Where have all the agents gone?

fredfuller

Registered
Reaction score
I know if I spend two or three days searching Absolute's forums, I'll find a thread to deal with what I'm asking. But, I am lazy.

I have my first novel to my editor right now, and we hope to have a mss by late spring. Next, I need an agent, and I'm extremely ignorant about this phase of publishing. Does anyone in AbsoluteWrite land know of any agents who are taking new writers? I want a legitimate one, of course. To your knowledge, does this kind of person exist, and where does a old guy like me find one? (I thought about making my cat, Millie, my agent, but she bites. Not sure that's good.)

My novel: For the Heart's Treasure

http://www.millicentandme.com

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Sorry, dude, ya gotta start somewhere and do some research to narrow down your choices. Surf, surf surf! Read. Poke around bookstores to see who's writing your kind of stuff and google the authors to find their agents. Congrats on the book, and good luck with the agent search. I'm in the same boat, except I started by querying widely and THEN selling the book. I'll start the agent search all over again with my next novel, and this time I'll have a publishing credit under my belt.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Almost any agent will take a look if the query letter stands out. Many agents who do not take unsolicited manuscripts will take unsolicited queries.
Writer's Market, Agentquery.com are good places. Vette all your choices through the index here in Bewares and at Preditors and Editors.

If an agent wants pre-paid fees take a pass, if you have already paid them money why should they want to sell your manuscript?

Regards,
Scott

nygirl

Registered
Reaction score
Being lazy is not going to get you an agent. Do your work. It's the only way.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, I have to agree. We don't know your book like you do. You need to seek out agents that represent what genre your book is (if indeed, it is a genre book). Then you should spend some time looking over their client lists - what have they sold, to who, and when. Most of the time you can find that information on the agent's site and/or publisher's lunch.

Then you need to sort of look over each site and get a feel for which would be the best fit for your book.

It's not easy, and no one can do it for you. Agent query is a good place to start.

fredfuller

Registered
Reaction score
You're right, nygirl. I guess I should have said tired. Having just completed 117,000-word novel, I'm kinda tuckered.

Thank you for your interest.

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
A good place to start is Agentquery.com. You can search by genre and it can help point to agents who handle your type of book. Also, many of the agents listed have links to the web pages of their agencies which can provide you with more details about the agency.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Once you come up with a few names, you can use the search function here at AW to find what experience others may have had with that agent. If you can't find any previous mention, you can post asking about a specific agent and perhaps get some feedback here.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
AgentQuery.com is good for finding agents who handle your genre. Often there are links to the websites of the agents or agency, where you can get a better idea of what they're looking for within that genre. Some of them have blogs, which will give you an even better idea of what exactly they want.