PDA

View Full Version : Shot self in foot?

Solatium
03-06-2007, 11:32 AM
This may not be the right forum for this -- but then, I'm not really asking a question or anything, just taking the opportunity to publicly panic.

See, not twenty minutes ago I e-subbed a short story -- and as I was attempting to record same in my Duotrope account (it wouldn't let me, btw, because it still thinks it's yesterday), I realized that my story shares a word with the name of the magazine.

Will this kill my chances of acceptance? (A rhetorical question. Of course it will.) I'm afraid it makes me look like either a devius ("Look, she's trying to subliminally suggest that her story's perfect for us.") or an idiot ("Jesus! She mistook us for a publication devoted entirely to notebooks?").

Thoughts? I only think I ought either to have retitled it or to have picked another market. But it's too late now . . .

blackpen
03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
of course not. you're fine. it shows that you are actually catering to each individual market

Solatium
03-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Actually, that's what I'm afraid of: the appearance of trying to cater to the individual market but being desperately simple-minded about it.

blacbird
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Getting rejected for something like this ranks about #426 on the list of Reasons Why, long after "The cat did an overnight no-no on the editor's bed and on this day she's not accepting nothing from nobody, not even Joyce Carol Oates." Don't worry about it.

caw

The Lady
03-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Your story will stand on its own merit. Go write another story and fantasise about the day you include above anecdote in your autobiography.

Jamesaritchie
03-07-2007, 01:50 AM
If the story is rejected, it's won't be for this reason. I can't imagine anything being less important.

Julie Worth
03-07-2007, 02:00 AM
I can't imagine anything being less important.

In a rational world, yes, but I've heard a well-regarded editor say that he would reject a story if the protagonist had a certain name. The best I could figure, it was his nickname as a kid, a name he hates so much that he now uses only the initial.

Jamesaritchie
03-07-2007, 03:24 AM
In a rational world, yes, but I've heard a well-regarded editor say that he would reject a story if the protagonist had a certain name. The best I could figure, it was his nickname as a kid, a name he hates so much that he now uses only the initial.

Yeah, this is one of those egg in the story moments, just on the day the editor had a bad egg for breakfast.

But, really, such occurrences are so low they don't merit worrying about.

maddythemad
03-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Don't worry about it. Seriously. They probably won't notice it either. (I read a book where one of the characters had my father's FULL name, and I didn't notice for pages and pages.) And even if they do notice, I can't imagine why it would be a problem.