practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
cc

Last edited:

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Write this up as a sitcom. Roseanne Barr is looking for a new show.

Luke flees the scene

philosopher.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I hate rumors. What's worse is, you can't really stop them from starting. I know how you feel, cause everyone at my church thinks I'm a crack-smoking, alchoholic satan-worshipper.

Plain and simple: People suck. I'm sorry they started those shit rumors about you. Everything comes full circle though, and they'll get theirs sooner or later. Just hang in there.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
I hate rumors. What's worse is, you can't really stop them from starting. I know how you feel, cause everyone at my church thinks I'm a crack-smoking, alchoholic satan-worshipper.

Plain and simple: People suck. I'm sorry they started those shit rumors about you. Everything comes full circle though, and they'll get theirs sooner or later. Just hang in there.

Don't you Christians have some kind of no judging lest ye be judged thing?

Throw that in their face.

And tell your pastor about this and ask him to give a semon around the issue.

Luke flees the scene

philosopher.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Don't you Christians have some kind of no judging lest ye be judged thing?

Throw that in their face.

And tell your pastor about this and ask him to give a semon around the issue.

Everyone in my church is a hypocryte. They all say they're against this kind of stuff, and then they go out and do it themselves. Wtf. I drink sometimes, but at least I admit it.

And

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
People gossip because they have no life of their own. Just feel flattered that you are all they have to talk about!

And avoid the neighbor who tells you what the people say about you. That person might be two-faced and really, shouldn't they stick up for you next time the old folks say something vile about you?

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
On another note...

Ten years in the same place?

Time to move.

These days, ten years is too long to stay anywhere.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I had an ex who when we were college told everyone in college that I was a whore. At our church he told everyone I was possessed by a demon. Him and his new girlfriend, (ex best friend), even prayed over me to get rid of the demon. I attended a Methodist church at the time.

What is that saying: I ran into my ex yesterday. Then put the car in reverse and ran into him again.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I've had trouble with my husband's ex wife and children from that marriage. Not rumourmongering but a hostile takeover campaign. My husband's kids (now in their 30's) coerced him into signing over his entire assets - that is, several houses, all mortgage free - to them. They didn't speak to him for years until he did it - he's a soft-hearted man and just wanted peace in the family, so he gave in to thier demands. I only found out about this a few months ago.

And, now that their dad is ill and his mental faculties deteriorating rapidly so that he is not in a posititon to understand what is going on, the son tried to trick him out of further assets. Luckily I found out in time, got an attorney and we got back at least part of what is ours. His son tricked him into signing over a complete Power of Attorney, which gave him, the son, the right to my husband's entire finances. He could go to the bank and empty our account, if he wanted! Also full rights over him as a patient - the right to put him in a care home, for instance. My attorney got that cancelled as well.

Meanwhile, we are living in a home with a huge mortgage, cutting my husband's pension by more than half!

But I refuse to get my knickers in a twist over this. I think they will not be happy in their big fat houses. Already the son has a drink problem. Once he called me up in the middle of the night and abused me in a drunken fit - horrible name-calling, including racial ones. I kept my cool and he quieted down. But I have to say, the way they have tried to trick their own father out of everything he owns sickens me - especially now that he is ill. Some people have no shame.

Even my husband's mother, who refused to speak to me for 16 years, has now switched sides and is speaking to me, because she has noticed how evil the son is.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I have been told every year that I am pregnant by these people for 10 years. This would not bother me if they did not include rank, deluded fantasies with the lies. I have been told I had wild sex with a preacher, that I searched for men via truck stops, and local diners, and that I lie and have "got rid" of these children...........

but every now and then an old friend up the street that is not around much will tell me something new, or a family member will..........

Anyway, it's sad that I have no way of stopping the lies, other than to tell the truth.

A cease and desist order will do it right nicely. I believe all you need is a notarized statement from a couple of people that they've heard these slanderous remarks about you..then BINGO

If you want to play with them a bit, though...

First send them a letter. Make sure to start out with ..'You are hereby notified as follows..." Send it certified mail with a return receipt.

I would write:
Dear Mr. and Mrs 'Septic'

You are hereby notified as follows:

I find your constant gossip mongering both unamusing and slanderous.

I demand that you cease and desist. Failure to do so will result in legal consequences.

But, I bet they are the kind of people who will not stop.

So, for about $50. You pay a lawyer to put it on his letterhead and mail it out. This time make sure to use terms like '10 years of stress' and 'constant mental abuse'.

They will freak...but they won't be able to resist talking about you.

At this point you return to the lawyer and sue them for willful slander and defamation of character, and all of the stress, and the court fees...and while you are at it..get a court order keeping them at least 200 yards from your son at all times because of their poisenous and evil nature.

I mean you cannot tell me that your child is unaware of all of the gossip.

And when you win...make a big show of donating every cent to charity.

..oh...if they do not shut up after that...put them in jail...

Have a nice Day!!!:Sun:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I had an ex who when we were college told everyone in college that I was a whore. At our church he told everyone I was possessed by a demon. Him and his new girlfriend, (ex best friend), even prayed over me to get rid of the demon. I attended a Methodist church at the time.

My ex-boyfriend told a few key people at our church that I was sleeping with an older, married man. The rumor mill prayer chain caught wind of it, and people kept coming up to me at church and asking me odd questions about if I was listening to my heart, if I had prayed, etc. People gave me odd looks when they thought I couldn't see them. Some people flat out refused to talk to me.

So, I left that church. It was several years before I rejected organized religion and, ultimately, a god, but it certainly drove me from that specific church.

Incidently, my ex and I patched things up years later and are very close friends now. Go figure!!! (His mom still thinks I'm a whore, and I think some of the other people from that church still think I'm a homewrecking slut)

Oh, and for the record..."sleeping with an older, married man" = yes, technically it was true. However, he was in the process of a divorce, signed the papers before he even met me, and his ex-wife and I were (and continue to be to this day) friendly. Our relationship had the blessing of my parents, as well as a goodly chunk of my friends who knew him (though I did lose several friends over it). I was 18, he was 34. We are still close friends 7 years after we broke up. How do you like 'dem apples, prayer chain???

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tourdeforce totally nailed it, IMO. Time to get out of Dodge.

What's keeping you where you are? Got your dream job? Own a house with serious equity and the housing market is depressed? Enrolled in a college whose credits won't transfer?

If I were in your shoes--which I'm not--I would give serious consideration to spreading my wings and shaking off the dust of a place where gossip thrives unchallenged. Explore the job market in surrounding areas.

Maybe it's time to move a couple towns over, or to another state, where nobody bears you any ill will or pays you any particular attention. Yes, you'd be farther from your parents and their support, but you're a grown woman with a child to raise. A town tainted by ten years' worth of gossip about his or her mother's morals is not the best place to raise that child.

Get out.