PDA

View Full Version : why some post in SYW asking for opinions...

Angelinity
03-14-2007, 04:56 PM
.... only to go into fits of range when the work is not applauded as.... 'genius'?

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57414

if it's 'genius', then go POD and get ready to turn the world on its ear.

alleycat
03-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, at least he's learned to use the cut-and-paste function. Perhaps he has a future career in clerical.

Haggis
03-14-2007, 05:11 PM
This is only a guess, but I'm thinking he won't be back.

tjwriter
03-14-2007, 05:21 PM
OMG!!

:ROFL: :roll: :crazy: :Wha: :eek: :Jaw: :e2hammer:

That was...interesting to say the least.

spike
03-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Golden word syndrome with an overdeveloped ego.

In my writers group, we have an opportunity to read our work to the group. But before you do, you must tell if you want a critique or just applause.

You'd be surprised how many people just want applause.

Sheryl Nantus
03-14-2007, 05:25 PM
might want to have a mod edit that down to... something less painful on the eyes.

*shrugs*

kristie911
03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
:roll: :Wha: :crazy:

Now that's funny!

I expect he wanted this: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

Kate Thornton
03-14-2007, 05:36 PM
All that time and effort wasted - whatta looney. Looks like someone found the "font size" key...

alleycat
03-14-2007, 05:38 PM
He just needs more confidence in himself.

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 05:44 PM
That must have been Gordon. :D

WHat's funny is to read that huge ugly page, and then read the critiques like they come after it.

brianm
03-14-2007, 05:47 PM
:roll:

Well, at least he didn't single out one person. If you read his other posts, you'll see that he thinks himself quite the revolutionary writer.

brianm
03-14-2007, 05:50 PM
He just needs more confidence in himself.
No. He needs his mouth washed out, and a good spanking. Nothing like a good spanking to settle a child down. :whip:

Shadow_Ferret
03-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Aww. I wish he had left it. I wanted to read more of his longiloquent and prolix writing than just those sample sentences angelinity quoted.

alleycat
03-14-2007, 05:53 PM
No. He needs his mouth washed out, and a good spanking. Nothing like a good spanking to settle a child down.
As long as you don't oppress him further.

And don't mention spanking. Terri might read this and get all excited.

Angelinity
03-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Aww. I wish he had left it. I wanted to read more of his longiloquent and prolix writing than just those sample sentences angelinity quoted.

...yup, i have an unfair advantage. jealous, ain't ya? (ETA... there was an invisible 'wink' in here... i better colour it in ---> ;)

Calla Lily
03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Oh...my...gosh. :eek: :Jaw: :e2thud:

He should meet the mother-daughter team I just "disinvited" to my crit group. They'd reduce him to quivering shreds in a mere 15 minutes.

brianm
03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
And don't mention spanking. Terri might read this and get all excited.

Heck, I'm getting excited. Where's me paddle? :e2brows:

Pagey's_Girl
03-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Well, at least he's learned to use the cut-and-paste function. Perhaps he has a future career in clerical.

More like one of the staff people we secretaries would like to feed to the shredder...

Uh, seriously, though - OMG. :eek:

*Psst - if we need a whip, a certain muse of mine is rumored to have carried one in his suitcase...* :wink:

Sweetlebee
03-14-2007, 06:21 PM
We better warn PeeDee. He's gonna need the Costco-size jar of anti-itch cream.

davids
03-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Ego-understanding of self

Antithesis-the poster at the top of this post

MidnightMuse
03-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Wow, that was something else entirely ! And when you scroll through all the cut & paste quickly, it blurs into something with the word penis in it.

Cool.

brianm
03-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Wow, that was something else entirely ! And when you scroll through all the cut & paste quickly, it blurs into something with the word penis in it.

Cool.

Oh, please... I beg you! Do not be starting another conversation with that word in it.
:flag:

veinglory
03-14-2007, 06:35 PM
If you see this sort of hissy fit, a PM to a mod is appreciated.

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 06:55 PM

Sorry. Given the size of the letters, and the blatancy of it, I figured a mod noticed...

It does really irk me the kids who show up for nothing but critiques (participate in no other manner) and then whine and cry when people........critique them. Seriously. grow a spine.

ChaosTitan
03-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Dang. I missed all the fun. :(

Ah well, where there's one....

Thump
03-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Apparently so did I!

I'm dying of curiosity now but the thread seems to be no longer accessible... :( Just my luck!

Angelinity
03-14-2007, 07:22 PM

....sorry... but... you must agree there is more to learn and share from keeping it up for a few more minutes.... than taking it down right away...

and, honestly, i didn't think about it at the time (telling a mod, i mean)... was still numb from the stun shot...

Namatu
03-14-2007, 07:47 PM
It was most impressive. The (original) words, so big. The edited words, so... big. :Wha:

Southern_girl29
03-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I wish I could have seen it.

Sassenach
03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Because they're stupid, unprofessional gits.

Next...?

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Because they're stupid, unprofessional gits.

Next...?

That's your answer to half these questions on AW...

...oh. Hang on. That's cause it actually *IS* the answer to half the questions on AW.... :D

ChaosTitan
03-14-2007, 08:46 PM
It was most impressive. The (original) words, so big. The edited words, so... big. :Wha:

Now you're just teasing us. :cry:

Namatu
03-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Now you're just teasing us. :cry:
Cry away. You missed it in all its GENIUS! :e2tongue:

alleycat
03-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Here's the gist of it:

You are all f***ing jealous idiots!
My writing is a work of genius!!!!!!!!!!!

Just continue that line about 60 more times.

Calla Lily
03-14-2007, 09:19 PM
You forgot to make the first line RED!!!

And didn't he also say something about how we're just trying to keep him down?

I'd laugh harder if I though it was all al joke...alas, I've met writers like that.

Almost as scary as Christian writers who announce that every word of their ms. is directly inspired by the Holy Spirit, and if anyone tries to make any changes, they're sinning against God.

I promise I'm not making that up.:Wha: I always hope that were I to read the ms, that God has a grasp of grammar...

Namatu
03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Almost as scary as Christian writers who announce that every word of their ms. is directly inspired by the Holy Spirit, and if anyone tries to make any changes, they're sinning against God.

:ROFL:

"To my agent: I can't change that. I am God's instrument. He told me what to write. To edit is to blaspheme!"

And now I'm going to hell...

J. Weiland
03-14-2007, 09:27 PM
It's been removed. :(

But thanks for quoting, Alleycat. I would have liked to read the original post, though.

alleycat
03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I wasn't quoting exactly. That was pretty close though.

brianm
03-14-2007, 09:32 PM
You forgot to make the first line RED!!!

And didn't he also say something about how we're just trying to keep him down?

I'd laugh harder if I though it was all al joke...alas, I've met writers like that.

I promise I'm not making that up.:Wha: I always hope that were I to read the ms, that God has a grasp of grammar...

You see that and this in many threads on PAMB.

"God inspired me to write this book, and now I have put it in His hands."

Rolling Thunder
03-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, but God likes me best. The rest of you are all doomed. :D

alleycat
03-14-2007, 09:35 PM
You need to put that in font size 7.

Thank you.

czjaba
03-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Sounds like it was an interesting post. I missed it. :e2bummed:
But it does sound like something I have read before in SYW. I just don't understand why someone will ask for a critique, then get all pissed off when they get one, an honest one at that. If they want, "It's really good. Send it to an agent, " they should get their mothers to critique it for them, not people here that actually take up valuable time to read.

Angelinity
03-14-2007, 09:58 PM
yeah, like alleycat quoted. and...

"...ALL YOU ON THIS F****G FORUM ARE TRYING TO OPRESS ME!!!"

guess he wasn't gonna let us keep him down -- shameless opressors that we are.

Calla Lily
03-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Hah. God likes me best--after all, we're divorced and He got custody of the universe. Leaving me free to pursue conjugal bliss with mere mortals.:e2brows:

Soccer Mom
03-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Heh. I'm going to try that next time I submit. "You have to publish this. God says so."

WildScribe
03-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Was this Gordon, then?

MidnightMuse
03-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Waaaiiit one second there, Soccer Mumsie - are you suggesting Agents are mere mortals?!?

Blasphemy!!

Rolling Thunder
03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Sounds more like two certain members who were just banned in the last two weeks. Both had the same attitude.

alleycat
03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Waaaiiit one second there, Soccer Mumsie - are you suggesting Agents are mere mortals?!?

Blasphemy!!
She said agents, not editors.

Namatu
03-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Agents are angels of the editors.

Pagey's_Girl
03-14-2007, 11:26 PM
But it does sound like something I have read before in SYW. I just don't understand why someone will ask for a critique, then get all pissed off when they get one, an honest one at that. If they want, "It's really good. Send it to an agent, " they should get their mothers to critique it for them, not people here that actually take up valuable time to read.

Well, yeah, that's what I want, but only if it's true.:) Next to her computer, a good, honest critique is a writer's best friend.

AnneMarble
03-14-2007, 11:33 PM
I looked at it but never got a chance to read most of the replies. :( I wonder if I have it in my cache...

Heck, if I give it to my mother, she'll correct my typos, words, and awkward phrasing. And she'll point out there should be more description, she wants more about how the character reacted to this or that, or that the characters aren't acting right... :D

But yup, I don't understand it either. I belong to one site that has a snippets board where you could put up short bits just so people could see what you had done (separate from the critique board, and if you flamed people on the critique board, you would... go away). Maybe some people think "Share Your Work" means that no one is allowed to critique you. :rolleyes: But it's just as likely some people think they want critiques but expect all critiques to say "You're a genius, there's nothing wrong, submit it now!" Well ...
:wag:

davids
03-14-2007, 11:37 PM
I looked at it but never got a chance to read most of the replies. :( I wonder if I have it in my cache...

Heck, if I give it to my mother, she'll correct my typos, words, and awkward phrasing. And she'll point out there should be more description, she wants more about how the character reacted to this or that, or that the characters aren't acting right... :D

But yup, I don't understand it either. I belong to one site that has a snippets board where you could put up short bits just so people could see what you had done (separate from the critique board, and if you flamed people on the critique board, you would... go away). Maybe some people think "Share Your Work" means that no one is allowed to critique you. :rolleyes: But it's just as likely some people think they want critiques but expect all critiques to say "You're a genius, there's nothing wrong, submit it now!" Well ...
:wag:

Actaully we have "You're a genius, there's nothing wrong, submit now!" tattooed on my ass where it belongs-if this guy is who I think he is-his writing needs to say the least a bit of tidy repair-but then he is a genius!!!!

PeeDee
03-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Actaully we have "You're a genius, there's nothing wrong, submit now!" tattooed on my ass where it belongs-if this guy is who I think he is-his writing needs to say the least a bit of tidy repair-but then he is a genius!!!!

Tattooed on your ass. :roll: That's priceless!

brianm
03-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Was this Gordon, then?

The OP was "Insert name".

PeeDee
03-15-2007, 01:07 AM
I was joking when I said it was Gordon. :)

brianm
03-15-2007, 01:15 AM
It's catching.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58003

Glad I took my "I'm the greatest and most knowledgeable writer in the world" pills this morning.

veinglory
03-15-2007, 01:26 AM
The critters in SYW do a great job and it pisses me off when all they get in return is an insult. I cannot think of many other places where such gifted writers donate their time and expertise so unselfishly without the need for any kind of points system or other cajolling. Please don't let the dogs in the manger spoil it, peeps.

http://bestsmileys.com/reading/2.gif

Rolling Thunder
03-15-2007, 01:33 AM
I dunno, Vein. We could run out of willing critters long before blithering morons.

MidnightMuse
03-15-2007, 01:41 AM
:Jaw: Sadly, there's no explanation, nor cure, for blithering morons.

No shortage, either.

veinglory
03-15-2007, 01:45 AM
That is what worries me.

http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/3.gif http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/7.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/6.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/freak/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/drooling/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/freak/5.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/sick/9.gif

brianm
03-15-2007, 01:46 AM
I demand Bufty come out of hiding! Some of us in SYW are getting tired of taking his share of slaps. :D

alleycat
03-15-2007, 01:50 AM

No shortage, either.
Leave me out of this!

SpookyWriter
03-15-2007, 01:53 AM
I was joking when I said it was Gordon. :)Sure you were, buddy. ;)

PeeDee
03-15-2007, 01:54 AM
SHUT UP I HATE YOU *STOMPS OUT SLAM*

SpookyWriter
03-15-2007, 01:56 AM
'bout time.

Carrie in PA
03-15-2007, 01:57 AM
SHUT UP I HATE YOU *STOMPS OUT SLAM*

Yanno, if you were TRULY the CHOSEN ONE, then GOD would slam the door FOR you.

maestrowork
03-15-2007, 01:59 AM
SHUT UP, I HATE YOU. *STOMPS OUT AND SLAM*

You're a bad writer.

Rolling Thunder
03-15-2007, 02:01 AM
Yanno, if you were TRULY the CHOSEN ONE, then GOD would slam the door FOR you.

Choosy immortals choose ..........well, not Pete anyway.

MidnightMuse
03-15-2007, 02:03 AM
Leave me out of this!

You're not short, silly.

PeeDee
03-15-2007, 02:03 AM
u all maek me want 2 die

onli kurt cobayne undestands m3

brianm
03-15-2007, 02:06 AM
u all maek me want 2 die

Who's Kurt Cobayne?

Carrie in PA
03-15-2007, 02:07 AM
Choosy immortals choose ..........well, not Pete anyway.

I KNOW THIS ONE!!!! JIF!!!

Rolling Thunder
03-15-2007, 02:10 AM
I KNOW THIS ONE!!!! JIF!!!

Thats the one! The good brand of Petenut butter! Not that store bought brand we got stuck with. :D

PeeDee
03-15-2007, 02:11 AM
Who's Kurt Cobayne?

he wuz kilt by teh goverment 4 keepign it r33l wif his muzik

spike
03-15-2007, 02:12 AM

No shortage, either.

There is a cure. It's called rejections. Many, many rejections. Some are cured by this and learn their craft. Others simply go the vanity route.

PeeDee
03-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Either way, out of our hair... :)

Pagey's_Girl
03-15-2007, 02:14 AM
u all maek me want 2 die

Diet Dr. Pepper, meet sinuses...:ROFL:

And I also think becoming a part of the community before you start asking for crits is only common courtesy.

brianm
03-15-2007, 02:14 AM
he wuz kilt by teh goverment 4 keepign it r33l wif his muzik

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

K1P1
03-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Geez, I always miss all the fun.

Soccer Mom
03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Y'all were way too mean to him. He was so misunderstood. He just needs PHENTERMINE.

you have no idea how hard it was to keep a straight face while typing that.

Namatu
03-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I think I preferred InsertName's outrage. It was much more succinct, although it did make my vision blur.

dpaterso
03-15-2007, 05:32 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/3.gif http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/7.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/6.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/freak/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/drooling/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/freak/5.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/sick/9.gif
Heck, I know these people. I've met every single one of them online. (Whoops, I almost said "on AW")

-Derek

Pagey's_Girl
03-15-2007, 05:48 PM
And Pete sounded like he was channeling the girl on a music board I post to who thinks Kurt Cobain is God.

*Unsuccessfully resists the urge to add "when everyone KNOWS Jimmy Page is!"*

maestrowork
03-15-2007, 07:47 PM
IN is gone. Don't ever mess with the Maestro.

:D

Calla Lily
03-15-2007, 07:51 PM
IN is gone. Don't ever mess with the Maestro.

:D

:Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

DeadlyAccurate
03-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I demand Bufty come out of hiding! Some of us in SYW are getting tired of taking his share of slaps. :D

God knows I'm losing patience with the newbie SYW posters. Three newbies insulting me in two weeks was almost enough to make me stay out of SYW for good. Two of them flounced away, though sadly without the requisite "the lurkers support me in email" first. Fortunately, most people who post their work are polite, even newbies, so I've stuck around for the time being.

Birol
03-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Heck, I know these people. I've met every single one of them online. (Whoops, I almost said "on AW")

-Derek

And they're all mods.

Birol
03-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Two of them flounced away, though sadly without the requisite "the lurkers support me in email" first.

The lurkers don't get their genius, either.

Soccer Mom
03-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I am more likely to crti something posted by someone I "know" from participating in other forums on AW. The only SYW area where I might crit a newbie is in the Children's Writing. For some reason, I have never been flamed there. (Although it will probably happen now that I've said that.)

I almost never crit for someone with a tiny number of posts.

brianm
03-15-2007, 09:14 PM
DA,

Don't let them get under your skin. The nasty responders are rare, and I know that if you stopped doing crits in SYW, it would suffer from your absence.

I have had my fair share of nasty responses, and one in particular nearly made me stop doing crits. I questioned whether I had the requisite experience and tools allowing me to post critiques. Then I remembered what a critic is...

http://209.161.33.50/dictionary/critic

Critic

1 a: one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgment of its value, truth, righteousness, beauty, or technique.

My crits are my opinion. That's all. Right or wrong, good or bad, they are my opinion of what I have read. So long as my opinion is expressed in a reasoned manner, I have the right to express my opinion when someone posts in SYW. The OP has the same right to disagree with my opinion, so long as they do it in a reasoned manner.

Insulting a critic and calling them nasty names is not responding in a reasoned manner. Politely questioning a critic's opinion is reasonable and may result in a reasonable discussion of the posted work.

A person who posts in SYW has asked all members to express their opinions. If they don't want opinions from members with different levels of writing experience, backgrounds, and tastes, they should not post in SYW.

maestrowork
03-15-2007, 09:52 PM
My crits are my opinion.

I think that's something everyone should remember. These are opinions, and like any other opinions, you don't have to agree, and you can certainly ignore. There really is no reason to attack someone who spend time reading your stuff and give an opinion. If you don't agree, just say "thank you for your time" and move on.

Siddow
03-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I almost stayed out of SYW after being tricked by that jerk who posted a passage from an 'award winning writer' (who I've never heard of--title or author).

Then I remembered that I'm an award winning writer (who nobody's heard of, either), and the poster was just...a jerk.

BardSkye
03-15-2007, 10:03 PM
God knows I'm losing patience with the newbie SYW posters. Three newbies insulting me in two weeks was almost enough to make me stay out of SYW for good. Two of them flounced away, though sadly without the requisite "the lurkers support me in email" first. Fortunately, most people who post their work are polite, even newbies, so I've stuck around for the time being.

And those of us who really, truly want to improve their work and learn, thank all the talented critters who give so unselfishly of their time.
:Hail:

maestrowork
03-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I almost stayed out of SYW after being tricked by that jerk who posted a passage from an 'award winning writer' (who I've never heard of--title or author).

Hey, I resemble that remark.

maestrowork
03-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Speaking of Bufty, where is he?

veinglory
03-15-2007, 10:10 PM
I will be trying to keep a closer eye on things. For the record the appropriate response to any and all crits is "thank you", perhaps ask for clarification--do not rebut or belittle. My finger is on the lever for the trapdoor. :)

LeslieB
03-15-2007, 10:25 PM
I will be trying to keep a closer eye on things. For the record the appropriate response to any and all crits is "thank you", perhaps ask for clarification--do not rebut or belittle. My finger is on the lever for the trapdoor. :)

The thing that really irks me is that the ingrates make it so hard to ask for that clarification. When I posted a piece on SYW, I wanted to discuss some of the crits, not to argue or complain but to understand their advice better. I was having fits over how to phrase my questions so that I wouldn't look like one of the prima donnas. People like that make it really difficult to establish a real dialogue.

davids
03-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Bufty's been in New Zealand having a bit of fun-he is back and fixing a few things I expect-that is before he returns to clip and rip-of course in his usual honorable and most constructively helpful manner

veinglory
03-15-2007, 10:31 PM
New Zealand, sigh.

davids
03-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Yah and I don't think he even took a fly rod-sigh-but he did take a brolly-he aint that dumb!!!!

brianm
03-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Bufty's been in New Zealand having a bit of fun-he is back and fixing a few things I expect-that is before he returns to clip and rip-of course in his usual honorable and most constructively helpful manner

Frankly, I'm getting a wee bit tired of his kilt covered arse still being AWOL. I want to do crits by saying, "I agree with what Bufty said," while sipping away on one of Siddow's cocktails.:e2drunk:

veinglory
03-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Jus don't try and use it in Wellington, that place is cyclone alley.

[stabbing pang of home-sickness]

davids
03-15-2007, 10:37 PM
That's what they got them there Wellys fer-yah wear em on yer hayd don't cha? I mean when them cycloney is blowin'? Ditto Brian by the way-it is sooo much easier to just say I agree with Bufty!

veinglory
03-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Ah'm a-hijacking this thread and flying it to Stewart Island.

Birol
03-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Jus don't try and use it in Wellington, that place is cyclone alley.

[stabbing pang of home-sickness]

It's March in Illinois, Em. Come visit me here. We can wear skirts and loose tops and let the wind flash people on the highway for us.

Rolling Thunder
03-15-2007, 10:41 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/Rllgthunder/threadjacked.gif

davids
03-15-2007, 10:42 PM
sounds like the thread has been jacked and if Birol can lend me a damn kilt-ah'll join yer! Hairy loosed topped blouses and such-maybe I should just get the video! meaning me as in hairy topped loosed blouse kilted elderly person!

veinglory
03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
I can;t see the picture

[cries]

I'm only one state over now, we should have a party :)

I'll bring the beer.

Soccer Mom
03-15-2007, 11:43 PM
:partyguy: Did someone say party?

davids
03-15-2007, 11:48 PM
BEER!!!-AARRGGH-bolony sammiches-Duff beer-AARRGGH yum slurp-ZZZZ!

veinglory
03-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Somebody bring me an electric razor and a bowl of warm water...

davids
03-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Your sooo cute

Soccer Mom
03-16-2007, 12:21 AM
:popcorn:

brianm
03-16-2007, 12:51 AM
It's not a wonder Bufty is staying away. You people have gone completely daft.:e2woo:

Rolling Thunder
03-16-2007, 12:54 AM
He made us what we are. :D

BenPanced
03-16-2007, 01:03 AM
And the requisite 14 posts saying I'M LEAVING AND NEVER COMING BACK!, I'm sure.

LeslieB
03-16-2007, 01:17 AM
It's not a wonder Bufty is staying away. You people have gone completely daft.:e2woo:

Nooooooooooo! You've changed your icon. :cry: No more warm, er, fuzzies from seeing Gerard Butler's hotness.

And here I was hoping you would switch to a '300' icon. :tongue

maestrowork
03-16-2007, 01:19 AM
You mean this, Leslie?

http://www.gerard-butler-forum.de/GBUSA300Mofix1.jpg

LeslieB
03-16-2007, 01:21 AM
You mean this, Leslie?

That will do nicely.

maestrowork
03-16-2007, 01:25 AM
This thread is officially off the cliff like the Persian soldiers in 300.

veinglory
03-16-2007, 01:29 AM
And the requisite 14 posts saying I'M LEAVING AND NEVER COMING BACK!, I'm sure.

Followed by starting a sockpuppet account within 72 hours.

roach
03-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Nooooooooooo! You've changed your icon. :cry: No more warm, er, fuzzies from seeing Gerard Butler's hotness.

Nononono! Keep the Marquise!

brianm
03-16-2007, 02:36 AM

Happy now? :D

Sage
03-16-2007, 03:01 AM
The thing that really irks me is that the ingrates make it so hard to ask for that clarification. When I posted a piece on SYW, I wanted to discuss some of the crits, not to argue or complain but to understand their advice better. I was having fits over how to phrase my questions so that I wouldn't look like one of the prima donnas. People like that make it really difficult to establish a real dialogue.
Yes, exactly. You might not understand what the critter is getting at or want advice on how to go about doing what they're suggesting, but it's so hard to ask when you know that there are people who argue & you fear you might be seen as one of them.

Birol
03-16-2007, 03:17 AM

I'd suggest starting out with something like, "Thank you to everyone who took the time to crit. I just have a couple of questions/would like to clarify a couple of things the critters have said. BrianM, you noted, in paragraph 2, that.... Did you have/Could you please...."

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 03:24 AM
I'd suggest starting out with something like, "Thank you to everyone who took the time to crit. I just have a couple of questions/would like to clarify a couple of things the critters have said. BrianM, you noted, in paragraph 2, that.... Did you have/Could you please...."

Usually, what I try to do is instead of saying "Yeah, but..." or some such, I explain what *I* meant by the passage in question. And if we turn out to be along the same lines, great. If not, then usually they'll explain in more detail.

And then I thank them profusely. Because I always remember that these folks aren't getting paid. A critique group like SYW is a very, very rare thing. The closest thingto it is Critters, and even then they're miles apart.

LeslieB
03-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Happy now? :D

Oh yes. Yes indeed.

*gets misty eyed*

(All joking aside, it is your icon. Obviously you can do whatever you like. But Gerard Butler with that little smile gives me an 'oh, baby!' reaction when I see it. Forgive an old broad's cheap thrills.)

LeslieB
03-16-2007, 03:44 AM

I managed to get through it without ticking anyone off, but I have to confess it made me very leery of doing it again. I was a bundle of nerves every time I hit the Submit Reply button.

PeeDee
03-16-2007, 03:46 AM
This is where it also helps to, you know, join the community and not just show up to have your story critted. I mean, if I start going "yeah, but..." with a story, I may still heat people up but I won't lambast them for trying to help me...and they will probably be more willing to help me, because I'm a known quantity. I'm not complaining by post number three.

I really don't likethe practice of just showing up to be critted...

Pagey's_Girl
03-16-2007, 04:21 AM
And those of us who really, truly want to improve their work and learn, thank all the talented critters who give so unselfishly of their time.
:Hail:

Seconded...

veinglory
03-16-2007, 04:25 AM
I agree to that actie community members really should always be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to tone (sig lines and so forth) ;)

aruna
03-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey, I missed then! Someone send me the link!!!!