I think I may have witnessed a murder. . .

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so not exactly witnessed, but I'm fairly confident that something harsh went down.

Came home from school and, as it's such a nice day, opened the door to the backyard and slid the screen door in place.

Then I hear this loud squeaking-honking noise, like a chew toy. Before each squeak, there's the sound of something being hit.
After a few of these repetitions, I hear my neighbor (a vicious old woman) scream amidst the squeaking, "Die!"

Now, this isn't the nice neighbor. This is the mean old lady next door, whom no one on the street likes.
She's obsessed with her garden and we constantly hear her husband and her fighting.
Sometimes the husband wakes me up in the morning, hawking up phlegm (yes, he's that loud).
Another time, when I was little, I saw a beautiful flower in their yard so I decided to pick it for my mother. The flower was rooted very deep, and I was struggling to pull it when the neighbor lady came running at me, screaming and cussing at me. Needless to say, I ran away crying.

So. . .given this history, should I be concerned?

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Erm... better be safe than sorry and call the police >.<

They'll forgive you for a false alarm more readily than for not having called at all and it was indeed bad.

Of course, she may just have been killing an unlucky raccoon/cat/squirrel than got into her house (in which case...evil woman!)

Bah, someone who terrifies a kiddy deserves to have the police searching her house anyway.

Plus, if something really bad went on, the hubby/victim might very well need medical help. If you're worried, just ask them on the phone not to tell her who phoned.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Akumo, had you ripped out one my tomato plants as a child, you woulda been serving as the fertilizer for my next crop.

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds more like she was playing wack-a-mole with a garden variety mouse.

But call the cops, call the newspaper, call the tv, tell them you think she's hiding terrorists and drug dealers in the basement. That ought to make her day.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And what about Akuma's trespasses? Should they go unpunished?

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Certainly. Aku was a kid and not responsible. Yup. Plus, the emotional scarring and night phlegm coughing of neighbours is punishment enough (especially a life of it >_<)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh Akuma, perhaps just a ground squirrel :)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
MMMM!

Spooky, maybe she was playing with the chew toy. I have 2 small dogs who love their sqeaky toys, but one evening they were clearly agitated and I couldn't find the Bobo (as we call it)

I could hear the squeaks, though. The toddler next door had it, chewing it and playing "doggie" with it.

Maybe your neighbor just got herself a nice squeaky Bobo...

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And, what if her husband was suffering from emphysema and the plant Akuma uprooted was something medicinal the wife brought back from a Chilean rain forest and nurtured it until it was ripe enough to boil into a soup to give the poor man a few more years?

And what if the wife just killed a rabid raccoon about to bite her only granddaughter who was sleeping amidst a bed of wild flowers--the only joy the wife has had since her miserable life began?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, to review, you heard:

Wham!

Squeak.

Wham!

Squeak.

Die Die Die!!!

Squeak.

Hmmm . . . (resisting strong temptation) I'd say maybe it's nothin' :D

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spook, you ain't readin' the good stuff.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, to review, you heard:

Wham!

Squeak.

Wham!

Squeak.

Die Die Die!!!

Squeak.

Hmmm . . . (resisting strong temptation) I'd say maybe it's nothin' :D
It's darn hard to kill those plastic ducks that get into your bathtub.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hitmantub.jpg

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe she was coloring her hair for the first time and got upset with the product she had purchased.

Slamming her fists downs into the table, making the floorboards squeak in the process, she cried out in anguish, whispering at first, "Damn, this isn't hair color. It is DYE! DYE! DYE!"

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Maybe she was coloring her hair for the first time and got upset with the product she had purchased.

Slamming her fists downs into the table, making the floorboards squeak in the process, she cried out in anguish, whispering at first, "Damn, this isn't hair color. It is DYE! DYE! DYE!"
:roll:

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Akuma,

Oh my gosh, I can't quit laughing when I read this thread!!

You have either given a truelly great writing prompt or you are sober serious. I'm like you, if I hear or see something that just doesn't seem right, I want to go into action mode. Granted, there have been times when I was so wrong and off base as to what was actually happening. But, because I thought someone was in danger or being hurt, I was happy to just look stupid and know that nothing like that was happening.

I've often wondered how I would have responded onboard one of the flights of 9/11. Even now, I see something strange and I start thinking as to what action I would take. There have been times I have intervened when I came up on a man beating his wife.

I vote that you do a well person check. That's where you call the authroities, tell them you are concerned for your neighbor and tell them what you heard. Tell them you would like to remain anonimous to your neighbors. The police will go over there and check on the well being of the husband. Even if he isn't hurt, there is a real chance that he could be being abused. Elderly abuse is rampant in this country. If he is, he can get help. If he's okay, he might feel someone actually cares. With him being sickly, there's a real chance (if she is really bitter) that she resents his sickness and tells him to die all the time. That's psychological/emmotional abuse.

As for the flower extraction, you could go buy her a potted plant (maybe something similar) and take it to her to let you know that you are a repentant kid and a nice neighbor. Maybe those two elderly people don't have very many positives in their life and they are just waiting to die.

You sound like a very sensitive/mature young man. I'm glad you are at least concerned. There are WAY too many people in this world that don't give a damn about another's life.

kid

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
You didn't witness a murder, I'm sad to say. You witnessed a bitter old lady stomping on a squeaky toy. "Why are you so sure of this", you ask? Simple! If she were commiting a murder, given her personality, she'd be laughing maniacally (much like I do when I'm killing something) and then coming for you next. :D