Letters to my Mother

LawrenceElliott

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LawrenceElliott.com
I was searching on Amazon on Thursday night and saw that Letters to my Mother was showing as "In Stock" with 2 copies available. I was shocked (joyfully)! I also spoke with Barb to confirm the book was indeed complete. The publisher must have released copies to Amazon early because every book store within 50 miles (yes I checked!) told me they won't be getting copies until April. She should be sending out notifications to contributors tonight. I was so excited and I was floating on air the rest of the day! I ordered a copy from Amazon and should get it by March 17th! I'm sure I'll be counting the hours! I kept this a secret from my mother for a year and I can't wait to present her with her copy. Especially with the year she has had, health wise.

Related to this, I have to say my experience with Barb and with Brian Thornton on Teacher Miracles has been wonderful! And Barb is truly an amazing and strong woman! I learned a lot from both of them and they made the process of waiting not as bad as it could have been. With all of the horror stories people share about editors, I was truly blessed on these projects.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Yay! I just got a congrats email from Barb and Rick! My letter was chosen for inclusion for publication in the book! They said they apologize for the delay, etc. Wonderful email they wrote.

I hope all of you get congrats emails too! (They said the publisher(Adams) decided to add more letters to the book.

YAY!!! :snoopy:

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Just received the complimentary copy of the anthology today.

You've got me all atwitter. I can't wait to read your letter. Your mother's name is beautiful; I've never heard it before. Now I can't remember what I titled my story--I'll have to go look it up. It's about a girdle shopping expedition. Congratulations again!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You've got me all atwitter. I can't wait to read your letter. Your mother's name is beautiful; I've never heard it before. Now I can't remember what I titled my story--I'll have to go look it up. It's about a girdle shopping expedition. Congratulations again!
Ha! A girdle shopping expedition. Love it! I've got to look it up.

(ETA: I just found your story "Firm Foundations." I'm already laughing and I'm only on the second paragraph!)

My mother's name was Italian. She changed it to Frances when she was in elementary school in New Jersey, in order to fit in. My working title was different. They changed it to "Fanesia." Her given name was beautiful, though.

The book really is well-done. Adams Media does the Cup of Comfort anthologies, too.

Last edited:

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my contributor's copy in the mail! It looks AWESOME.

My mom was the first person to read it. She got all teary eyed. :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The title of mine is "Fanesia"
Amy's is "Firm Foundations" (a hoot!)

I haven't looked up Lee's yet, or yours, Lawrence, because right after I got the book, read my story and Amy's, my husband "borrowed" it to show his family and coworkers. It'll probably be dog-eared by the time I get it back!

LawrenceElliott

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LawrenceElliott.com
Yes Stormie, she now has her copy. On Saturday, my wife and I took her, my 82-year old grandmother (her mother), my 2 sisters, 4 nephews, and niece out to breakfast in San Diego. Although I don't live there now, that is where I was born and raised. I have only seen my mother cry a handful of times in the past 30 years. She totally broke down, which made it difficult for me to read the story to her. However, I did get through it. It was the biggest thrill in my life to do it for her. I came close to telling her throughout the year, but I kept saying my prayers that things would work out for me to present her with the book and they did! I think everyone in the book should feel proud we were able to pay tribute to our mothers. They need to hear this from us before they are no longer with us!

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Anne--I read your story and I just wanted to tell you how much it touched my heart. What a wonderful tribute to your mom. And your writing is spot-on. You've got a beautiful talent.

Lawrence & Lee--I'm having the same trouble as Stormie. My husband keeps thinking he gets a turn to read the book! As soon as I snag it back, I'm gonna check you out. Congratulations again to all. This project was a special one.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have only seen my mother cry a handful of times in the past 30 years. She totally broke down, which made it difficult for me to read the story to her. However, I did get through it. It was the biggest thrill in my life to do it for her. I came close to telling her throughout the year, but I kept saying my prayers that things would work out for me to present her with the book and they did!
I'm so glad your mother got to hear you read the story to her. I did finally get my copy back yesterday, and read your story "Thank God for the Sandwiches." It made me cry! She is one strong, brave lady, and you seem like you are such a wonderful son. Your writing is beautiful.

Lee, what is the title of your story? I can't find a "Lee" as an author.

LawrenceElliott

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LawrenceElliott.com
Lee_OC, I don't know which one you wrote. Please let me know.

AmyDoodle, I found your story "Firm Foundations" very amusing. It was another great one among great ones! Of course, I think this project was absolutely wonderful! I really believe this will be something we will all proudly display on our mantle no matter what we go on to write.

Stormie, thank you for your kind words. I actually read your story several times. Not only did the admiration for your mother pour out with every word, but your vivid writing reminded me of when I sat prayerfully at the bedside of a loved one. I think that is what is so powerful about these letters. They really share a piece of our lives and our hearts as we tell the most important person in our lives how much they have meant to us. By the, Barb changed my title, too. In my case, I thought her choice was PERFECT! Your mom's name is so beautiful, so I think that was a great choice, too. What do you think?

Please let me know if I missed anyone. I think this is a great way to get to know everyone, wouldn't you agree?

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on pg. 27. I write under 2 pen names w/ "Lee."

My mom cried when she read it a second time. The book is really well-done, and I'm proud to be in great company.