If a Cell Phone Fell Would You Hear It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdCarroll

Registered
Reaction score
If your victim was talking to you on her cell phone, and dropped (and broke) it when she was attacked, what would you hear?
Would you hear the phone hit the floor (like a clatter) or would it just go dead?

Thanks,

Ed

Writing the last page of the first draft is the most enjoyable moment in writing. It's one of the most enjoyable moments in life, period. - Nicholas Sparks

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree - you'd probably just hear a clatter, or thump, or some other similar sound. If the phone isn't damaged when it falls, you might hear muffled background sounds, but if it breaks, probably just a thud.

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Okay, let's all call our cell phones from our land lines and then hurl our cells to the floor in the name of research. Is it okay if we bill you for the damages, Ed? :) (But seriously, Ed, did you try that? I've tried all sorts of things for research--the stupidest being having a fight with my 19-year-old son. He didn't mean to hurt me...)

EdCarroll

Registered
Reaction score
This is a potential inconsistency that I discovered when I went back and read my free-writing.
The victim, Mamma, is always talking on her cell phone, so the odds are very good that she was on her phone the moment that she was attacked.

Mamma had been talking to Robin for more than ten minutes when she said to her, “I hear someone coming. Don’t hang up.”
The footsteps became louder as Mamma held her breath. Suddenly she recognized the killer.

And Robin heard, “Mister Baxter? What are you doing here?” Then the phone went dead.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, call on me for this one. I'm a spaz and have dropped my phone on many occasions. I have it on a reliable authority (okay, my husband and my mother) that it's just like a dropped call. One minute I'm there. The next I'm gone. Occasionally, if they are really lucky, they can hear me cussing as I fumble and drop the phone. Usually the phone doesn't break. And trust me. I've dropped my phone A LOT of times. Mostly the battery the batter falls off, causing the phone to be DOA. Once I damaged the screen.

But phones can take a pretty good beating.

Status
Not open for further replies.