PDA

View Full Version : Worst Movies You've Ever Seen??

Pages : 1 [2]

ChaosTitan
04-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Oh my god! I can't believe I forgot the worst pile of trash ever!

Dungeons and Dragons: The Movie

The fact that Jeremy Irons was in this film made me tear up. This movie is actually worse than Battlefield Earth.

This movie is actually on my list of Guilty Pleasures. How can you not laugh out loud, watching the estimable Jeremy Irons chewing up the scenery like that? :ROFL:

Of course, it doesn't hurt that I've hot a crush on Ridley. It's worth it just for that black leather outfit he wears at the end.

Nope, Battlefield Earth is still worse, in my book. ;)

James D. Macdonald
04-06-2007, 07:26 PM
First Knight - This movie destroyed Mallory in the first 20 minutes. I seriously couldn't watch Sean Connery again without disappointment until The Rock. Beyond the HORRID story the props were made from beer can tabs.

That's because it wasn't based on Mallory. It was based on "The Knight of the Cart" by Chretien de Troyes, with an inexplicable section from the Mort Artur stuck on the end.

Once you realize it isn't a Mallory Arthurian at all, it isn't bad. The only question then becomes "What woman in her right mind would turn down Sean Connery in favor of Richard Gere?"

Lycius
04-06-2007, 07:34 PM
That's because it wasn't based on Mallory. It was based on "The Knight of the Cart" by Chretien de Troyes, with an inexplicable section from the Mort Artur stuck on the end.

Once you realize it isn't a Mallory Arthurian at all, it isn't bad. The only question then becomes "What woman in her right mind would turn down Sean Connery in favor of Richard Gere?"

Hmmm.. I'll have to read that then, but I still want to vomit at the movie ;)

To answer your question though, I mean look at who was playing her.....

FredCharles
04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Spectaculary awful in every sense of the word. Tom Waits cameo can not even save this over-stylized, over-acted garbage.

House of Wax - Not the original Vince Price movie, but the horrible remake. This movie has no redeeming value whatsoever. It's not even so bad, that it's good.

TrainofThought
04-08-2007, 06:58 AM
A few I can think of now:

The Hulk - pathetic storyline
Daredevil - Ben as a blind man? He canít act when he has sight, except for Chasing Amy, an acting gig before he became known.
Shout - John Travolta hit a low point in life with this one.
Road House - Patrick Swayze must have gone into rehab after making this film.

latoya
04-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Wolf Creek. What was supposed to be the suspense build up was 75% of the movie. The movie was not scary at all and had no point.

louisgodwin
04-08-2007, 07:21 AM
The worst movie I've ever seen is Eye of the Beholder, with Ewan Macgregor and Ashley Judd. Just awful. Some others......

Invincible, starring Billy Zane
The Crow 4: Wicked Prayer
Queen of the Damned
Broken Flowers, with Bill Murray

I don't really know if First Knight is bad or not. I always end up falling asleep sometime after Gere runs through that obstacle course.

Shadow_Ferret
04-08-2007, 07:40 AM
House of Wax - Not the original Vince Price movie, but the horrible remake. This movie has no redeeming value whatsoever. It's not even so bad, that it's good.
Yes, it does have a redeeming value. Paris Hilton gets killed.

Would anyone mind if I put The Prestige on this list? I just rented it hearing such wonderful reviews and I'm watching it, wanting to at least like Hugh Jackman's character, but no, I found that except for Michael Caine and David Bowie, there were no likable characters in this movie at all. I found myself at the end not giving a damn about what happened to anyone and just hoping the movie would end.

Ardellis
04-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Would anyone mind if I put The Prestige on this list? I just rented it hearing such wonderful reviews and I'm watching it, wanting to at least like Hugh Jackman's character, but no, I found that except for Michael Caine and David Bowie, there were no likable characters in this movie at all. I found myself at the end not giving a damn about what happened to anyone and just hoping the movie would end.

This is still coming up in my NetFlix queue, and I have high hopes for it. :Shrug: But then, I don't necessarily need likable characters to enjoy a film. I adored Syriana, despite the fact that there's nary a redeemable soul in the story (except perhaps the one prince played by Alexander Siddig).

ChaosTitan
04-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes, it does have a redeeming value. Paris Hilton gets killed.

She never looked better than kneeling there with a pole through her head.

:ROFL:

McDuff
04-08-2007, 09:13 PM
The answer to the question "what is the worst movie ever?" is, of course, Highlander.

Among its cardinal sins were, in a cast full of Scots, casting Sean Connery as a Spaniard; casting someone to play a Scotsman who, even in scenes opposite Sean Connery, couldn't do a Scottish accent; putting stupid little scenes in which added nothing to the film; a plot that didn't make any sense; atrocious dialogue on every level; and, most egregiously, having whatshisface MacCleod reference the All Queen All The Time soundtrack by saying "it's a kind of magic" not once, but twice.

The absolute worst part about Highlander, however, is the fact that if you didn't watch it when you were a twelve year old boy all your friends rave about it, so you sit down and watch what you think is going to be a great film and end up watching that dreck.

No excuses.

Shadow_Ferret
04-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I've never seen Highlander, but if it is that bad, how did it garner so many sequels and a TV show?

MattW
04-09-2007, 02:00 AM
You cut their heads off and LIGHTNING COMES OUT!!!!

CheshireCat
04-09-2007, 02:17 AM
I do that with the Alien franchise. For me, there were only two Alien films, the first, and Aliens. I simply don't buy the fact that Newt and Hicks (and poor old Bishop) croaked in film number three with no reason. So in my universe Alien 3 and 4 don't exist: Ripley made it back to Earth, she and Hicks got married, and they adopted Newt. Oh yeah, they're both instructors at Starfleet Academy (I said this is my universe!), and Bishop the android is their wisecracking next-door neighbor. And Vicki from Small Wonder is Newt's best pal.

So there.

You can visit my world if I can visit yours; they appear to have many similar elements. :)

As for movies, I disowned many sequels and follow-ups to true classics. There are only two Alien movies, only one Matrix, the original three Star Wars, the first two Superman movies (though the second one had a plot hole/contrivance you could drive a semi through), only one Jaws, only two Godfathers, only one Rocky.

I don't include any of the Star Trek movies because the first one was truly horrendous.

Kiester
04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I beg to differ about Highlander.

It's got a rather good storyline to it, I mean, what other film is there, whereby you are an immortal who fights through the ages until only one is left, then you recieve the 'Prize'? It's got a good storyline, but granted, the dialogue is a bit cruddy, and Connery was a bit out-of-place with his character.

Anyways, onto my 5 worst movies ever!

*Cue Top of the Pops theme music*

5. Anything with Tom Cruise in it.

My opinion - the most stupidest, worthless, most idiotic actor I have ever had the misfortune to witness. Seriously, he's terrible.

4. Anything with Jennifer Lopez in it

She can't act. She could never act.

3. The Three Ninjas - High Noon At Mega Mountain

....No. Just No.

2. Jason X

It just isn't the same. Not the right formula for a classic slasher film. It's just....blah.

1. Epic Movie, Scary Movie 1,2,3,4

Not funny, not funny at all.

-1 (Yes, theres a Minus 1) - Spice Girls - Spice World

I'll describe it in one word.

Sh*t. Pure F***ing Sh*t.

-k

pconsidine
04-09-2007, 10:18 PM
To me, the worst movies are the ones that I can't even remember having seen. Those movies are so lackluster in every way that they just slip right out of my mind as soon as the houselights come up. But even then, I just figure that I'm probably hopelessy out of step with the rest of the movie going public and it's probably a good movie that I didn't get.

That being said, here are a few that just haven't done anything for me:

The Player: Call me a Communist, but Altman has never clicked with me (Cookie's Fortune being a notable exception). Part of it is probably the strong distaste I have for his signature "get everyone in the cast in the same room and have them all talk over each other" scenes. Drives me batty. And even though it took me three tries to finish this one, I did enjoy the 8-minute single-take scene that opens the movie, complete with characters talking about other notably long single-take scenes.

Bottle Rocket: I know it's supposed to be some great break out for Wes Anderson, but I just didn't get it. It wasn't funny, nor was it moving. Ultimately, it really just wasn't anything at all. Of course, I also dislike Owen Wilson (Luke gets a barely passing grade, but at least it's something), so that might have made a difference.

The Host: This one I just chalk up to cultural differences in story telling. To me, there are too many set-ups that don't get paid off and the story doesn't end in a remotely satisfying way. While I didn't walk out actively pissed off, I wasn't at all happy about having sat through it.

That's about all I can really remember right now. Like I said, the bad ones don't linger at all.

Lycius
04-10-2007, 12:06 AM
-1 (Yes, theres a Minus 1) - Spice Girls - Spice World

I'll describe it in one word.

Sh*t. Pure F***ing Sh*t.

-k

GOOD CALL!

jnesvold
04-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Spice World brings to mind one of the all-time best so-bad-it's-good flicks based on a musical act:

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park. Such a delightful cheesefest, that.

Ardellis
04-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Spice World brings to mind one of the all-time best so-bad-it's-good flicks based on a musical act:

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park. Such a delightful cheesefest, that.

OMG. I had forgotten that one. And now you have brought the horror of it all crashing back!!! :eek:

dpaterso
04-10-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm almost t-too s-scared to reply to this thread, many of the films named as turkeys are among my favorites, or at least on my often-watched list, despite their perceived faults. I'm so shallow. Or else willing to look past the faults and see the entertainment. But let's not ruin the ambience -- angst on, everybody!

-Derek

Lycius
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm almost t-too s-scared to reply to this thread, many of the films named as turkeys are among my favorites, or at least on my often-watched list, despite their perceived faults. I'm so shallow. Or else willing to look past the faults and see the entertainment. But let's not ruin the ambience -- angst on, everybody!

-Derek

Like I said, some of the movies listed as "The Worst Ever." hardly qualify.

jnesvold
04-10-2007, 06:28 PM
OMG. I had forgotten that one. And now you have brought the horror of it all crashing back!!! :eek:

My apologies.

Like I said, some of the movies listed as "The Worst Ever." hardly qualify.
Of course, everyone's list is simply opinion, so one person's "Worst Ever" is another's "Not Really That Bad."

McDuff
04-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Re: Highlander's sequels. Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Re: the great idea underpinning the story. There is no idea so great that a bunch of hacks cannot make a terrible movie out of it.

Lycius
04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Re: Highlander's sequels. Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Re: Nobody was ever surprised by the elitism of the British public.

III
04-10-2007, 09:47 PM
"A History Of Violence" was the worst piece of garbage ever. How in the world could anyone sit through that cliche, one-dimensional pile of tedious crap and actually enjoy it? I'd sit through "Doogal" for a solid week before I watched "History" again.

III
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
The answer to the question "what is the worst movie ever?" is, of course, Highlander.

How could you not like a movie that had Mr. Krabs as the villan? Highlander, Shawshank Redemption, Bad Boys - all just warm-ups for the Spongebob role.

razormoney
04-12-2007, 01:23 AM

Among its cardinal sins were, in a cast full of Scots, casting Sean Connery as a Spaniard; casting someone to play a Scotsman who, even in scenes opposite Sean Connery, couldn't do a Scottish accent; putting stupid little scenes in which added nothing to the film; a plot that didn't make any sense; atrocious dialogue on every level; and, most egregiously, having whatshisface MacCleod reference the All Queen All The Time soundtrack by saying "it's a kind of magic" not once, but twice.

The absolute worst part about Highlander, however, is the fact that if you didn't watch it when you were a twelve year old boy all your friends rave about it, so you sit down and watch what you think is going to be a great film and end up watching that dreck.

No excuses.

But that's just my humble opinion. Part of me thinks you put this movie up here just to incite a riot.

Besides, if you think Highlander is bad, go rent The Sweetest Thing. If you can make it through that pile of shite, then you're literally a waste of space. If you have to rip it from your DVD player, like most mortals, good luck getting it back to Blockbuster in one piece. The overwhelming urge to crush that movie into dust will come over you at least 5 times on the way to the drop-off slot. On second thought, don't get this movie from Blockbuster. You'll end up owing them $40 for movie that's not worth the DVD it's burned onto.

Razor

TheGaffer
04-12-2007, 06:12 AM
Highlander remains a solid movie if you did see it first when you were 12.

But the Highlander sequels were indeed execrable. And while nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people, those 2 movies didn't exactly break box-office records, McDuff.

TheGaffer
04-12-2007, 06:16 AM
I do that with the Alien franchise. For me, there were only two Alien films, the first, and Aliens. I simply don't buy the fact that Newt and Hicks (and poor old Bishop) croaked in film number three with no reason. So in my universe Alien 3 and 4 don't exist: Ripley made it back to Earth, she and Hicks got married, and they adopted Newt. Oh yeah, they're both instructors at Starfleet Academy (I said this is my universe!), and Bishop the android is their wisecracking next-door neighbor. And Vicki from Small Wonder is Newt's best pal.

So there.

Gravity -- have you gotten the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set? It really redeems the 3rd movie with a lengthier version and upping the ante on some of the religious elements that were part of it. It's still unredeemably bleak in tone, but there's a brilliance there with these men who have tried to live on faith in the absence of all else and find even that can't help them, just as one couldn't depend on other institutions depicted in the previous films (company and the military). Something like that.

TheGaffer
04-12-2007, 06:17 AM
I don't understand people who put Matrix (the sequels, OK) in the Worst movie category. I understand not liking it, but worst? It has great special effects and I think it's a fun action romp. If you have a decent sound system, that scene where Keanu and the girl in the tight black outfit start shooting up the building is a blast! You can really get the room rumbling with that. Scared the crap out of my wife one night when she was in a sound sleep. hehe

*runs off to put that scene in*

I happen to think the 2nd Matrix is far superior to the first. The third is a piece of dog feces, though.

TheGaffer
04-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Anything Woody Allen has made since "Annie Hall" If there is a more overrated, undertalented actor/writer/director than Allen I don't know who it is. Maybe Warren Beatty. But at least Beatty hasn't made the same movie over and over and over again.

:wag:

Sorry - but Hannah and Her Sisters and Crimes and Misdemeanors are two of the best movies of all time. And Deconstructing Harry, Broadway Danny Rose and Bullets over Broadway aren't too darned bad either.

magic07
04-12-2007, 08:43 AM
I had enough patience to finish Dawn of the Dead.

Backward Masking
04-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Ultraviolet.

I figure the director of Equilibrium and a bigger budget should equal an alright movie. Now what truth came from those two particular assumptions was that the aforementioned assumptions were actually filthy lies. I left the theater about 7 minutes into movie.

pconsidine
04-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Speaking of things that look good on paper -

Dreamcatcher. The screenwriter of All the President's Men and director of Body Heat, both working from a story by Stephen King, managed to produced the worst piece of celluloid misery it's ever been my misfortune to watch.

Jersey Chick
04-13-2007, 02:34 AM
I'd have to agree with the first Scary Movie. A few nights after I watched 1/2 of it, I was talking to my brother and he said, "I saw the worst movie ever last night."

I jokingly said, "Oh, you watched Scary Movie,too?"

There was this dead silence and then a very amazed, "How did you know?"

Yup. That bad.

I would also add "The Life Aquatic" - I heard how great and brillian Bill Murray was, so I bugged my husband into renting it. I fell asleep watching it.

I miss when Bill Murray was funny...

nighttimer
04-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Just came back from seeing the Halle Berry/Bruce Willis flick, Perfect Stranger. It was worth exactly what we paid to see it---nothing.

The flick is currently getting a horrendous 13% on Rottentomatoes.com. I'd like to find those few critics who gave it a good review and beat them to death with a shoe.

Let's face it; Halle Berry is gorgeous. Any movie she's in will automatically look better, but after Die Another Day, Catwoman, Gothika and now this it's obvious her Oscar win was a fluke. That, or she just can't tell when a script stinks.

All I want to say is if you go be prepared to see one of the absolute LAMEST "surprise endings" in the history of cinema.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Gehanna
04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Saturday Night Fever and Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo

dancingandflying
04-15-2007, 02:56 AM
an independent film called, frontier.

jodiodi
04-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Wrong Turn
Alone in the Dark - Great game; movie was unintentionally hilarious. Tara Reid as an Archeology PhD? 'We picked up this artifact in New Found Land.'

Toxic_Waste
04-29-2007, 02:31 AM

I don't know what kind of a mind I have, because I don't think either one of those guys is attractive!!! I will pass them off to the other gals.

Toxic_Waste
04-29-2007, 03:02 AM
A previous quote: The Devil's Rejects : What was I thinking? Sooooooooo very bad.

I just saw that movie last night on DVD and it is my favorite one! Maybe I am just looking at it from a non-typical POV as both my sons are in the movie-making industry and I tend not to watch films and get personally or emotionally drawn in (at least not TOO much).

I know that sqeamish people all hate The Devil's Rejects and House of 1000 Corpses, but when you can get beyond the gore and twisted demented characters, the writing, directing, acting, props, location, makeup, wardrobe, camera angles, lighting, soundtrack and such were just top-notch.

It needs to be remembered that the weirdo characters are supposed to be disgusting and offensive. The way the Firefly family did those things and then just acted like it didn't affect them was the epitome of bizarre. (Fighting in the car over whether or not to stop for ice cream after having just slaughtered a couple of people, as an example.)

Being a horror writer and thinking up stuff like that may have a lot to do with how come I enjoyed the movie, but Rob Zombie is a really good writer/director.

WordLover
09-18-2009, 10:30 PM
a bucket of feces:
Howard the Duck
Ishtar
Blair Witch Project- appeals to those who think trees are scary
Vanilla Sky
Eyes Wide Shut
Ghost Dad
anything with the "kings of comedy"
Jeepers Creepers- oooh, scary
Twins- Devito is funny, Shwarzennger not so much
I Know What You did Last Summer - yes, and I don't care
feardotcom- stopmakingmoviesdotcom
GI Jane
Pulp Fiction
Terminator 3
Star Trek 3-10?
The Majestic

dgiharris
09-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by McDuff http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1252600#post1252600)

I can see you and me are going to have a problem. Highlander is all kinds of awesome. And just because I saw it when i was 12 doesn't mean that it still isn't all kinds of awesome!

Ultraviolet.
I love all things Sci-Fi and I didn't make it through half of this dogshit film.

I would also add "The Life Aquatic" - I heard how great and brillian Bill Murray was, so I bugged my husband into renting it. I fell asleep watching it.

I miss when Bill Murray was funny...

You know, this movie had SOOO much potential to be funny and it just fell sorta flat. I think the problem was the independant feel it was going for. I dunno, the recipe just wasn't quite right. The movie should have been awesome and it was anything but.

a bucket of feces:
Howard the Duck How could you not love this movie
Blair Witch Project- Guess not everyone can appreciate the genius of this movie.
Vanilla Sky This movie was decent
Eyes Wide Shut Can't say it deserves to be in worst movie ever category
anything with the "kings of comedy" Guess they aren't your cup of tea
Jeepers Creepers- First one was decent
Twins- It was o.k.
I Know What You did Last Summer - It was o.k.
GI Jane Now I know you have no taste in good film
Pulp Fiction Now I know you have no taste in good film
Terminator 3 finally, one I can somewhat agree with. I don't think it was bad as much as it was completely unnecessary. they should call it Terminator 2.5

To each their own I guess. We all have our tastes. I mean, I thought The Sweetest Thing was hilarious. A female version of Super Troopers type humor that put Christina Applegate back on the map

As for more worst films.

Lawmower Man II is horrendous. first one I quite enjoyed.
The Contract. How could two of my favorite actors Morgan Freeman and John Cusak be in such a bad film?

Mel...

WordLover
09-19-2009, 12:17 AM
right, I love films that actually have a story line and somewhat decent acting.
That makes me weird in this age of everyone praising mediocre offerings.

KTC
09-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Wow. old thread.

The worst movie I ever saw is also one of my favourite. LIQUID SKY. I think I watched it about 749 times throughout the 80s. We had Liquid Sky parties. It's a classic classic movie...phenomenally bad and phenomenally good.

CLICK TO WATCH THE TRAILER ON YOUTUBE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-n9gpFVpk)

som1luvsmi
09-19-2009, 01:17 AM
My hubby told me about the worst movie he ever saw.

It was called The Kirlian Witness.

It's about a plant that witnesses a murder.

Yeah.

charlotte49ers
09-19-2009, 01:26 AM
I was a majorette in high school and when we saw the movie, "Majorettes," in the horror section, we just KNEW it would be perfect for our Friday night sleepover. Um. Negative. When it started out with the cliche naked in the shower scene, we knew were in for movie magic. lol

I also hated Sleepy Hollow. With a passion. Though, I love me some Johnny Deep.

I hated American Beauty, too. It was too creepy for my liking.

Oh, and I also hated Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. That movie had sooo much potential, but when the rat werewolf popped up, I about had a stroke. So disappointing!

cptwentworth
09-19-2009, 01:34 AM
I absolutely hated Leaving Las Vegas, made me puke in my mouth a little. And I've mostly disliked Nicholas Cage since then.

shawkins
09-19-2009, 01:37 AM
I found August Rush to be almost physically painful. I would rather gnaw off my own butt than watch it (or anything even remotely like it) again.

It claimed the title from Thin Red Line. I expect it to remain in the number 1 spot until I die.

coloneldax
09-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Definitely: "Snakes on a Plane"

And that three hour movie about the civil war (that was out within the last three years). Does anyone remember that one?..

I walked out of both of these..

Daniel

blacbird
09-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Men at Work, Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen. I got caught seeing this on a plane flight. It was like they were really trying their damnedest to be not entertaining. And that was the opinion expressed by numerous fellow-passengers as we were exiting from the plane, too. Virtual unanimity.

caw

MsGneiss
09-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It was awful. I actually couldn't finish watching it, and I sit even through the most awful films. Such a shame, it could've been great, but it sucked big time.

maxmordon
09-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Buny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyAxnFWoy3Q)

jodiodi
09-19-2009, 08:41 AM
We loved Snakes on a Plane. Laughed 'til we cried.

Lately, among the movies I've loathed:

Watchmen - WTF? Completely incoherent. I hated everyone in that movie and hoped they'd all die painful and horrible deaths.

If there have been others, I've blocked them out or Watchmen overshadowed them. It's sheer suckiness was a black hole of awful that sucked in every other movie's crap.

Exir
09-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Manos: The Hands of Fate

Exir
09-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Agreed. It was fine until about the last half hour or so. Kubrick would've stopped it loooooooong before the end, but noooooooo...Spielberg just had to drag it on into oblivion. Oh well, I was on a date, and it gave us a few extra minutes to play "streeeeeeetch and accidentally put my arm around you" games in the dark.

And I have to defend Spielberg.

All the ending stuff that people are complaining about in AI: Artificial Intelligence is actually in Stanley Kubrick's original script. The extra-long ending? The blue fairy thing? The "after the end" epilogue?

Yup. All Kubrick.

Wavy_Blue
09-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Worst movie I've ever seen:

Monster-A-Go-Go.

If you haven't seen it, then do. And then whatever movie you consider the worst movie you've seen right now will drop to second place. It's just that bad.

maxmordon
09-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Worst movie I've ever seen:

Monster-A-Go-Go.

If you haven't seen it, then do. And then whatever movie you consider the worst movie you've seen right now will drop to second place. It's just that bad.

It's even painful to watch it on MST3K!

jodiodi
09-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Manos: The Hands of Fate

First saw it on MST:3K. Have that version. It was a horrible, horrible movie. Hilariously horrible.

Starhorsepax
09-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Lightning the white Stallion. Caught it on tv and it's on video. Worst Horse movie ever. Clearly whoever wrote it didn't know the first thing about horses. Who else but horse lovers were going to see it? Seriously. The horses color & equipment changed and instead of using a real horse organization they made one up. Actually even a complete non horse person with an iota of observational skill would've noticed the mistakes. Oh dear. Mickey Rooney must've been absolutely desperate to be in that!

writeronfire
09-20-2009, 02:56 AM
I agree about The Break-up.

That movie was supposed to be a comedy? It wasn't funny. They yelled at each other as if they were really mad at each other, not like on Friends when you can tell the characters are not really mad.

maxmordon
09-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Has anyone seen Manos: The Hands of Fate: The Stage version? It's full on Youtube.

rhymegirl
09-20-2009, 03:37 AM
I absolutely hated Leaving Las Vegas, made me puke in my mouth a little. And I've mostly disliked Nicholas Cage since then.

Agree with hating Leaving Las Vegas. Unlikable characters, especially Cage's character.

Kitty27
09-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Tyler Perry's Madea movies.

Good plucking crap. Everybody in the audience was cracking up but me.

My brother went crazy for "The Warriors",a hip hop classic. The godawful acting and dialogue made for hard viewing. But I was watching with him and his friends. I feared for my life if I said one bad word about the movie.

SirOtter
09-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Here's my problem with this and many similar questions: A whole lot of folks are applying subjective criteria to an objective question. Hating a movie or not understanding it doesn't make it 'The Worst' ever. It makes it 'The Worst I personally have seen', maybe, but that's a subjective opinion. 'Worst Ever' requires objective fact. Just because someone didn't understand Watchmen does not make it the Worst Ever. It means that particular person did not have the frame of reference to understand what, to someone who does, may well be considered a marvelous film. And by any informed, objective standard, while it's no Citizen Kane, it's a pretty good movie for those who are familiar with the source material. Not being familiar with source material is not a legitimate factor in judging 'worst-ness' objectively. That falls into the insufficient data department.

To qualify as 'Worst Film Ever', there needs to be a set of objective criteria that anyone conversant with film and its requirements for quality can agree on. And any candidate must meet more than one of those criteria. Simply having plot holes one could drive a truck through is not enough. Many otherwise fine films suffer from that deficit. It must needs also be cheaply made, badly acted, poorly lit and incompetently directed, with cheesy special effects, garage sale costuming and make-up applied with a trowel, among other faults. Ishtar may be a horrendously bad film, but let's get real here. It's miles better than a huge number of lesser efforts. The only serious contenders I've noticed browsing in the last couple of pages of this thread were Manos and the Santa Claus Ice Cream Bunny abomination. I see a lot of posts that list movies people hate for subjective reasons, but none of which can objectively approach the utter badness of, say, The Creeping Unknown, Robot Monster, Eegah! or The Beach Girls and the Monster. Anything even remotely connected with Ray Steckler, Ed Wood, Herschell G. Lewis or One-Shot Beaudine is a priori inferior, by a few parsecs, than the worst film the likes of Steven Spielberg could conceive of, much less execute. Not even 1941 is as bad as the collective or individual efforts of these gentlemen.

All this bad-mouthing of personal disfavorites is not unlike arguing that Lance Johnson should be counted among the best outfielders in the history of the American League, in reverse. Johnson was a fine outfielder and a pretty good hitter, but Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Williams and a hundred others sort of don't leave room for him to be considered among the league elite. To reach the pinnacle of fielders, you must look higher than above-average. To attain the nadir of films, one must delve deeper than Snakes on a Plane. Although that was pretty bad.

Not liking a movie everyone else likes should go in a 'Popular Movies I Detest' thread, not one that poses an objective question about which waste of celluloid is the worst. My personal candidate has to be The Creeping Unknown, the badly narrated (narrated instead of using dialogue because the director misplaced the soundtrack before releasing the thing) story of a carpet from space crawling about eating guitar strumming teen-agers through a mouth that looks suspiciously like a vagina, in order to perform some sort of chemical test on humans. Why is never explained, as if anyone cared. As Pauline Kael once said, 'I've seen better film on teeth'. She said it about a much better film, though.

Wavy_Blue
09-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Here's my problem with this and many similar questions: A whole lot of folks are applying subjective criteria to an objective question. Hating a movie or not understanding it doesn't make it 'The Worst' ever. It makes it 'The Worst I personally have seen', maybe, but that's a subjective opinion. 'Worst Ever' requires objective fact. Just because someone didn't understand Watchmen does not make it the Worst Ever. It means that particular person did not have the frame of reference to understand what, to someone who does, may well be considered a marvelous film. And by any informed, objective standard, while it's no Citizen Kane, it's a pretty good movie for those who are familiar with the source material. Not being familiar with source material is not a legitimate factor in judging 'worst-ness' objectively. That falls into the insufficient data department.

To qualify as 'Worst Film Ever', there needs to be a set of objective criteria that anyone conversant with film and its requirements for quality can agree on. And any candidate must meet more than one of those criteria. Simply having plot holes one could drive a truck through is not enough. Many otherwise fine films suffer from that deficit. It must needs also be cheaply made, badly acted, poorly lit and incompetently directed, with cheesy special effects, garage sale costuming and make-up applied with a trowel, among other faults. Ishtar may be a horrendously bad film, but let's get real here. It's miles better than a huge number of lesser efforts. The only serious contenders I've noticed browsing in the last couple of pages of this thread were Manos and the Santa Claus Ice Cream Bunny abomination. I see a lot of posts that list movies people hate for subjective reasons, but none of which can objectively approach the utter badness of, say, The Creeping Unknown, Robot Monster, Eegah! or The Beach Girls and the Monster. Anything even remotely connected with Ray Steckler, Ed Wood, Herschell G. Lewis or One-Shot Beaudine is a priori inferior, by a few parsecs, than the worst film the likes of Steven Spielberg could conceive of, much less execute. Not even 1941 is as bad as the collective or individual efforts of these gentlemen.

All this bad-mouthing of personal disfavorites is not unlike arguing that Lance Johnson should be counted among the best outfielders in the history of the American League, in reverse. Johnson was a fine outfielder and a pretty good hitter, but Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Williams and a hundred others sort of don't leave room for him to be considered among the league elite. To reach the pinnacle of fielders, you must look higher than above-average. To attain the nadir of films, one must delve deeper than Snakes on a Plane. Although that was pretty bad.

Not liking a movie everyone else likes should go in a 'Popular Movies I Detest' thread, not one that poses an objective question about which waste of celluloid is the worst. My personal candidate has to be The Creeping Unknown, the badly narrated (narrated instead of using dialogue because the director misplaced the soundtrack before releasing the thing) story of a carpet from space crawling about eating guitar strumming teen-agers through a mouth that looks suspiciously like a vagina, in order to perform some sort of chemical test on humans. Why is never explained, as if anyone cared. As Pauline Kael once said, 'I've seen better film on teeth'. She said it about a much better film, though.

Mmm....no. Monster-A-Go-Go really is the worst movie ever made. It's not an opinion. It is a cold hard fact. There are just too many things to list that was wrong with it. The only thing that really even qualifies it as a movie is that it is a feature-length roll of film. That's 'bout it.

Wavy_Blue
09-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Has anyone seen Manos: The Hands of Fate: The Stage version? It's full on Youtube.

I've seen a couple scenes. Someday I'm going to put that show on, I swear...XD

SirOtter
09-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Mmm....no. Monster-A-Go-Go really is the worst movie ever made. It's not an opinion. It is a cold hard fact. There are just too many things to list that was wrong with it. The only thing that really even qualifies it as a movie is that it is a feature-length roll of film. That's 'bout it.

Haven't seen it, but given your objection assessment, I cannot argue otherwise. Remind me to avoid it in future.

Jess Haines
09-20-2009, 08:12 AM

I haven't seen Monster-A-Go-Go, but I stand firm by my choice.

Terror Toons is all that is evil and wrong with film. It is sheer, unadulterated crap. So craptacular, no movie could possibly be worse.

Manos: Hands of Fate is cinematic genius in comparison. Even the scene where they forgot to edit out the clapboard (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/97/Manos_clapper.gif) is but a trifle. You can't grasp how bad this thing is until you've seen the tiniest part of it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pel3bE7A-Dg).

Tell me that doesn't make you want to claw out your eyes?

jennontheisland
09-20-2009, 08:13 AM
1990: The Bronx Warrior.

jodiodi
09-20-2009, 08:17 AM
We have Manos: The Hands of Fate on DVD. The MST3K version. It is laughably bad. They made fun of the fact that Manos means hands. So it's Hands: The Hands of Fate.

WordLover
09-20-2009, 09:10 PM
anything with Madonna, Steven Seagal, and Chris Tucker.

TerzaRima
09-20-2009, 11:47 PM
I just remembered one: RV. Robin Williams must have some heavy alimony obligations, or he has a major drug habit or gambling jones, because he has appeared in some crap, but this was really the cherry on the dogshit sundae. An inane, joyless exercise about the family getting closer by traveling in an RV across the country. Because we're watching the Hell Plaza Film Festival and not, say, a decent movie, you might predict that said RV will take a slo-mo ride over a cliff near the end of the film--and that's exactly what happens! Pause to slap knee in mirth.

By that point I was bored enough to compose little duets and fight scenes between the kernels in the bottom of my popcorn bucket--I was with a family member who loved the movie and I couldn't run away screaming--so I think the general moral of the flick was something like Parentz Iz Love. But I couldn't swear to it.

In any case, I'd only recommend showing this one to party guests who have overstayed their welcome.

Kurtz
09-21-2009, 01:22 AM

You see, I differ. Now I've only seen Manos once, and yes, it is a terrible, terrible film. However, this complete suckiness allowed me to enjoy the film just as much, if not more than something by Kubrick or Kurosawa. I guess in this way I actually ended up thinking it was a good bad movie.

This is why Meet the Spartans is the worst movie creation of mankind. It is about as funny as ebola. In either an intentional or unintentional way. Not even the lighting is okay.

WordLover
09-21-2009, 01:24 AM
I just remembered one: RV. Robin Williams must have some heavy alimony obligations, or he has a major drug habit or gambling jones, because he has appeared in some crap, but this was really the cherry on the dogshit sundae.

that made me spew my iced tea. you owe me a new keyboard.

Zoombie
09-21-2009, 02:06 AM
No...

No...

Not Terror Toons!

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!

My eyes! My eyes!

I barely survived the last time, I/...nghas
sdmnsaid

lkcna cx,.

maxmordon
09-21-2009, 03:57 AM
No...

No...

Not Terror Toons!

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!

My eyes! My eyes!

I barely survived the last time, I/...nghas
sdmnsaid

lkcna cx,.

I wanna see it.

Zoombie
09-21-2009, 04:35 AM
No, Max!

Its the only horror movie wherein the strip poker has them putting on MORE clothes by the end of it!

jodiodi
09-21-2009, 06:25 AM
I thought Plan Nine from Outer Space was supposed to be the worst movie ever made.

Bela Lugosi died during filming so the director's wife's dentist or something like that played his part, walking around with a cape over his face. Given he was a foot or so taller than Lugosi, not a good substitute.

Move made absolutely no sense. Our favorite line:

"The inspector's dead, murdered; & someone's responsible!"

Firm grasp of the obvious.

Exir
09-21-2009, 06:43 AM
jodiodi: Ed Wood even put some stock footage of Bela Lugosi to compensate!

SirOtter
09-21-2009, 06:47 AM
I have to confess that I've never agreed that Plan 9 was the worst movie ever. There's a sort of childlike quality about it that takes the edge off of its participants' rank incompetence. I keep thinking of the old movie joke about kids putting on a talent show in the barn to save the town's clock tower or whatever whenever I see it. 'Hey, kids, we can get our moms to make costumes, and we can use paper plates for flying saucers, and that old hayloft will double as a swell airplane cockpit, if we hang a few curtains just right!'

At any rate, it's certainly better than any of Ed Wood's other films, and much better than The Creeping Unknown or Robot Monster, or the Captain Video serial that I recently made a valiant but ultimately doomed effort to sit through.

Wavy_Blue
09-21-2009, 09:09 AM
You see, I differ. Now I've only seen Manos once, and yes, it is a terrible, terrible film. However, this complete suckiness allowed me to enjoy the film just as much, if not more than something by Kubrick or Kurosawa. I guess in this way I actually ended up thinking it was a good bad movie.

This is why Meet the Spartans is the worst movie creation of mankind. It is about as funny as ebola. In either an intentional or unintentional way. Not even the lighting is okay.

Oh, trust me, I love Manos: The Hands of Fate. At least, I love the MST3K version, but I think if I watched it without the riffing I would love it just as much because of how laughable bad it is.

But Monsters-A-Go-Go was just...awful. It wasn't even laughably bad. I just wanted to cut out my eyeballs by the end, and I WAS watching the MST3K version.

Speaking of MST3K, who's seen Future War? Now that's laughably bad. Bad special effects combined with dinosaurs, cyborgs and lots of cardboard boxes? Makes for great entertainment.

Jess Haines
09-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Don't recall seeing that one. Which MST3K was it where they were making fun of this black-and-white film where some spaceship crashes to Earth, and the alien inside crawls out to eat the teenagers at the sock-hop? The alien is a giant shag carpet. With tennis shoes you can occasionally spot underneath.

Kurtz
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Speaking of MST3K, who's seen Future War? Now that's laughably bad. Bad special effects combined with dinosaurs, cyborgs and lots of cardboard boxes? Makes for great entertainment.

Is that the one that is not set in the future, and also doesn't have a war? The one that starts off with the cops with megaphones yelling 'LEAVE THE BRONX', because that one was hilarious.

Puma Man will forever be the best though.

maxmordon
09-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Is that the one that is not set in the future, and also doesn't have a war? The one that starts off with the cops with megaphones yelling 'LEAVE THE BRONX', because that one was hilarious.

Puma Man will forever be the best though.

He has the power to rear-project major cities, after all.

maxmordon
09-21-2009, 08:04 PM
At any rate, it's certainly better than any of Ed Wood's other films, and much better than The Creeping Unknown or Robot Monster, or the Captain Video serial that I recently made a valiant but ultimately doomed effort to sit through.

Lugosi's worst film to me was Bela Lugosi meets a Brooklyn Gorilla. Where he acts next to a pair of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis imitators (and indeed, Sam Petrilllo is Jerry Lewis on cocaine)

Satori1977
09-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Battliefield Earth...honestly, I don't even remember most of it, I think I zoned out 10 minutes into it.

Howard the Duck...loved it as a child. Tried watching it a couple of years ago, it was so awful, I don't have words to describe how awful it was.

Alexander....love period pieces, actors I really enjoy (Colin Farrell, Jared Leto, Jonathan Rys-Myers, Angelina Jolie, Val Kilmer, Anthony Hopkins), and it had such potential to be such a wonderful movie...one of the worst letdowns ever.

Wild, Wild West...now I would watch Will Smith in anything, but this movie sucked

Gigli...can't believe no one mentioned this. What is with those accents??

Son of the Mask...first was wasn't bad, but the second one, craptacular

Napoleon Dynomite...so many people loved it, kept telling me I had to watch it. I just didn't get it.

Anything with Jean Claude Van Damme or Steven Seagal...two of the cheesiest martial art action heroes ever.

Anything with Will Ferrell...Anchorman, Blades of Glory, Elf, Talladega Nights. Not funny. He takes going overboard to a whole new level. (Except for Stranger Than Fiction, I kinda liked that movie)

Dude, Where's My Car....totally pointless, and that is saying a lot about an Ashton Kutcher film.

There is Something About Mary...I know a lot of people love this movie, and I usually like Ben Stiller, but no. Except for a couple of scenes, I don't think it is funny. Same goes for Dumb and Dumber.

And some of the worst movies ever made are remakes. Hollywood needs to stop with the remakes!!!
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The In-Laws, The Out of Towners (the original was hilarious), Hairspray, Starsky and Hutch, Dukes of Hazzard, Planet of the Apes, Poseidon (love the Poseidon Adenture)...please stop.

Satori1977
09-21-2009, 09:07 PM

I LOVED this movie. So beautifully written and acted. Maybe I connected with it because I have dealt with alcoholism in my family. But I thought it was wonderfully done.

Kurtz
09-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Battliefield Earth...honestly, I don't even remember most of it, I think I zoned out 10 minutes into it.

I liked the bit where John Travolta shot the leg off a cow to demonstrate how evil he is. If he did that in Pelham 123 I'd have been a lot more interested.

Jess Haines
09-22-2009, 11:04 AM
I liked the bit where John Travolta shot the leg off a cow to demonstrate how evil he is. If he did that in Pelham 123 I'd have been a lot more interested.

Ugh, the movie Battlefield Earth was horrible.

Read the book. It's amazing. The film only had a passing resemblance -- same character names, locations of significant events, that sort of thing. It truly bastardized a wonderful, well-written sci-fi.

Regan Leigh
09-22-2009, 11:10 AM
First saw it on MST:3K. Have that version. It was a horrible, horrible movie. Hilariously horrible.

We have Manos: The Hands of Fate on DVD. The MST3K version. It is laughably bad. They made fun of the fact that Manos means hands. So it's Hands: The Hands of Fate.

Ah!! That movie is so bad it's great!

I haven't read more than the last page in this thread, so I apologize if it has been said...

Two If By Sea - Sandra Bullock
I hated it.

Diana Hignutt
09-22-2009, 07:52 PM
X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Yuck, that movie just plain sucked.

WordLover
09-22-2009, 08:46 PM

Gigli...can't believe no one mentioned this. What is with those accents??

Son of the Mask...first was wasn't bad, but the second one, craptacular

Napoleon Dynomite...so many people loved it, kept telling me I had to watch it. I just didn't get it.

Dude, Where's My Car....totally pointless, and that is saying a lot about an Ashton Kutcher film.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
it's the reason I rarely go out to see movies anymore. True drivel.

AceTachyon
09-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Bangkok Nights sucked balls.

So did Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. Dear producers: Half Moon Bay, CA, doesn't have a pier. Love, me.

Regan Leigh
09-23-2009, 04:10 AM
Has anyone mentioned "The Room" yet?

olla86
09-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I Know Who Killed Me (2007)is the worst film for me!

DeeCaudill
09-24-2009, 08:07 PM
I may have experienced new depths over the weekend when I watched the Bollywood remake of Picture Perfect (Tera Jadoo Chal Gayaa). You could tell the person writing the subtitles couldn't stand it either, giving up entirely during most the songs and at odd spots in the dialogue.

At least I've gotten my Bollywood fix for the next several years.

SPMiller
09-24-2009, 08:19 PM
The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008, the remake) is still the worst movie I've seen in recent memory. It wasn't just bad; it was aggressively bad. So bad, in fact, that I doubt an MST treatment could save it.

Perks
09-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Rachel Getting Married

Painfully, unforgivably tedious. And I sat through it because it was so lauded. I am a sheep.

Jcomp
09-24-2009, 08:36 PM
I might have mentioned it before but...

The worst movies I've ever paid to see in a theater are Batman and Robin and Volcano.

The actual worst movie I've ever seen is Sinbad: The Battle of the Dark Knights. It's beyond MST3K worthy. You wouldn't even have to make comments. It's in that Troll 2 territory of bad where nothing you can say could possibly be funnier than what's actually on the screen.

DeeCaudill
09-24-2009, 08:37 PM
I disagree on Rachel Getting Married, having watched it a second time lately.

But I totally understand why people could be annoyed by it. It's not a film that appeals to a broad audience.

AmandaAcidic
09-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Catwoman. The Halle Berry one.

Satori1977
09-25-2009, 03:46 AM

I totally agree. So many movies being made nowadays are just horrible. Movies are getting churned out like crazy, all they care about it making a profit, not entertaining people. Probably why there are so many remakes. Why spend the time thinking up your own ideas, when there are so many out there. And so many young people that maybe haven't heard of the original, have the IQ of a gnat, and are awed by cheap looking special effects. It is sad really.

Ok, off my soapbox. :Soapbox:

Moost
09-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Madea Goes to Jail. Anyone? Bueller?

AmandaAcidic
09-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Madea Goes to Jail. Anyone? Bueller?

I knew it was going to be horrible so I ever saw it. I don't think anything about Tyler Perry is funny.

RickN
09-25-2009, 06:32 AM

I only see a handful of movies at the theater because of the high cost per minute of drivel of most films.

When's the last time you saw a trailer and said "that looks stupid" and were wrong? I can't think of any in recent memory, so my moviegoing has dwindled.

I watch a lot of movies on Netflix, either the DVD's or streaming. A lot of them are bad -- but I know they're bad going in, so I can't complain. But a movie I'd have been ticked at paying for at the theater can be OK on DVD at home.

Wavy_Blue
09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
When's the last time you saw a trailer and said "that looks stupid" and were wrong? I can't think of any in recent memory, so my moviegoing has dwindled.

I remember seeing a trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean and thinking it looked really strange and awful (and I thought it was going to be a horror film). But it came to pass to be one of my favorite movies.

Can't think of much else off the top of my head, though.

DeeCaudill
09-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I was unimpressed with the trailer for The Hangover, but it certainly was better than my expectations.

WordLover
09-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Movies are getting churned out like crazy, all they care about it making a profit, not entertaining people.
you summed up Hollywood perfectly.

WordLover
09-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I only see a handful of movies at the theater because of the high cost per minute of drivel of most films.

admittedly, I can't wait to see Where the Wild Things Are.

does anyone else miss being a kid?

Sarpedon
09-25-2009, 08:35 PM
When's the last time you saw a trailer and said "that looks stupid" and were wrong?

Being John Malkovich I thought it was the stupidest idea for a movie ever. But damn, they made it work. Its not my favorite movie, but I enjoy its structure of slowly escalating absurdities.

triceretops
09-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Screamers brought nothing new to the horror plot. Re-used and re-hased. Their attempt at a twist end fell pretty flat with the cliche gimmick.

Tri

Jess Haines
09-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I thought Taken looked too ridiculous to give the time of day.

My roommate persuaded me to watch it. That movie was freaking fantastic.

antonioatom
06-11-2013, 08:30 AM
I don't know you guys will agree with me or not but in my opinion the worst movie ever is the series of American Pie

rcmckenzie
06-24-2013, 04:32 AM
Watch Five Across the Eyes... the most fitting title for a shaky-cam riddled movie about five high school girls who cry non-stop throughout the movie with being chased by a crazy lady with a shotgun!