PDA

View Full Version : I have a disease! I can't stop buying books!

jennifer75
03-08-2007, 02:13 AM
I bought 3 yesterday all the while having about 10 at home still to be read!

I only did it because they were a buy 2 get one free at borders....

Anybody heard of or read The Tender Bar, by JR Moehringer?

I also bought Carpe Demon (Demon hunting soccer mom) and The Kite Runner.

Sheryl Nantus
03-08-2007, 02:59 AM
I can tell you that Carpe Demon (by Julie Kenner) is a FABOO choice! The sequel is great and the third one in the series is due out this summer...

if you enjoy Buffy, you'll LOVE the series.

:)

WildScribe
03-08-2007, 03:01 AM
I bought book one in a couple of series, hoping that at least one would be passable. They were all awesome, so now I have to go out and buy all the sequels. D'oh!

alleycat
03-08-2007, 03:10 AM
I understand.

There's a 12-step program that meets ever Thursday, but no one ever shows up. They're too busy reading.

scarletpeaches
03-08-2007, 03:13 AM
Pah! I can buy 5 books at once without thinking twice, and I did, this week.

Kudra
03-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Thank God I'm not alone! I have at least 15 books waiting to be read, and yet every time I'm at a bookstore, I get another two or three. My hands need to be tied.

Troo
03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
I daren't think about how many books I have that are awaiting reading. I really can't stop myself. I justify it with the truth: It's better than handbags, shoes, or cocaine. If I must have an addiction, let it be this.

scarletpeaches
03-08-2007, 05:21 PM
I have nearly 500 books and shedloads waiting TBR. 15? Pah! Novice! ;)

Julie Worth
03-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I have thousands of books. Rooms with floor to ceiling shelves, stacked two deep. I have drawers that should be filled with clothes, filled with books. I love the smell of books, the taste. Most of all, I love my own books (printed at lulu). I lie with them, place them on my forehead, commune with them. I want to be with them forever.

Sheryl Nantus
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Borders is *EVIL* with their book deals... which, of course, is why I love them.

:D

scarletpeaches
03-08-2007, 05:47 PM
I have thousands of books. Rooms with floor to ceiling shelves, stacked two deep. I have drawers that should be filled with clothes, filled with books. I love the smell of books, the taste. Most of all, I love my own books (printed at lulu). I lie with them, place them on my forehead, commune with them. I want to be with them forever.

I bought A Book Addict's Treasury (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Addicts-Treasury-Lynda-Murphy/dp/0711226857/ref=sr_1_1/202-4396078-3145426?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173361635&sr=1-1) the other day. On the inside front cover, it says it's a book for readers who sniff books before reading them.

I nearly squealed out in the shop, "That's me!"

I thought I was the only one who did that.

Troo
03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
It worries me more that Julie licks them... :D

Julie Worth
03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't lick library books, though. No telling how many others have licked them.

scarletpeaches
03-08-2007, 06:04 PM
People who dog-ear library books should be taken outside and shot.

Through the kneecaps.

Julie Worth
03-08-2007, 06:08 PM
That would be me. I dogear the top for my place, and the bottom for something I want to go back to. When I'm done with a book, the corners are falling off, the spine is broken. The pages may bulge from an accident in the tub. I have a friend who reads as much as I do, and when he's finished with a book, you can't tell it's ever been opened. I don't understand that.

Books, you should throw yourself into them, make them know they've been read!

scarletpeaches
03-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Oh my giddy aunt!

*swoons clean away*

Troo
03-08-2007, 06:27 PM
*catches scarletpeaches* You better sit down, before you...

What's that you say? She does what to her books?

*faints*

jennifer75
03-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I can tell you that Carpe Demon (by Julie Kenner) is a FABOO choice! The sequel is great and the third one in the series is due out this summer...

if you enjoy Buffy, you'll LOVE the series.

:)

Is California Demon the sequel? So I was right on whenI bought it. I wasn't sure at first if Carpe Demon was the sequel or not.

I never watched Buffy! I know!

jennifer75
03-08-2007, 09:55 PM
I bought book one in a couple of series, hoping that at least one would be passable. They were all awesome, so now I have to go out and buy all the sequels. D'oh!

I'm confused....u bought the first book of a few different series's (not quite sure if that is a word or not)? I get it, so u liked them all and now are obligated to buy the rest of the books?????

jennifer75
03-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Borders is *EVIL* with their book deals... which, of course, is why I love them.

:D

I admit to buying books at borders simply to watch my Holiday Rewards Points build up.

Pat~
03-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I have the same disease/addiction. When we built our home, we built a library to accomodate (enable?) the addiction...but, of course, the shelves have long since been full, and we still have stacks lying around.

One thing that can make you feel less guilty (or enable you to indulge your addiction further, depending on how you look at things) is to visit your nearest Half-Price bookstore--or other local used bookstore. Books are just as wonderful the second time around. Provided you're not into licking them, of course.

scarletpeaches
03-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Buy books from charity shops.

Think of the kids, man. Won't somebody think of the kids?

jennifer75
03-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I have the same disease/addiction. When we built our home, we built a library to accomodate (enable?) the addiction...but, of course, the shelves have long since been full, and we still have stacks lying around.

One thing that can make you feel less guilty (or enable you to indulge your addiction further, depending on how you look at things) is to visit your nearest Half-Price bookstore--or other local used bookstore. Books are just as wonderful the second time around. Provided you're not into licking them, of course.

Yes, there is a used book seller conveniently located near my apartment, I'll have to try them out. Do they typically carry newer titles? I can't help but think not.

jennifer75
03-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Buy books from charity shops.

Think of the kids, man. Won't somebody think of the kids?

Like where? Who? What? They exist? In Los Angeles? (The charity shops,not the children)

jennifer75
03-08-2007, 11:04 PM

I only did it because they were a buy 2 get one free at borders....

Anybody heard of or read The Tender Bar, by JR Moehringer?

I also bought Carpe Demon (Demon hunting soccer mom) and The Kite Runner.

I can't dare take them home, they're in my drawer at work. I'll sneak one home at a time quietly and slip it with the others.

Pat~
03-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes, there is a used book seller conveniently located near my apartment, I'll have to try them out. Do they typically carry newer titles? I can't help but think not.

Not usually; that's the down-side, if you like to read what's just come out. But for anything other than the latest fiction they're a real boon.

benbradley
03-09-2007, 04:21 AM
Yall just THINK you got a disease/addiction. Yall ain't nothin' but Sunday Readers. Try donating a book that normally sells for $40 and up to AW for auctioning, just because you have another copy in better condition. And yes, I have "How to write Bestselling Fiction" too, I had bought many years ago but forgot I had it until I stumbled across it a few months back. I've bought every thrift store and library-sale book I've seen on certain subjects, one of them being writing.

You ain't book geeky until you've made online comments like this, and have actually USED the site when it first started ten years ago:
http://journal.bookfinder.com/archives/entry/000314.html#comments

And yes, There Is A Solution, if you haven't gone too far like I have. As they say, don't think and go to meetings. I'd be in recovery, but I refuse to stop thinking:
http://raft.wash.org/thinkers.html

scarletpeaches
03-09-2007, 04:27 AM
I'm a member of a few reading/book discussion sites, and the general opinion seems to be shock that I owe 450-ish books.

That's roughly half of what I used to own before I had a purge in a manic episode years ago. Threw out, gave away, sold, swapped, donated...

Anyway, I can't believe that people think 450 is a lot. To me, that's like...meh. Only one roomful! :D

benbradley
03-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Here are a few of my addictions editions:
http://frontiernet.net/~benbradley/guitars_books.jpg

scarletpeaches
03-09-2007, 04:36 AM
I love you and I want to marry your house.

thethinker42
03-09-2007, 05:14 AM

Amateur...

I don't even know how many books I own that I haven't read, but I still buy them all the time. In fact, I'm actually selling a bunch of my books on eBay right now just because I'm tired of not having any room for more books. LOL

jennifer75
03-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Amateur...

I don't even know how many books I own that I haven't read, but I still buy them all the time. In fact, I'm actually selling a bunch of my books on eBay right now just because I'm tired of not having any room for more books. LOL

U could have spared yourself the listing fees and selling fees if you'd just offered them to me. I would love to take books off your hands/shelves and put them on mine. :P

PS...for someone who reads an average of 10 books a year, buying 3 in one day is incredibly risky for me. It's mid march and I'm on book #2.

thethinker42
03-09-2007, 07:03 AM
U could have spared yourself the listing fees and selling fees if you'd just offered them to me. I would love to take books off your hands/shelves and put them on mine. :P

Oh, I still have plenty left. I just figured my Dean Koontz and Robert Jordan books stood a chance of selling. Too lazy to list everything else though. LOL No bids yet, but there's some watchers, so anything's possible.

Troo
03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Here are a few of my addictions editions:
http://frontiernet.net/%7Ebenbradley/guitars_books.jpg

Now who's amateurish? All those guitars are taking up valuable book space!