Favorite Movies and TV Shows?

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd toss out a thread for discussion of two of the main non-print avenues for Westerns - the big and small screen. I'll list mine in no particular order, and amplify reasons if the discussion takes off. This is also the short list.

Movies
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
High Plains Drifter
Tombstone
For a Few Dollars More
Unforgiven
Outlaw Jose Wales
Young Guns (only the first one, not the second)
Major Dundee
High Noon
The Long Riders

TV Shows
Gunsmoke
Wild, Wild West
Bordertown
Bonanza (more my 'fond memories of youth' vote)
Lone Ranger (see above for the reason)

There are a few others as well, but some of them were only good for a season or two and then changes in actors, directors, and/or writers wrecked them for me. The series I list above are the only ones that (to me) remained more or less consistent throughout their runs.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Movies
The good, the bad and the ugly (my second most favourite film of all time.)
The Bandeleros
Jeremiah Johnson
The unforgiven
Once upon a time in the West
Fistful of dynamite
Young guns 2
Rio bravo

Loads of other westerns I like; can't think of them at the moment though.

Elodie

Last edited:

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Well here's a tv show or three that you all probably don't remember:

Wagon Train

Rawhide

Have gun, will travel (Paladin)

Festus

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Have Gun, Will Travel - one of my favorites. Paladin, Paladin ... I also liked Bonanza, not as much Gunsmoke (liked it better in the earlier years), and probably pretty stagey if I watched it now, but I loved Zorro.

Movies - And again Zorro, all of the Hopalong Cassidy movies (remember, I was a kid), How the West Was Won, San Francisco (not typical Western), and I'll have to think of what else. I'll second Cav Guy on Tombstone and She Wore a Yellow Ribon. Puma

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Movies:
Rio Bravo
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp (for the historical accuracy -- Tombstone is a better MOVIE)
Serenity
Maverick
The Long Riders
Silverado
Winchester 77 (the last 2/3rds only -- the problem with doing a lot of research into a time period is that you can't watch certain movies or scenes without screaming at the TV; such is the case for the first 1/3 of Winchester 77)

TV Shows:
Wild, Wild West
Maverick
The Magnificent Seven
Alias Smith & Jones

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
Movies:

Unforgiven

The Magnificent Seven
(No realism - and The Seven Samurai was much better).

A Fistful of Dollars

For a Few Dollars More

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

(Not realistic, but lots of drama, brilliant music and a great trilogy).

Once Upon a Time in the West

(No realism yet again, but love the over the top and incredibly slow opening).

There are others, but not sure of the names. Remember one where the Apaches (I think) were depicted as the bad guys and the good guys came across the burnt and tortured half-dead body of some poor soul. The Apaches did the brutality. The good guys shot him out of mercy. One of the good guys might have been part-Apache and acting as the guide (of course!) and they asked him why his people do this. I think he responded with something about "control".

TV Shows:

We had Rawhide, Lone Ranger, Maverick, Bonanza in the U.K. but I never really got into them. They were very good and very popular, but I preferred movies.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
I figure it'll draw screams of outrage, but I really do like the visual aspects of Paint Your Wagon for conveying the rough edges of the American Outback, in the same way the very first movie named Star Wars showed a high-tech vision that wasn't all straight lines & polished chrome & no grit in the corners. I wish more Westerns didn't look so much like an Esquire fashion shoot.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I enjoyed Paint Your Wagon, too. I liked the songs and we were very into Clint Eastwood when I was growing up, so we never missed any of his movies.

Mr. Jinx

Registered
Reaction score
I have a few favorites too. Most of the movies have already been mentioned (Unforgiven, High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josey Wales, Silverado) and TV shows (Wild Wild West and Have Gun Will Travel).

There were three though that I found memorable that I wanted to mention.

The first was =Man in the Wilderness= where Richard Harris is left for dead after being attacked by a bear. I was a kid when I saw it but it left a real impression on me about survivial. Also, the sort of nemesis is trying to move ship through the mountians on wagons if I remember right. I should really track it down and see it again.

Another one was =Ravenous=. It was pretty bloody but I found myself intrigued by the application of Wendigo Psychosis to a western frontier format. It had a snippit of dialogue that I really liked too when one of the characters remarked: "Its lonely being a cannibal. It's tough making friends."

The last was one I stumbled on during a lazy Saturday afternoon (back when I still had those). It was =White Comanche= staring William Shatner. I remember it was pretty over the top but that actually made it rather fun to watch.

--Dev

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
William Shatner = Over The Top

(He was one of my gramma's 2 faves. Charles Bronson was the other. My mother adored Clint Eastwood. Hence, I've seen EVERY Eastwood, Bronson and, sadly, Shatner flick available. Many more than once.)

Speaking of Bronson (were we?), From Noon to Three is great, for the way it shows how easily rampant mythology can spread.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually liked Pale Rider a lot, although it's certainly not a classic western. There's a lot of old western movies I like.

TV:
The Virginian (especially when Lee J. Cobb was on it)
Lawman (for special reasons, I actually have videos of a number of episodes)
The Rifleman (my first BB gun was a copy of the Winchester 1894 used on the show . . . now I have a 30-30 Model 1894. If I'm not mistaken, that model wouldn't have fit in with the timeline of the show)

Last edited:

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Quigley Down Under and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

TV would have to be Wild Wild West and Lone Ranger for all those nostalgic reasons.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Now comes the big question... :D

Do you think these films and TV shows had any influence your writing?

Did you ever take characters, storylines & themes, shake 'em up, and make 'em your own? At the very least, did these films and series help you mentally visualize settings?

I don't necessarily mean writing Western fiction. Any genre.

Don't feel obliged to answer, I'm just curious. This isn't an I.Q. test or anything. :)

-Derek

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I would say some of mine did in that they showed me that you could write from a more historical standpoint. While Eastwood's Westerns aren't necessarily "historical," they do show a more gritty side of the West. "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" stayed pretty close to the reality of Frontier service, and Gunsmoke did go after some fairly serious issues (for the day, at least, and especially during the black and white period...I'm not as big a fan of the color episodes).

As far as visualizing settings goes, I was doing that with history reading well before I started watching this stuff, so it didn't have a huge impact.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
The Magnificent Seven TV show is the reason I started writing. And the reason I started researching the Old West. But I have to assume that all the earlier influences were there, it just took the one "thing" to push me over the edge, if you will.

Mr. Jinx

Registered
Reaction score
The show Wild West Tech is the one I find inspirational. Every episode is not perfect and much of the humor is weak but after watching even a re-run it gets me in the mood to write.

For me though it was reading King's book The Gunslinger that pushed me over into reading westerns. I always like the genre but after reading that book I realized I liked the western part more than the supernatural part, which was weird for me at the time.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Paint Your Wagon

I figure it'll draw screams of outrage, but I really do like the visual aspects of Paint Your Wagon for conveying the rough edges of the American Outback, in the same way the very first movie named Star Wars showed a high-tech vision that wasn't all straight lines & polished chrome & no grit in the corners. I wish more Westerns didn't look so much like an Esquire fashion shoot.

I loved Paint Your Wagon. I thought it was a great movie with great acting, and a highly original story.
Of course, I also loved They Call Me Trinity, and They Still Call Me Trinity. You can now download the first at a few internet sites here and there.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The first was =Man in the Wilderness= where Richard Harris is left for dead after being attacked by a bear. I was a kid when I saw it but it left a real impression on me about survivial. Also, the sort of nemesis is trying to move ship through the mountians on wagons if I remember right. I should really track it down and see it again.

--Dev

Very good movie, and actually based on a true story. Hugh Glass was mauled by a bear, and Jim Bridger and John Fitzgerald abandoned him before he died. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Resurrecting this ol' thread ...

The kids have discovered "Lone Ranger" and "The Rifleman." I always liked "True Grit" because as a kid I so identified with the little girl in the story. Not enough to remember her name, though ;) I always liked "Wild, Wild West" but at least part of it was because of the theme song.

Now that you mention "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" I can't get the song out of my head. My dad used to sing an updated version where "she wore it for her airman who was far, far away ..."

Best regards,
Ann

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Matty was the girl in True Grit.

When I was a kid, in the UK, my gran's favourite Western show was the one starring Barbara Stanwick (The Big Country?). I preferred The Virginian, and later Alias Smith and Jones and The High Chapperal.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Miss Barbara Stanwyck starred in The Big Valley with Lee Majors and Linda Evans. ;)

The Big Country is probably my favorite Western movie, if I haven't mentioned this 100 times already.

-Derek

stc

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody's mentioned Anthony Mann's westerns yet?

If you haven't seen these, get 'em--they're must-see movies, among the finest westerns ever made. Outstanding writing and direction, featuring the great (USAF Brig. General) James Stewart. Not as iconic as Duke Wayne, but a more versatile actor:

Winchester '73
The Naked Spur
The Man from Laramie
Bend of the River
The Far Country

...and this one with Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins:
The Tin Star

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Why haven't I posted in this thread yet? Will wonders never cease?

More to the point, why has no-one mentioned Firefly yet?
It's often described a 'space western' and there are a couple of points to that:
Firstly, the terra-formed planets in Mankinds new home galaxy can be pretty rustic. The government builds planets not roads, so on the border worlds... well, they're like the towns in any western you care to mention.
More importantly is the very Western themes that run through the show.
Just in case you haven't seen it.

Sad to say, but for my generation (feel old?) that's about the only western TV show. A sad comment on the genre mayhaps.

In terms of films, well:
Unforgiven (How it should be done)
The Spaghetti Westerns (the birth of the gritty western?)
The Quick and the dead (Throw western cliches into a pot and simmer gently for 90 minutes.)
Maverick (nice and light, but with some good performances)
Tombstone (Of Course)
Open Range (Fantastic, without making an epic deal of it)
Pale Rider (Mildly different. Also gave us a western stereotype that has served the videogame industry well)
Blazing Saddles (No, Really)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (Like Firefly, but with Clint Eastwood)

THat'll about do it for now. I'm sure more'll occur to me as time goes on.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm just saying, by a quirk of time and fate I watched Robert Taylor in Billy the Kid yesterday, holey moley what a dire film, Taylor seemed badly miscast and wooden in the lead role, and not one scene stood out as memorable in terms of character interplay, dialogue or action. It can't hold a candle to Peckinpah's must-see Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. Carry on.

-Derek