Holding out of the 'best agent' - Bad Idea?

CrankItTo11

Registered
Reaction score
I have a three ‘fulls’ out to agents that I am very excited about (that is, these are agents that I would be very pleased and excited to work with and that have outstanding track records). One full was from an agent that requested a full initially, and two are from agents that asked for a partial and then a full manuscript. All these requests for a full manuscript have happened in the past two months.

There is one agent, however, who has had my partial for about three months but has not yet sent me a response. While I would be ecstatic to be represented by any of the agents currently holding my manuscript, the one who has yet to respond is the one that I think is truly the best fit for my work, my personality, and my future plans. I am 85% sure that this isn’t just a ‘grass is always greener’ situation. I don’t know if this non-responding agent tends to be slower than a typical agent, but the other three agents with fulls have all been very quick in their correspondence. (One request from query to partial to full happened over the course of just 3 weeks – hardly even enough time for the post office to deliver all that correspondence.) By the way, I know three months on a partial is not an outrageous timeframe by any means.

Here is what has me worried (and what a wonderful thing to ‘worry’ about):

If I am fortunate enough to have one of the other agents offer representation, I would be completely foolish (and probably rude) to not immediately accept --- correct? I don’t really feel like I am in the position to say “Thanks for the offer, hold that thought while I check in with one of your competitors to see where he is at.” Should the fact that he is taking a long time tell me that he isn’t as excited about the manuscript as the other agents might be, and therefore he may not be the best of the four agents to represent the work afterall?

Has anyone here done something like this to try to get the “best offer”? Was it a trainwreck?

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice/slaps. I understand there is a mighty good chance that I’ll find four rejection letters in my mailbox today and be back at square one. I just like fantasizing about best-case-scenario worries such as this.

I apologize also for this rambling post. I hope my novel isn’t as incoherent as the paragraphs above.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, saying "Thanks for the offer, hold that thought while I check in with one of your competitors to see where he is at," is exactly what you DO say. I mean, maybe a politer version of that, but still. Basically, if your work is good enough to have agents offering representation, they will understand that you have other agents potentially interested in your work. If they don't allow you to contact the other agent with a brief, "I've been offered representation from so-in-so, and was wondering if you could get back to me within two weeks so I can make my decision" note, then they aren't the kind of agent you'd want to work with anyway.

I'm afraid that wasn't very coherent either. :( Hopefully you understand what I mean.

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
I agree that you don't have to say yes immediately to an offer of representation. Express your delight that you've been asked to dance, then request the names and contact information of a few clients who can tell you what the agent is like to work with. You might also ask for a sample contract (if the agent uses one) so that you can go over it (with your lawyer is not a bad idea) to make sure you understand what you're committing to. Then promise to return with a firm answer in x weeks (two is not unreasonable).

I've never heard of an agent withdrawing an offer if you don't say yes immediately, but if one did, I would take that as a sign that you don't want to be with that agent anyway. By the same token, you don't want to drag the process out unnecessarily.

Then contact Agent A -- the one you think is the best match for you (a phone call is not out of line at this point) -- say that you've been offered representation but think Agent A may be the best match for you, and would she be able to make a determination by x date?

You know what to do next.

One tiny caution. Agent A may seem like a good match. But the leading cause of high blood pressure among writers are agents who don't respond quickly. It may be that Agent A is so busy with her stable full of clients that she can only glance at potential clients' material now and then, but it can also mean that when you're her client, instead of sending out your manuscripts she'll be sitting on them for ten gazillion years until everyone who might conceivably have been interested has left the business. Not that that's happened to me or anything :)

That you're being asked for all those fulls after partials is great news, BTW. Congratulations, and let us know how it goes.

Jennifer Lawler

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
If I am fortunate enough to have one of the other agents offer representation, I would be completely foolish (and probably rude) to not immediately accept --- correct? I don’t really feel like I am in the position to say “Thanks for the offer, hold that thought while I check in with one of your competitors to see where he is at.”

On the contrary, when you're at that stage, you are in that position. That's the point where the agents will try to convince you that they're the best choice for you, not the other way around. The first agent to offer was the one I signed with, but I didn't give her an answer for a week. I had to give the others an opportunity to respond. Not only did she understand, but she insisted I take the time to make the best choice for me. You'll want to ask questions about the agency and ask to see an agency agreement. It's business, not personal, and you want to make sure you're making the best choice for you.

Should the fact that he is taking a long time tell me that he isn’t as excited about the manuscript as the other agents might be, and therefore he may not be the best of the four agents to represent the work afterall?
I don't know. In my experience, yes, but I doubt that really holds up in general. My agent was easily the most enthusiastic about my work and read it in just a few weeks.

Has anyone here done something like this to try to get the “best offer”? Was it a trainwreck?

You're not so much trying for a "best offer" as trying to weigh your options. My email said something to the effect of:

I wanted to inform you that I have received an offer of representation on my novel, [title], and I will be giving the agent a final answer on [date]. If you are still interested in considering my work, please let me know.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
A polite way to let an agent know you need to think about it is to simply say, "I've agreed to let the other agents currently reviewing my full know of any offers of representation before I make my final decision. Can I get back to you in a week?"

I don't know any agent who would be offended by that . . . except an agent you don't want to have.:)

Congrats on getting so many fulls out there!

Maprilynne

CrankItTo11

Registered
Reaction score
Wow - you all gave some fantastic advice. I'm so glad I posted this question here! I guess I am so used to mindset that an agent is *up here* and I'm just a lowly writer begging for attention *down here* that I didn't think I could put myself in the position of power to tell an agent that I'd have to think about it. That mindset seems really silly now that I've read your very rational responses.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
You have given me a great idea--thank you! From now on, I'm going to notify them in the first paragraph of the query that I am holding out until the first agent who says "yes."

It's a whole new game, now!

Excelsior

Don't panic.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope I have that problem some day.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Wow - you all gave some fantastic advice. I'm so glad I posted this question here! I guess I am so used to mindset that an agent is *up here* and I'm just a lowly writer begging for attention *down here* that I didn't think I could put myself in the position of power to tell an agent that I'd have to think about it. That mindset seems really silly now that I've read your very rational responses.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies.

What they all said. And just wait till you have three or four EDITORS all wanting your ms! THAT'S power! Wheeee!

(OK, let's get down from that trip, down to the earth! But it's nice to dream , right? :))