So I'm told, anyway. I've had a few agents tell me my writing was very good, but the story wasn't for them. I like those. No one's ever reccomended another agency to me before, though.

I say kudos to you. :)

Reaction score
To quote Uncle Jim, a no is still a no.

scarletpeaches, little ray of sunshine.

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry it was a rejection, but it was an encouraging one. Unless this agent sends everybody he rejects this other agents' way (unlikely), you got a personal note, and that is better than the standard form rejection. Good luck with that second agent! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.