PDA

View Full Version : Question about another forum

CheshireCat
03-06-2007, 04:22 AM
I have a question/problem regarding Writers.net that I thought someone over here might have a solution for. I've joined several different forums, including AW, without any problems, but at WN I can't seem to receive the "activation code" allowing me to post.

I can log in; I'm shown as logged in, but also told every time that I need to activate my account and given a link to resend the code.

The code that never appears in my (valid) email box. I've tinkered with my spam and firewall controls to no avail. Sent a note to "them" at WN explaining the problem and asking if it might have something to do with the fact that I'm on a firewalled network, and got a reply from the webhost, I gather, saying that might be it and that I should add @writers.net to the allowed email -- which I did.

No change.

So I asked my tech guy, and he seemed to think it was being stopped at Bellsouth, which is my ISP.

Still with me? :)

I then tinkered with the spam controls Bellsouth provides its customers, and set it -- I think -- so that I could review spam before it was deleted.

Still no activation code.

I have to explain here that not being able to post at WN might be a blessing in disguise (I've lurked long enough to know that it can turn into a meat grinder over there), but what bugs me is that I was able to post the day I first registered, sans activation code, and posted a few notes.

Then, as far as members there are concerned, vanished. And since I unintentionally vanished just after commenting to one of the members that I had published more books than he had, the impression I left behind me was probably troll-like.

It irks me to be thought of as a troll.

So if anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I want to remain anonymous over there just as I am here (using the same screen name of Cheshire Cat), and I have no intention of using my private email address -- but the address I did use is perfectly valid and in good working order.

So what gives? Anybody else using Bellsouth and having the same sort of trouble?

:Headbang:

PeeDee
03-06-2007, 07:38 AM
I've heard bad things about Bellsouth, but nothing specific and nothing personal, so I have no idea.

I'm no help at all. I've been to writers.net twice and have been entirely non-plussed, and have left. (This isn't a jab at writers.net, I'm the same way with most writerly web-sites.)

I should just add, your posts are just about the only ones I can read on AW without putting on my glasses... :D

Dani Dunn
03-06-2007, 07:48 AM
I started on Writer's.net. They were cool with me. They helped me revise my query before I came over here. I never had a problem loggin in. Good luck to you.

Silver King
03-06-2007, 07:51 AM
That's such a strange request, Ches. Sorry I'm no help either.

You could call MCI and ask them to straighten out your problems with Bellsouth.

They'll scratch their heads, too.

CaoPaux
03-06-2007, 08:20 AM
I presume you've tried clearing your cookies? And you're using the log in link at the top of the forum? If your system blocks WN's auto-responder, Hamish should be able to email you a code, or even activate your account manually (if that's indeed the problem).

Kentuk
03-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Uh, you could always give them your mother's email address or open another email account.

CheshireCat
03-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I should just add, your posts are just about the only ones I can read on AW without putting on my glasses... :D

:D Yeah, one of the reasons I chose this font, color, and pt size is because of my own ageing eyes. LOL

It's a bit of a pain to change for every note, though. So far I haven't found a way to change the default font/pt/color; is there one? Anybody know?

As for Bellsouth, their DSL has been first-rate, and so far this thing with WN is the only problem I've had to deal with.

CheshireCat
03-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I presume you've tried clearing your cookies? And you're using the log in link at the top of the forum? If your system blocks WN's auto-responder, Hamish should be able to email you a code, or even activate your account manually (if that's indeed the problem).

I've cleaned the cookies, yes. Also using the log in link at the top of the page (which always tells me I'm already logged in).

I've forgotten Hamish's email -- is it just hamish@writers.net? Haven't tried emailing him directly as yet.

CheshireCat
03-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Uh, you could always give them your mother's email address or open another email account.

Well, tried that -- or something similar. Just occurred to me, though, that the ISP was still Bellsouth. (Duh.)

Who do I know who isn't using Bellsouth ...