Samhain- Closed to Subs

LilaDubois

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liladubois.com
I just wanted to let everyone know that Samhain is closing it's doors to subs.

It looks like it will be closed for the summer. Authors already pubbed with them are okay.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Whew! I got mine in just in time then. I don't write Erotica, but the thread title caught my eye. I subbed a MG to them and they rejected, but suggested revisions and said they'd look again if I did them.

I'm waiting to hear back.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I did too...I sent a query and partial to them a couple of weeks ago and am waiting to hear!

LilaDubois

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liladubois.com
I'm with you two, I just contracted about 6 weeks ago and it was for an anthology.

From what I'm hearing their schedule is full through 2007! Yikes!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Whew! I got mine in just in time then. I don't write Erotica, but the thread title caught my eye. I subbed a MG to them and they rejected, but suggested revisions and said they'd look again if I did them.

I'm waiting to hear back.

Me, too! I subbed a spec.fic. about 3 weeks ago. So glad I snuck in under the wire!

(Trying not to chew nails or get hopes up too high. Being realistic and all that...)

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Just for clarification, Samhain's website says they're still taking agented submissions, referrals from editors, and material for the special projects they have going. So they're not totally closed for subs.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
A Samhain editor said the end of Summer at Romance Divas.

goatprincess

untitled
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what word count Samhain is usually looking for when they're open for submissions? I want to recommend them to a fellow writer for future reference and I'd like to give him an idea of what book length they like to see. Anyone know?

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score
Christine & Jersey Chick. I've visited the Samhain site just to check it out. They have a lot of romance novels there. Is that their mainstay?
Here is it's definition Samhain . . . Yes, I found it on the internet. I'm not THAT smart.

Samhain is the Celtic harvest festival which occurs on October 31 or November 1. It marked the ending of the fertile period of the year and the beginning of winter. During the winter period, it was believed that a path to "another world" was open, allowing spirits and such to visit people at night.

So you can see why I was expecting a little something else. I saw that they have genres other than romance and I looked through a lot of them. But a lot of them were romance too. So is it like their mainstay?

Not looking to submit right now, which seems good since they're not taking any right now. But I saw someone say something about ePublishing. Is that what they are?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
AFAIK, they are focusing on romance and stories with strong romantic elements. They used to accept other genres, but I'm pretty sure they aren't any longer (unless they have those pesky strong romantic elements.)

But if you have something and you aren't sure if it'll fit, take a look at their submission guidelines.

Yes, they release all books as ebooks. I think only books that are 65k+ go to print. They have distribution and their paperbacks are stocked in Barnes & Noble (and perhaps Borders - but I'm not in Borders that often so I can't say for certain.) They also have an excellent reputation, and are well regarded.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I've got three books with Samhain and yes, they're focusing on romance now.

They come out as E-books then as Jersey Chick said depending on word count you go to print. I've yet to see my books on any shelves in Borders or BN. :-(