question for you experts

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok Western fans and experts, I have a question for you. I asked it in the ff challenge, but not sure any of you would see it there. I've decided (this week) to have my mc be a recent widow of a preacher in Indian Territory. As long as he was living they lived in a furnished house (so to speak) owned by the church. Was also going to have the horses and a wagon furnished by the church, but am thinking they'd need their own means of arriving in IT, so the animals and wagon probably belong to the couple. How far off base am I here? Is it probable that the church would own the house and furnishings? Is it further probable that she would be asked to vacate the house after her husband dies? Thanks for your help.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
When you say Indian Territory, do you MEAN Indian Territory (basically what is now Oklahoma), or do you mean somewhere Indians were living, either reservations or other enclaves?

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
There are a number of variables here. One is location, as Jeanne mentioned. Another is the church itself. What denomination are we talking about? Finally, there is the nature of the community the preacher will be serving. Are they the sort that are so in need of his services that they'll actually buy him and his family transportation, or is the preacher the sort who would sell his old home to finance his own transport to where he's most needed?

A typical Frontier church was actually more of a community meeting hall that could also be used to hold services. Many of them *looked* like churches, but that wasn't their sole function. They could be financed by subscription, donated by a wealthy group of locals, or built by the preacher himself.

Lots of things to consider, depending on how detailed you want to get.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for you help. To clarify a little, I mean Indian Territory as in what is now Oklahoma. I'm thinking probably down around what is now Ardemore. My best guess is it would be Southern Baptist, but I was thinking of a non-denominational church, much like was seen on the old westerns (when the folks went to church). I realize there may not be a 'church' building and that a community type building or even the school house would be used for church services. The preacher isn't the most dedicated he chose the profession because it looked like an easy way to make a living without really working. He moved his family to IT because it was a way to seperate her from her family. He was a domineering type husband, and verbally abusive. When he preached he preached the hell-fire and damnation sevices. Does that help? I'd even be willing for him to also be the school teacher if need be. Also, I was thinking he didn't actually sell his horses to move to IT, but was so lazy he didn't have any and the townspeople had paid the way for him and his family to come preach. I'm guessing he really wouldn't need a wagon, but maybe the townspeople could provide a horse and buggy for him to visit those in outlying areas. I'm really just thinking here, so any ideas are appreciated.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't think they'd provide either one, unless there was a pressing need for same (especially if it's non-denominational) or he was one hell of a speaker. He also most likely wouldn't last long in a community that *needed* a preacher, since they tended to smell out fakes (at least those who couldn't spin a good sermon) pretty quickly.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok Cav thanks. Can he be a decent or even good preacher and still be an abusive husband without the townfolk knowing about it? Also, if he's a good preacher would he be preaching to the Indians trying to convert them?

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say he could be abusive and go after the "souls of the h'athen" as well, if he's of a mind to do so. Preachers weren't always central figures in these towns (especially if you're doing the IT, which was a pretty wild and hairy place back in "them days"), so he could get away with a fair amount I'd say.

As an aside, the Quakers are most often associated with working with Indians (as a result of Grant's Peace Policy), but there were other groups active as well. Many were carryovers from the Abolitionist movement, though DeSmet (a Jesuit) did a fair amount of stuff in the West before the Civil War.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So could he be an 'shunned' Quaker and he moved his wife and baby to IT to get away from the Quakers and her family? Maybe she wasn't a Quaker? Sheesh, this back story stuff is hard. But it'll make the real story better. Thanks for all your help, I'm loving it

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
If he's a false or weak preacher, it might be best just to make him one of those fire and brimstone tent preachers who use the Bible as an way to get collection money. Maybe he met her on a circuit back East and then decided to "go West, young man" to escape some folks who found out his game. But since he knew the shtick, he stuck with the preacher role and grafted himself onto a town in IT that *thinks* he's some sort of renown man of the cloth. Con artists were just as common back then as they are now, they just didn't have the Internet and E-Bay to hit suckers as quickly as they can now.

Of course, there's sure to be much more to the backstory than I know. Just tossing things out...feel free to keep tossing them.:)

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
So could he be an 'shunned' Quaker and he moved his wife and baby to IT to get away from the Quakers and her family? Maybe she wasn't a Quaker? Sheesh, this back story stuff is hard. But it'll make the real story better. Thanks for all your help, I'm loving it
Back it up, practicing Quaker.

Quakers do not shun. They are NOT the same as Menonites, Amish, or Puritans. Not even close, though all are Protestant religions.

Quakers tended to stick together, just like every other religious group did in those days. It is a pacifistic religion. While it is indeed possible to get a Quaker abuser, you're really going to push credulity with someone being able to be that "fire and brimstone" kind of preacher and still be a Quaker minister. They are NOT about fire and brimstone. They are about personal responsibility and gentleness. Turn the other cheek. Do unto others. There is not a lot of "you're going to Hell unless you do what we say" in the Quaker religion, and there never was. Ran the Underground Railroad because it was right, that sort of thing.

Also, we call ourselves the Society of Friends. Everyone ELSE calls us Quakers because of George Fox, the religion's founder, who said that he "quaked at the name of God" -- this was part of his discussion of why he didn't bow to priests, pray aloud, etc.

Really, don't use a Quaker unless you know something about the religion, because it's far too easy to get it completely wrong. Most get it wrong.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
That was why I suggested circuit rider/faker as opposed to Quaker, Jeanne. It was their depth of conviction that lead Grant to trust many of them as Indian agents in the first place, as the Indian Bureau was overrun with corruption (even by Gilded Age standards).

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Also, non-denominational sounds, without my pulling out all my books to take a closer look, like a far too modern idea. People WERE their religion back then, far more than today. Jews didn't marry Catholics, Catholics didn't marry Episcopalians, and so on.

You would be best, in my opinion, to pick a religion you know well that existed back in the 1800's, and to use that as your basis. Going non-denominational will mean you have less information to make a fully formed, real character in a day and age when most people were aligned strongly to their religion and their religious group.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
That was why I suggested circuit rider/faker as opposed to Quaker, Jeanne. It was their depth of conviction that lead Grant to trust many of them as Indian agents in the first place, as the Indian Bureau was overrun with corruption (even by Gilded Age standards).
Yeah, I like that idea, because they did exist and a writer can certainly can do more with someone like that -- borderline to real charlatan -- than with a "real" minister, if you will.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
In part it depends on the time and place, Jeanne. I agree that the more settled regions did see this sort of religious solidarity (if you'll pardon the use of the term), but the further away from settled areas you got the more "catch as catch can" religion became. Circuit riding preachers were reasonably common (if an area had a preacher at all), and not all of them were of any clear denomination. If extant records are a good guide, I'd suspect many of them would be considered Baptists today.

I'm not an expert on IT/Oklahoma history, so I'll defer to those who are when it comes to specific denominations that might have been present in the area. I know parts of Montana had a very strong Catholic identity, mostly because of the Irish miners who lived there and brought their religion with them. But the less settled regions often went with tent revivals (Seeking Pleasure in the Old West is a great source for this kind of thing...if I had my copy handy I'd be of more detailed help), if they had anything at all. Home bible reading and study was more common.

(edit) I was typing this when you posted your answer, Jeanne. I was leaning toward circuit riding huckster just because of the OP's description of the man.

Last edited:

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Yeah, from the description, it sounds more like a man who grabbed a Bible to use it as a way to get power, versus a man who went through religious training to bring the word of God to others.

And while not all tent preachers were hucksters, there were certainly enough of them out there that it becomes a very believable thing. And also doesn't point a nasty finger at someone else's official religion -- particularly since it doesn't sound like that's a deep part of the text, just more of the backstory.

I know you're right about the circuit preachers, and I also agree that most would probably classify as Baptists, based on the preaching styles alone, let alone other factors. In that home Bible study, however, I would still suggest that people were doing that according to the religion they were raised in/saw themselves as being, rather than in a more non-denominational way.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi ritinrider - In partial answer to your original question about the house (parsonage) being owned by the church - in the midwest that was common in the 1800's (and carried on up through the 20th century). The land for the church and parsonage was donated or acquired by whatever denomination church. The church was usually built first and the parsonage after that. The parsonage was usually very close to the church. When the old minister or preacher retired or was sent to a new place, he and his family vacated the parsonage and the new minister and family moved in. In our small community in Ohio we still have two such situations - one Methodist that goes back to 1812 and one Church of Christ that goes back to about 1835. At one time there was also a Baptist church and parsonage in the community. Hope that helps a little. Puma

Last edited:

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jeanne, please accept my apologies, I certainly didn't mean to step on your (collectively, I mean all Quakers) toes. I'm sure I was lumping several religions together (Mennonite, Amish,Quakers, etc.) it's a bad habit of mine. I also tend to lump most protestant religions together, and as anyone in any of those religions will tell you, there is a vast difference between them. But since you've described your religion so well I don't think my man can be a part of that, or any of the others you mentioned.

Cav Guy, you probably know as much of the back story as I do, since I'm building it now. The original true story was that my gggrandmother traveled to Arkansas with her baby after her husband died of some illness following the Civil War. She supposedly made the trip because his parents were going to take her baby. I always thought she left Georgia or Tennessee (not sure where the family was from) and traveled alone with a small baby. A few years ago I learned that she was traveling from Texas, and she was with her parents who left Texas after the war took one son.
I guess once she left Texas her former inlaws didn't bother following her. That doesn't really make a good story, so I'm making lots of changes.

First I moved her to IT, because I don't know enough about Texas to write about it, heck I'm not sure I know enough about Oklahoma. Also, I couldn't think of a good reason to send her to Arkansas from Texas. So I'm just going to have her head out with no destination in mind, kind of like the book. When I was doing some research at the Oklahoma Historical Society I was told that before the landrush the only whites allowed to live in IT (aside from those who were illegal residents so to speak) where those who had a permit. And to get a permit they had to offer something the Indians couldn't provide for themselves. Preachers were often given permits easily. That's why I went with preacher. I just really need a reason for her and the child (who isn't a baby in my version) to be in IT.
Thanks for all your help.

Puma, feel free to throw your ideas in also.

I hope this is making sense to you all. You see why I usually stict with nonfiction? It's much easier

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
No worries, Ritin'. I've spent a lifetime with folks getting Quakers mixed up with others. Each religious sect has key differences, you just have to be sure of the ones you're going to write about.

Which sort of leads me to ask, why IT? I'm guessing it's because you're physically there (based on your avatar info), but is it the "right" area for you to set your story? I have to say, I've heard your description of what happened to your grandmother -- given the day and age, I think it's a fascinating story. Women were rarely allowed to own property, they were denied rights we consider basic today -- and here is this woman whose relatives leave her off to fend for herself when her husband/their son dies? I think that she survived and clearly prospered is potentially a GREAT story. She was alone, in hostile territory (because most of the West was hostile in those days particularly if you were a woman alone with a baby or small child), and managed to succeed and become a matriarch? Again, to me, that's a fascinating story, just begging to be told.

You're not going to be able to avoid the research, no matter where you set the story. Historical readers are notorious for their attention to detail. It's part of why they love reading historicals -- to learn something new, to find a writer who loves and brings alive whatever period for them. But they are very quick to go check a fact and verify an assertation, and if you're wrong too often or too early, it's all over for them. So, research is going to be a part of your writing life, if you're going for realistic historical fiction of any kind. Ergo, choose the right area for your story, and do the research. It will take a bit longer, but it WILL be worth it (says someone who now knows a whole lot more about the Old West and all the aspects that made it up than she ever thought she would or would need to).

Anyway, I throw my vote in for your grandmother -- she sounds like someone I would truly be excited to know.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ritinrider - I vote with JeanneTGC - There have been so many historical novels written about the "important" people in history - but they were a very small percentage of the total populace. They are not the ones who really tamed the country and fought adversity - it was the little guys, the unknowns who shaped this country. There were many women like your grandmother, especially in the period after the Civil War who had to make it on their own. It's a good story for telling. If I were you, I'd research the actual facts and see what you can come up with. It would still be fiction because you don't know exactly what happened and what was said at any given time - but be closer to non-fiction. Fill in the gaps you can't cover with her actual history with things that were happening in the same area of the country at the time or things that would happen anywhere (church socials, school, going to the store, etc.)

IT Missionaries - one of my brother-in-law's grandfathers was actually a missionary in Indian Territory. He sent his children back east to school every year. Things were pretty rough (I have some of his autobiography around somewhere if you want me to try to dig it up to see if it's got anything interesting - it's typed up on an old typewriter). If I remember correctly he was a Methodist.

Religion 2 - Back in the 1800's many of the churches were fire and brimstone. My family background is Lutheran and from what I've heard the services (late 1800's-early 1900's) were long and there was a lot of preaching about damnation and the wages of sin. There's been a lot of change in religion in the 20th century. If you really want to stick with your preacher story, do some Googling on specific religions even with a time period included, and see if you can pick one that approximates what you're looking for. Then do a LOT of research. (And be sure there was at least one missionary of that denomination in IT)

Your original idea of getting to IT - where was the railroad? Is it possible they went West on a train with only their personal possessions and then had to get a horse and buggy, etc.?

Keep at it, Ritinrider. And good luck! Puma

Last edited:

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
If you decide to use IT, keep in mind that it was a VERY rough place at this time, as Jeanne indicated. If your MC is coming from the Deep South, Texas would be a more "realistic" destination, as many displaced Southerners went there after the war. Montana also attracted some, although mostly from border states like Missouri. Going from Arkansas to Texas wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Putting your MC (and I like the idea of fictionalizing your ancestor, so I vote with Jeanne) in IT also opens up the question of what sort of community she'd live in. The town that would have a church and the like was pretty thin on the ground in many areas of IT, so perhaps Texas would be a better fit. There's a great deal of information available about Texas during this period, so researching it wouldn't be too hard.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which sort of leads me to ask, why IT? I'm guessing it's because you're physically there (based on your avatar info), but is it the "right" area for you to set your story? I have to say, I've heard your description of what happened to your grandmother -- given the day and age, I think it's a fascinating story. Women were rarely allowed to own property, they were denied rights we consider basic today -- and here is this woman whose relatives leave her off to fend for herself when her husband/their son dies? I think that she survived and clearly prospered is potentially a GREAT story. She was alone, in hostile territory (because most of the West was hostile in those days particularly if you were a woman alone with a baby or small child), and managed to succeed and become a matriarch? Again, to me, that's a fascinating story, just begging to be told.

You're not going to be able to avoid the research, no matter where you set the story. Historical readers are notorious for their attention to detail. It's part of why they love reading historicals -- to learn something new, to find a writer who loves and brings alive whatever period for them. But they are very quick to go check a fact and verify an assertation, and if you're wrong too often or too early, it's all over for them. So, research is going to be a part of your writing life, if you're going for realistic historical fiction of any kind. Ergo, choose the right area for your story, and do the research. It will take a bit longer, but it WILL be worth it (says someone who now knows a whole lot more about the Old West and all the aspects that made it up than she ever thought she would or would need to).

Anyway, I throw my vote in for your grandmother -- she sounds like someone I would truly be excited to know.

I'm not sure how much she was left to fend for herself. She and her husband moved with her family from Tenn (or Georgia) to Texas. I gather her dad was a wanderer, never happy no matter where he was. I assume she was married when her family moved to Texas, but she could've met and married him in Texas, I really don't have any idea. I think her husband and one of her brothers died during the war, another brother died shortly after the war. It was after his death that her family moved to Ark and she went with them (with the child). Guess I need to do some research and figure out why some of the folks settled in Ark, or I could have her go West. One of the things I was changing was her traveling with her family, I wanted her to travel alone. Maybe that won't work.

Hi Ritinrider - I vote with JeanneTGC - There have been so many historical novels written about the "important" people in history - but they were a very small percentage of the total populace. They are not the ones who really tamed the country and fought adversity - it was the little guys, the unknowns who shaped this country. There were many women like your grandmother, especially in the period after the Civil War who had to make it on their own. It's a good story for telling. If I were you, I'd research the actual facts and see what you can come up with. It would still be fiction because you don't know exactly what happened and what was said at any given time - but be closer to non-fiction. Fill in the gaps you can't cover with her actual history with things that were happening in the same area of the country at the time or things that would happen anywhere (church socials, school, going to the store, etc.)

IT Missionaries - one of my brother-in-law's grandfathers was actually a missionary in Indian Territory. He sent his children back east to school every year. Things were pretty rough (I have some of his autobiography around somewhere if you want me to try to dig it up to see if it's got anything interesting - it's typed up on an old typewriter). If I remember correctly he was a Methodist.

Religion 2 - Back in the 1800's many of the churches were fire and brimstone. My family background is Lutheran and from what I've heard the services (late 1800's-early 1900's) were long and there was a lot of preaching about damnation and the wages of sin. There's been a lot of change in religion in the 20th century. If you really want to stick with your preacher story, do some Googling on specific religions even with a time period included, and see if you can pick one that approximates what you're looking for. Then do a LOT of research. (And be sure there was at least one missionary of that denomination in IT)

Your original idea of getting to IT - where was the railroad? Is it possible they went West on a train with only their personal possessions and then had to get a horse and buggy, etc.?

Keep at it, Ritinrider. And good luck! Puma

Thanks Puma, I don't know if anybody knows more than the little bit I know or not. Guess I'll be taking a road trip to visit where the family settled in Ark. see if I can learn anything. I'm not sure about the railroad in IT at that time, another thing to research.

If you decide to use IT, keep in mind that it was a VERY rough place at this time, as Jeanne indicated. If your MC is coming from the Deep South, Texas would be a more "realistic" destination, as many displaced Southerners went there after the war. Montana also attracted some, although mostly from border states like Missouri. Going from Arkansas to Texas wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Putting your MC (and I like the idea of fictionalizing your ancestor, so I vote with Jeanne) in IT also opens up the question of what sort of community she'd live in. The town that would have a church and the like was pretty thin on the ground in many areas of IT, so perhaps Texas would be a better fit. There's a great deal of information available about Texas during this period, so researching it wouldn't be too hard.

Actually, she was going from Texas to Arkansas, I must've tranposed my words. I don't have a problem having her go from Texas to Arkansas, I just don't know what was in Arkansas to attract someone. Although there must've been something since plenty of people settled there. I thought about her knowing her family was there, but how did she learn that if they were in Tenn when she left?

Once I get this researched out, and the backstory figured, the actual story better continue to be fun to write.

you guys are great. thanks for all your help. Ever get this book published I'll have to put you all on the acknowledgments page. If it's a best seller I might even spring for dinner for each of you when I'm in your neck of the woods promoting the thing.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
You'll find, as you research, that the ideas and the story will come to you, either from real life or as you learn more about the time period, the areas, and your own ancestors. You'll find and bring out the story, and it will be as only you can tell it.

This has the potential to be a really great book -- I truly hope you pursue it!

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Jeanne, I was worried I'd do too much research and never write the darn book. I love doing research, but it seemed that for every 'fact' I found, there was another one desputing it, and there was the fear of getting 'lost' in the research because it's so enjoyable. As a result, I was just trying to write the story, but that doesn't work, as you all know. So, I'll take a step back and do some more research before striking out again. Now, if I can just find the boxes of geneology stuff. I'll be back later when I figure some more of this back story out. Again, many thanks to all of you:)

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I can only second what Jeanne said. Research is quite the imagination stoker, at least for me. That's actually one of the things I love about writing both Westerns and historicals.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
BRAVO!! to all parties in this thread.

Rider: your true desire to do it up right and asking intelligent questions and really paying attention to the answers. It's bound to be a good work when you're finished.

Cav, Jeanne and Puma. For offering intelligent advice and guidance. This truly is what I consider we at AW are all about - helping each other.

Rider, I can't offer anything but good wishes and encouragement because I just don't have the knowledge the others do that would contribute to your work and help you. But my good wishes you've got in spades!