How police deal with suicide cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash99

Hi.
I am planning to write a thriller script which begins with a predicted suicide. What I am wondering is how the Police deal with such cases. After the coroner has looked at the body and decided that it is a suicide is there still a court case about the death or do they just put sucided on the death certificate and that's it? is there any good sites for writers which describe how police go about their procedures?

Thanks for your time,
Ash.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
When my brother killed himself, there was no investigation once it was ruled suicide, but the actual suicide note found in his pocket was kept as evidence. We only got a photocopy. I have no idea why.

You could also call a local police station and ask them about procedures.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ash, I think it varies State to State, also depends on age, where the death occurred etc...
Usually there will be 2 autopsies if the person died at home--
And always Homicide takes over when a death is suicide--- just a bit of red tape formality

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.
I am planning to write a thriller script which begins with a predicted suicide. What I am wondering is how the Police deal with such cases. After the coroner has looked at the body and decided that it is a suicide is there still a court case about the death or do they just put sucided on the death certificate and that's it? is there any good sites for writers which describe how police go about their procedures?

Thanks for your time,
Ash.

Depends on the state laws. There is usually a cursory investigation, but if the cops have no reason to suspect foul play and the coroner concurs, there would be little fuss. They take photos and tissue samples and get on with the burial.

It's when a person is found dead with no obvious cause of death (like Anna NicoleSmith) that you get autopsies, toxicology tests and the like.

Ash99

Thanks for the help guys. I found some information about the coroners office and as far as I can tell if a case looks like a suicide and not foul play that it goes no further then an inquest. Only if it looks like a possible murder does the case go to court.

Again thanks for your help. I should hopefully be on the right track now!

Status
Not open for further replies.