PDA

View Full Version : Which is correct?

Azure Skye
03-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Would you say:

She motioned for (to) Jessica to keep talking.
He motioned to the others to follow him.

She motioned Jessica to keep talking.
He motioned others to follow him.

WORD keeps telling me the first examples are wrong and suggests the last two examples.

Julie Worth
03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
The first examples are correct, but my Word (2003) doesn't object to any of them.

Jamesaritchie
03-07-2007, 10:21 PM
The first examples are correct, but my Word (2003) doesn't object to any of them.

I'm starting to think Word 2003 doesn't object to anything. I find dozens of grammar problems that Word 2003 doesn't flag. The one thing Word 2007 has is a somewhat better grammar check.

Azure Skye
03-07-2007, 10:27 PM

I have word 2000. It's on crutches. Hahaha

Thanks. I figured the first examples were correct.

maestrowork
03-07-2007, 11:06 PM
They all look fine to me, so I would suggest the last two only because you can cut a few words.

"I motioned to the others to follow me."

Jamesaritchie
03-07-2007, 11:39 PM
But, yes, the first two are correct.

ErylRavenwell
03-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Since I'm in the minutiae (yes, it's genetic, I can't prevent it; I'm dogged and haunted :)), I can tell you why examples three and four are incorrect.

He motioned Jessica to keep talking.

"Motioned" here is transitive, that is, it has an object "Jessica"; however, motioned in the transitive means to direct by making a gesture, which isn't the same as the intransitive "motioned" (not requiring an object) which means to signal by making a gesture.

Likewise, "He motioned Jessica to his seat" is correct, while "He motioned to Jessica to his seat" is not.

To quote Medievalist, "The dictionary is the writer's best friend."

http://dictionary.reference.com/