You actually read the labels?

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
At dinner yesterday, I watched my aunt go through all of her cabinets to compose the :perfect" meal. Low calories, low sodium, low sat. fats, no trans fat, no higgonphiloglamaihystamineporchikulgivensday additives, you know the scene. She cooked this HUGE feast, containing everything everyone could ever want, and it looked wonderful. ANDDDDDDDDD, it was "healthy". I took a bite, and it tasted like complete crap. So, I shoved the food down quickly (not allowed to waste anything), fed most of it to the dog (dog's gotta eat too) and loaded up on a big old bowl of ice cream. She started lecturing me about how unhealthy ice cream and sweets were, yadda yadda meteorites and rabid monkeys or something.

But now I'm beginning to think about it a little. Everyone doing the healthy dieting thing is skinny or getting there quickly. While I'm currently losing a good bit of weight, I'm doing it all by just exercising( I don't care so much about skinny I am, just so long as I retain a somewhat feminine figure and don't look like a dumpling). I'm eating whatever I want to, really. I'm still losing a good bit of weight (almost 5 lbs a week, and I've gone down 2-3 pants sizes, from exercise alone) but imagine how much more I could be losing if I watched what I eat, right?

I decided to try it yesterday and today. When I woke up, I had plain oatmeal. Yum? For lunch, I had a salad (ok, I do really love salads. Lots of spinach!), and for dinner I had this weird nutrisystem whatchacallit thing that my aunt gave me to try and a yogurt. I was feeling good- nice and energetic and healthy and wow!

So today I stuffed down a candy bar and chips and dip for breakfast. To be honest, I feel even better than I did yesterday (and my belt needs to be tightened again!) :D

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
When I was younger, I could eat anything and not gain weight. I exercised A LOT - mostly bicycling. 30-35 miles a day during the week and 50-75 miles a day during the weekend. During the summer I had to eat 4-5 meals just to keep some weight on me....

Now...I'm older (not OLD!), but I don't have the time to do all that exercising, so I really do have to watch what I eat because it's fairly easy for me to gain weight now. Plus...if I do say so myself...I'm a fairly good cook. I try to eat 'healthy' most of the time because my cholesterol is high (mostly due to genetics), but I try to find a way to make my healthy meals flavorful. I think that's where some people go wrong. They make all this healthy food and sacrifice taste. It's much, much harder to stay on a 'healthy' diet when you dread everything you eat (and it tastes like you're chewing on cardboard).

Good luck with your dieting/exercising/weight loss goals.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I read the labels obsessively. You don't really know what's in there until you do. Some of those "healthy" foods have no nutritional value and tons of sugar and still taste like crap. Better off with fresh meats and veggies. Read those labels, my dear.

And you can eat anything you want and lose weight. It's all about HOW MUCH you eat of stuff.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read every label, unless I've already read it and know what's in there, but it's for food allergies.

Thanks to those tiny little microscopic labels, I need reading glasses to do it now!

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
When I was younger, I could eat anything and not gain weight. I exercised A LOT - mostly bicycling. 30-35 miles a day during the week and 50-75 miles a day during the weekend. During the summer I had to eat 4-5 meals just to keep some weight on me....
I wish I was like that as a kid. I would have gone through a lesser hell.... I was skinny until about the age of 6, had my tonsils taken out, gained a LOT of weight, hit puberty, gained more weight, and now these past two years it's been melting off like hot butter. Cha-ching!

While I'm happy that I'm losing the weight so easily, I'm still unhappy with my boobs. I don't care about my weight that much, because so long as your boobs are big enough to counter it, it's fine. But no, I get stuck with the stereotypical-female-car-mechanic-sized chest. *sigh*

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, I read the labels obsessively. You don't really know what's in there until you do. Some of those "healthy" foods have no nutritional value and tons of sugar and still taste like crap. Better off with fresh meats and veggies. Read those labels, my dear.
I love fresh food. I always get into trouble for eating the food off the shelves at grocery stores, though. I figure that if I eat something that's not fresh, I'm gonna get screwed somehow, so why bother reading it? It'll just out a damper on your day.
Soccer Mom said:
And you can eat anything you want and lose weight. It's all about HOW MUCH you eat of stuff.
It's about how much of it, huh? Ok cool.... So, I was thinking a tub of ice cream for lunch, then a 12 pack of twinkies for dinner. Sound good? :D

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I
While I'm happy that I'm losing the weight so easily, I'm still unhappy with my boobs. I don't care about my weight that much, because so long as your boobs are big enough to counter it, it's fine. But no, I get stuck with the stereotypical-female-car-mechanic-sized chest. *sigh*

You know, the thing is, somewhere there is a guy out there ...(several probably...my guess is 300 million of them...but just not all in your town. Probaby 200 million of them are in China and at least 40,000 are in countries you couldn't show your boobs in anyway so.....)

Anyway there are many guys out there who are looking for boobs ( and the perfect girl to go with them) which are just like yours.

So stop coming down hard on the twins. Lift them up and celebrate them, and you will eventually find the perfect guy to worship them just as they are.
(Yes, I realize that you'll have to beat the pulp out of a few unappreciative jokers, at first, but that is what makes dating fun....)

(Oh god, everone is staring at me again. Tsuki..go back to school before I get you in trouble...)

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You know, the thing is, somewhere there is a guy out there ...(several probably...my guess is 300 million of them...but just not all in your town. Probaby 200 million of them are in China and at least 40,000 are in countries you couldn't show your boobs in anyway so.....)

Anyway there are many guys out there who are looking for boobs ( and the perfect girl to go with them) which are just like yours.

So stop coming down hard on the twins. Lift them up and celebrate them, and you will eventually find the perfect guy to worship them just as they are.
(Yes, I realize that you'll have to beat the pulp out of a few unappreciative jokers, at first, but that is what makes dating fun....)

(Oh god, everone is staring at me again. Tsuki..go back to school before I get you in trouble...)
Despite my anything-but-a-D-sized boobs, I have no problems getting guys. I just hold a knife to their throat and there's dinner and nooky. Plus, smaller boobs make it easier to chase people down.

I can't go back to school, Jay. They gave me the boot, so I've had the luxury of staying home for over a year and doing nothing at all. Technically, I'm still passing highschool. :D

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Ok.

Shhhh.... just act like you're going to school so they don't think I'm trying to warp your mind... you can hang out at the bar later.... Shhhh

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh Ok.

Shhhh.... just act like you're going to school so they don't think I'm trying to warp your mind... you can hang out at the bar later.... Shhhh

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! The corner bar or the sleazy bar? both are fine, but I only have a dollar and I can't remember which one hosts Nickel Shot Night on Monday....

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
There's nothing like a little garlic powder to zest things up (not ice cream!), and there's nothing wrong with pepper! Lots of flavour in olive oil.

You can still use salt and sugar and stuff when making up fresh food instead of prepackaged. You just have more control over the amount. I can't believe how much sodium is packed into one frozen breaded chicken breast!

Love your boobs. The smaller don't bounce when you're running after the guys, and they won't give you two black eyes.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
There's nothing like a little garlic powder to zest things up (not ice cream!), and there's nothing wrong with pepper! Lots of flavour in olive oil.

You can still use salt and sugar and stuff when making up fresh food instead of prepackaged. You just have more control over the amount. I can't believe how much sodium is packed into one frozen breaded chicken breast!

Love your boobs. The smaller don't bounce when you're running after the guys, and they won't give you two black eyes.

Speaking of pepper, I wanted a mango-pepper sorbet recipe that I forgot to get ahold of. It sounds so strange that I really want to try it....

Small boobs rock. But big boobs rock way more. With bigger boobs, I won't get cramps in my hands when I'm trying to suffocate someone. :D

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing like a little garlic powder to zest things up (not ice cream!)

You've obviously never been to Gilroy, Ca. We have the Garlic Festival annually since we are the Garlic Capitol of the World (tm). There's everything from garlic fries (drool) to garlic ice cream (free samples! It's really not bad.)

Anyway, I used to eat whatever I wanted, and not gain any weight. I used to drink about 5 cans of soda a day, eat a can of chili with a half pound of cheese, and of course, doughnuts for breakfast. This was pretty much daily. My boyfriend called me "anorexia girl" because I was so thin. (Yes, I dumped him for it.)

Now... I'm pregnant, eating whatever I want, and am getting worried because after the initial 10 lbs, I STILL am not gaining weight. (Plus half of that ten pounds took my middle-C's up to high D's. :()My doctor's not worried, so I refuse to stress out about it.

As a kid I used to be a Tae Kwon Do junior olympian, so I had workouts from hell about 7 hours a week, but now I just go rock climbing a couple times a week. I also eat healthier than ever, but it's because I want to, not because I am watching anything. I hate frozen food, and love to cook, so things are always much healthier than prepared food in the stores. This week I made lasagna, chicken apple crepes, nachos (meat, beans, tomatoes, olives, and a bit of cheese on top), and will be breading and baking chicken for dinner tonight.

Do you think I rambled on long enough, yet?

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
But big boobs rock way more. With bigger boobs, I won't get cramps in my hands when I'm trying to suffocate someone. :D

They really have to find a way to use that killing method in a CSI episode.....

:)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I read the labels on EVERYTHING. Most of what I eat is unprocessed -- organic, if it's available -- so a lot of it doesn't have a label (ie., produce), but if there's a label to be read, I read it. I'm quite allergic to MSG, which is in damn near everything...plus I'm just a health nut.

And my food tastes GOOD. LOL I'll never get why people cook healthy and insist it must be bland. You can still add herbs, natural seasonings, etc.

Last week, I made a chicken casserole thingy (yes, I DID cook, and i DID invent the recipe! LOL So proud...), that had tofu, celery, mushrooms, coconut oil (which IS healthy), etc etc etc...in other words, it was healthy as the day is long. My guests LOVED it. Healthy does not HAVE to taste bad. LOL

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
hell yes tsuki, eat what you want man.

yesterday morning, i woke up, did 25 press-ups (it's all i can manage), went workin with my pop, carrying a lot a lot of heavy gear and setting up. tough work. went to a friends birthday lunch at a buffet, ate so much my stomach hurt (i mean mountains of food (i didn't realise the starters table was the starters table, and got a mountain of that at the beginning, and still got a mountain of main courses), then played tip rugby half an hour later, and worked with my pop again til about 9.

that was a good day. kissed a girl too.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They really have to find a way to use that killing method in a CSI episode.....

:)

I am not going to say anything about this, I really am NOT....

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to read labels. I do most of the grocery shopping and my lover/husband/boyfriend/roommate/significant other/whatever is on a low-sodium diet by doctor's order. One time I checked the label on a prepackaged dinner and found one serving had 72% of the RDA of sodium. :Jaw:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's all about moderation. And i wonder what your Aunt made that didn't taste good? THere is a lot of "health" food out there that tastes like cardboard, and a lot of good food that is good in moderation. I think it should be REAL, like butter over margerine. I am dubious of man made stuff. Isay that, but I'm sure I eat a lot. But I am trying. Any way, all things in moderation.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of yummy foods that are healthy. Lantern Jack fixes me a lot of chunky soups, which are not on delicious, but low in fat and calories and high in good stuff. Doing the acting thing, and lately a lot of modeling, I do try to eat healthy. It's not just good for my shape, but my skin, and energy level. And you can't beat exercise.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I tend to read labels often, as you never know whats in them these days. Most food from the supermarket has additional additives (chemicals more like) also i've noticed half the fruit there is purposely set grown. (they look too perfect and the seed isn't where it should be)

I have always enjoyed natural foods - fruits, vegetables, fish etc... It is rare to actually find real tasty food these days when, half of it is tampered with before it gets into the supermarket

I am going to have my own farm again someday and grow everything myself. :D Fun stuff