What Creatures are in your Fantasy/Science Fiction Books?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPSpideyCJ

Registered
Reaction score
.... Mine has so far:

Dragons,
Elves,
Humans,
Goblins,
Uloogians, (made-up),
Wolves,
Giants,
Srhilian, (made up),
Ogres,
Trolls,
Cyclops,
Sprites,
Dwarves,
Wizards,
Unicorns,
Pheonix,
Centaurs,
Gargoyles,
Griffins,
Hydras,
Genies,
Minotaurs,
Ghosts.

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
I got one sentient computer network and one android thingy with a biological brain.

The android thingy is probably some sort of military infiltration device, since it takes the brain out of a living creature, then patterns itself to look like that creature. In fact, it tortures and interrogates the brain in order to extract its personality and memories.

Somebody catches it in the process of transformation and it tells him it was created as an artificial body to keep the mind alive for centuries. Liar!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Just people in all their varied glory.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Human beings.

mmm. And some mosquitos, I think.

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
In my collected works I have included:

dragons
dinosaurs
psychic frogs
giant scorpions
lashing vines
two-headed bears
zombie wolves
giant black salamanders
anacondas
prehistoric sharks
goblins
merfolk
normal sharks
one giant octopus
shadow creatures
ghosts
doppelgangers
more dinosaurs
giant, burrowing grass snakes
rats
elves
dwarves
maybe another dinosaur or two
and humans.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
In one story, "One of Those Days" I have mages and vampires and werewolves. though, under the 'rules' I made up, werewolves are way cooler than vampires. But they're cooler than vampires in any circumstance.

Aliens. Deamons. Humains. Beastlings (part humain, part animal, always fun). Uhhh...more aliens? I don't know, each alien is a bit more complex than standard fantasy staple. In my two fantasys I didn't really like using elves and such, so I made up some races.

Lets see if I can remember what they were...there was the Kia, which were part lizards...then there were dragons, which could change into humain/dragon form. Then there was this one race who's name I can't remember, but they had four legs and were really mean.

Then in my other fantasy, I had magicals (they're humains with magical powers), Siltstalkers, which had no head and a massive mouth in their chest and lots and lots of teeth. Soulless, which only come out in the evening and morning, and they look like green fireflies, but if you let them get to close or fall asleep near one, they'll go up your nose and suck out your brains!

Then there was this one race that I invented that evolve when you change their enviroment. So you make the enviroment cold, and they adapt to the cold. Adapt AND grow, so they get bigger. And yes, I know that's practically unkillable, because killing things is just changing the enviroment. In the end I introduced guns that destroyed matter outright, releasing huge amounts of energy...so you still blew up the planet that the aliens were on...

Oh, the aliens had two weakness actually. First: They don't have sentince. They just react, which means Humains can just stay out of their way. Secondly: if they're left in an unchanged enviroment for too long, they revert to their most basic 'dorment' phase (which looks like black grit). Then if you do something stupid, like change the enviroment, then it wakes it up.

Those are the races I used that I can think of right now. And I'm glad to say that I've made MOST of them up myself. Or at least I think I did...

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
In one story, "One of Those Days" I have mages and vampires and werewolves. though, under the 'rules' I made up, werewolves are way cooler than vampires. But they're cooler than vampires in any circumstance.

Yeah. Werewolves and vampires fight. Werewolves win.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and some birds.

I put birds in.

To eat the mosquitos​

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
A mysterious species of apparently primitive and ancient cat, variously known as Qaemul cats, swamp cats, gate cats and companions of the Ancients. They have some unusual traits. They never stop growing, don't die of old age and can detect the flow of gate radiation. They don't compete well with newer constantly evolving animals and tend to starve to death as they out grow their nitch and aren't much brighter then ordinary cats.

Broche

Registered
Reaction score
At the moment I'm wikipedia-ing various mythologies to try and find some more obscure creatures. There's some really strange stuff, such as a chariot pulled by two mechanical boars (Norse mythology).

I also have gnomes, but not the happy types you get in gardens, more like rats really :p

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aliens, mostly.

The occasional human with an odd computer interface.

Most recently: A harpy, iguana, bottom feeder, octopus, cephalopod, and a parrot.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Mostly humans of my own invented ethnic varieties. Other than that there are a few critters (humanoid) of my own creation.

Moonchildren - short people, wide-faced, short lifespan, gifted with clairvoyance.

Fair Folk - I suppose the best description would be something between fairies and the undead.

Tuithnar - mostly human. They each can take one animal form, and tribes are separated by animals.

That's it, really. There's mention of a couple races that died out, but this took place before the beginning of the book.

Lady Esther

I can say the alphabet backwards!
Registered
Reaction score
humans of my own invented ethnic varieties...

Same for me. I made about 5 (or more) typical human races with their own languages, histories, and cultures. Other than that, I use typical pre-historic animals.

Ardellis

tortures make-believe people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
witchingwell.com
In my world there's a remnant of an old race (currently called the Cifsa, but that may change) that are distantly related to humans and don't look all that different. They're longer-lived and have a stronger sense of smell, and better night-vision and worse color-vision, because of the climate their ancestors lived in. They're closely enough related to humans that they can interbreed, but like mules the half-breeds are nearly always sterile.

Cifsa society is clan-based and matrilineal and the eldest daughter is expected to continue her mother's line. One of my characters is a half-breed who's also an eldest daughter, poor thing.

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
To name a few originals

Etherals

Obsids

Dar Kin

Sean

Everything else is either not sentient or not original, as in humans and elves and such. Not sure if Avian could be considered original if I made up the culture and such myself. Probably not.

Virtual_Space

Registered
Reaction score
Lets see, well Ive got humans in all forms. I have the ingmarians, which are like humans but with pitch black skin, pearly eyes and weak voices, they communicate through hand signals mostly except for those that have mastered talking. I also have the catri, which is a kind of primitive, medieval society made up of a kind of sentient water creature that shifts its shape. They exist only in small numbers though after a war with one of the main human civilizations. Thats all Ive got at the moment.

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
My current WIP has very few creatures, and has very little magic. Winged horses, swimming horses, and crossbreeds between animals are the majority. As well as a few obscure deformed creatures like 3 headed hippos and junk. I'm more of a sword and sorcery type of guy I guess.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Mostly humans and deity types, plus a race of demon warriors known as carvites. I do have fairies in my works though, and elves.

I like elves.

Status
Not open for further replies.