I could use some prayers...

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out that a Mexican candy I was eating all the time, Limon (a lemon flavored salt) was discontinued and removed from store shelves by health officials because of the high lead content. I had bought this stuff years ago, so I've been eating it intermittently without knowing. I'm really scared for what this could do to my baby, especially since I've eaten a bunch of it since I've been pregnant (I actually found out about the lead because I ran out and was looking for more).

Any prayers for my baby would be appreciated. Lead can cause learning disorders and brain damage in an unborn child, and I've been eating it for months.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Jesus, in Your Holy Name, we bring WildScribe's unborn child before You. Lord God, Your word says that we are fearfully and wonderfully made and that You knit us together in our mother's womb. Jesus, in Your Precious Name, we ask and agree for a miracle for WildScribe's child. Touch this baby with your healing virtue, we ask. Bring health and wellness to this child. Jesus, we ask that the baby would have no negative side effects from WildScribe eating this candy. We pray for well being, and a beautiful, intelligent, healthy baby. In Your Precious Name we pray and believe You for what we've asked. In Jesus Name. Amen

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Talk to your doctor or midwife, sweetie. Your liver and the placenta both act as filters, so keep that in mind. And although it may have unacceptable levels for a candy, you probably haven't been able to ingest all that much, relatively speaking.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I left a message for my doctor, and she is supposed to call me back tomorrow or Wednesday. It's just that I just found out so I am still in the "freaking" stage. *hugs*

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Sure, I know. One good thing to keep in mind too is that pregnant ladies are generally very delicate when it comes to ingesting iffy stuff. High lead levels would probably have made you vomit.

With my first, I craved tuna and ate a ton (probably literally) in the first four months. Then I found out I was supposed to avoid canned tuna for mercury, especially first trimester. Very similar to what you'd be worried about. My daughter is not only fine, but very bright, top of the class stuff. (And a spaz and a priss, but I can't blame that on the mercury.)

These are guidelines and precautions. Good to follow, but in all liklihood, you and your baby are fine.

I know it's driving you nuts. Hang in there, lady.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your doc can order a lead test for you.

I had one order one for me after I was using a heat gun to strip my kitchen cabinet doors. Yeah, I know--not smart. I thought that being outside and not using a stripper would make a difference; I found out by happenstance that using the heat gun can make lead absorption worse. I was in a tizzy, thinking that I might have done some damage.

Fortunately, all was well--my lead levels were quite low. I hope the same for you.

Being pregnant is scary enough, without this!

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Positive thoughts and healing vibes for you and your baby!
Think positive thoughts...I'm sure everything will be fine!
Hang in there and keep us posted, okay!

If you need anyhthing, anything at all, IM me!!!

Reaction score
My mom apparently ate a lot of lead when she was pregnant with me and I turned out alright, so don't worry, Wildscribe, the baby should be just fine.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure your baby is 100% okay, Wildscribe. You need to think positive. Most likely the lead levels in that candy are so low that it will have no impact whatsoever.

:Hug2: Sending you positive vibes.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping everything turns out just fine.

The others are probably right; it might be too much lead to put into a candy (I believe zero is the right amount), but maybe not really all that much.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Prayers and hugs coming your way:)

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I'm saying some prayers, too :Hug2: Please let us know what the doc says, soon as you can.

Chances are, you'd have to ingest lots of lead to affect the baby. In other words, way more than you did. That being said, you're going to worry until you've got the test results in your hands. I'm guessing that's natural.

In the interim, keep in mind all of us have been saying prayers, or are keeping you and the baby in our thoughts.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Just got the call back from my doctor, who gave me a poison control number to call if I was still worried. She offered to have a lead test done, but she doesn't seem worried at all. She DID tell me not to eat anything else from Mexico (thanks, I figured that).

Thank you all for your prayers. The assumption at this point is that I didn't eat enough to cause any harm. You guys are all wonderful, and I appreciate the kind thoughts, both here and in PM. :LilLove:

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I'm sure everything will be fine. Those studies usually have the lab rats consuming the equal of pounds of candies at a time.

I am sure that you weren't consuming the equal of 25% of your bodyweight in candy every day. Plus, you are very healthy and your liver, etc. work as very efficient filters. Everything will be OK.

BIG HUG and many prayers coming your way. Take a deep breath, have a good cry if you need to, and remember that you and the baby are perfectly healthy.

Judy

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I think scientists are wrong. The only way lead is harmful to you is when it's forcefully injected with the assistance of a firearm.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
I'm sure everything will be fine. Those studies usually have the lab rats consuming the equal of pounds of candies at a time.

I am sure that you weren't consuming the equal of 25% of your body-weight in candy every day.

I did...um I was a fatty, fatty, boombalatty, Jabba the Hut, Boombalatty.
Starbursts were my friends...I was an anomaly. I also ate my weight in cantaloupe, broccoli, and cheese. Oh and choco milk. and pudding. and, and...STEAK!

Now, I can't stand any form of candy!

I'm so happy to hear the good news! I knew that you would be just fine!!! Your baby is gonna be a healthy and joyful little human, you'll see ;)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I actually don't like most candy. The candy in question was flavored salt, though, and I love salt. Mmmmmmm. I've actually been eating rather healthy. I don't eat a lot of junk foods anyway.

Thank you all again. You're like one big, crazy family.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My first daughter is made of canteloupe - which is weird in more than one way. I don't like canteloupe. My second daughter is made of blueberries. I must have eaten gallons of them.

Last night I dreamt I had a son. I suppose he's made of misfiring neurons.