101 ways to cheat Death!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Houston

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I've been on the the wrong part of the Blog and Brian just put me right, here's what I posted over them there parts!

I'm just putting together a book of cartoons that can be seen in progression on my blog : www.myspace.com/101waystocheatdeath
I see that a lot of US Publishers won't accept submissions without an agent.
I'm sure my question has been answered somewhere on the forum and I'll take a look around. Can someone suggest an agent that may take this type of book?

Thanks

Bill Houston

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
By the way, I forgot to mention I have two books published in the UK by Harper Collins "Hackman a dog in a bucket" and "Love in buckets" both comic strip books. I'd love to have a crack at the US market though.

Last edited:

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Saw this and thought you might find it useful...

Mobile media company seeks newspaper strip comics for profit sharing venture, we position your strip on our site and take 1/3 of the sale. If your strip becomes popular we can present it to our channels for world wide distribution. Any genre, classic American comics style preferred. Only links will be viewed, attached files will be deleted. Contact Donald at [email protected]
• 03/10 • CONTACT: [email protected]

I make no recommendations as I have no knowledge of the guy, but thought it could be what you were looking for. I don't know strips. I tend to work a little more epic in scale, so hitting a puncline in somewhere between 1 and 4 panels, daily, isn't my forté.

Hope it's of use.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I make no recommendations as I have no knowledge of the guy, but thought it could be what you were looking for. I don't know strips. I tend to work a little more epic in scale, so hitting a puncline in somewhere between 1 and 4 panels, daily, isn't my forté.

Though Pete Abrams, of Sluggy Freelance fame, does it admirably. And he tells some powerful and non-comedic stories in there, too. He's damn good.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Strips are a whole different ball game. In theory the principles are the same, but you have a lot less space to either screw-up or excel. I can come up with something funny and/or strange for an image, like the "caption thread" in the Office Party section, but the people who manag eto tell a story or maintain an arc over a period of time really are masterful. Doonesbury is a great example. Whether you agree with his politics or not, there is no getting away from the fact that he is real pro and people trying to break in could do a lot worse than studying his daily strips.

I mean, DAILY!

And they are reflecting current events, so it's not like he can just sit down and plan it all out in advance the way you might with a regular comic-book (or for that matter, any piece of fiction writing). Obviously he DOES have some plots worked out ahead of time and he intercuts those with the more current plots, but still.

AND he writes AND draws.

Bill Houston

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the feedback guys. The 'Hackman' books are in strip form akin to 'Garfield' etc. I write and draw the strips and the first two volumes contain about 300 strips, yet to be syndicated in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.