Here's a silly question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I have a male character in my WIP named Noel.

How would you pronounce his name?

Reaction score
Nole, rhymes with 'pole' or 'goal'.

I'd only pronounce it no-ell if I was referring to the Christmas period.

tela

Registered
Reaction score
I actually know a man with that name. One of my husband's employee's name is Noel and its pronounced just like you would expect NO-EL.
Tela

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Knoll.

If I heard "No-el" I would expect the person to be a girl, but I could see a guy's name being pronounced that way too.

I have a coworker named Manoel. It's pronounced "Man-o-lo."

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, thank you, guys! I intended it to be pronounced No-well (the girly way), so I'm assuming I'll need a quick line explaining in the book.

More opinions are of course appreciated ;)

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
It may rhyme with pole or goal in the UK, but in the US it's Noh-wll. (We say Powell differently, too, just to keep things confused.)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Okay, thank you, guys! I intended it to be pronounced No-well (the girly way), so I'm assuming I'll need a quick line explaining in the book.

Does it matter to the reader how it's pronounced? Is there a significance in the story to having it pronounced No-well? If not, let the reader decide how to pronounce it and don't worry about it.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
When I read the name Noel, I automatically hear it like the Christmas season is pronounced. If I know I'm hearing it in my head wrong, I'll work to try to change that so I don't mispronounce it when I'm speaking.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score

I agree with Shadow, it really doesn't matter. I suspect, however, that the majority of people that read Noel will interpret it as "No-Well", as they will equate the spelling with the Christmas pronunciation. But, if you absolutely need to inform the reader that it is "No-Well", a quick blurb about his parents taking their Christmas spirit to the limit by naming him that, should suffice.

Tossing down my two pennies. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've known a Noel who pronounced is "Nole" and one who pronounced it "No-el." It's up to the parents who dubbed it how it's said, not dependent on whether you're in (or from) the US or the UK.

So yes, I agree that if you intend it to fall on the reader's ear as "No-el," you need a line of explanation, especially if it matters. Personally, I avoid names that require explaining or a pronunciation guide, but that's just me.

Maryn, whose real name is mispronounced constantly

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If using "Noel" in relation to Christmas, doesn't it have the little double-dots above the "o"? I don't know how to make my word processor do that, but without those dots, I'd just pronounce it "knoll."

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I had thought of Noel as the male version of Noelle, but my friend gave her daugher the middle name Noel and I just assume it is pronounced "No-elle." For a male I would not say it that way. I would say it to rhyme with pole as someone mentioned before.

Reaction score
I wouldn't pronounce it anything like 'knoll'. 'Knoll' is pronounced 'noll' and Noel 'Nole'. The Christmassy pronounciation of the word/name requires an umlaut.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Does it matter to the reader how it's pronounced? Is there a significance in the story to having it pronounced No-well? If not, let the reader decide how to pronounce it and don't worry about it.

Hmm...well, it's not vital, but my working title is "Christmastime" and there's sort of an immaculate conception theme, so I would like the reference. (Don't worry, it's hopefully not as cheesy as it sounds!)

I have this right now:

(He's being interviewed)

The one on the bar leans forwards. “Noel…am I pronouncing that right? No-well?”
He nods.

Just a little thing ;)

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...well, it's not vital, but my working title is "Christmastime" and there's sort of an immaculate conception theme, so I would like the reference. (Don't worry, it's hopefully not as cheesy as it sounds!)

I have this right now:

(He's being interviewed)

The one on the bar leans forwards. “Noel…am I pronouncing that right? No-well?”
He nods.

Just a little thing ;)

Perfecto! Problem solved. :)

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't pronounce it anything like 'knoll'. 'Knoll' is pronounced 'noll' and Noel 'Nole'. The Christmassy pronounciation of the word/name requires an umlaut.

I have to say I love it on message boards when people start talking pronunciation, because in my yankee accent, knoll and nole are pronounced the same. Lost in translation? Anyone? Anyone?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, Cat Scratch. Both 'knoll' and 'nole' rhyme with pole to me.

Today at another board, a member named Noel joined a nasty argument. I thought of this thread right away and sent him a private message asking if he intended for us to 'hear' it as "Nole" or "No-ell," phonetically speaking.

He didn't reply, but hey, I tried. Brownie points, right?

Maryn, as in "mare in heat"

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, Cat Scratch. Both 'knoll' and 'nole' rhyme with pole to me.

Today at another board, a member named Noel joined a nasty argument. I thought of this thread right away and sent him a private message asking if he intended for us to 'hear' it as "Nole" or "No-ell," phonetically speaking.

He didn't reply, but hey, I tried. Brownie points, right?

Maryn, as in "mare in heat"

I actually really appreciate that effort! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.