PDA

View Full Version : Printer?

Live2Write
03-06-2007, 02:56 AM
I was wondering what type of printer you guys would recommend for printing manuscripts. My "all in one" will not handle anything over 3 pages or it jams.

Any suggestions for a good, solid printer that can handle manuscripts at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Live2Write

CheshireCat
03-06-2007, 04:02 AM
I had a multi-function (printer, fax, copier, scanner) for years that handled thousands of pages. An HP, I think. DeskJet. So it was an ink jet printer. Never had problems with paper jamming, and the print was always clean and dark -- though I could go through an ink cartridge with every book.

Can't remember if you're in the US, but going to a large business supply store, like Staples or Office Depot, is probably the best way to see what's out there and where the bargains are.

James D. Macdonald
03-06-2007, 04:12 AM
I use an HP Deskjet 970Cxi myself.

The only problem it has is that it's got a tiny paper feed tray. Printing a novel requires multiple refills.

Carmy
03-06-2007, 08:54 AM
I use HP Office Jet 5610 All-in-One and have never had a problem. The standard paper tray isn't very big but I usually key it to print one chapter at a time so it isn't a problem.

blacbird
03-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I employ Brother Adrian. He has this excellent goose quill pen and is really creative with colored inks. A little red wine and penitence, and he's good to go.

caw

benbradley
03-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I was wondering what type of printer you guys would recommend for printing manuscripts. My "all in one" will not handle anything over 3 pages or it jams.
Can it play Louie, Louie?

Okay, sorry, you didn't buy it for it to jam.

I have an HP PSC "all in one" thingie I've had for years, and it's starting to jam sometimes. The paper has to be inserted properly, and also I think some kinds of paper are more likely to jam than others.

I bet this could be fixed by sanding the rubber rollers, though the rubber dust might cause other problems. It's a shame to throw these things out when the develop such problems, but they're made so cheaply that's about all anyone does. If it's under warranty and you take it back, about all they can do economically is toss it and give you a new one.

Maryn
03-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Check this thread (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55850&highlight=printer), where BW printers were discussed at length.

I am madly in love with my HP LaserJet 1200 (now superceded by a newer model, no doubt), despite its expensive cartridges. I get 5,000+ pages to a cartridge and plenty of warning when it's running low. It's fast. I've never once had a paper jam. In fact, it's one of those rare machines that just does exactly what it's supposed to do so reliably that I never need think about it.

Maryn, aware she sounds like an HP shill

PeeDee
03-06-2007, 06:16 PM
My printer never jams and does really high-res pages, but the downside is I have to give him Sundays off.

ChaosTitan
03-06-2007, 08:05 PM
If you can afford a laser printer, I highly recommend it. I love my Brother HL-1440. I've printed nearly a thousand pages in two years on the same toner cartridge and it's just now flashing a signal to be replaced.

pink lily
03-06-2007, 08:18 PM
I go to Staples; all of my printers are junk.

Sean D. Schaffer
03-06-2007, 10:02 PM
My printer is an HP Deskjet 5940. It was a floor model at the local Fred Meyer (Owned by Kroger), and it works pretty darned well. It doesn't jam up all that often, and its printouts are decent quality. Text works nicely, and is straight and always very well aligned. I like it.

Dave.C.Robinson
03-09-2007, 01:14 AM
I have a laserjet 1020, it was inexpensive and works like a charm. I also have an all-in-one that is utter crap. Go with the laser.

Live2Write
03-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I've written some down and will check around online (for pricing) and some stores. Unless I can find one very cheap online, it most likely wouldn't be worth the shipping costs.

Thanks again!

Live2Write

Scrawler
03-12-2007, 07:11 AM
when my HP all in one died, I got a Samsung laser printer. It love that it spits out 22 pages a minute.

Carrie in PA
05-07-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm glad I found this thread! I'm in the market for a new printer. Is laser the way to go nowadays?

Jersey Chick
05-07-2007, 01:30 AM
I use an HP LaserJet 1320. The cartridges are kind of expensive ($70 a pop - or maybe I'm just cheap that way :D), but I only replace it maybe twice a year. I do drafts in high-speed mode, save the good mode for submissions, and probably get at least 5,000 pages per cartridge, maybe more. It hasn't overheated yet and I tend to punish it (I swear my last printer actually cried once!). I've had this one for 2 1/2 years and I love it.

Ok - hopping off my soapbox. I promise, I don't work for HP :)

Tachyon
05-07-2007, 01:43 AM
I got an Epson Stylus CX3810 for free after mail-in rebate when I purchased my digital camera. It's an "all-in-one" photocopier/scanner/printer deal. I thought it would be a piece of junk, but I've had it since Christmas and it works great.

I print out my manuscripts 20 pages at a time just because pages will sometimes stick, and occasionally I need to clean the nozzles when lines show up. But it's never jammed on me or exploded or demanded sacrifices to dark gods or anything like that. :D

janetbellinger
05-07-2007, 01:54 AM
I got a laser printer several months ago because my ink jet printer took too bleeping long to print.

maestrowork
05-07-2007, 02:38 AM
Laser printers are so cheap now and the toners usually last a few thousand pages. If you plan on printing copies of your mss., I would suggest a laser. Printing anything larger than 300 pages on an inkjet is just torturous.

JanDarby
05-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Definitely go laser. Black ink, not color.

I bought my first laser printer (HP) somewhere around the summer of 1993, and I just replaced it last month, after TWICE replacing the computer that ran it. I don't remember what I paid for it, just that it was a little pricey at the time, but I got almost 14 years' work out of it. I was shocked by how much faster my new one was, with 14 years' improvement in the technology, but I'm loving it.

The thing that makes me feel better about the expense of the cartridges (which isn't bad, really, given how many pages they print, but I'm a cheapskate) is that they contain a lot of the parts that are most likely to break, so every time you replace the cartridge, you're replacing the worn bits, and that makes the printer as a whole last and last and last.

JD

Dave.C.Robinson
05-08-2007, 02:28 AM
A monochrome laser is the way to go. It prints a 300+ page manuscript in much less than an hour, and while the cartridges are somewhat pricier, they last ten times as long. The print's sharper too.

Soccer Mom
05-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Laser is the way to go. But I still love my Lexmark P3150. It prints lovely photos, never jams, and my cat loves to scan and copy her tail. She does that everytime I write. I must have a thousand copies of Meg's tail.