Words that strike you as naturally funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I read a blog article about writing humor by Scott Adams (of "Dilbert" fame), and among other things, he suggested using "funny" words whenever possible. As an example, he cited "yank" instead of "pull."

I was wondering what other common English words might naturally seem funny (to many people) ... might make an interesting list.

Got any candidates for such a list?

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The "K" sound tends to tickle ribs. I don't know why.

"Yank' has a more explosive meaning than "pull." Could be that.

MajorDrums

Kidnapper
Registered
Reaction score
"Spank" sounds funny to me. "Dude got spanked!":D

Yeah, usually you'd find words that have the "k" sound to illicit a funny response. It's been researched, I've heard, but I don't know where.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I think "penal" is funny: it sounds like something dirty, but it isn't. Penal colony, penal code... ew.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Some multisyllabic words seem to appear everywhere - like ubiquitous.

Dunno why, but it seems that yank and spank are related. Never mind me, I'm just monkeying around...

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
"Indefatigable" for long
"Smudge" for short

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Why am I not surprised?

Wikipedia has covered this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inherently_funny_word

And who can argue with Dave Barry? Quoted in the wikipedia entry:

Dave Barry's 1991 book Dave Barry Talks Back reprints a column on linguistic humor. He contrasts the phrases "Richard Nixon wearing a necktie" with "Richard Nixon wearing a neck weasel", and "Scientists have discovered a 23rd moon orbiting Jupiter" with "Scientists have discovered a giant weasel orbiting Jupiter." He concludes that weasel is a very funny word - "You can improve the humor value of almost any situation by injecting a weasel into it."

Last edited:

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
There are a few words that tickle me :)

Some: duck, snark, cow, fish, fizzle, bootleg, llama (a big favorite that way :D), turtle (a lot of animals eh?), pickle, booze, torch, spoon, spunk and badinnage.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Badinage? I couldn't raise a seriously nuanced giggle over "badinage. "

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm amused by snorkle and bobble. Also the name Humphrey. And a town we often pass on the Thruway, Herkimer, which rivals Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

Maryn, word freak

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
There's a town in Ireland named Sneem. When I went there many moons ago, I had to see it. It still cracks me up.

It was also the winner of Ireland's "Tidy Town" contest (swear to God, it's true, they have signs posted all over the country.) back in the late 80s, early 90s.

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
There’s a town here in Newfoundland called Dildo – tourists love getting their picture taken right in front of the sign for the town’s limits. My personal favourite for funny words is “formication.” It refers to the hallucination of insects crawling over the skin. Apparently, it’s a rather unfunny symptom of withdrawal.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
'Cow'. I don't know why, but I think cows are some kind of alien creature that was dropped on our planet just for us to laugh at. They're funny looking, funny sounding... just funny.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Strident. Pickle. Bruschetta.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
There’s a town here in Newfoundland called Dildo – tourists love getting their picture taken right in front of the sign for the town’s limits. My personal favourite for funny words is “formication.” It refers to the hallucination of insects crawling over the skin. Apparently, it’s a rather unfunny symptom of withdrawal.

Masticate!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Hee hee, I told a guy in the cafeteria in high school to stop masticating in public. Everybody laughed and he blushed. When I told him it meant chewing, he almost clocked me.

cfc

Words that strike you as naturally funny

Underpants, boomerang, skidaddle, vamoose, the name
Bob", munchkin, fogey, geezer, mush mouth - I'm sure there's more, but it's late ... whaddya want for nuthin'?

Tigger

Registered
Reaction score
'Cow'. I don't know why, but I think cows are some kind of alien creature that was dropped on our planet just for us to laugh at. They're funny looking, funny sounding... just funny.

Oh no cows are great, we used to have them in a padock behind my office building (ok that is what comes from building your nations capital in a sheep padock) and i used to talk to them all the time. I think cows have that permanat look of listning on their faces. The look thoughtful, great sounding bords, or just someone to windge to when you were having a bad day.

Funny words for me are words like
Ablution, can you Ablute (that is a funny word)
and mispellings, i spent a while 'disrobing' instead of discribing the organisation. So now whenever i give a presentation i can't but stop to laugh.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
I think "penal" is funny: it sounds like something dirty, but it isn't. Penal colony, penal code... ew.

It's like 'addictive personality', which sounds like a good thing to have, but isn't. Or sufferage.

Status
Not open for further replies.