Swearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllyWoof

Becoming a Serious Writer!
Registered
Reaction score
In real life, I've noticed the ever increasing usage of curse words in teenagers vocabulary. Is it okay to do the same in a book to make conversations more realistic? Please answer ASAP.

Reaction score
If your characters would say it, you write it.

Today's simple answer to a simple question was brought to you by scarletpeaches.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a million. You have been a big help.

weatherfield

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Writerdog,

I have a feeling that people are going to be all over the place on this one. All kinds of arguments have been made both against and in defense of profanity in YA. My own idea on the subject is that moderation is important. What I mean is, I wouldn't have my characters using obscenities quite as fluently as teenagers do in real life, but I would definitely use them in heightened situations, altercations, etc., because to me, that reads authentically. I grew up in a blue-collar family, in a blue-collar neighborhood, and no one worried too much about the tender ears of the children, if you know what it mean, but in writing, I think too much profanity can lose its power and start to seem redundant. You want your dialogue to be able to carry a lot of weight. I would say, use profanity within reason, so it doesn't start to weaken the lines instead of shore them up.

I don't know if that helps, but I'm sure others will weigh in.
w

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now, get out there and start fuckin' writing!

Reaction score
Anyone who swears like that is an utter bastard and deserves to have his shitting face kicked in, you arsehole!

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Writerdog,

I have a feeling that people are going to be all over the place on this one. All kinds of arguments have been made both against and in defense of profanity in YA. My own idea on the subject is that moderation is important. What I mean is, I wouldn't have my characters using obscenities quite as fluently as teenagers do in real life, but I would definitely use them in heightened situations, altercations, etc., because to me, that reads authentically. I grew up in a blue-collar family, in a blue-collar neighborhood, and no one worried too much about the tender ears of the children, if you know what it mean, but in writing, I think too much profanity can lose its power and start to seem redundant. You want your dialogue to be able to carry a lot of weight. I would say, use profanity within reason, so it doesn't start to weaken the lines instead of shore them up.

I don't know if that helps, but I'm sure others will weigh in.
w

Yeah. I'm not just throwing curse words all over the place. Just using phrases such as dip shit and the like. I might let a loose one slip in at times, but I am not writing scenes that go "You fucking asswhole! I would not want my children in the presents of mother fucking bitches like you." That is way too much. I even think that's over the top in real life, but I used it here to stage a point. And as a side note to Rich. I am writing. I put a curse word in, then began questioning this action. I wanted others opinions as to wheather or not what I did was okay.

Last edited:

elf_friend39

loves elves and fairies :)
Registered
Reaction score
Then...perhaps we should consider the question: are young adults actually encouraged to swear by reading it in books?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I sort of doubt it. I think the point of adding swearing is that it emphasizes the reality of a dialouge. A teenager whose society is anything like the one dipicted in the novel should find that the swearing fits right in, and naturally skip over it.

The point is, I think, to add swearing when it makes the text more natural. You don't add it for shock value, and therefore no teenager is going to learn new dirty words from a well-peppered novel.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree with this. It's a shame, but I think anymore, teens would almost expect to find swearing in their novels--seeing as how it's everywhere else and all.
Thanks. It is refreshing to have someone back me.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The answer is, 'be honest'. If your character swears, if it's dishonest NOT to have her swear... well, don't lie to your readers.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I have mild cursing in the YA novel my agent is shopping around. She made no comments or complaints about it.

I say do what feels right for the story.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would think about whether or not your book is YA and the marketability of it being in schools...just something to consider when using a lot of profanity.
My 2cents and hugs Writer :)

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I would think about whether or not your book is YA and the marketability of it being in schools...just something to consider when using a lot of profanity.

It's not a lot. Just typical teenspeak.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score

I wouldn't necessary view being banned from a school as a minus...there's no better way to get publicity.

weatherfield

Registered
Reaction score
And I'll go ahead and add that I wouldn't necessarily view profanity as a reason to be banned from schools (this from a girl who had Holden Caulfield's discourse on the F-word taped to the inside of her locker door, so take it for what it's worth).

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
My school also has Banned Book Month; we have banned books in the library all year, but for a month they go on display and we're all encouraged to check them out, and all the reasons the books were banned are posted proudly beside them.

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
I found a play I wrote at fifteen (long, long time ago) at a time when alternative comedy was tearing through the UK and "fuck" was the trendiest word in town. The play involved my friends and was pretty much a transcript of how they talked. It's very funny to read now as it shows just how OTT we were, but as dialogue, in a story, it would be a real pain to read as it would get in the way of the story and it would become tedious very, very quickly.

If your goal is to show emotion - esp. anger - then it will only really work if it contrasts with other characters who don't swear. Having all sides swear will cancel each other out.

It can be very effictive if used sparingly, but can also appear as lazy writing if every other line is peppered with it, and not just in YA, but equally in adult fiction, especially crime and thrillers.

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
ps - glad to see the swearing filter has been taken off this site. We are, after all, writers, so we should be allowed to use all the tools in our kit.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
ps - glad to see the swearing filter has been taken off this site. We are, after all, writers, so we should be allowed to use all the tools in our kit.

Yeah, seriously. It was liberating.

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
When did that happen? I've had a quick scan of the boards and can't see any announcements. I think I might spend more time on here now that's gone. Not because I love swearing - I just don't think we should be sensored on a writing board - especially in the Young Adult section where it's a subject that comes up again and again. How can we say it's okay to swear in our books if we can't on a discussion forum?

Well done whoever pulled the plug. (I really feel like testing the limits now :))

Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.