Please tell me what you think about these lyrics

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
I'm trying to complete my first song. For me, the lyrics are the "easy" part—we'll see if I can manage to come up with a good melody! Anyway, here's what I have so far, and I'd appreciate your input. Does anything sound odd or not fit, etc.? (I'll probably remove this in a few days.) Thanks!

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few comments on the first half of the song. And some of the meter isn't quite right as I "sing along".

VERSE
It’s five days short of twenty-nine months
She said as she leaned on her cane
He was my prince, the sun in my sky [I think you could do better with this line]
And I’m still feeling the pain

VERSE
All those who knew her said wasn’t it sad
That still she was counting the days [I might use "That she still counted the days"]
She needs to accept it and start moving on
…But I’m here to say [This might work, but something "stronger" might be better]

CHORUS
You never stop counting
You never forget [or "You can never forget"]
You can’t put it out of your mind
Although you keep living
Your heart still keeps track [To me, this line is awkward]
You don’t really leave it behind

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Thank you, alleycat, for your ideas. You're right, the meter isn't perfect, but I'm not as strict about that in a song as I would be in a poem since it's easier to correct for in a song. In the melody that's been going through my head, it seems to work, but I don't know if that's the one I'll end up with.

The song was inspired by an 80-some-year-old woman I know, and the first verse is based on something she actually said to me when I saw her a few weeks ago.

Thanks again for taking the time to critique! :) Additional comments from anyone are appreciated.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Gosh. I stepped away from the computer and then I thought, Boy, I bet my post came off sounding like I was totally disregarding alleycat's input. I just want to add that I'm not—you have some good points and it's always good to get others' initial honest reactions, which is what I'm looking for. I don't like when people post looking for a critique and then proceed to defend every line. I hope that's not what I'm doing.

So really, thank you. :)

Martin Hall-Kenny

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with Alleycat about the metre....
My only comment- at this point- would be that the subject of the song didn't come up and show itself to me... I was unsure- until your second post- what the song was about- beginning, middle and end, so to speak.
I thought it scanned quite well actually.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh. I stepped away from the computer and then I thought, Boy, I bet my post came off sounding like I was totally disregarding alleycat's input. I just want to add that I'm not—you have some good points and it's always good to get others' initial honest reactions, which is what I'm looking for. I don't like when people post looking for a critique and then proceed to defend every line. I hope that's not what I'm doing.

So really, thank you. :)
That's okay. I didn't take your first reply as being argumentative.

I just sort of made up my own melody for the lyrics. When I did, I found some of the wording made it hard to sing (not that I can actually sing anyway). In other words, I stumbled a place or two trying to fit the words to the melody that seems to fit.

And, I was thinking in terms of commercial songs these days.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's a beautiful concept, Serena. I think your next revision will be wonderful. At present, I think it's lovely. (If you can find it--look for my poem Emmy). Similiar idea, but different subject matter.

Mike

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Thank you, Martin and Mike.

I found "Emmy." I love the way you described her so well without actually describing her. Very strong imagery—I could see it right away.

:)