• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Brontoscorpio

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You can tell when I've been watching the Discovery channels, because I wind up babbling happily in posts like this...

Bronotoscorpio Anglicus, whose smaller ancestor was the first creature to develop "eyes," which it had multi-faceted on top of its head. It was sort of like a modern day scorpion, except it was huge.

There was another version of it, a later evolutionary step (they say) that was over ten feet long, but I didn't catch the name properly and thus wasn't able to do any further reading on it.

Here's some halfway useful information from Wikipedia about the creature.

Honestly, I've always thought that if you need to create an alien race for your sci-fi novel, you could do a lot worse than to look underwater, whether in the far past or int he present. Especially deep sea creatures. I knwo we've talked about my fascination with marine biology before, though. This is just more of that... :)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
AND, because of its semi-lung sacs (more like absorbent sponges that passively brought in air) they were the first creatures that could make it onto land.

BUT, because of their small and passive lungs, they had to shrink and eventually fell prey to the fish (who evolved into alligator like things) who they had hunted before.

And then, those very same fish got into trouble if they went back into the water, because there were sharks.

....who had even more trouble than any of the others, because the sharks were hunted by Hyneria.

Hyneria.jpg

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Peedee, a Brontoscorpio?

I'd go with Brontoscorpion.

My artist's rendition follows:

brontoscorpion.jpg

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Saw the program Pete-funny I was thinking as I was watching-hope Pete is watching this-lot of food for monsters inc.-Dave

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Terri is writing Dorkosaurous as we rap!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It was a great program.

I'm such a loser. I sit there and watch these shows with a notebook and pen, and when they name a creature (or a time period, or a nebula, or a theory, or a discovery, or whatever....) I write it down and the go read everything I can find online about it.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Yah you are a loser Pete-after all who the hell needs to do research-not us genius writers-imagination and all that? Actually referring to that silly so-called newby post where the dude thought he was pullin the wool over our eyes-eyes? what eyes. The one Dawno shut down. Seriously think it is admirable that you do what you do-wish I knew why that was losing?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Yah you are a loser Pete-after all who the hell needs to do research-not us genius writers-imagination and all that? Actually referring to that silly so-called newby post where the dude thought he was pullin the wool over our eyes-eyes? what eyes. The one Dawno shut down. Seriously think it is admirable that you do what you do-wish I knew why that was losing?

And I wish I knew where your periods went. ;)

I don't know which Newbieyou mean, I'm afraid. I probably missed that one.

And evne if it makes me the biggest loser everywhere, I'm not stopping. It's way too much fun reading all this stuff. I'm reading about supermassive black holes right now.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Gone to graveyards every one-so you are not a loser-and it is way too much fun and I am a hyphen junkie as you sit in front of the box gathering nuts in May-I hyphenate-quick gimme my inhaler. (See period for Mr. Dee) Super black holes with Strings attached?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
thanks for the period. I'll keep it with me always. :D

I'm reading about the process of discovering that there are supermassive black holes not only at the hearts of neighboring galaxies and clusters, but at the heart of the Milky Way too. Which is....a bit alarming.

But this is probably material for a whole new science thread!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Could be but if we could fly into one without getting triple whamy squashed-now that is not new but definately interesting. By the by-the old Milky Way is marginally larger then its namesake-or is that the other way round?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread