PDA

View Full Version : Morning surprises

swvaughn
03-06-2007, 05:29 PM
So today, my half-and-half is frozen.

See, I have this little mini-fridge in my office. It's just big enough for a pint of half-and-half and a yogurt (or a quart of half-and-half, if I take out the wee cute shelf). Last night I left the little space heater on in here (the big space heater I use during the day goes in my son's room at night). I moved the gerbils in with my son so they wouldn't freeze.

Usually I put the half-and-half back in the big fridge at night. Last night I didn't. Today I have creamer slush. Yum!

In short, it's bloody cold here in upstate New York. And I suppose there are worse things to wake up to. Like for instance, a brand new litter of baby kittens on your feet. Birth is messy, even for cats.

What have you woken up to lately?

Maryn
03-06-2007, 05:35 PM
When I was a kid, the family cat used to bring us 'gifts' of her small kills and leave them somewhere in the very messy room I shared with my sister. We wouldn't know she'd done it until it began to rot.

But that was long ago. Now I'm in western New York, it's one glorious degree, and the wind's blowing hard. Is it true I have to go out?

Aw, nuts!

Maryn, who thinks this would be a fine day to stay in

Cath
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
When I was a kid, the family cat used to bring us 'gifts' of her small kills and leave them somewhere in the very messy room I shared with my sister. We wouldn't know she'd done it until it began to rot.
Yeah - one of mine used to have a thing about frogs. She left one under the sofa (under which I do not vacuum) and we didn't find it until the smell hit us. Not nice.

Most of the nasty surprises in our house are cat related somehow.

swvaughn
03-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Ah, cats. Life would be dull without them.

One of ours once brought in a snake. He failed to kill it first. It was the only time in my life I'd ever seen a table laden with screaming women (my mother and two of my aunts).

:D

Shadow_Ferret
03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
When I was in the Navy the barrack's cat gave birth on one guy's pillow.

No one liked him anyway.

I took one of the kittens. Stupid cat kept bringing me dead birds as presents.

NeuroFizz
03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
The morning chubby!

Stew21
03-06-2007, 07:20 PM
The morning chubby!

it's not still a surprise is it?

maestrowork
03-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Knock on wood.

NeuroFizz
03-06-2007, 07:22 PM
it's not still a surprise is it?
I treat it like one...

swvaughn
03-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Now that's a nice surprise. Much better than a tarantula on your face. :D

maestrowork
03-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Or a half-eaten mouse.

ChaosTitan
03-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Just this morning, I stepped into the bathroom and realized that something didn't make it all the way into the litter box.

*considers buying slippers so that never happens again*

Pagey's_Girl
03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, some years ago I awoke to the discovery that the girl at the pet store didn't know the difference between a male and a (pregnant) female hamster after all.

But baby hammies are cute...Hamlet (mom), Sir Falstaff, Prince Hal, Mfawney (did I spell that right?) Amelia Bedilia Erhart and Princess Tiger Lily...

And Falstaff snored - loud.

These days, I usually wake up to find [i[someone[/i] (aka my cockatiel Belle) has laid another egg. I swear, she's a little gray egg-laying machine...

WildScribe
03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
A cat. On my face. I'm convinced that he is trying to kill and eat me.

maddythemad
03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
What have you woken up to lately?

A high of 7 degrees and no firewood. :(

rhymegirl
03-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Well....this is embarrassing but...

A few weeks ago I woke up at 5 in the morning. The house was dark, I was not awake at all, stumbling to the bathroom.

My wonderful husband left me with a nice surprise--a toilet seat cover left up which I did not notice and of course--I landed right in the toilet.

That is not a fun experience.

maestrowork
03-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Cat vomits are always surprises, no matter how much I "expect" them.

Snow and ice. Or a clear day after much snow and rain.

Puffy face. "Cut the salt, dammit!"

swvaughn
03-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Well....this is embarrassing but...

A few weeks ago I woke up at 5 in the morning. The house was dark, I was not awake at all, stumbling to the bathroom.

My wonderful husband left me with a nice surprise--a toilet seat cover left up which I did not notice and of course--I landed right in the toilet.

That is not a fun experience.

Oh, I have to agree -- this is not a fun experience at all! Actually, it's a rather cold, wet, and startling experience. And after the shock wears off, an I'm-going-to-kill-the-next-person-I-see-who-stands-up-to-pee experience. :D

NeuroFizz
03-07-2007, 12:56 AM
There is a converse experience--when a half-asleep stander expects the seat to be down and the closed lid coats the bathroom walls, and the stander's legs, with richochet piss. That'll open those glued-shut eyelids in a hurray.

rhymegirl
03-07-2007, 01:03 AM
That'll open those glued-shut eyelids in a hurray.

So does sitting in toilet water. :)

writerterri
03-07-2007, 02:28 AM
A naughty cat and three naughty kids. That's enough to make me want to go back to bed.

maestrowork
03-07-2007, 03:11 AM
There is a converse experience--when a half-asleep stander expects the seat to be down and the closed lid coats the bathroom walls, and the stander's legs, with richochet piss. That'll open those glued-shut eyelids in a hurray.

You can then tell the guilty lid-closer to clean it all up.