PDA

View Full Version : Utah 2008 Mountain Writers' Retreat

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 02:53 AM
It has come up in a thread and I understand not for the first time in regards to a retreat. I am willing to head up the comittee to look into it and if it is viable plan it for sometime in 2008.

PeeDee has made a suggestion that it be held in Denver which is fairly central to those in the United States.

The first thing we need to determine is how many of our wonderful community would be interested in attending. Then we can discuss the date. I think it would be fair to plan for next summer some time in July. I thought about that and it is logical that it would be warm..travel more amienable and kids will be out for the summer holiday. If we plan that far in advance we have a better chance of saving for it and the details won't be rushed. It gives us approximately 15 months notice.

If you are interested would you please post here and any suggestions for locations. Also if you are interested in helping with the planning of it and executing of it, I would be most grateful.

Things to consider:

Duration:
Workshops:
Activities:
Travel:
Food:
Accomadations:

Okay my fellow AW'ers ...let's hear your ideas. OH and PeeDee...I am hoping for your help :)

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 03:08 AM
I hope your'e not asking for organizational help, because I can barely find my cup of tea... :)

But I'm all yours for ideas.

I think if it's planned far enough out (a year, 15 months is nice) then I have time to put it on my calender, start saving up money for expenses, get my notes ready for allll the panels that I'll be begged to be on. :eyeroll:

Denver's a nice city, it's got a big convention center if we want to go that route (or we could invade a hotel and be somewhat civilized, what with showers and stuff).

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 03:32 AM
We could also use camp grounds :) With big pavillions and such. There are so many options :)

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 03:36 AM
I think for the type of thing we're talking about here, the idyllic campground idea doesn't really work, in that if thirty people come, there can be hotel rooms for them....whereas if there are only fifteen campground cabins, there's going to be sudden bunking-up with people you've never actually met.

I am NOT sleeping in the same cabin as Rllgthunder, OR Ray.

Plus, while I can happily rough it for a few days, or a week, or whatever in a campground and be content at the other end, I expect we have some members here who would be less than thrilled to be getting closer to nature.

Plus, I bet a good-sized hotel in a bigger city -- like, for example, Denver -- would offer discounts on a bulk business deal like this.

san_remo_ave
03-11-2007, 03:38 AM
I think this is a great idea. Would love to participate AND help coordinate, etc. I'm in marketing in my day job.

Denver is a lovely place and now that Southwest goes there (thru ATA) is likely to be more affordable airfare.

Things to consider:

Date: Spring or Fall

Duration: 3 Days

Workshops: Characterization, Plotting, Editing, Research, Marketing

Activities: Book Fair for Published AW Authors, ooh -->AW Awards??!!

Travel: ?? Would be nice to provide some coordinated transportation if the site isn't a local cab ride away from the airport.

Food: Yes, please.

Accomadations:

I think a retreat type atmosphere would be lovely with hiking and outdoor activities. Imagine a campfire activity with ghost-story competition!

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 03:39 AM
LOL...yeah well I was kinda kidding about that PeeDee...however, I did organize a two day campout for my company and employees. There were over 70 of us who attended. But they brought family. LOL boy did we have a blast..but you are correct...I was just thinking of some place like aspen with a hotel atmosphere and large convention rooms.

We have Sundance here in Utah that I know gets booked year round for retreats. Their cabins are actually homes that get rented out and yes...people would share if they wanted to but not bedrooms LOL. Gosh and here I thought you and Ray would have so much fun :)

So everyone we need you to weigh in on this. :)

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 03:42 AM
I think this is a great idea. Would love to participate AND help coordinate, etc. I'm in marketing in my day job.

Denver is a lovely place and now that Southwest goes there (thru ATA) is likely to be more affordable airfare.

Things to consider:

Duration: 3 Days

Workshops: Characterization, Plotting, Editing, Research, Marketing

Activities: Book Fair for Published AW Authors, ooh -->AW Awards??!!

Travel: ?? Would be nice to provide some coordinated transportation if the site isn't a local cab ride away from the airport.

Food: Yes, please.

Accomadations:

I think a retreat type atmosphere would be lovely with hiking and outdoor activities. Imagine a campfire activity with ghost-story competition!Here along the Wasatch front we have: Sundance, Brighton, Snowbird, Parkwest...to name a few and they all have wonderful set ups...Sundance...a bit too pricy...I THINK. I am happy to find out.

san_remo_ave
03-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Do you think a remote retreat setting, or somewhere people might be able to do some sightseeing, dining out, etc?

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon has a bunch of cabins and a lodge and the crazy donkey trail ride the Brady Bunch went on (not to be confused with the busier and more touresty south rim). It's best accessed from NV (probably Vegas) but would be a bit of a drive, tho a lovely remote area.

ETA: Link http://www.grandcanyonnorthrim.com/Accomodations-841.html

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Things I want to see/do at an AW Retreat:

-- A short story race. Meaning we have tow typewriters back to back, someone gives me and another writer an opening sentence, and then we write a short story on the spot. And if another writer doesn't want to do it with me, I will, because it's fun damn it. :)

-- Readings. Would anyone get up and read a short story to the group? I would, I think it's fun.

-- AW Roundtables, where a group of five or six authors sit and have a discussion about some topic, whether on a useful subject (editing, etc.) or something completely off-the-wall (the value and benefit of eggplants to AW.)

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 03:44 AM

-- A short story race. Meaning we have tow typewriters back to back, someone gives me and another writer an opening sentence, and then we write a short story on the spot. And if another writer doesn't want to do it with me, I will, because it's fun damn it. :)

-- Readings. Would anyone get up and read a short story to the group? I would, I think it's fun.

-- AW Roundtables, where a group of five or six authors sit and have a discussion about some topic, whether on a useful subject (editing, etc.) or something completely off-the-wall (the value and benefit of eggplants to AW.)OHHH...this sounds fun!

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 03:45 AM
Nevada would be useful for me, because my wife's family lives in Elko (a couple of hours away from Vegas) so we could fly there, she could visit her folks, i could visit a bunch of crazy people, and it would make for a useful and cool week.

But then, NV might be a bit remote for our friends on the east coast.

san_remo_ave
03-11-2007, 03:47 AM
But then, NV might be a bit remote for our friends on the east coast.

Distance-wise, it might be, but Vegas is such a huge tourist destination that flights are usually nice and inexpensive.

san_remo_ave
03-11-2007, 03:48 AM

-- AW Roundtables, where a group of five or six authors sit and have a discussion about some topic, whether on a useful subject (editing, etc.) or something completely off-the-wall (the value and benefit of eggplants to AW.)

Ooh, I like those!

But howabout we use computers instead of typewriters, so we can display the text on monitors for people watching??

san_remo_ave
03-11-2007, 03:50 AM
One of the biggest convention locations is Orlando because it has the added benefit of Disney and Universal Studios and all to divert the rest of the family. Nice and inexpensive airfare, too. The Orlando airport also has an attached hotel, so you can exit the concourse and take an escalator up to the desk to check in. No cabs or other transport needed.

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 03:50 AM
Distance-wise, it might be, but Vegas is such a huge tourist destination that flights are usually nice and inexpensive.

It's certainly fine by me. Denver is closer to where I live now, but Nevada would be much more useful location for me. And I love Vegas.

Using computers and monitors is a fun idea too.

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 04:06 AM
Nevada would be useful for me, because my wife's family lives in Elko (a couple of hours away from Vegas) so we could fly there, she could visit her folks, i could visit a bunch of crazy people, and it would make for a useful and cool week.

But then, NV might be a bit remote for our friends on the east coast.My sister lives in Vegas...blech. I am sure we will get some place that can be good :)

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 04:09 AM
There'll be four hundred of us in a room, and then we discover horribly that...it turns out....we're all just happy to be quiet and listen to everyone else. And then the whole thing is an utter bust.

Little Red Barn
03-11-2007, 04:18 AM
I'm in Cas, how about a beach scene...somehere on the Gulf---Texas? Yess!

Luke flees the scene
03-11-2007, 04:22 AM
Wow, this would be an awesome idea. I'm not a long-term member yet, but by 2008 I guess I will be. I'm going on a youth group retreat to Orlando, FL this summer. =]

Is there going to be a certain age limit or anything? Cause we have relatives in Denver, so I could definately attend. Or at least, I'd have an excuse to. lol.

jodiodi
03-11-2007, 04:23 AM
I like the idea of a fairly remote location. what about the Stanley Hotel? It's certainly got a literary history. Plus, it'd give me an excuse to go there other than just ... wanting to go there.

Little Red Barn
03-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Wow, this would be an awesome idea. I'm not a long-term member yet, but by 2008 I guess I will be. I'm going on a youth group retreat to Orlando, FL this summer. =]

Is there going to be a certain age limit or anything? Cause we have relatives in Denver, so I could definately attend. Or at least, I'd have an excuse to. lol.
TaT, you are very much a part of our family-- :Hug2:

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 04:28 AM
rugcat just sent me a PM check this out

http://www.altalodge.com/

This is his family's business. Keep the comments coming folks :)

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 04:29 AM

I think as with anyone who is a minor we will need parental consent forms and the like...but we can work that out...don't worry if this really happens you won't be left behind :)

Little Red Barn
03-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Well...Utah...well...

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 04:36 AM
There'll be four hundred of us in a room, and then we discover horribly that...it turns out....we're all just happy to be quiet and listen to everyone else. And then the whole thing is an utter bust.don't worry about that PeeDee...I used to run a VERY large corporation and I usually talk too long. I am sure once we all get over the shock of:

Casi: OH MY GOD! YOU'RE REALLY PeeDee?
PD: yes..worship me.
Casi: HEY EVERYONE THIS IS OUR PEEDEE!
PD: Thank you very much..so where's the booze?
Maestro: Where's the hottub?
Haggis: I need a place to pee.
Casi: Where's the newspaper to wack Haggis with?

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 04:36 AM
Utah would work for me the same way Vegas would. It's close enough that my wife could stills ort something out with her family.

TaT, you can surely come. the consent forms are probably a good idea, so that if you wake up naked in the woods with a curiously fuzzy feeling, you won't be able to sue us.

(what? It had to be said.)

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Well...Utah...well...HEY! I live here LOL. I just posted that for people to see his contribution.

What do people think about Chicago? NYC? Then maybe some of our UK friends could join us?

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 04:38 AM
Utah would work for me the same way Vegas would. It's close enough that my wife could stills ort something out with her family.

TaT, you can surely come. the consent forms are probably a good idea, so that if you wake up naked in the woods with a curiously fuzzy feeling, you won't be able to sue us.

(what? It had to be said.)Okay that's it! PeeDee you are our MC for the first night's meet and greet.

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 04:39 AM
THAT'LL go well.

PETE: Our next guest is a large burly man, the physical descendent of Ernest Hemmingway. He knows his way around writing and booze, and wimmin! Put your hands together!

SUSIE: Thanks, Pete, that was super!

PETE: I'm so burnt. I forget where I am.

Pagey's_Girl
03-11-2007, 04:50 AM
Denver would probably be far more affordable than NYC - I live in the SE NY area, and we're in the precess of organizing an all-hands meeting for the division I support. The "discount corporate rates" we were quoted for some of the Westchester/NYC hotels were nasty...

I have several friends in North Carolina (Asheville/Winston-Salem area) who have said some very nice things about the area. And someone I work with just came back from Myrtle Beach. (It would probably be best to think spring timeframe for that area, though - hurricane season can bring some unpleasant surprises to the East Coast.)

Just my $0.02... :)

Anonymisty
03-11-2007, 05:11 AM
I have several friends in North Carolina (Asheville/Winston-Salem area) who have said some very nice things about the area. And someone I work with just came back from Myrtle Beach. (It would probably be best to think spring timeframe for that area, though - hurricane season can bring some unpleasant surprises to the East Coast.)

Well, technically hurricane season begins in May and runs through November, but most of the storms that threaten Myrtle Beach occur after September. The real danger about Myrtle Beach in July is the million and a half vacationers we'd have to maneuver around. Not terribly pleasant. If we wanted to try a beach in July, moving further south to the Lowcountry might be a less crowded, uncomfortable option.

Asheville's fabulous, though. Cooler than the beach in July, and an extremely artsy, funky town. And there are several colleges and universities in the area, where one could arrange a retreat for writers while the students are not around.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Luke flees the scene
03-11-2007, 05:40 AM
I think as with anyone who is a minor we will need parental consent forms and the like...but we can work that out...don't worry if this really happens you won't be left behind :)

Alright, thanks.

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 05:45 AM
But you'd better be really interesting when you get there, or else.

Little Red Barn
03-11-2007, 05:47 AM
Cool on NYC... Casi...just was thinking how far Utah was for me... ;)

Luke flees the scene
03-11-2007, 05:48 AM
But you'd better be really interesting when you get there, or else.

Me? lol

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Cool on NYC... Casi...just was thinking how far Utah was for me... ;)

See, that's why I suggested Denver. It's a fairly central location.

san_remo_ave
03-11-2007, 05:59 AM
What about New Orleans as another option for central location?

Pump a little money into the local economy while they continue to try and rebuild? They're saying tourism is only about 1/2 of what it was before the hurricane. We could go in the spring before it gets sticky/muggy hot. We could probably even set up a volunteer event there (Habitat for Humanity or something similar).

Or there's always Nashville.... ;)

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 06:03 AM
New Orleans would be.....much more difficult for me (partially, I have to figure out what my range is, and what I'm doing with my wife and what will at this point be a young child). I would LOVE to go to New Orleans and Baton Rouge and that area, since it's where I'm from and I haven't been there in a long, loooooong time.

And I've always wanted to do Habitat for Humanity...

So that's a good idea, although it does make my inclusion in all of this a little more iffy. But we can hardly plan the whole thing around "where Pete can go," :)

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Let's just say ..the deep south is out...it is hot...Utah would only be okay if it was in the mountains...

We can't have our writers so dehydrated and worn out from heat they don't have a good time.

If Denver is good maybe somewhere in the Black Hills of South Dakota maybe...where they have set ups for things like this at BHSU

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 06:09 AM
South Dakota in a year? I could 100% make that. Er. For whatever that's worth... :)

That said, the odds of ever getting a location that works for everybody is not only near impossible, but one of the reasons these things never properly got underway before...

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 06:16 AM
South Dakota in a year? I could 100% make that. Er. For whatever that's worth... :)

That said, the odds of ever getting a location that works for everybody is not only near impossible, but one of the reasons these things never properly got underway before...Well the question is...who wants it bad enough...and I happen to know that at BHSU when the dorms are fairly empty for the summer you can rent them for cheap. We can have activities that break up the day around there like hiking or picnics for lunch as well.

But like I said first commitment. :)

Popeyesays
03-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Oklahoma City is just as central as Denver, as far as air transport goes. And OKC has a thriving and booming Habitat for Humanity program. Motel accomodations are also inexpensive by Denver and NYC standards. I'm in OKC, obviously, but I could helps set things up.

Regards,

Scott

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 06:20 AM
I could probably get to Oklahoma City too, if that's the way everyone went.

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Oklahoma City is just as central as Denver, as far as air transport goes. And OKC has a thriving and booming Habitat for Humanity program. Motel accomodations are also inexpensive by Denver and NYC standards. I'm in OKC, obviously, but I could helps set things up.

Regards,

Scottokay can you tell me about the Habitat for Humanity program?

Little Red Barn
03-11-2007, 06:23 AM
Well, you all figure it out---I'll get there...Let me know if I can help :)

LizzieGirl
03-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Things to consider:

I was thinking what about Phoenix in April. The reason why I say this is because there is a Book Festival at the beginning of the month. Some local names present there but some big names do too. Last year Jodi Picoult was there. I know it's hot in Arizona (I've lived here since 92) but I think that would be a good event for us to do as a group. It would be quite a learning experience.

Soccer Mom
03-11-2007, 06:32 AM
I like Denver, OKC, or AZ. All would be good for me.

Luke flees the scene
03-11-2007, 06:36 AM
Are we talking about Oklahoma City, OK? Cause that would be like... an hour to two hours of a drive for me.

san_remo_ave
03-11-2007, 06:53 AM
The Dakotas/Wyoming/Montana (while reportedly lovely to visit and someplace I want to visit some day) will be difficult and more expensive for more of our folks. These are locations most will have to fly to and airline carriers that go there are fewer (I use Southwest airlines as a rule of thumb for affordable airfare since other airlines tend to be more competitive when SW also serves the market).

OKC sounds like a solid central location just as much as Denver, altho maybe more affordable from a hotel and per diem cost standpoint.

http://www.southwest.com/images/travel_center/routemap.gif
ETA: image linked from southwest.com

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Proving how geographically sound I am, I had Denver and Omaha reversed.

Okay, who wants to meet in Omaha!? We can have...er...good steaks?

johnzakour
03-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Just a note, World Con is going to be in Denver in 2008 sometime in August I believe. Not sure if we want to clash, but I will be there for that. So maybe others will be too...

I admit I'm not a big fan of travel and I'm already committed to Comic Con San Diego, Comic Con NY, World Con and World Fantasy (maybe, I'm going in 07, but maybe not in 08) and some other con I think I'm suppose to attend.

Therefore, I vote for upstate NY and not just so I don't have to travel. It's nice quiet and peaceful.

Still Vegas and Orlando are always fun.

My other choice would be Costa Rica in Feb. because I'm going to be there anyhow, might as well bring a few people along...

jodiodi
03-11-2007, 08:31 AM
I like Chicago, Atlanta or Nashville. Actually, I'd have liked New Orleans, too. Asheville is a beautiful area and there are plenty of places around there. I also like the Nag's Head/Outer Banks area in NC. But whatever's best for everyone else.

johnzakour
03-11-2007, 08:35 AM
What about (and I'm serious) Buffalo? They could use a good gathering there. It's close to Niagra Falls, one of the Seven or Eight natural wonders of the world. (Well, at least on some lists...) Hotels and food are reasonable.

Mags
03-11-2007, 08:43 AM
I see the suggestions about AZ--a wonderful state, I've been there a couple of times and loved it. Last time we sort of zipped through Flagstaff, and I longed to spend some time there. It's a funky college town up in the mountains, lots of history, and Route 66 goes through there. Also anyone who wanted to make a side trip to the Grand Canyon could do so easily from there. Spring/summer/early fall would probably be the best time as it is in the mountains--I don't think it gets very hot there as it does in the desert.

Bravo
03-11-2007, 08:45 AM
chicago or texas are good.

texas has a lot of AWers it seems like, and chicago is a central city.

Haggis
03-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey, hey, hey!

CatSlave
03-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I think we should go to Uncle Jim's house.

LizzieGirl
03-11-2007, 09:13 AM
I think we should go to Uncle Jim's house.

I don't think he would like that. *ponders the thought of lots of people in Uncle Jim's house*

Wait...I bet you aren't talking about My Uncle Jim.

(Couldnt resist sorry)

CatSlave
03-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Or the Nevada desert to coincide with the Burning Man festival.
The AW crowd would fit right in.
:)

Lilybiz
03-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Hey everyone,

Lots of good ideas. I did like the New Orleans idea--depending on the time of year, the weather can be great there. And if most of our activities are going to be indoors it might not matter so much.

However, I'm willing to be overruled, especially if it means PeeDee will be able to make it.

Staying away from major urban areas (Chicago, New York, LA, even Denver) might be cost-effective. Asheville is gorgeous and we'd never want for anything there. Oklahoma City rocks, if I remember correctly. You could talk me into hanging out anywhere in South Dakota.

I picture us in a lodge-type setting, where we have access to town as well as nature. There have been a couple of good suggestions for this type of place. It probably depends on how many people want to attend. It would also be nice if we can get some single rooms. Or maybe not. Maybe we should take our chances...

I'll be one to get up and read stories, PeeDee. I like your other ideas, too. Prizes for something! And maybe a Mod fashion show (I want to see poetinahat's hat).

Lyra Jean
03-11-2007, 09:42 AM
What about DeSmet SD. Laura Ingalls Wilder lived there. Yeah so I'm a big fan of hers. OKC is a good choice for me along with Orlando and Asheville.

Otherwise pick a place and will desperately try to come. I'll bring ramen.

aruna
03-11-2007, 11:36 AM
oh, I'm in! All the way form Europe - anywhere you pick, except Vegas. Upstate NY is nice. So is Denver. I haev friends in California, Arizona, Florida and Massachusetts so those are high on my list but you decide!

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I will keep in touch in this thread and let people know...until then...I love more ideas about the sort of writing activities we can have along with possible guest speakers.

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 07:03 PM
We'll hire a big bouncer, too, in case the MOds want to "ban" anyone. :D

kdnxdr
03-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Okay, I can't take it anymore, I have to come out of lurkness!

I want to participate, if I can. It sounds like sooooooooooo much fun.

If your thinking REAL central, I would suggest Branson, Missouri (which has a ton of excellent shopping (state of the art outdoor mall, excellent discount malls and high-end joints as well). There's excellent nature stuff with opportunities for biking (both kinds), hiking (novice and advanced), fishing is incredible (marinas everywhere), all kinds of camping from rustic to Dogwood Canyon (upscale and owned by BassPro). There's bird watching (human and the feathered kind) and beautiful sceanary for inspiration. There's all kinds of musical shows, magic shows, showy shows. More variety of family entertainment than you would ever find at Disneyland.

Well, anyway, it's a very fun, cool place to go.

They also have their share of mysteries: the 3 missing women and other unsolved crimes in the area. Rockaway Beach is a little offbeat community that in its heyday was the summer getaway for Al Capone and company. Springfield, Missouri is up and coming and an interesting place to visit; one hour to the North. Little Rock and Hot Springs are a day trip.
Little Rock has all types of writing communites and writing retreats!

The whole region is worth a google!

Hope ya'll don't mind me poking into your conversation. I was living in that area and hope to return in a couple of years. Presently, I live in Mississippi. Definately, Mississippi could use the money, they are still in very, very bad shape on the coast.

Lilybiz
03-11-2007, 07:24 PM
I will keep in touch in this thread and let people know...until then...I love more ideas about the sort of writing activities we can have along with possible guest speakers.

Casi, guest speakers might depend on where we end up and if we can spend any money. For example, if we're in Seattle or Spokane, we might be able to get somebody cool like Sherman Alexie, because he hails from there. Whereas getting him to Orlando might not be so easy...

Other possibilities include who owes an AW member a favor. Or who IS an AW member. :)

san_remo_ave
03-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Branson, MO would be lovely.

Here's a BEAUTIFUL resort that I have stayed at before. It's just outside Branson. We stayed in the 2 bedroom cabins and they are WONDERFUL. Like a 2 BR suite with a kitchen, fridge, living room and back deck.

http://www.big-cedar.com/

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 08:31 PM
The important thing about location to remember, I think, is that it's less about what is interesting to do there than it is about the ability to get there, and the cost involved. It's why suggestions for places like Las Vegas, to which the flights tend to be cheap, make good sense.

After all, we don't need a lot to do. We're a great bloody lot of writers, we can entertain ourselves pretty well. If four hundred of us descended on the town of Echo, Utah (population....3?) then we could still probably occupy ourselves just fine.

kdnxdr
03-11-2007, 08:36 PM
They have cheap flight rates to Echo, Utah?

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 08:49 PM
On the off chance that anyone flies into Echo Utah, I bet they'd fly you there free. 'course, the joke's on you, since there's no runway (there's barely a damned road) so you better hope you land on something soft when they push you out the airplane. :)

Lilybiz
03-11-2007, 08:50 PM
The important thing about location to remember, I think, is that it's less about what is interesting to do there than it is about the ability to get there, and the cost involved. It's why suggestions for places like Las Vegas, to which the flights tend to be cheap, make good sense.

After all, we don't need a lot to do. We're a great bloody lot of writers, we can entertain ourselves pretty well. If four hundred of us descended on the town of Echo, Utah (population....3?) then we could still probably occupy ourselves just fine.

Yeah, plus Vegas has something for everyone (like Branson, sounds like). I'm not interested in gambling, but the desert is gorgeous and there's great hiking trails and stuff.

But PeeDee's right. We're probably talking about a long weekend. How much of that time is going to be spent playing tourist when we have each other for entertainment? Unless only a few people show up. In which case we can just do it at my house.

Maryn
03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Are you all aware that there have been two previous attempts at this, one for all and one organized by a particular board's regulars? Some stuff to be learned from those efforts:
Big cities' hotels are often priced beyond affordability for many who would otherwise attend.
Transportation from airport to hotel/lodge/cabins/tents can cost as much as $50 each way. Many would-be attendees can't swing an extra $100, so locals and those who drove in may need to commit to shuttle duties.
Purpose may determine location. If we're all about meeting one another and running some writing panels and readings, we don't need a city or area which offers something for everyone. If people won't attend unless they can experience the city, that changes things, possibly to a more expensive destination.
Hub city or vacation destinations = savings for air travelers.
Off-season = savings for hotel stays.
Many who can't afford air travel may opt for bus or rail--but train routes are limited and schedules weird. (I just checked airfare for myself to reach Denver--nearly $400. No can do. Train doesn't run from here to there, and I'm loath to spend 3 days on a bus.)
Some will attend with spouses in tow. Who's organizing something to keep them happy?
These questions and others came up and most often were not successfully addressed in the earliest attempts to convene. It'd be a blast--but an organizational nightmare, too.

Maryn, wet blanket

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Yay, party at aertep's house! ;)

(if it's just me, Casi, and aertep, then this is going to be a wee bit awkward...)

Due to, as is pointed out, this thing probably just being a long weekend, it's why I tend to shy away from the idea of doing a Habitat for Humanity thing. Fond though I am of HoH, I think this sort of event is more to meet and hang out with writers, rather than learn the interesting bits about operating a circular saw.

But that said, as a whole seperate aside, I think it would be great fun for writers here to plan a weekend to go down and help out with HoH in the south. I just think they're two seperate events... :)

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Are you all aware that there have been two previous attempts at this, one for all and one organized by a particular board's regulars? Some stuff to be learned from those efforts:

Yeah, I know, and I mentioned that. Twice when the thread appeared, over in Writing Novels and once here, I believe. But Casi seemed determined, so I figured it couldn't hurt to encourage it. :)

Lilybiz
03-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I wasn't aware, and the blanket is wet indeed. All good points, Maryn. I'm stumped.

Video, anyone?

paprikapink
03-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Too bad Viable Paradise is for SF and Fantasy in particular. Otherwise we could just all descend on it......

rhymegirl
03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
I agree with a lot of what Maryn said.

We already voted on this stuff before and NYC won. But still there were members who didn't want to go there because it's too expensive.

The only thing that makes sense is to have regional meetings. One out west, one up north, one down south, one in the east.

johnzakour
03-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Dang reality! Regional sounds good.

The other option might be to have sub-meetings at some of the bigger writer's conferences.

Lilybiz
03-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Oh, you're right. Dang reality indeed. I'd probably be disappointed anyway. Maybe PeeDee really looks like his avatar, instead of like Brad Pitt, like I was hoping.

I look like my avatar, by the way.

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Oh, you're right. Dang reality indeed. I'd probably be disappointed anyway. Maybe PeeDee really looks like his avatar, instead of like Brad Pitt, like I was hoping.

*chokes on his tea*

Lilybiz
03-11-2007, 10:01 PM
*chokes on his tea*

At least I got to meet Ray, and he looks like his avatar. Kinda.

tjwriter
03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
You know I'd been thinking the very same thing. I think it could work with a lot of planning. But of course, everyone won't be able to come. That's a given.

However, if I knew I had X amount of time to come up Y amount of dollars, it helps a bunch.

And I was thinking maybe Missouri/Arkansas area. It's central to the states, has pretty mountains, and has lodges.

I was doing a search on this. Most of the ones I have looked as so far have group rates for special occasions. And, picking an off-the-road area in the off season helps for lower rates.
http://www.blingo.com/search?q=Find+a+vacation+Lodge+Ozarks

I also like the idea of something in the Smoky's. If you can't tell I love mountains. But the places away from large cities are most apt to have better rates for off season large number events.

san_remo_ave
03-11-2007, 10:28 PM
We already voted on this stuff before and NYC won. But still there were members who didn't want to go there because it's too expensive.

The only thing that makes sense is to have regional meetings. One out west, one up north, one down south, one in the east.

The thing about putting something national together is that there will always be people who can't or won't attend for very different reasons. We'd never be able to please everyone. Best way to approach is to structure it around the key things that are important to most members (ease of access, inexpensive) then take it to different locations --one time in middle America, another in the south, another in the west, one in Britain (had to throw it in for some of our int'l folks :D) etc.

Certainly, we can look at doing regional US meetings, but that takes more effort (coordination x 5 regions of the accomodations, events and special guests) and could in effect be achieved by rotating a big one around (over a bigger period of time). If you break it down at all, would be neat to break it down by country --US, Canada, UK, Australia --and advertise to all so those who might be inclined to jump the pond to attend an international version could.

This group is so much fun because of the diversity of location and background, it would be cool if we could try to assemble together in one location too.

I work on conventions enough to know that it is possible to pull off. Just takes time and determination.

TsukiRyoko
03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I'll be legal by the time 2008 rolls around, so :hooray: I'll definately be willing to go, even if I have to walk there (long walk....)

I say Denver is a brilliant place to have it. Summer is a wonderful time for it. Lots of people won't have work (or will be able to take a vacation), so it sounds pretty convenient.

As for food, erm....BYOB, perhaps? :D I say we go for a nice catering place will a wide variety of foods at a price that won't kill. We could raise a benefit for the money (most AWers would be more than happy to contribute, I'm sure).

For the activities, I like Pete's idea of having an actual roundtable thing going on. Part discussion groups, part goofing off and socializing. We could even go for a really laid-back thing and just have a get-together of some sort- while it wouldn't be as productive, it'll be good for getting to know one another.

Perhaps we could do a sort of "tour", for lack of a better word- we could host the retreat at a few different locations of the country for convenience. Not only will this be great for people who can't travel far, but it's much more lax on everyone's schedule. If you can't go on ___, you'll be able to go to the next one.

And for the love of everything Earthly, get a big coffee maker and lots of tea bags. BIG coffee maker and MOUNTAINS of tea bags. Massive, gigantic, Rhode Island sized coffee maker and Mt. Fuji pile of tea bags. :D

Luke flees the scene
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I could seriously make it to Oklahoma City or Saint Louis really easily. But I'll be able to drive by then, so I'll be able to drive myself so my parents won't have to worry about paying for gas.

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 10:33 PM
And for the love of everything Earthly, get a big coffee maker and lots of tea bags. BIG coffee maker and MOUNTAINS of tea bags. Massive, gigantic, Rhode Island sized coffee maker and Mt. Fuji pile of tea bags. :D

Amen, sister. At least, if anyone wants me conscious anyway.

PeeDee
03-11-2007, 10:36 PM
The whole affair just needs to be treated as another convention (and how are they organized) or, since it's appealing to a specific group, like when Neil Gaiman & fans organized and pulled off Fiddler's Green, which was dead impressive.

TsukiRyoko
03-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Amen, sister. At least, if anyone wants me conscious anyway.
*big nod* Without my 15 cups of coffe and tea a day, I just can't function.

TsukiRyoko
03-11-2007, 10:42 PM
The whole affair just needs to be treated as another convention (and how are they organized) or, since it's appealing to a specific group, like when Neil Gaiman & fans organized and pulled off Fiddler's Green, which was dead impressive.
Just so long as it isn't one of those stiff-collar writer's conventions (my aunt dragged me to one and it was deadly boring). But then, I doubt anything could be dull for long with this crowd....

tjwriter
03-11-2007, 11:12 PM
The thing about putting something national together is that there will always be people who can't or won't attend for very different reasons. We'd never be able to please everyone. Best way to approach is to structure it around the key things that are important to most members (ease of access, inexpensive) then take it to different locations --one time in middle America, another in the south, another in the west, one in Britain (had to throw it in for some of our int'l folks :D) etc.
This group is so much fun because of the diversity of location and background, it would be cool if we could try to assemble together in one location too.

I work on conventions enough to know that it is possible to pull off. Just takes time and determination.

I think this is an excellent idea. We plan the first one, and then have it at a rotation to a different area/region/country every 2 years.

I think we need to form a committee, with a chair, and have each person work on a piece of the puzzle. Surely we can work to get things like good rates for flights from certain locations. For example, several people from the midwest region all fly out of Nashville together, etc. We have a large enough talent pool to do this, we just need to get everyone involved in doing the right work to get it done.

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Okay you guys, *puts on her executive hat* I am going to step in here and maybe just MAYBE see if we can actually get this done. Maryn has excellent input and I am going to print down those concerns. We don't need a committe just yet.

Right now what I need to know is if you have heard of spots that are good for a retreat let me know.

I am going to approach this as a seminar and PeeDee is correct, it doesn't matter where it is as long as we can all be together and get something accomplished. This isn't a holiday folks it is a writing retreat. Included in my research will be for a travel agency who can do the booking rates at group discount rates...No one will have to pay full price if it is up to me and we will have buses to take us to and from the hotel. We will arrive and depart as a group for the most part to save EVERYONE money.

For now..I need a head count as to who is serious about attending. Then when I have that I have enough to start talking to agencies about possible places. If you know of some place be sure to give me a link to it and I will add it to the list. So far we have something from two people.

Who wants IN? I am taking roll :)

Lilybiz
03-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Count me as one, with spouse possibly in tow.

Pat~
03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Sounds like a neat idea. I think the location ought to be as central as possible, to allow for as many to come as possible, and also not in too big of a city--to make it more affordable. (Orlando is lots of fun, but the hotels are very expensive there, BTW.) That said, here are my votes:

Location: Oklahoma City; Branson, MO; another midwest/southwest locale

Date: Late June, early July (we have camp travel later)

Duration: Weekend

Workshops: Poetry, Article writing, etc.

Activities: roundtable discussions, readings, guess-the-AW-member, etc.

Travel: car, Southwest airlines

Food: plenty of it

Accomodations: preferably a hotel situation (not into camping for the weekend)

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 11:37 PM
I have created a poll for the question of who wants to participate..a head count will be easier that way :) This is the question I need answered most :)

tjwriter
03-11-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm in, provided I have enough time to get together the proper amounts of money.

If you would like some assistance, just let me know what task to do.

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm in, provided I have enough time to get together the proper amounts of money.

If you would like some assistance, just let me know what task to do.woohoo! thanks for offering...when I get a good count..then I will start on the next phaze...btw..make sure you take the poll.

PS. OH and guys..I promise...NO camping will be required...we will go for the whole nine yards...beds AND a shower...I don't want to sit next to stinky men :)

tjwriter
03-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Can't you just imagine 2 day old stretchy pants? Ewww!

Cassiopeia
03-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Can't you just imagine 2 day old stretchy pants? Ewww!
hey! i like stretchy pants LOL

Cassiopeia
03-12-2007, 12:12 AM
During my research into MFA programs, I came across this lodge, where the University of Nebraska MFA program holds their writing retreats.

http://www.liedlodge.org/

I agree that the retreat should be about the retreat and participants, not about the city it is held in. The point would be writing and meeting others from AW, not gambling in Vegas or going to Disneyland, right?

Good luck with this. If it comes together, I think I would enjoy attending.

KevinThanks...pretty cool place :) I will put it in the file...this is cool ..thanks :)

tjwriter
03-12-2007, 12:24 AM
I agree very much. In my mind, it would be nice to have somewhere that offers a few recreational things for after the day's activities are done, but that would not be the main point. However, I think the social aspect of meeting all the people we hang out with at the Cooler is important.

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 12:24 AM
hey! i like stretchy pants LOL

*whew*

(I will completely fail to wear any sort of stretchy pants to this thing. I'm sorry. I will, if asked, wear a flannel. Maybe.)

I've mentioned it to my wife, and I think given the time frame we're looking at (2008, right?) it's feasible for me. Barring no catastrophic emergencies with Tzinski 2.0, I should have the money to make it.

So, as long as it's somewhere I can feasibly get to (I have no fear of the bus, or flying, either can get me where I need to go) I'll happily be there.

That aside, it IS a writer's retreat, and as such, I think it would be cool if on the first day, when everyone presumably gets their name tag, they have just below their names the word count that they're going to achieve over the time period. Harder tahn one might think, since in addition to writing we'll be socializing.

I aso think that on those name badges, we should have our screen names too. That way, I don't have to try to associate "Reginald Q. Pinthy" as "Rllgthunder" in my head.

tjwriter
03-12-2007, 12:41 AM
So true Pete. I need to identify people by their screen names. Or avatars for that matter.

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I better not go to this thing and find out that you're all a bunch of weirdoes or something...

Luke flees the scene
03-12-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm a weirdo.

san_remo_ave
03-12-2007, 01:02 AM
I better not go to this thing and find out that you're all a bunch of weirdoes or something...

I think that's a given.

*sniff*

You'll just have to accept us as we are.

tjwriter
03-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Ohh, this one has the perfect room to look all "writerly"

http://www.helenblackbear.com/lodge.html

Mae
03-12-2007, 01:26 AM
summer 2008? Count me in.

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 01:33 AM

If I were fed and then seated in that room, I would fall asleep in five minutes.

Cassiopeia
03-12-2007, 02:25 AM

hun send me a pm with that addie please? I gotta hit the showers...Casi just did a two hour work out..whew!

Yes peoples July 2008 :)

Cassiopeia
03-12-2007, 02:29 AM
I better not go to this thing and find out that you're all a bunch of weirdoes or something...OH and PeeDee you know I am weirdo :) But I guess one in a bunch of totally NORMAL people is just fine hey? ;)

johnzakour
03-12-2007, 03:35 AM
My vote is for any city that is one plane ride away from Rochester NY or Syracuse NY. The less planes the better.

Rolling Thunder
03-12-2007, 03:51 AM
I aso think that on those name badges, we should have our screen names too. That way, I don't have to try to associate "Reginald Q. Pinthy" as "Rllgthunder" in my head.

I think everyone should wear a name badge with 'Rllgthunder' written on it, whether I can make it or not.

That way, Pete won't be disappointed and everybody can enjoy watching his squirrelly little eyes dart around the room.....wondering. ;)

tjwriter
03-12-2007, 04:07 AM
My vote is for any city that is one plane ride away from Rochester NY or Syracuse NY. The less planes the better.

See, I am all for a road trip. It's been years, and I miss them. Ahh, the nostalgia of driving on the road. We did it a bunch when I was kid. My dad and I were the only ones who could stay awake, so I am proficient at map reading.

jodiodi
03-12-2007, 04:55 AM
I'm for anywhere that's pet friendly. We usually travel with our dogs and I don't stay anywhere I can't take them. My husband will be with me, too (we go everywhere together). As for place, I don't care. The center of the country (the St. Louis, KC area) is geographically centered.

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 06:29 AM
See, I am all for a road trip. It's been years, and I miss them. Ahh, the nostalgia of driving on the road. We did it a bunch when I was kid. My dad and I were the only ones who could stay awake, so I am proficient at map reading.

The same here. Travel distance doesn't worry me about this, because I really adore road trips. It's jsut money, and figuring out how much time off work, and what that winds up costing me too, that's all I have to bank for.

tjwriter
03-12-2007, 06:40 AM
The same here. Travel distance doesn't worry me about this, because I really adore road trips. It's jsut money, and figuring out how much time off work, and what that winds up costing me too, that's all I have to bank for.

Same thing, too.

This is getting creepy...

:wag:

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 06:50 AM
It's creepy, and we haven't even met yet.

Fun and interesting stuff aside, if we get this off the ground, it's going to be a strange extended weekend. You're going to have endless repeats of the conversation...

"So...you're 'tjwriter' huh?"

"Yeah. And you're Peedee."

"Yeah."

"Huh."

"Yep...."

"So......did you....read that post on beta readers in the Novels forum?"

"Yeah, that was wild! Want a drink?"

"Sure."

;)

rugcat
03-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Hmm. You're not as tall as I thought you'd be.

Lilybiz
03-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Oh, so you're PeeDee?

Yeah. You must be aertep.

Yeah. Wow, I didn't recognize you! You don't look like your avatar at all!

Thanks. I'd have known you anywhere.

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 07:30 AM
COLLECTIVE WOMEN OF AW: Who invited Johnny Depp here???

RLLGTHUNDER: That's Peedee.

COLLECTIVE WOMEN OF AW: *SWOOOON!*

RLLGTHUNDER: Er...um....I kind of look like Nick Nolte!

COLLECTIVE WOMEN OF AW: ICK! AS IF!

RLLGTHUNDER RUNS OFF CRYING.

:D

(okay, this will be fun after all)

Cassiopeia
03-12-2007, 07:32 AM

(okay, this will be fun after all)Lol...you are such a kid! I HOPE YOU LOOK LIKE JOHHNY DEPP That would make my century...though the conference will not be responsible for the smutty stories being prompted by your presense..IF you really do look like him :)

Lilybiz
03-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Casi, I know I said I was bringing my husband, but if ANYBODY there looks like Depp, you can scratch that.

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm sorry. I really don't look like Johnny Depp. I'm not nearly so interesting. Depending on how many consecutive minutes I've spent not-writing and sleeping, I usually look like a stunned lemur...

But I'm sure someone else will be pretty there. :)

Rolling Thunder
03-12-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm sorry. I really don't look like Johnny Depp. I'm not nearly so interesting. Depending on how many consecutive minutes I've spent not-writing and sleeping, I usually look like a stunned lemur...

I did mention you have squirrelly eyes so a lemur isn't far off. :D

Cassiopeia
03-12-2007, 07:50 AM
well you're in luck cos I look like...hmmm...well gosh darn it..ME!

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 07:57 AM
http://images.mavarin.com/cover_Lemur.jpg

Rolling Thunder
03-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Hmmm....no, I was wrong. The lemur looks more human than you do, Pete. :D

maestrowork
03-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Florida or California, please.

spike
03-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Jumping in!

I would love to attend, but financially it may be difficult unless it is in the NE. Pennsylvania is a beautiful area!

Also, I'm not an outdoorsy person, so if we are looking at anything rustic or camp-like, count me out.

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Jumping in!

I would love to attend, but financially it may be difficult unless it is in the NE. Pennsylvania is a beautiful area!

Also, I'm not an outdoorsy person, so if we are looking at anything rustic or camp-like, count me out.

See, this is why I think we should just take over a hotel. I love being outside. Some people don't know what that bright thing is in the sky and what all this blowing stuff is around them. ;)

Pennsylvania is gorgeous, as is most of New England (I happily lived in New Hampshire and Main for a few years) but I'm not sure it's even a little bit practical for someone flying or driving from California, or even Louisiana...

Shadow_Ferret
03-12-2007, 05:20 PM
PeeDee has made a suggestion that it be held in Denver which is fairly central to those in the United States.

I always thought Kansas was the center.

Not that I'd attend anyway. It would have to be in my own backyard. I don't have any discretionary income to go galavanting across the U.S.

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 05:23 PM
It does'nt have to be discretionary, you can tell people about it if you want!

My wife and six billion people have pointed out to me now that Denver isn't the center of the U.S. *sigh* I know, I know. I was just looking for a fairly in the middle city that was big and wouldn't bat an eye if a load of people descended on it. In a city like Denver, or Vegas, no one would even notice.

Susan Gable
03-12-2007, 05:26 PM
What do people think about Chicago? NYC? Then maybe some of our UK friends could join us?

Chicago and NYC are both extremely expensive places to hold conferences because of all the union rules. For example, in NYC, you can't carry your own box of books to a booksigning set up in a hotel. :) There's a guy for that.

And since I'm sure cost will be a big factor for everyone, I'd say avoid NYC, Chicago, Boston and the like.

I was to a big conference in Atlanta last summer -- very nice city. Easy to use public transportation, lots to see/do, helpful, friendly people. However, not so centrally located. :)

Good luck with all the logistics!

Susan G.

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I was to a big conference in Atlanta last summer -- very nice city. Easy to use public transportation, lots to see/do, helpful, friendly people. However, not so centrally located. :)

Good luck with all the logistics!

Susan G.

On the other hand, the advantage of bigger cities like Atlanta is, they're big cities, flights into them might be a little cheaper.

I dunno. I think, as has been mentioned, it's a good idea if this were treated as a yearly or semi-yearly event. Like WorldCon that moves around. The first year, hold it somewhere centralized or accessible, then in future years, hold it on different sides of the country (San Diego in 2009, Queens, NY in 2010 or something.)

Then, for each year, you just pick a location as sensibly as you can, in a different area from where you've been previous years, and you just decide on it and then get on with it. Otherwise, you could talk location for years without end.

Rolling Thunder
03-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Let's all just meet at Mac's house. We could have our own Woodstock.

TsukiRyoko
03-12-2007, 06:56 PM
See, this is why I think we should just take over a hotel. I love being outside. Some people don't know what that bright thing is in the sky and what all this blowing stuff is around them. ;)

I say we have it in the backass woods and have mudwrestling competitions (I'll win!) :D

I like the hotel idea. Just have a massive group of writers come in and swarm the whole building....

TsukiRyoko
03-12-2007, 06:58 PM
*imagines all the AWers piling in at Mac's place, stealing beer from the fridge, hauling in piles of laptops and typewriters and making themselves at home*

...Heeheeheehee....

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Considering the nighttime population of AW, Mac wouldn't get any sleep and if she did, she'd be scared to leave her fine silverware unguarded...

tjwriter
03-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I dunno. I think, as has been mentioned, it's a good idea if this were treated as a yearly or semi-yearly event. Like WorldCon that moves around. The first year, hold it somewhere centralized or accessible, then in future years, hold it on different sides of the country (San Diego in 2009, Queens, NY in 2010 or something.)

Then, for each year, you just pick a location as sensibly as you can, in a different area from where you've been previous years, and you just decide on it and then get on with it. Otherwise, you could talk location for years without end.

See, I am imagining the AW Con being held every 2 years at various locations. Like the first year, we shoot for something in the middle-ish, and then move north, south, east, west in some sort of rotation. We could even take it international.

And the reason I said every two years is that it gives people a chance to plan and save money, and gives the "committee" people a chance to plan and make great early reservations.

And I still say some pretty lodge in Arkansas in the Ozarks. Or Indiana. You could all come to Evansville. It's close to me. ;)

TsukiRyoko
03-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Considering the nighttime population of AW, Mac wouldn't get any sleep and if she did, she'd be scared to leave her fine silverware unguarded...
I wonder how sharp her kitchen knives are....

TsukiRyoko
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
I just thought of something- would anyone feel it inappropriate if I kept my hair the way it is (rainbow colors)? Or should I dye it a normal color?

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Every two years works. That's why I said 'semi-yearly,' because I shudder to imagine trying to plan this thing...every...single...year.

And if it's a regular event that sort of travels the country (The AbsoluteWrite WaterCooler Gypsy Caravan of Courage!) then it makes location less of a major problem. For example, if it's held in the nether regions of Florida and I can't make it in 2008, then it's not the end of the world because I'll just wait until 2010 when it's held in Minneapolis (or something, for example.)

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I just thought of something- would anyone feel it inappropriate if I kept my hair the way it is (rainbow colors)? Or should I dye it a normal color?

I think you can probably get away being multi-colored. It's not like you'll dye your hair normal-colors and everyone will suddenly go "Oh, that Tsuki, she is so normal, I am willing to leave children in her vicinity!"

;)

TsukiRyoko
03-12-2007, 07:48 PM
I think you can probably get away being multi-colored. It's not like you'll dye your hair normal-colors and everyone will suddenly go "Oh, that Tsuki, she is so normal, I am willing to leave children in her vicinity!"

;)
:roll: Even if I did look somewhat normal, I doubt the illusion would last very long. "Let's leave our children next to her- oh my god, she just blew up the table, and now she's scaling the walls!"

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
....you know, on second thought, maybe I'm going to just skip this convention and get some writing done.

Can we actually call it the AW Caravan of Courage? That's the greatest convention name ever.

TsukiRyoko
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
....you know, on second thought, maybe I'm going to just skip this convention and get some writing done. Nonsense- I'll chase you down and drag you there. :D

Can we actually call it the AW Caravan of Courage? That's the greatest convention name ever. That is an awesome convention name. I say we do it.

tjwriter
03-12-2007, 08:02 PM
That would be like total blasphemy for you to name the convention and then not show up.

I'd have to flog you with wet noodles for that one.

TsukiRyoko
03-12-2007, 08:04 PM
That would be like total blasphemy for you to name the convention and then not show up.

I'd have to flog you with wet noodles for that one.
*big nod* I agree. We'll have to chain him down and force him to go.

Pagey's_Girl
03-12-2007, 08:14 PM

Or there's always the real Woodstock - with the added bonus that I would get to go shopping at the bead store there...:)

I like the outdoors, but given a choice, I'd prefer someplace where the bathroom isn't over yonder behind the far tree...

EngineerTiger
03-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Try Indianapolis. It is the "crossroads of America". Central like Chicago, but a bit cheaper and pleasanter for conferences. Most major and mid-tier airlines come in here too (Southwest and Airtran for those on budgets).

PeeDee
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Indianapolis would be fine by me. That's not too far to go, from St. Cloud.

Cassiopeia
03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone...this is getting exciting..the more people saying yes the cheaper it is going to be. As already mentioned this is going to be a writing retreat. I will keep this poll going for another few weeks to get a proper sampling of how many will attend and then I can start checking for fairs and accommodations. Bear in mind I will do the best I can on location but in the end it will come down to economics.

In a couple weeks I will be starting another poll concerning eating arrangments. For those of you who have already voted please send me a PM with your location. Not your address but I need your departure city so I can make a list for the travel arrangements to get a better idea of travel cost.

As for those concerned with costs...I will be working on away to raise money to help lower costs and hopefully pay for guest speakers and such. So don't get discouraged or rule this out just yet. :)

johnzakour
03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
You know, I have a really big basement. Of course I'd have to move the ping pong table and the fooseball table and the pool table but it could be arranged. :)

I'd probably have to let my wife know too. Of course if she didn't mind me saying, "Oh, I invited my bikini model friend to come hang with us for a few days..." She surely won't mind me saying, "oh, a bunch of writers are coming..." She just hates surprises.

CatSlave
03-12-2007, 09:10 PM

(okay, this will be fun after all)
Let's not forget Joaquin Phoenix.

jodiodi
03-13-2007, 12:08 AM

Or Orlando Bloom.

paprikapink
03-13-2007, 12:37 AM
After Cas has compiled all these great suggestions for locations (and they all sound great, makes me want to take many, many vacations in a row) and run numbers and meditated and consulted her ouija board and the board of accountancy and all that, I'm hoping we can try to stick with responses along the lines of "Okay!" or "Dang, I can't do it this year; I'll try for next time" instead of a lot of "That lousy place? Why'd you chose that? I told you I don't like humidity/altitude/cities/rivers/walls/trains/writers/your-objection-here."

Whaddayathink?

TsukiRyoko
03-13-2007, 12:40 AM
Indianapolis would be fine by me. That's not too far to go, from St. Cloud.
To be honest, I'll go anywhere I got to go to be there. I'm saving part of every paycheck I get, so money and location aren't really a problem.

Lilybiz
03-13-2007, 01:48 AM
After Cas has compiled all these great suggestions for locations (and they all sound great, makes me want to take many, many vacations in a row) and run numbers and meditated and consulted her ouija board and the board of accountancy and all that, I'm hoping we can try to stick with responses along the lines of "Okay!" or "Dang, I can't do it this year; I'll try for next time" instead of a lot of "That lousy place? Why'd you chose that? I told you I don't like humidity/altitude/cities/rivers/walls/trains/writers/your-objection-here."

Whaddayathink?

I'm with you, Paprika. If/when this thing happens, it'll be a first try, and it'll be the best first try ever.

engmajor2005
03-13-2007, 02:57 AM
Location: New York. That's where most of the publishing houses and agencies are; maybe we could invite some guests, maybe hold a mini-conference?

Date: Summer. Most people vacation during this time of the year anyway.

Duration: A week. That would make the travel time worth it.

Workshops: Any and all; writing dialogue, writing descriptions, writing words.

Activities: Longhand, Typewriter, or Computer Bull Session. Afternoon tea and coffee break every day. Book sale.

Travel: I would prefer to have travel included in my fee, preferably by bus or plane. I don't have a driver's license you see, and it would be difficult for me to arrange transportation up to and after a certain degree.

Food: Lots of vegetarian fare; lots of Italian, Hispanic, and Asian dishes, and lots of French, British, and Irish pastries.

Accomadations: Bed, running water, and electricity. Preferably no naughty stains or insects. Co-ed rooming not only just dandy, but preferable.

engmajor2005
03-13-2007, 03:04 AM

Or Bryce Dallas Howard for that matter. Don't know who I'm talking about? Shame on you.

kristie911
03-13-2007, 05:46 AM
If you held it somewhere I can drive to, I'll do my best to attend. If I had to fly, you'd have to count me out. I don't fly...sorry guys but even you all aren't worth it. :) Indianapolis would be perfect...I can drive there in just a few hours.

san_remo_ave
03-13-2007, 06:17 AM
If you guys want Woodstock-like, then here's your place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnaroo_Music_Festival

Every June. Camping or RVing. Not sure how much WRITING we'd all get done, but it'd be the heck of a time, huh? :D

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Okay, I went ahead and figured it out.

If each member out of the 13,918 members of AW donate fifty bucks, then we'll have a pool of $695,900.00

With this money, we could Buy A Yacht (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatTranslatedFullDetails.jsp?boat_id=1487960&checked_boats=1487960&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=61709&url=) which should serve our purposes fine, since it's so damn pretty. (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/photoGallery.jsp?currency=USD&back=%2Fcore%2Flisting%2Fcache%2FsearchResults.jsp %3FtoPrice%3D695%2C900%26sm%3D3%26cit%3Dtrue%26cur rencyid%3D100%26luom%3D126%26slim%3Dquick&units=Feet&checked_boats=1487960&currencyid=100&boat_id=1487960&back=/core/listing/boatDetails.jsp&boat_id=1487960)

That leaves us, after buying the boat, $78,508 which is more than enough to stock the boat with tea, and some food, and maybe to hire a mercenary, because that's just cool.

We could probably have the boat waiting for us in the harbors of Puerto Rico by summer, 2008.

There. Don't say I didn't do anything for you. Let me know when I should contact them.

JeanneTGC
03-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Chiming in...I know it's been discussed, but I vote for Vegas. It's got flights in and out from all cities, in the summer it will be hot (like Phoenix) and so the rooms will be more inexpensive and likely to have availability, if we end up with enough people there are a variety of different sized convention centers/areas, it's a 24/7 city - meaning that those of us who routinely stay up into the wee hours can still get food drink and companionship (of whatever kind, you know, what happens in...blah blah), and it has the best run cab system in the country, meaning that those flying in wouldn't have to rent cars.

Me, I'll probably go wherever it's held, but if we're voting, I vote for Vegas.

Cassiopeia
03-13-2007, 09:01 AM

If each member out of the 13,918 members of AW donate fifty bucks, then we'll have a pool of $695,900.00

With this money, we could Buy A Yacht (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatTranslatedFullDetails.jsp?boat_id=1487960&checked_boats=1487960&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=61709&url=) which should serve our purposes fine, since it's so damn pretty. (http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/photoGallery.jsp?currency=USD&back=%2Fcore%2Flisting%2Fcache%2FsearchResults.jsp %3FtoPrice%3D695%2C900%26sm%3D3%26cit%3Dtrue%26cur rencyid%3D100%26luom%3D126%26slim%3Dquick&units=Feet&checked_boats=1487960&currencyid=100&boat_id=1487960&back=/core/listing/boatDetails.jsp&boat_id=1487960)

That leaves us, after buying the boat, $78,508 which is more than enough to stock the boat with tea, and some food, and maybe to hire a mercenary, because that's just cool.

We could probably have the boat waiting for us in the harbors of Puerto Rico by summer, 2008.

There. Don't say I didn't do anything for you. Let me know when I should contact them.Um..wow ..i tell you what wow! Thanks PeeDee. :)

johnzakour
03-13-2007, 03:29 PM

I don't think this means what you thought it means.... ;-)

That's okay, ever since this thread started up I've been wanting to say, "AW retreat? Why are we under attack?"

Sorry couldn't resist.

Actually, I've always prefered "Run Away!!" to retreat.

I think we should "RunAway" to Vegas, because well it's Vegas. I mean, come on, it's a city that's inspiration for both a TV show and a song. It's the place where Homer Simpson and Ned Flanders each got married -- again. I rest my case. (Oh, there are also like thousands of hotel roooms, cheap food and lots of air flights...)

aruna
03-13-2007, 04:45 PM
I think we should "RunAway" to Vegas, because well it's Vegas. I mean, come on, it's a city that's inspiration for both a TV show and a song. It's the place where Homer Simpson and Ned Flanders each got married -- again. I rest my case. (Oh, there are also like thousands of hotel roooms, cheap food and lots of air flights...)

I sooooo don't want to go to Vegas. All the way across the Atlantic, only to end up in Vegas, the very last piece of America I want to see.... sigh. But don't mind me.

TsukiRyoko
03-13-2007, 04:46 PM

There. Don't say I didn't do anything for you. Let me know when I should contact them.
No worries about the mercenary- I'll volunteer. Not if we're talking missionary, that ain't my thing at all. :D

If we do happen to buy a yacht with the potential donations, would we still be able to use some for travelling purposes for the AWers who might have a problem affording travel (I'm mathmatically retarded and can't figure out money for the life of me)?

TsukiRyoko
03-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Do we have any plans on how to set up donations? I think we should ask to have a thread put up (sticky, of course) on each division of the forums, so everyone will be able to see it. Also, would it be a good idea to post the link to this thread in a few volunteers' signatures? We'll get more people, and more money for the event, that way.

tjwriter
03-13-2007, 05:40 PM
I did some math, too, Pete.

Actually I did a member search on those who have posted in the last six months and have at least a 100 posts. It returned 884 members.

So I figure, if we a 20% turnout of people from that search, it is about 175 people. So, um, yeah, you peeps need to get to answering that poll.

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Do we have any plans on how to set up donations? I think we should ask to have a thread put up (sticky, of course) on each division of the forums, so everyone will be able to see it. Also, would it be a good idea to post the link to this thread in a few volunteers' signatures? We'll get more people, and more money for the event, that way.

We don't have to hugely worry about the donations yet, not until we've figured out who's coming and Casi has laid down the final law on Where We're Going. THEN we can start horking for money.

TsukiRyoko
03-13-2007, 07:49 PM
We don't have to hugely worry about the donations yet, not until we've figured out who's coming and Casi has laid down the final law on Where We're Going. THEN we can start horking for money.
In order for this thing to get off the ground at all, we have to advertise it as much as we can. I know a lot of posters who religiously stay in only a few forums. While we have many active members, a good handful don't stray from certain parts of the forum. We gotta get the know out. :D

AllyWoof
03-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Something like that sounds cool. I wish more of you lived near me, though.

Cassiopeia
03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
We are doing really well so far...we already have 33 yes votes. I want a good sampling before I contact people for locations. Once I have a pretty good idea of where we are going to have this we can then move to getting the word out there. For now...trust me on this. It is a step by step process. :)

I know it is hard to wait on a decision as to where we will go so I will let you know a couple things...roughing it is out. So no camping. Also I have already said the deep south and extreme heat is out. I am not going to have us go to typical touristy places because anyone can do that.

Remember my sweets...this is a working retreat. If you want to be thinking about what that means, think about the things you struggle with. We are going to be looking to the most common of things we all struggle with and have guest speakers and workshops on those things. Write them down. Keep them safe...that will be another thread in the upcoming months. We have 15 months. It will work out :)

AllyWoof
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
OKay I am moving out of Georgia.

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Casi, do we have a minimum number of people needed for this sort of thing to work...?

johnzakour
03-13-2007, 09:27 PM
I know it is hard to wait on a decision as to where we will go so I will let you know a couple things...roughing it is out. So no camping. Also I have already said the deep south and extreme heat is out. I am not going to have us go to typical touristy places because anyone can do that.

Yes, no camping...

Remember my sweets...this is a working retreat. If you want to be thinking about what that means, think about the things you struggle with.

Oh, man, I thought it would be social. I get enough working when I'm working... Not sure if I want to work when I retreat. I retreat to retreat from work. Hence the retreat...

tjwriter
03-13-2007, 09:35 PM
I do think we need to balance the working with the fun. Listening, learning, and doing some fun writing activities.

The main thing is that most of us will be meeting each other for the first time. There is going to be a strong desire and need to be social.

I know that I don't want to be worked to death either. I want to learn some, work some, and have lots of fun. I haven't had a vacation in something like 6 years, so I'll need it.

Cassiopeia
03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Guys Guys...would ya trust me? :D Goodness...of course we are going to have fun as well. I just want you to realize we are going to be doing this for a reason and having a bit of a holiday after each day of activities will be fun and refreshing and definately different than your routine.

PeeDee...I just spoke with one local resort to get an idea of how these things are done. The man was very helpful even though I told him I could not say where we are going to end up. I phoned the Sundance Ski Resort just a half hour from my home. Ragcat's family owns Alta Ski Resort here in Utah as well and is offering to help us get a special rate but I haven't gone to them yet.

I contacted Sundance because I am familiar with it and they run all kinds of retreats from there year round. So I thought to sneak a bit of help from them and it worked out well.

The suggestion he made to me was in considering any place for a retreat the best thing to do first is to find when their off season was. Rates are more affordable then. For example during July next year, Sundance charges between 200 and 230 for a room similar to a hotel room. But...in April it starts at 99 dollars for groups. I said well that is most likely too much anyway and he said..BUT you at least know that you should look for off peak times. July would be a killer.

He also suggested we consider sharing rooms. Not beds but rooms. I said to him..yes I know BUT we are an online writer's group and he thought we were pretty cool to be doing this...and when he hesitated I thought oh yeah...you think we are scary. :D

Anyway, he did make me think we might want to rethink our time to next april or he said november.

Sundance, while one of the most beautiful of places to do this...is most likely out of the question. It is nestled at the bottom of a glacier Mt. Timpanogos and has hiking and horseback riding...fly fishing and lots other things to do in the summer and fall...winter of course is skiing...and they have marvelous convention centers but when he said 1500 a day for catered food I laughed and said ..."yeah...no...we won't be coming there but THANKS so much for your help"

So what do you guys think? Is he right? Should we aim for off season?

PS...and NO I am not planning for Utah...just in case any of you freak out...BUT if it works out cheapest ..I won't say no to it...I am going to contact places in Nebraska and Oklahoma and Denver as well...I even see one in Montana that is already a place for writer's retreats

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Here's how I thought the working retreat idea would work.

On the first day, ideally, when everyone arrives and gets their name tag (with their real name and screen name on it, making us the most neurotic bunch ever) they will spent the first day deciding on a word count, and the word counts will be announced at dinner.

Each person will pick a word count -- the number of words is entirely up to them -- as an ultimate goal for the whole weekend. Whether it's an easy 500, or it's a mean 20,000, each person picks the word limit. And then, over the course of this extended-weekend, you have to hit your wordcount.

You can work on your WIP, you can write a short story entirely while you're there (probably what I'd do) you can write several short stories adding up to the amount, whatever you want. Just pick a word count by the end of the first day, and hit it by the end of the last day.

When you do that is up to you. I think we'd have a couple of hours (you know, or something) in the afternoon with no events or coloring activities scheduled, and you could use it to socialize and sit around if you want (which we'll probably do plenty of anyway) or you cna use it to go off and write.

Or you can work like I work, start at eleven at night and work until four in the morning. Up to you. :)

But that's how I see this working.

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 10:00 PM
I do agree, Casi, that it should be the off-season. I think April and November, both the months you mentioned, are pretty decent months. Toward the end of November, I bet flights will start to get a little more pricey as they gear up toward the holiday season.

I'd say April. The weather won't be cold and icy (just muddy and slushy, in a lot of places) and we'll be heading toward summer months, not away from them. And even if it's April, sooner than July, it's still over a year away from now, which is a fair bit of time to prepare for this.

AllyWoof
03-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I do agree, Casi, that it should be the off-season. I think April and November, both the months you mentioned, are pretty decent months. Toward the end of November, I bet flights will start to get a little more pricey as they gear up toward the holiday season.

I'd say April. The weather won't be cold and icy (just muddy and slushy, in a lot of places) and we'll be heading toward summer months, not away from them. And even if it's April, sooner than July, it's still over a year away from now, which is a fair bit of time to prepare for this. wonders if someone would pay for her to come.

Cassiopeia
03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
For structure...here is what I thought we might do...

Morning:
Breakfast
Stretching exercises
Workshop:45 minutes

MidMorning Break
45 minutes
Work on WIP 2 hours

Lunch
Critic morning workshop exercises
Discussion
Physical Activity

Dinner
Guest speaker before desert
Social hour

Okay so that is ROUGH...I also think that where ever we are...we should have some time for site seeing. Either individually or as groups.

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I think site-seeing may work its way in a bit naturally. For example, for physical activity, I don't know what you intended, but if it goes longer and twenty minutes of it, then I would happily go for a walk (or a jog) outside.

johnzakour
03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
On the first day, ideally, when everyone arrives and gets their name tag (with their real name and screen name on it, making us the most neurotic bunch ever) they will spent the first day deciding on a word count, and the word counts will be announced at dinner.

Each person will pick a word count -- the number of words is entirely up to them -- as an ultimate goal for the whole weekend. Whether it's an easy 500, or it's a mean 20,000, each person picks the word limit. And then, over the course of this extended-weekend, you have to hit your wordcount.

Okay I pick 800. This way I can do a short story for Nature (the magazine, not nature itself, cause that would just be weird.)

Okay, that's not so bad. Can I go out and play now?

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 10:23 PM
No. You can help me with my 20,000 words. :D

PattiTheWicked
03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Once we get things finalized as far as a potential location and time frame, it might not be a bad idea to set up a ride share/room share board. People may be willing to carpool or bunk with other folks in order to save on costs. I think some of us are comfortable enough with each other that it wouldn't be a huge big deal to share transpo or rooms.

johnzakour
03-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Once we get things finalized as far as a potential location and time frame, it might not be a bad idea to set up a ride share/room share board. People may be willing to carpool or bunk with other folks in order to save on costs. I think some of us are comfortable enough with each other that it wouldn't be a huge big deal to share transpo or rooms.

If it's at the right time I'd bring my wife and son. I don't think anybody wants to share with the 3 of us....

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 10:47 PM
I am willing to bunk with any of the ladies on AW.

(I'm kidding! I'm kidding!)

AllyWoof
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM

(I'm kidding! I'm kidding!) Damn! I was so hoping you would pay for me to come out and bunk with you. You sexy man!

johnzakour
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM

(I'm kidding! I'm kidding!)

Oh, good I was just getting ready to forward you reply to your wife. The one with the real job....

AllyWoof
03-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Oh, good I was just getting ready to forward you reply to your wife. The one with the real job.... Tattle Taile!

Annie O
03-13-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm interested but it does depend on a lot of things - mainly my health. I'd love a beautiful setting; if my husband and I come all the way from England it has to be to a picturesque spot so we can enjoy a longer trip. I'd prefer a lot of notice so I can gather my pennies. Anyway, I've voted, but things may change if my health declines.

Cassiopeia
03-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I think site-seeing may work its way in a bit naturally. For example, for physical activity, I don't know what you intended, but if it goes longer and twenty minutes of it, then I would happily go for a walk (or a jog) outside.I think the walk or jog is more of what I mean when I say physical activity. We need to make sure we all keep ourselves refreshed and all that. If we have it somewhere pleasant a walk would be all we need as long as we don't just stand around after sitting for long periods because that isn't good for the circulation either.

I am also thinking that by 3 in the afternoon we should be finished and break for the day until we gather again for dinner and the guest speakers.

I am also being asked how many days. So...I am going to do that poll next week. I just wanted to speak to a few places to start getting an idea what cost we are looking at for room and board. It seems that many places include breakfast in the deal so that is a bonus.

Will keep in touch.

And I think April is actually the BEST time. :)

Cassiopeia
03-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm interested but it does depend on a lot of things - mainly my health. I'd love a beautiful setting; if my husband and I come all the way from England it has to be to a picturesque spot so we can enjoy a longer trip. I'd prefer a lot of notice so I can gather my pennies. Anyway, I've voted, but things may change if my health declines.

It is my feeling that we should have a beautiful setting not far from a city of interest if possible. That way the costs are like that of the city but close enough for convienence. I really hope you can come. Some of the places already sent to me in PM's are stunning. It is going to be hard to pick.

Cassiopeia
03-13-2007, 10:54 PM

(I'm kidding! I'm kidding!)But Cupcake *dismay* your promised! :D

Annie O
03-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Some of the places already sent to me in PM's are stunning. It is going to be hard to pick.

I know, I was just checking out the websites and some are really beautiful!

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 10:57 PM
But Cupcake *dismay* your promised! :D

THus making you the only person in the history of the world outside of prison to call me cupcake....

ETA: As for how many days, I was thinking four days, three nights. Much longer could get really exhausting, much less would mean you get there, settle in, and then have to get ready to leave.

Annie O
03-13-2007, 11:00 PM
THus making you the only person in the history of the world outside of prison to call me cupcake....

I'm definitely not sharing with PeeDee! :scared:

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Come on! I've been out for six weeks this time! I'm good!

Annie O
03-13-2007, 11:04 PM
LOL!

TsukiRyoko
03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd be more than willing to bunk up with other people. It would help save on costs, and I'd have someone to bug all night. :D

jodiodi
03-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Too bad the South is out. The Jekyll Island Club hotel in Georgia is full of atmosphere and would be a great place. I used to go there at least once a year and spend a week (until I got married), just sitting on the Veranda in big wicker rocking chairs, drinking strawberry coladas and reading delightfully trashy books. I also did some writing at their beach cabana and in one of the 'drawing rooms'. And it's really pleasant in March and April--ocean breezes, not too hot yet.

Annie O
03-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Too bad the South is out. The Jekyll Island Club hotel in Georgia is full of atmosphere and would be a great place. I used to go there at least once a year and spend a week (until I got married), just sitting on the Veranda in big wicker rocking chairs, drinking strawberry coladas and reading delightfully trashy books. I also did some writing at their beach cabana and in one of the 'drawing rooms'. And it's really pleasant in March and April--ocean breezes, not too hot yet.

Now that does sound nice! Hmm!

tjwriter
03-13-2007, 11:24 PM
That is another thing. We are all supposed to PM Cassie with our location (the one we would fly out of), which I forgot to do (so I will after this), but in, say, April or some other spring type of month, it won't be so hot anywhere yet. That does open up options depending where the nexus of our group is. So, in theory, that is important.

Anonymisty
03-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Too bad the South is out.

It's out? I know I said Myrtle Beach in July would be terrible, but Jekyll Island is soooo much nicer!

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 11:49 PM
I know I'd happily go somewhere by the ocean. I haven't lived near the ocean in too many years, and I find myself missing it more and more every day.

But I think it's less the weather and more the practicality of flight.

I forgot to PM Casi too. I guess I shall do so.

AllyWoof
03-13-2007, 11:52 PM
I guess I should be happy I don't have money to do this. Now no one can make fun of me.

Southern_girl29
03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
If you guys want Woodstock-like, then here's your place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnaroo_Music_Festival

Every June. Camping or RVing. Not sure how much WRITING we'd all get done, but it'd be the heck of a time, huh? :D

It really is Woodstock-like, but I wouldn't recommend it. LOL Traffic is terrible, and Manchester doesn't really have a whole lot to offer for tourists at all.

On the other hand, though, it isn't too far from the University of the South at Sewanee, which has an awesome writing conference every year.

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Pshaw. I go with the fullest intent of being openly mocked for four days straight (and probably poked by Tsuki for three nights with questions like "How long do bodies take to decompose? Do cockroaches communicate telepathically? Why do you have to take the lime seeds out before soaking a body?")

AllyWoof
03-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Pshaw. I go with the fullest intent of being openly mocked for four days straight (and probably poked by Tsuki for three nights with questions like "How long do bodies take to decompose? Do cockroaches communicate telepathically? Why do you have to take the lime seeds out before soaking a body?") I think after one night I would get tossed to the bears, or whatever happens to be there.

PeeDee
03-13-2007, 11:58 PM
If we have bears, I think we've chosen a very bad location indeed.

I vote for bear-free locations, please.

TsukiRyoko
Pshaw. I go with the fullest intent of being openly mocked for four days straight (and probably poked by Tsuki for three nights with questions like "How long do bodies take to decompose? Do cockroaches communicate telepathically? Why do you have to take the lime seeds out before soaking a body?")
"Hey Pete, will you take me home with you? Hey Pete, can I bum a dollar? Hey Pete, do apple seeds really contain cyanide? Hey Pete, how do you get the cyanide out of the seed?"

I'm with you there. I don't give a damn who makes fun of me- I'm going regardless.

Annie O
It's out? I know I said Myrtle Beach in July would be terrible, but Jekyll Island is soooo much nicer!

I just checked out the Jekyll Island Club Hotel and it is stunning! I like very much!

AllyWoof
03-14-2007, 12:01 AM
If we have bears, I think we've chosen a very bad location indeed.

I vote for bear-free locations, please. What if I brought my best friend Scott? His nick name is cuddlebear.

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 12:15 AM
The guy in prison who used to call me "cupcake," was called cuddlebear.

Cassiopeia
03-14-2007, 12:21 AM
my internet is having issues today..don't think I have forgotten you if I disappear.

kdnxdr
03-14-2007, 12:21 AM
http://www.arlingtonhotel.com/

Until we settle on a location, doesn't hurt to keep making suggestions!

AllyWoof
03-14-2007, 12:24 AM
The guy in prison who used to call me "cupcake," was called cuddlebear.
You aren't either in or from Canada, or Maine are you? How about the other guy?

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 12:28 AM
You aren't either in or from Canada, or Maine are you? How about the other guy?

I lived in Maine, but I'm not from there.

And I AM joking, folks. I haven't been to prison. No one calls me cupcake (except, apparently, Casi) and I don't know anyone named cuddlebear. Honest.

AllyWoof
03-14-2007, 12:30 AM
My heart can start beating again.

johnzakour
03-14-2007, 12:40 AM
I lived in Maine, but I'm not from there.

And I AM joking, folks. I haven't been to prison. No one calls me cupcake (except, apparently, Casi) and I don't know anyone named cuddlebear. Honest.

Yeah, yeah. That's what they all say. I can believe the not being from Maine thing, but the prison... Hmmm....

My thinks thou protests too much. ;-)

How about Maine? We could have lobster?

AllyWoof
03-14-2007, 12:42 AM
If you went there, and for some odd reason I did come, Scott would be there. He thinks he is my shadow, and I've never even met the guy!

MacAllister
03-14-2007, 12:48 AM
So, for practicality's sake, I'll be at WorldCon in Denver in 2008. Denver also has a major hub--and you can be there from anywhere in the US in something like four hours.

I'm happy to make calls and provide information, for the purposes of booking a block of rooms and such, btw. :) We've talked about this a handful of times over the years. I'd really, really like to see it happen.

MDavis
03-14-2007, 12:49 AM

:roll: Just :roll:

AllyWoof
03-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Can I bring Squirtle and Missy?

Lilybiz
03-14-2007, 12:53 AM
I vote for off-season.

And since we're talking off-season, I think we can consider the south again. New Orleans isn't the only town that got hit.

MDavis
03-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Very true, I'm sure there are many other lovely southern towns along the gulf coast with resorts just begging for a convention to swing by--even if it's a convention of writers (translation "poor") and not a convention of investment bankers.

I vote April!

Cassiopeia
03-14-2007, 01:03 AM
I vote for off-season.

And since we're talking off-season, I think we can consider the south again. New Orleans isn't the only town that got hit. Guys...I will let you know when I have found a place that is affordable and amienable to a pleasant setting.

If you just want a holiday and a meet ...as in a forum meet someone can plan that. While we are going to have some fun time...this is for us to have the opportunity to hear from guest speakers and to have workshops that will give us help in breaking through our issues.

So as for location.. TRUUUSSSSSSSSSTTT in me...*does the whole Jungle Book snake thingy with the bizarre twirly eyes*

Okay someone find that image LOL

MacAllister
03-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Sounds good, Casi. :) Let me know if I can be of any help in any way.

Cassiopeia
03-14-2007, 01:13 AM
http://www.arlingtonhotel.com/

Until we settle on a location, doesn't hurt to keep making suggestions!
Of course it doesn't hurt to make suggestion. I just hope everyone will be open to the fact, that not everyone can have what they want. The point is to have the writer's workshop retreat actually take place right? :D

I would love to insist that we all go to my favorite location and that is Cape Town South Africa but ..yeah...that ..Just ..aint...gonna ...happen :D

And just so you all know...I ain't afraid to say no. :D

Unless something convinces me otherwise...the deep south is still out :D

Okay go ahead start hating me now :) But I promise..we are still gonna have fun no matter where it is :P

Provided of course we get PeeDee to do a stand up bit in his boxers...Oh wait..maybe not without clothes ;)

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Wasn't the snake with the twirly eyes actually in Robin Hood, also by Disney, and not The Jungle Book? Or have I completely missed my mark?

Anyway, I trust you. Pick where you want to hold it, and that's good enough for me.

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Provided of course we get PeeDee to do a stand up bit in his boxers...Oh wait..maybe not without clothes ;)

Whoa....whoa....Hang on. This type of suggestion is best kept for day three, after an inadvisable number of drinks.

Cassiopeia
03-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Whoa....whoa....Hang on. This type of suggestion is best kept for day three, after an inadvisable number of drinks.
I said NOT without clothes silly...as in we want you cothed LOL

Cassiopeia
03-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Wasn't the snake with the twirly eyes actually in Robin Hood, also by Disney, and not The Jungle Book? Or have I completely missed my mark?

Anyway, I trust you. Pick where you want to hold it, and that's good enough for me.oh yeah ..the snake was actually in both if I am not mistaken...puts on her executive voice..PeeDee get me that image ;)

AllyWoof
03-14-2007, 01:27 AM
We do?

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 01:32 AM
oh yeah ..the snake was actually in both if I am not mistaken...puts on her executive voice..PeeDee get me that image ;)

http://www.animationcelection.com/images/sxyz03026.jpg

Cassiopeia
03-14-2007, 01:34 AM
http://www.animationcelection.com/images/sxyz03026.jpgNow that is what I call a response! PeeDee you know I am going to rope you into helping ALOT :) Btw...I am busying phoning suggested places as well as hunting a few more...so I am working on this people...just give me a week to really nail down something viable. I also have a friend in the travel agency business who I haven't not spoken to yet because I want to avoid paying for services I can do myself :P

Cassiopeia
03-14-2007, 01:50 AM
Okay out of those who said yes...I only have 14 responses for departure city. Send me those PM's you guys :)

TsukiRyoko
03-14-2007, 01:50 AM
Can I bring Squirtle and Missy?
Only if I get to play with them.

AllyWoof
03-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Only if I get to play with them. Sure. Be warned, though. Squirtle is an 80 pound lap dog.

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 01:57 AM
So am I, and it doesn't stop anyone.

Lilybiz
03-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Casi, as far as I'm concerned your word is gold. Thanks for doing the legwork. Or footwork. Or toework, whatever it is, thanks for doing it.

http://www.nobodyhere.com/justme/gfx/tenen4.jpg

Cassiopeia
03-14-2007, 02:01 AM
I know I am probably posting too much today but I am laid up so I am working on this exclusively today. While I am phoning across the country for prices on places to stay I need us now to shift our focus a bit. Don't mind me if I take us through one step at a time. I am following a guide for creating a successful retreat.

So...
Your NEW focus

Besides time away from home...what would you like to get out of this retreat? DANG IT ...I hate when I hit the enter key too soon...here are some things to think about...why there are advantages to doing a retreat:

Advantages of a Retreat:

-Eliminate daily distractions.
-Fosters informality (recreation)
-Creates shares experiences.
-Psychological impact – it is important enough to take time out to
do it!
-Maximizes participation.

AllyWoof
03-14-2007, 02:05 AM
By the way, who wants to be in charge of feeding my dogs?

Parkinsonsd
03-14-2007, 02:07 AM
By the way, who wants to be in charge of feeding my dogs?

Feeding them to whom?

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 02:15 AM
I have never had dog sushi before. But pony sushi is good, so I can always try....

AllyWoof
03-14-2007, 02:18 AM
Giving them dog food you morons.

PeeDee
03-14-2007, 02:18 AM
Your NEW focus

Besides time away from home...what would you like to get out of this retreat? DANG IT ...I hate when I hit the enter key too soon...here are some things to think about...why there are advantages to doing a retreat:

Advantages of a Retreat:

-Eliminate daily distractions.
-Fosters informality (recreation)
-Creates shares experiences.
-Psychological impact – it is important enough to take time out to
do it!
-Maximizes participation.

What I want out of the retreat?

- To meet the people I talk with.
- To spend four days where I am doing nothing but talking to writers, thinking about writing, and writing. I need more of that.
- Going somewhere that is Not Home, which is nice and non-distracting.
- Cheerfully ignoring my deadlines for four days.
- Get something interesting, or more than one thing written.

I don't know if that's accurate, though. I've got to think on it more.

Cassiopeia
03-14-2007, 03:02 AM
If anyone knows how fund raisers work...as in ...how do we handle the monies...legally and safely. Yes I USED two ..count them two -ly words...I would appreciate it if you send me a PM.

It would help if we could raise money to help defray some of the costs for everyone but particularly those who are coming from outside the US.