Ratio of Replies to Views

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I have been scrolling looking at the ratio of replies-to-views. It's so interesting to see such a disparity between the two. Some are huge! Makes me wonder who are all the viewers? So then, I start suspecting that there are hordes of surveyors, researchers, students, etc who are trolling the forums looking for stats, ideas for papers, resources for instructional purposes, etc.

Do any of you get curious and have any thoughts as to why there is often a huge gap between replies and views on the various threads? Or, am I just a paranoid conspiracist seeker?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Some threads are like a fight in the monkey cage at the zoo - you want to watch, but not get too close.

Others, I poke my head in, see it's not what I wanted, or went off on a tangent too soon, or hasn't yet gone off on a suitable tangent, or someone beat me to the obvious one-liner and now I've got nothing to say.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Currently 11 to 1.
Suggest that everyone who views this thread post something. Sort of a test to see how many true lurkers we have. Would also like to hear from the mods on this subject. How many pure readers do we get?

BTW we love readers!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I like to think that it's a sign of maturity. Many of us actually know when to keep our mouth shut.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
And then sometimes you start to post something, but you can actually hear the collective eye roll as you type.

Yes, hear. If you can hear people rolling their eyes at what you just said, you know you're officially lame...

*Flinches at the sound of a collective AW eye roll.* :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
As of this post, there are 13,809 members of AW. About 189 of us have more than 1000 posts.

Thank goodness for the lurkers! If we prolific posters waste as much time as we do NOW, can you imagine how bad it would be if everyone were as mouthy (fingery? That sounds... just... wrong!) as we are?

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
And sometimes you click on the wrong thread by mistake and find yourself reading about eggplant when you expected an update on babies.

Actually, sometimes you click the right thread and it still happens...and I'm sometimes the one responsible...

(On another board)
Poster #1: You wouldn't have been so ticked off if it had been Pagey who sent the thread careening off-topic...

Two posts later: Sorry, Pagey, it's just that well....

Poster #2 - You're really good at it. No offense...

Me: :roll:

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I lurk on most threads. I only post if I think I have something new to say in the conversation.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
If you are the OP of a thread, don't you go back and view it again everytime someone responds, don't all of those count in the views? Sometimes the people who add to the "views" are the people posting too.

right?

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
When you post, and then you see your addition at the bottom of the thread does that count as a new post because the page reloaded?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can't stop progress, KTC!