Wow. I'm pretty much screwed.

Luke flees the scene

philosopher.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm pretty much screwed.

So I left my poetry notebook in 3rd hour on friday, and the school office most likely has it right now. There was a lot of profanity in that notebook and I use alot of metaphors in my writing that relate to suicide and stuff, so do you think I'm gonna get in trouble for having the notebook?

I hope not, cause the last thing I need right now is to get in trouble, especially with how touchy my dad has been with me lately. God, I need a vacation.

Last edited:

Dani Dunn

Huh? What?
Registered
Reaction score
That's too bad. I can only assume you're still in high school. I hope you're okay personally.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
((hugs)) I hope it turns out okay. Perhaps if you explain to them that there's a difference in your art and yourself, they'll understand that it doesn't mean you're going to attempt anything tragic.

Let us know what happens.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Hey in a perfect world they should read it and appreciate it-wow what a talented kid-unfortunately the world aint poifect so you will probably get hassled but it is to be hassled that makes the poet so just keep it up and go with the flow-show love when you have fear and patience when confronted with blocks of granite-it'll pass-it always does-then write a poem about it-Dave

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
UGH - sorry to hear it's torn, but RELIEVED it's still intact and not getting you in trouble. Hope that made your day better.

calamity

Registered
Reaction score
That sucks. I would hate to have anyone read my notebooks too -- I sound like damn whackjob. Don't sweat it though. Hopefully it's not the first notebook they've found, and I'd imagine a lot of young people have similar issues.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very glad that you've got your notebook back and that you didn't get into trouble.

Now I'm gonna mention something, solely my own viewpoint though I will probably be blasted by everyone else in this forum.

I don't see how profanity improves or contributes to poetry, it is distressing to me to see a young man like yourself resort to using it. You have a lot of talent and you don't need to use profanity to get your message across.

Now I'm gonna go crawl under the house before the barrage at me starts.

Before I go get dirty, let me say that I hope you continue writing.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
I don't see how profanity improves or contributes to poetry, it is distressing to me to see a young man like yourself resort to using it. You have a lot of talent and you don't need to use profanity to get your message across.

I have to agree with Festus. I can be more profane writing about world events than resorting to outright profanity.

Glad you got your notebook back, T&T.

Mike

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Men and women greater than them refrained from using it.

(Slips out and crawls under house again)

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, Truman. Though it's like I've said before, I am not an experienced poetry writer, I think I've perhaps written two in the last decade. Lets make this even more interesting. You write it using profanity, I'll rewrite it without the profanity and see if I can convey the same message.

What do you think?

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
you might even say that it's now tattered and torn?

but anyway, be proud of your words bro. if they don't like em, f*ck em. but if they feel they have to give out to you for what you wrote about yourself, well, don't back down. stand by what you've written.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Funny thing, the same happened, more or less, to me when I was 16. Only my notebook was read. I got ragged on for it for months. But eventually I realized that theyw ere just jealous, or complete cretans. So no harm done.
Stand proud buddy, let people think what they will.

Kie

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
So I left my poetry notebook in 3rd hour on friday, and the school office most likely has it right now. There was a lot of profanity in that notebook and I use alot of metaphors in my writing that relate to suicide and stuff, so do you think I'm gonna get in trouble for having the notebook?

I hope not, cause the last thing I need right now is to get in trouble, especially with how touchy my dad has been with me lately. God, I need a vacation.

My guess would be (based on having seen similar events) that you won't get in any trouble over it. Worse case scenario, the school will ask your dad if you need counseling, and they'll offer it to you.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Profanity is also offensive. Lord help me, I use it when I'm ticked off, though I do pretty well about it most other times. Do you want your works read by a select few, or enjoyed by everyone. A lot of young men use profanity to try and feel older or adult. It doesn't come across that way, but rather childlike.

The point I have attempted to make is this: profanity is not necessary to good writing. I think some of the works I've seen would be outstanding if not for that. It's a real challenge to send the same message without using profanitry, and some will never rise to it.

It may mean the difference in being a good writer or a great writer.

If any of you gentlemen feel like cussing me in person, I'll be happy to make an appointment for you to do it face to face. Make sure your insurance is paid up first.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If any of you gentlemen feel like cussing me in person, I'll be happy to make an appointment for you to do it face to face. Make sure your insurance is paid up first.

Not my fight and not really any of my business but...Oooooooh, handbags at dawn.

Kie

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Wait...what happened to the poetry slam idea? I've been looking forward to that all day!