For Sarina: May I Suggest

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're all delighted at every member's new baby, but since Jenna started this community where so many of us thrive, I hope we can do something special for Sarina, who was born March 2. (Like, if you've just emerged from under a rock, or perhaps solitary.)

I suggest that we all find something dated March 2, 2007 and find a way to get it to Jenna at our own expense. (Do we have a volunteer collection point staffed by someone who might then box it all up and send it on to Jenna?) Possibilities include
  • The front page or section of your local paper, wherever in the world 'local' happens to be
  • Movie listings for March 2
  • The comics page
  • TV Guide's daily listings, or the local paper's
  • Shiny coins dated 2007, from any nation
  • Advice column(s) for the day
  • Horoscope for the day
  • Your local want ads/classified ads
  • Any current magazine, from Time or Newsweek to Star to Glamour to Variety to Weekly World News, so long as it's not 'adult' in nature. It needn't be in English, BTW
  • Any silly fad item the kids (or grown-ups) are playing with where you are, so long as it's inexpensive
  • A sampling of postage stamps available where you live
  • Any other small thing that's tied to the day of Sarina's birth.
By the time she's nearing middle school, these things will seem interesting. When she's finishing high school, they'll be fascinating, almost like her own personal time capsule. And by the time she has her own family, I'm sure she'll see it as both her own treasure and evidence of how much so many people thought of her mom.

Maryn

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Ohhh, I like that idea, Maryn. I'll have to look for something for her when I'm not re-doing the munchkin's room. Today, I'm removing and boxing up a bunch of stuff that Piper's outgrown.

Does Sarina need any clothes by chance, Jenna? For right now I mean, and not for her time capsule doohickey.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Great idea, Maryn. I'll see what I can find. :)

A few collection points might be useful - particularly for those not in mainland US.

Last edited:

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First things first. Right now it's just a matter of Jenna & Co. dealing with Sabrina's eating, peeing, crapping and crying.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Any current magazine, from Time or Newsweek to Star to Glamour to Variety to Weekly World News, so long as it's not 'adult' in nature. It needn't be in English,
My current subscriptions meet one of those criteria....To be safe, I'll just hang on to them.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll see what I can find, Maryn. Great idea!

Roses are red
Violets are too.
The biggest congrats
To Jenna, Anthony & Sarina thru & thru!

YAYAYAYAYA! :Cake:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll look too Maryn, Great idea! :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not at ease giving out someone else's address, so for the time being, how about if you just hang onto it?

Maryn, who hasn't yet attacked the stack of newspapers

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful idea, Maryn.

I would be happy to volunteer as a collection & forwarding point for peeps in western Canada. I live near Calgary, Alberta.

Like Maryn says, for now we can gather stuff up. When the time comes, I will give my snail mail addy privately to individuals who would like to send stuff through me.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I definately have something I can send. I can send my Lifestyles section from Friday. Just let me know where and when.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see other people like this idea. My parents hung onto several old papers and magazines from around the time of our kids' births, and they love looking through them every so often.

Thanks, ChunkyC, for volunteering as collector.

So far, I think we have only US and Canadians. I'd hoped Sarina would receive a smattering of foreign-language papers or magazines, plus some coins. Anybody?

Maryn

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll definitely include a copy of the newspaper with my column. It's a weekly, so it won't be the day of her birthday, but I can send the one that comes out tomorrow, which will be the first one after Sarina's birth.

I hope Jenna and Anthony have a big basement, lol!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I could find some brand new coins from this year - lots of guys I work with collect shiny new coins.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
So far, I think we have only US and Canadians. I'd hoped Sarina would receive a smattering of foreign-language papers or magazines, plus some coins. Anybody?

Maryn

I'm in. That's at least one Limey rag.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't throw out the ticket from the play I went to - so I'll send that, with a happy-birthday note on the back!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
My dad's birthday is March 2, so I had him cremated and am mailing the ashes to Sarina.

Mom's pissed, though, because he wasn't quite dead yet.