PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Fan?

czjaba
03-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Who's your favorite on American Idol? Who do you predict will win?

My favorite was last year's Chris Daughtry. For this year, I think Sundance has a good shot. Not too sure about the women.

Luke flees the scene
03-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Chris Daughtry... Chris Daughtry... I recognize this name. Is he in any way associated with the band Daughtry?

Sage
03-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Sundance? Really? (of course, that's what I said about Taylor last year)

Of the guys, I like Blake & Chris Sligh. But it's really them I like, not necessarily their singing (though they both are decent). The girls are really shining. Gotta go with LaKisha or Melinda. I hope Melinda wins.

Simon & I were sharing a brain today. Everything I thought, he said. Even the one girl who's name he said he didn't know..., in the middle of the song I asked my roommate who she was 'cuz I had absolutely no clue.

ETA: I was all about Chris Daughtry last year. And, yes, he is DAUGHTRY.

kristie911
03-08-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm pulling for Blake. I think he's the only one that actually isn't afraid to be himself and sing what he's good at. It seems most of the others are singing not what's good for their voice but what they think they should be singing. Chris is fantastic and I can't help but root for him. He's not the best singer but he's fun to watch!

And for the girls, I like Gina. She's got a great voice and she's not afraid to rock. But I also like Lakisha, partially because she's from Michigan but she's a very good singer too. I thought she did great tonight and she really went out on a limb singing a Whitney Houston song. Melinda Dolittle is great too though.

The girls are really good this year but the guys aren't impressing me that much.

Luke flees the scene
03-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Oh cool. It's Not Over it a very kickass song.

san_remo_ave
03-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Melinda and Blake

Sage
03-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Oh cool. It's Not Over it a very kickass song.
I downloaded the album from iTunes & it rocks. I knew from Idol that I liked his voice & style, but was still wary of getting anything, until I heard "Wanted Dead or Alive" (not on the album; it's his AI song) & "It's Not Over" on the radio.

billythrilly7th
03-08-2007, 08:21 AM
worst.season.ever

They should put the show on hold. Keep Lakisha and Melinda. Re-audition. Restart show when they find some talent.

Sage
03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
worst.season.ever
They should put the show on hold. Keep Lakisha and Melinda. Re-audition. Restart show when they find some talent.I don't know. Last season was pretty bad....

billythrilly7th
03-08-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't know. Last season was pretty bad....

Huh?

Last season was the best season ever.

The Soul Patrol. Pickler. My sweety and future wife the charming, radiant and beautiful Katherine Mcphee. I still have a McPheever of about 102. Daughtry, who now has sold a million albums. Ace Young made the girls swoon with his dreamy eyes and long hair. Paris Bennett might be more talented than them all.

And don't tell me you didn't cry when Old Yeller died. No one here cried when Old Yeller died? Uh...I mean...tell me you didn't cry when this guy, underdog, dork with a heart of gold got kicked off.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Kevin.png

Season 5 was awesome.

Foinah
03-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Huh?

The Soul Patrol. Pickler. My sweety and future wife the charming, radiant and beautiful Katherine Mcphee. I still have a McPheever of about 102. Daughtry, who now has sold a million albums. Ace Young made the girls swoon with his dreamy eyes and long hair. Paris Bennett might be more talented than them all.

And don't tell me you didn't cry when Old Yeller died. No one here cried when Old Yeller died? Uh...I mean...tell me you didn't cry when this guy, underdog, dork with a heart of gold got kicked off.

Season 5 was awesome.

the horror....the horror....

Southern_girl29
03-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I liked last season, too. I was a Taylor fan all the way, but I also liked Chris.

This year, I'm more about the girls than the guys. I really like Melinda, and it helps that she's from Tennessee. I also like LaKisha and Gina. For the guys, I like Blake and Chris Sligh.

I do feel bad for Sanjaya, though. He's so out of his league. I really, really hope he gets voted off tomorrow night. He's such a pretty boy, too. My little girl kept wondering why he was singing last night when all the rest of the singers were guys. I told her he was a guy, but she didn't believe me.

billythrilly7th
03-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Barba is the worst contestant in the history of American Idol.

The only reason she got on the show is because she's smokin hot. But I think Simon realizes what a mistake that was.

She's atrocious.

benbradley
03-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I rarely watch TV but I did watch some of AI when Diana Degarbo or whatever-her-name-is from Snellville, GA was on, and made it to second place. I lived in Snellville at the time, just a few miles from the high school she attended. For that whole season it seemed every sign in town said "Go Diana!" I heard she even sang at the local Wal-Mart. I tried doing that myself once, but people gave me odd looks and avoided me.

A couple months ago I watched a few minutes of it with my mother (who didn't understand why these people [doing first tryouts] were so bad compared to the final shows last season! But anyway...), and I saw two girls/women trying out. One was really into her looks and trying oh-so-hard to Be Cool, but couldn't sing worth much, and she didn't last 15 seconds (and I have no memory of what she tried to sing) before Simon rightfully booted her out.

The next girl dressed plainly, but sang a really good, bluesy, a capella rendition of Whipping Post. She seemed natural, and wasn't trying to be Janis Joplin or anything like that. Even Simon liked her, and she was sent on to the next audition thing. Did she survive, is she in the running?

Is there some online website where I can view AI episodes (presuming I really wanted to)? Much of my TV watching in recent years has been on the Internet.

Sage
03-09-2007, 05:38 AM
Huh?

Season 5 was awesome.
Ugh. I couldn't stand watching Taylor. His vocal performances got better as he went along, but I seriously could not *watch* his spastic movements. Katherine was okay, & I preferred her to Taylor, but really, the whole thing was really screwed up last year. Mandisa was out way too early. Paris was really good at first, but didn't seem as impressive later. Kelly Pickler never impressed me vocally, but she was cute... yet even the naivete (the only thing I think was keeping her alive in the contest) wore out. Ace & that guy :e2point: didn't really do anything for me. Actually, Chris was the only guy I liked (though Elliot also had a great voice), & the fact that he didn't win was the final nail in that season's coffin.

kristie911
03-09-2007, 06:48 AM
This definitely isn't as good a season as last year but it's not bad. There's some talent in there...I figure they usually get better as the season goes along.

But no one has shown the talent as last season, Chris, Katherine, Elliott, Taylor. No one is really stepping up this year. It's so-so.

kristie911
03-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Okay, I'm watching the Idol results right now (I dvr'd it) and are you freakin' kidding me?! Sanjaya made it but Sundance didn't. Is America on crack? Did the voters actually listen to these guys?! Sanjaya sucks! It makes me cringe to listen to him! I might actually be done watching for the season.

Soccer Mom
03-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Oh no. Another week of Hayley and Sanjaya. Poor Sanjaya looked like he wanted to cry when he realized he'd been voted off instead of Sundance.

I loooooove me some Melinda! She is amazing. Blake is the only guy who seems to know who he is.

dclary
03-09-2007, 12:19 PM
They kept Sahib over Sundance? Utter bullcrap.

billythrilly7th
03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Okay, I'm watching the Idol results right now (I dvr'd it) and are you freakin' kidding me?! Sanjaya made it but Sundance didn't. Is America on crack? Did the voters actually listen to these guys?! Sanjaya sucks! It makes me cringe to listen to him! I might actually be done watching for the season.

Me too.

The most disgusting mistake the moronic American voters have ever partaken in.

YES!!!!!!! Even worse than the 2000**(****) and 2004****Presidential elections.

(**bla bla bla...yes I know Al Gore won...keep believing that
****Love ya, W. Just joshin)

Sundance Head had the potential to be the next American Idol.

Sanjali had the potential to be nothing.

But I look forward to his next hula session.

Thank you.

Disgusted Thrilly

(start the season over, AI)

moth
03-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Okay, I'm watching the Idol results right now (I dvr'd it) and are you freakin' kidding me?! Sanjaya made it but Sundance didn't. Is America on crack? Did the voters actually listen to these guys?!
It's vote for the worst dot com. They had Antonella and Sundance (last I saw) but I bet they switched it to Antonella and Sanjaya. They're the reason Scott Savol stayed so long in S4. I was seriously scared that Antonella would make the top 12 because of them. (Never mind that it should have been Baylie Brown instead of her in the top 24, but that's moot now anyway.)

I was a Chris fan too (still am!), and this year I'm for Melinda and LaKisha. I adore both their voices but I just love Melinda's personality. She's so sweet and modest!

czjaba
03-09-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't know if I'll watch AI again after last night. The nerve!! Choosing Sanjaya of Sundance? I just don't get it.
I was mad last season when they voted Chris off and didn't even bother to watch the final shows. I am a voter with usually 3 phones constantly on redial.
I don't even know anyone else's name on the show this year. The only other ones with a chance is the beat-box guy, and one of the girls. She is the heavy black girl that sang Whitney's song night before last. And yes, IMO, she has a voice to take on Whitney Houston. But Sundance was still my favorite.
But, then again, my choice of music is usually alternative, not the dance songs with the same beat all the way through.
JMO

Siddow
03-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I call the top three as:
Blake
Melinda
Lakisha

(and I loved Elliot from last year. So ugly, though)

writerterri
03-09-2007, 09:07 PM
The blond guy with the smokey voice is my prediction this year. I have to make note of his name though. He's hot.

Last year I wanted to be a Bucky and his twin sandwich. Oy.

kristie911
03-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Last year I wanted to be a Bucky and his twin sandwich. Oy.

Ew...I think I just threw up a little.

writerterri
03-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Ew...I think I just threw up a little.

He just grew on me then when I saw he had a twin. I went nuts. Need a bucket?

BottomlessCup
03-15-2007, 02:54 AM
Okay.

Time for BottomlessCup's Infallible American Idol Prediction.

I've correctly picked the winner from this point five years running. I am unstoppable. Yes, even Taylor Hicks.

It's a tough call this year. I'm not crazy about any of them. Melinda and Lakisha are amazing singers, but are both mighty old-fashioned and, IMO, lacking on the personality side. (Sure, Melinda is sweet, but that wide-eyed "Oh, my god, people like my singing??!!??" act is gonna get old real soon. I'm a bad person, so I already hate it. You will soon enough.)

Since they're very similar singers, they'll be splitting votes, which could lead to one of them going home much earlier than anybody expects. In fact, add in Stephanie and it's a very similar situation to the Fantasia/Jennifer Hudson/LaToya London thing, which sent two of them home early.

I think Stephanie is toast because of that, but since the field is so weak this year, I think there's enough votes to keep the other two in it most of the way.

The only other possible contenders are Blake and maybe, maybe Jordin. Blake's a decent singer and wins on personality. Regardless of when he goes, I think he'll have a successful record at some point.

So that's my call for top four: Lakisha, Melinda, Blake, and Jordin.

Then Jordin goes first. Top Three week is where it all goes down. Whoever out of Lakisha and Melinda sings best on week three wins. Blake gets a whole different kind of vote, so he's safe (that's why McPhee beat Daughtry, BTW). I think Lakisha will do better. Melinda goes home.

Melinda's voters go to Lakisha. She wins.

So that's it: Lakisha.

Take it to the bank.

I don't think she'll sell many records, though. She's an old-fashioned singer. She'll make an old-fashioned record and it'll do poorly. Like Fantasia.

JennaGlatzer
03-15-2007, 03:11 AM
I call the same top 4, but my bet for winner is Melinda.

'Cause she's the awesomest.

(The "oh my gosh, people like my singing" thing IS going to get old... but I believe it's genuine. And girl sings her tush off.)

Sage
03-15-2007, 03:44 AM
The sweetness might get old, just like Kelly Pickler's naivete wore off, but even when I thought Pickler was cutesy, I saw myself getting sick of it, & for Melinda, I just don't see it.

That top four pick is pretty good, when you look at the best vocals in the group, but there's usually someone in there who should have been kicked off before that point, but hasn't. I'd bet Jordin doesn't make it that far because she'd get the same type of voters as Melinda & LaKisha, & she's not as good as them. Someone like Gina, who might get the vote from those who like rockers. At least there are no pure country singers this year.

I predict Blake will be the big winner based on the fact that the best singers or performers (Tamyra Gray, Chris Daughtry, for example) often don't make it to the final round... sadly. If either Blake, Melinda or LaKisha win, I'll be very happy, though. If Sanjaya wins after Taylor winning, after Carrie winning, I will stop watching the show :rolleyes:

BottomlessCup
03-15-2007, 04:00 AM
If Sanjaya wins after Taylor winning, after Carrie winning, I will stop watching the show :rolleyes:

Wait. Are Taylor and Carrie supposed to be like Sanjaya in this scenario? Come on.

Sanjaya is the required "aw, shucks" boy. There's been one every season. Chicken Little, the Beaker-looking crooner, etc. He'll cling to life for longer than anyone expects and go home somewhere between eleventh and seventh.

Melinda

You could be right, defintiely. This may be the year my streak ends. It's pretty much a coin flip.

Lyxdeslic
03-15-2007, 04:01 AM
Alright, let's step it up a notch. Who's going home tonight? I say, if there's any justice to the world, Sonjaya. Or, the male backup singer...what's his name.

billythrilly7th
03-15-2007, 04:17 AM
(The "oh my gosh, people like my singing" thing IS going to get old... but I believe it's genuine. And girl sings her tush off.)

It's already old.

This is all my friends and family are talking about.

How it was and is geniune but now is becoming her manipulated persona and just like Sage said with Pickler, I'm getting really sick of it.

Just be normal, Doolitte. We get it. You're sweet and nice.

As far as the entire crop of boys are concerned....

http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Stewie_You_Suck_link.jpg

Sage
03-15-2007, 04:24 AM
Wait. Are Taylor and Carrie supposed to be like Sanjaya in this scenario? Come on.Sorry, I didn't mean that Sanjaya was similar to Taylor & Carrie vocally. I admit they are much better than him vocally. I simply meant that they were the ones I least wanted to win... & yet they did. You are definitely right in comparing him to "Chicken Little," but while I expected that guy to go quickly, I was surprised when Taylor wasn't close behind him. Taylor did improve as the season went on, but, seriously, how could people stand to watch him?

kristie911
03-15-2007, 05:52 AM
I refuse to discuss Idol results from tonight on the grounds the bad language I will use will get me a time-out from AW.

billythrilly7th
03-15-2007, 06:07 AM
I refuse to discuss Idol results from tonight on the grounds the bad language I will use will get me a time-out from AW.

And dont forget in the future if you do want to discuss to put a spoiler warning....

**************spoiler warning************

...for people in other parts of the country.

I have not seen the show yet, but from what I can gather from your statement, I'm going to be furious.

ETA: I'm not furious.

Soccer Mom
03-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Who the heck is still voting for the kid? Each week that I have to hear poor little Sanjaya butcher a song is like torture. Do the teenyboppers really vote that way? I actually feel sorry for him. He looks like he wants to cry each week when he doesn't get voted out. He's ready to go home.

My rankings (cause I know you care)

1. Melinda: amazing singer. Soooo in control out there.
2. La Kisha: Very understated. She could have oversung and didn't.
3. Blake: Fresh and fun. He always makes me smile
4. Jordin: very Disney Princess, but good
5. Gina: Not the greatest voice, but she's so much fun.
6. Chris S: Sideshow Bob hair aside, he's not different enough, but I like his voice. He could grow.
7. Chris R: sweet guy, but not a strong enough voice
8. Stephanie: not the top diva.
9. Phil: Uncle Fester sings
10. Hayley: Why is she still here?
11. Sanjaya: Just painful

eliminated: Brandon: talented guy, but lacks personality out there. Meh.

Writer14
03-16-2007, 12:12 AM
i want to pretty much shoot myself in the head.

Sanjaya???!?!?! I mean seriously. Omg...how is he getting any votes AT ALL!

I'm convinced his family is voting for him non-stop and telling everyone they know to vote for him to.

However, the other idiots that vote for Sanjaya are probably high...orrrrrrrr They put their t.v on mute and talk about his weird hairstyles.

I SWEAR! if it comes down to Melinda, Lakisha (sp), Blake, Chris, or Chris Sligh....and Sanjaya wins...I will just....

send hate mail >:] mwahahahhaha

Soccer Mom
03-16-2007, 12:16 AM
oooh, I feel your pain! I'm to a point where I now hit mute when he sings.

billythrilly7th
03-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Sanjaya???!?!?! I mean seriously. Omg...how is he getting any votes AT ALL!

My theory is that a lot of little girls think he's cute and don't realize that he plays for the other team. And he also might be getting a lot of votes from the other team or his team. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My friend's non-politically correct theory is that he's getting a lot of votes because he's Indian and Indian tech support people are hacking into the system for him.

I didn't say it. That was my friend.

Regardless, he's gone soon. And we'll all be able to move on.

dclary
03-16-2007, 12:47 AM
Easy answer: voting has been outsourced to India.

Writer14
03-16-2007, 12:55 AM
My theory is that a lot of little girls think he's cute and don't realize that he plays for the other team. And he also might be getting a lot of votes from the other team or his team. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My friend's non-politically correct theory is that he's getting a lot of votes because he's Indian and Indian tech support people are hacking into the system for him.

i hope he's gone soon and thats what my parents say ( as in ur non-politically correct theory) is right XD

Soccer Mom
03-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Heh. He is soooooo playing for the other team. Those little girls haven't had their gaydar installed yet. They will learn. He needs to go next.

Writer14
03-16-2007, 01:26 AM
I will never forget the look on Randy, Simon, and Paula's face when they saw that Sundance got beat out by Sanjaya.

If Sanjaya were to ever win this competition, it will be the nail in the American Idol coffin.

One thing though: I fully agree with Soccer Mom.

This is no longer a fair competition. I think we should all vote for every other singer 20 times next episode -all except for Sanjaya-. Maybe that will get him kicked off next?

Lyxdeslic
03-16-2007, 01:32 AM

Easy answer: voting has been outsourced to India.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as straight as they come, but I think I love these guys. Or, at least their candor. :)

czjaba
03-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Sanjaya just needs to go. But, for a positive comment about the poor kid that obviously can't sing, it does give me a chance to get some popcorn and go to the bathroom without missing any of the good stuff. And by good stuff, I am more or less referring to Simon's comments crushing their hearts when he lets them know the truth. It's almost a comedy season this year. I have heard way better singers at the Karaoke bar in Myrtle Beach. But then again, I was drinking and so were they...maybe that's why they sounded good?

Good Word
03-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Melinda or Lakisha--they're both superb.

Sanjaya reminds me of Michael Jackson.

(Holy cow, I posted something.)

billythrilly7th
03-16-2007, 02:58 AM
Sanjaya reminds me of Michael Jackson.

Yes. Me too. Without any of the talent or charisma our King of Pop, at least, at one time had.

Sarita
03-16-2007, 04:45 AM
I saw a poll on AOL that had Sanjaya ranked 5th overall. It was just an AOL poll, but that's quite telling to me. Someone is voting for him, A LOT.

I like Melinda and Blake for the final 2. From there, I'd say Melinda, but it really could go either way. I love LaKisha, but I think she'll fall flat on one of the themed weeks (can you say Mandisa and the country theme?)

kristie911
03-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Okay, tonight on ET there was a story about American Idol and that Howard Stern was encouraging his listeners to vote for Sanjaya. Just to screw American Idol...I don't know how true it is because I don't listen to Stern. If it's true then I can see why he's still there.

billythrilly7th
03-17-2007, 01:29 AM
I don't think even Chuck Norris could roundhouse kick the suck out of Sanjaya.

With that said, I'm going into the Witness Protection program before Norris gets to my apartment and roundhouse kicks the disrespect out of me.

Goodbye, everyone.

Sage
03-17-2007, 01:55 AM
Okay, tonight on ET there was a story about American Idol and that Howard Stern was encouraging his listeners to vote for Sanjaya. Just to screw American Idol...I don't know how true it is because I don't listen to Stern. If it's true then I can see why he's still there.
I assume if it's on ET, they've probably looked into it (but I don't watch the show & for all I know their info is based on rumors or is often found to be incorrect, but I wouldn't think it would have been on for so many years if that was the case). I had read that Stern had done that on idolsonfox.com, in the Sanjaya forum on the message board, but I think the info came from the same source. However, while looking at that board, I am sad to confirm that there are people who truly believe Sanjaya should be the next American Idol.

kristie911
03-17-2007, 05:11 AM
I don't think even Chuck Norris could roundhouse kick the suck out of Sanjaya.

Priceless quote...I love it! :)

Sarita
03-19-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm just wondering who the Haskins are pulling for...

William?

William Haskins
03-19-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm just wondering who the Haskins are pulling for...

William?

a fast-moving comet.

Writer14
03-31-2007, 04:40 PM
And Sanjaya still remains........ this is embarrassing...

Sage
04-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Is it bad that I had an American Idol dream? It was down to me & Hayley, who for some reason worked with me too, & we both knew we weren't the best (or at least I did), but I was still excited, even though by the time I got to perform, it was more like making a movie video while I did karaoke. I'm sure Simon would have been appalled, but fortunately, I woke up before I got the feedback ;)

CheshireCat
04-01-2007, 11:15 PM
I will never forget the look on Randy, Simon, and Paula's face when they saw that Sundance got beat out by Sanjaya.

If Sanjaya were to ever win this competition, it will be the nail in the American Idol coffin.

One thing though: I fully agree with Soccer Mom.

This is no longer a fair competition. I think we should all vote for every other singer 20 times next episode -all except for Sanjaya-. Maybe that will get him kicked off next?

If you ask me (C'mon, I dare you! Okay, if you insist ... ) AI went off track early, derailed by its own success. The whole idea of actually finding talent might have prevailed in the first season, but after that it was all about Good TV.

And in Good TV, in America, God help us, it's all about the weird, the strange, the pathetic, and the I'm-so-glad-someone-else-looks/sounds/is-worse-than-me syndrome.

And Sanjaya still remains........ this is embarrassing...

Anybody who doesn't think this "kid" isn't milking this for all it's worth hasn't been paying attention. What, he comes out all shy and sweet and incredulous that he's "earned" more votes than better singers and then, slowly, performance by performance, he brings out the weird hats and hairdos and flirting-with-the-audience thing, and that's "growth" or "maturity"? (And don't even get me started on the little girl!)

I think Sanjaya actually stands a chance of "winning," and I think it's the fault of the producers and judges who chose Good TV over actual talent.

Sanjaya should have been gone long before the moronic American public and its dumb splinter groups (the "But he's so cute!" group, and the "Poor Sanjaya!" group, and the "The worst one is going to win because I want to screw with the system, and I CAN!" group) ever got "control" of the outcome via the voting.

I saw the same auditions many of you saw, and there were lots, LOTS of singers leagues ahead of Sanjaya. But they weren't as cute, or as seemingly shy, or auditioned with a sister (Good TV demanded that only one of them be Chosen), or whatever else was going on in the minds of the producers and judges.

Look, the judges are supposed to be there, enduring those awful, endless auditions, to choose talented people. Raw talent, usually, but talent nevertheless. And I can see how they'd get numb (I was actually surprised they weren't throwing their Coke cups at contestants toward the end), but numb is no excuse for choosing someone in a singing/performing competition who clearly could neither sing nor perform without embarrassing himself.

They chose Sanjaya, as they've chosen others, for no other reason except that they knew damned well he'd provide Good TV.

So, congrats AI. You've got Good TV.

Good, Cringe-worthy, scandal-ridden American TV.

Just like our politics. *sigh*

Unless they were lying about it, upwards of 30 million votes are being cast for each show. So the show is making a bloody fortune. Mission accomplished.

I shudder to think who'll they'll pass through to the final rounds next year.

:Soapbox:

End of rant. For now.

Sage
04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
If you ask me (C'mon, I dare you! Okay, if you insist ... ) AI went off track early, derailed by its own success. The whole idea of actually finding talent might have prevailed in the first season, but after that it was all about Good TV.I just wanted to say I absolutely agree with this, CC.

Writer14
04-02-2007, 12:36 AM
I just wanted to add that I completely agree with Sage agreeing with CC because I agree with CC too.

Sage
04-02-2007, 12:40 AM
I just wanted to add that I completely agree with Sage agreeing with CC because I agree with CC too.
We're all so agreeable in this thread :D

Writer14
04-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Very much so! It's good to agree with things that you agree with; it prevents confusion,lol

moth
04-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Me three....:tongue

Soccer Mom
04-02-2007, 10:02 PM
:e2headban

Oh, yeah. Ditto.

BottomlessCup
04-03-2007, 01:53 AM
The idea was never really to find the best talent. It's to make a TV show and a musical brand. They've done that almost perfectly.

kristie911
04-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Other than Kelly Clarkston and Carrie Underwood, the winners of American Idol haven't really gone on to do much beyond AI.

However, Chris Daughtery, who didn't win, had one of the highest debuting albums ever. It's certainly not all about the talent. In fact, I'm starting to think talent has very little to do with it.

Lycius
04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
It hasn't been about talent since the first season.

Welcome to network television.

Sage
04-04-2007, 01:29 AM
The idea was never really to find the best talent. It's to make a TV show and a musical brand. They've done that almost perfectly.
Maybe, but to me it seems that in the first season they could get away with searching for the best talent, & that was the only plot they needed. Who is the best? Will America choose wisely? That was really the only thing they needed.

And you still had issues like Nikki beating out Tamyra, & people were shocked, but it wasn't this melodrama about Nikki right from the beginning. It was just that at some point she continued on when she should have gone home & that's when we took notice. Sanjaya, on the other hand, seems to have gotten in because he & his sister had a sweet story (or something like that. I didn't see their original audition, & have only heard), so as soon as he survived past Sundance & continued surviving, it's been all about him & why/how he's still in the game.

I will say, though, that there could have been some staged incidents to attempt to make a successful franchase out of the AI television show right from season 1. Does anybody remember Justin Guarini telling Simon that he was wrong because the fans loved Justin, & then apologizing in the next show for it? My sister & I were shocked in the finale when they showed us a clip from the UK winner, doing & saying almost the exact same thing. The connection was never made on the show, but it was one reason the two of us didn't like him, so we really picked up on it. Now it could have been coincidence (completely within the realm of possibility that two people might make similar rash comments & similar apologies for said comments), or something Justin saw the UK guy do & mimicked it to try to gain popularity, or he told Simon off & then it was suggested he apologize like the UK guy, or perhaps it was actually scripted (if the drama worked in the UK, why not the US?). The thing is that we don't know how scripted things are for "reality tv," so the singers might be influenced to say or do certain things by the producers, or they might just be being themselves.

However, IMO, they didn't need extra drama to make the first season work. People started watching out of curiosity, stayed 'cuz of Simon's brutality, & then really wanted to know who was the American Idol & what exactly that meant for them. The show probably didn't need the drama for the later seasons either, but once the first was over, the producers probably felt that they needed to make it "better" to keep viewers. And that's essentially what ChesireCat said above.

Sage
04-04-2007, 04:04 AM
And then you have people like the woman who was just on the radio. She goes on & on about how unfair it is that the other contestants work hard to try to be the best & Sanjaya only has to put on a scrunchie & people vote for him. Sounds sympathetic to the rest of the idols. Then she ends with, "So I'm going to vote for Sanjaya tonight to screw with American Idol." :Wha: