PDA

View Full Version : Feeling down-encouragement please

Provrb1810meggy
03-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm feeling down. Maybe my book is bound to be unpublished, stuck in a drawer...

Does anyone know of teen authors that have been traditionally published and have actually went through the process? I've been looking up teen authors, and all most all of them had a story along the lines of their parents looked at it and sent it to a friend, or with Amelia Atwater Rhodes, her teacher was an agent. Anyone? Is it possible for a teen like me to get published the old fashioned way, through querying and submitting her butt off, without any connections?

CaroGirl
03-07-2007, 07:17 PM
No idea, but here's a virtual <<<hug>>> for you.

Hang in there, but I don't advise putting all your eggs in one basket. Keep querying, but start work on your next novel. If you never sell the first, you can chalk it up to a learning experience. I'm about to query my first novel (well, second, but the first will never see the light of day), but I'm also well into my next major work.

All the best!

maddythemad
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Keep querying and submitting your butt off, Megan. Your book is definitely good enough to be published! In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before an agent picks you up. :)

(Also-- I have nothing against the opening-- but have you considered rewriting it if it's putting a lot of agents off? I've been thinking about doing that myself. Trying to start more in the "action," wherever that is.)

Provrb1810meggy
03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Keep querying, but start work on your next novel. If you never sell the first, you can chalk it up to a learning experience. I'm about to query my first novel (well, second, but the first will never see the light of day), but I'm also well into my next major work.

All the best!

Don't worry. I am. In fact, this is the second novel that I'm submitting, but I just recently finished a novel and am starting to revise that.

(Also-- I have nothing against the opening-- but have you considered rewriting it if it's putting a lot of agents off? I've been thinking about doing that myself. Trying to start more in the "action," wherever that is.)

I already reworked it once. I think the main thing agents are having a problem with is my MC's, well, not so sympathetic personality in the beginning. That's why I tried to start it with a journal entry from her nerd days that shows her vulnerability, the Bianca buried deep inside, but it doesn't seem like enough.

Thanks for saying you think it could get published, Maddy. How sweet!

roach
03-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Well looking at your submission log you're making some progress. I don't know about teen authors who've published book length work, but I know lots of authors who first had shorter work published. I don't think your age will be any barrier to you getting published while in their teens. Just keep at it.

(And I'm right there with you on thinking unpublishable thoughts. I'm not even halfway through my list of agents to query and I'm struggling against thoughts of consigning my book to the dustbin of history.)

Dani Dunn
03-08-2007, 01:47 AM
A yound lady on one of my other boards reported she just got picked up the old fashioned way, so hang in there. We all are waiting for that one particular letter or email.

Maprilynne
03-08-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey You! Yes you! Feel Better! Now!!

:)

Maprilynne

clara bow
03-08-2007, 02:21 AM
I'm of the opinion that yes, it's possible to get an agent without "connections." But that doesn't take away the stress. Like others have said, just keep querying. It could take a few months or a few years to find a match. Always be on the lookout for new agents--that is the one advantage of time going by so much while you search!

David McAfee
03-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Wasn't Christopher Paolini only 15 years old when he published Eragon? Not the best example, I know. But the only other one I can think of is a 14 year old girl (whose name I can't remember) who recently got a deal with Simon & Schuster (or was it Scribner?). Anyway, some big house bought her book. I'm sketchy on the details, though.

maddythemad
03-08-2007, 05:01 AM
14-year old Alexandra Adornetto's novel is coming out sometime later this year, I believe.... 'Course, she had some sort of "writing family" thing going on (although I have no idea if she got published through her connections or not.)

Provrb1810meggy
03-09-2007, 03:39 AM
Wow! No agent. No connections. I looked up Alexandra Adornetto, and she was plucked from the Harper Collins slush pile. Still, I have to wonder, that publisher doesn't even accepted unsolicited queries according to the guidelines. Hmm...maybe the guidelines changed. Anyway, it says her ms. was on the slush for an entire year. This is encouraging. A young author is getting published the traditional way without just falling upon an agent or a family connection. WOO HOO!

Then again, she could just be completely talented and me utterly talent-less. Ha ha, let's not get off on that tangent.

CarpalTunnel
03-09-2007, 04:19 AM
Have you seen this? I think she was 18 when querying.
http://www.robynschneider.com/correspondences.html

Susan B
03-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey Meg,

I think it's wonderful that you've completed novels while you are still in your teens!

Actually, it's amazing to complete a book at any age--we all need to remember that, no matter what their fates.

Don't lose heart! And people definitely get agents without connections. I've been in a critique group for the last year and a half, and three of us so far got agents--all without connections. (Of course, only 1 person has had his agent actually place the book with a publisher--I am one who is still waiting and hoping.) So I bet you will find someone, if you keep it up.

Good luck!

Susan

C.bronco
03-09-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm sure it's no harder than it is for the rest of us fogeys. Fewer teens are published and fewer teens are trying to be published. You can't succeed if you don't try. I haven't given up on my ms and it's been over a year since I finished it.