...in which I bemoan change and unfairly whine about my life.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Okay, change sucks. And I don't mean loose change; I mean major changes in one's life, or something very much like that.

Here I am, happily married father of two with an exceedingly successful wife, with a flexible schedule that allows me to post here and feed my aspirations to be a writer, with bright, healthy children, with nary a care in the world and what am I doing? Whining. That's right, I'm whining.

About what, you ask? Well here it is: my wife has managed to get herself pregnant, again. Just when I thought I knew who we were and where we were going, just when the kids were getting old enough (6 and 10) to allow a greater variety of activities, just when I thought I had the future mapped out, BAM! Everything changes. And of course, we've given away or sold all our baby stuff. And our house was pretty much set up for everyone.

Now, there is some good news: everything looks fine with the pregnancy. My wife is 15 weeks in and we've had the tests recommended by her doctor that show the fetus is healthy and with no apparent problems (my wife is 40, so we had a few concerns). And we do have a room to make into the nursery. And we can afford this. And we love each other, our children, and the coming child. And our children are thrilled.

But still...

I guess in the end, it's all my fault for being so damn virile.

*sigh*

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, life is like that sometimes, but in two years you'll looked back and wouldn't change a damn thing.

Besides, it's my birthday . . . can I whine too? :) Better yet, what about a glass of wine?!

Oh, and congratulations!

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
You know there's a solution if you really don't want kids, dontcha?

Congratulations!

And woman can and do have healthy babies in their 40's.* :)

*the women being in their 40's, not the babies... that would just be silly.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations. About a year ago, we decided we were just going to let Tessa be an only child, and we gave away/sold quite a bit of our baby stuff. Now, we've changed our minds.

Hmm, it seems like pregnancy is spreading around the cooler. Maybe it'll be my turn next.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I"'ll take the kid. I gotta an empty nest here.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
my wife has managed to get herself pregnant, again.

How in the hell did that happen?!

But seriously, Rob, I hear you. I'd feel the same way and I'd feel bad for feeling it. It'll be okay, but you're allowed your pout.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Congratulations!

You could look at the whole experience as writing material and the opportunity to explore new writing markets..........does that cheer you up?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, people. I've known about this for about a month--we told the kids and our families today (wanted to know everything was okay, first)--and I've been struggling with it, believe it or not.

If I've seemed unusually sarcastic or arrogant, maybe this is why...or maybe not. :D

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, Rob, totally believeable.

Children are indeed a blessing and a joy. But a lot of work, and heartache, and they do turn one's life upsidedown.

Don't get me wrong--I love all my kids, and Emmory is a precious little thing to me. But there are times I watch as my mind invariably goes to what I'd be doing if I didn't have a baby in the house, with both of the older ones in preschool now.

But if I were you, I wouldn't be drinking at the water cooler, anymore. There has to be something in it.

Me? I had myself, um, taken care of. There's only a veryslim chance I can get pregnant, now. I don't mind getting rid of the baby stuff, but I'm afraid of not hanging on to my favorite maternity shirt. Like getting rid of it would be tempting fate.

And get yourself to a urologist, before she has that baby! Else your recovery will get overshadowed by that newborn and taking care of your wife. Hey, do I hear the sound of a scalpel being sharpened?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, it only takes, what, $250,000 to raise a kid through college age.

Oh. I'm not helping, am I?

;-)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Then, forget the Urologist. Get thee to a Veterinarian.
Actually, I have this theory that you can maybe help me with, Haggis.

I'm fairly certain that Jenna became pregnant on the day I sent her a lovely rep point. I fear that I may be bringing about all these pregnancies from my repping. So I'll send you a rep point right now, then you run out and get one of those home pregnancy tests and we'll see if I'm right...

:tongue

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Could be worse.

Could be raining!

Congratulations, Robeieio.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Congratulations. About a year ago, we decided we were just going to let Tessa be an only child, and we gave away/sold quite a bit of our baby stuff. Now, we've changed our minds.

Hmm, it seems like pregnancy is spreading around the cooler. Maybe it'll be my turn next.

If there's something in the water on this cooler, could someone pass it my way??? My husband and I have been trying for over 3 years.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on being with child...

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Every witty reply I conjure up is just smutty, so I'll just say, "Congratulations, Rob!"

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I have this theory that you can maybe help me with, Haggis.

I'm fairly certain that Jenna became pregnant on the day I sent her a lovely rep point. I fear that I may be bringing about all these pregnancies from my repping. So I'll send you a rep point right now, then you run out and get one of those home pregnancy tests and we'll see if I'm right...

:tongue

I feel so cheap.

:D