Not open for further replies.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
THIS THREAD WILL BE FULL OF SPOILERS!
(that means if you haven't read the Civil War series and you read this thread first, we'll give it all away. Thee be warned.)

Okay, so the comic reading population of AW: What did you think of the Civil War series, now that it's mostly all said and done?

What did you think of the ending? Of who won and lost? Of Who's apparently in prison?

In hindsight, was this 'event' a success, or a bit of a mess like "House of M" wound up being?

And is anyone else really annoyed that we're apparently going to plow right into World War Hulk something like ten minutes after Civil War has wrapped up? Seriously. Let's have some comics between events, huh?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
it wasnt bad, but this concept had the potential to be fantastic.

it all comes down to a poor explanation of the motives of the characters.

i had no clue what some of these heroes were thinking. the stamford tragedy happens, they want to register powers.

and im thinking: so what? in the real world they wouldve done that a long time ago. so it just seemed like a non-issue to me.

and then they had cap rebelling saying that superheroes shouldnt have to work for the govt, etc.

but they shouldve shown why that was a problem. they shouldve shown that those heroes who registered already were fighting in wars, or they were being forced to fight crime in ways they didnt want to.

that wouldve crystallized the divide and made cap's reasoning and fight much more logical.

the other huge problem was that marvel hyped this up w/ "who's side the are you on?" slogans, but the writer's were so clearly on cap's side. they made iron man such a prick that no fan would choose his side of the war.

it was just ridiculous to think that tony stark would get a bunch of psychopath villians to take down his friends.

absolutely ridiculous.

and it was idiotic how they said he cloned thor. a) as if that's even possible (how do you clone a magical god's powers?) b) ive never seen stark do something as machiavellian as this before (this is the guy who fought w the panther when he found out he was spying on the avengers).

they really wrote stark out of character.

but, w thaaaaat said, i still think it was fun.

it just had so much more potential.

oh, and marvel was foolish for not releasing the illumaniti series before this. that series explains what's going on a helluva lot better.

:Shrug:

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I preface this with the warning that I have not read Civil War. I do know the basics though.

See, I didn't think that it was much of a leap to work out that Cap would be anti-registration. Who is he? The Greatest of the Greatest Generation, right? He fought, was created even, to fight just such a thing.

I thought the idea sounded pretty good, and like has been said, could have been awesome.

I even didn't mind Spidey unmasking, but then in fairness, I heard one of the writers talking about it at a Con, and he justified very well, not even a stretch to believe. However, whether that came through in the book or not, I don't know.

Same writer also made some observations about the "suits" at Marvel sticking their fingers into projects and completely arsing them up. Wolverine Origin being a prime example. Started off hot, suits got involved, threw in tons of idea that "HAD" to be included, and the mini-series sank.

I think when you drive a project, you have full control. My experience if indie companies, is that they give a lot more freedom to the creators. When you get to the big boys, they seem to have that "Hollywood" demographic-analyzing, test-audience checking, bean countingmentality and great ideas never seem to deliver the way you hope.

The flip side is obviously that you simply can't work on something as epic as Civil War, or Infinity Crisis, unless you have that kinda organisation behind you. The same organisation that will then arse it up!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
The story, from Captain America's point of view, was brilliant. He was wonderfully protrayed.

Iffy character protrayal, though, was Iron Man and the Fantastic Four. It felt like they decided on events (Iron Man is a bad guy, Fantastic Four breaks up) and then tried to come up with reasons.

I also thought that in their efforts to promote the seires, they really blew a lot of the shocking moments and drama. If I hadn't known that Spider-Man was going to unmask himself until I'd read the issue in which it happened, I would have flipped out.

But....I already knew about it. And I wasn't even trying to find spoilers, I just heard about it through osmosis. It was that pervasive.

As an "event" by itself, I think it was awkward. There was too little happening in the really IMPORTANT series like "Front Lines" and "Civil War," and way too much going on in all the periphreal series (for that matter, there were too damn many comics with "CIVIL WAR" slapped on the front, and half the time they were barely related.)

How I DO think it worked, though, is this:

I think that Civil War as a whole is, in many ways, a "coming of age" story for the whole entire Marvel Universe. I think its' the end of innocence and the entry point into a new, darker, more mature universe. It's not stated, but that's what it feels like to me. And in that, I think it succeeds, in that I look forward to seeing this new tone and idea used in post-War comics.

.....although the post-war comics are't impressing me much, either. Not yet...

(and why the hell is Spider-Man wearing his black costume again?)

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

i was wondering the same thing.

im sure it has nothing to do w the movie that's coming out.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com

Well the official reason is that he's gonna go darker because something terrible happens in his life, so the black is more fitting.

Myself, and I know this is gonna sound CRAZY! Like some conspiracy-nut shinola. But I think it may have something to do with a certain movie that is due out this summer where a black costume is a key plot point.

WHAT? THAT'S JUST CRAZY TALK!

WHO SAID THAT?

Not me.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
And how one arth would that tie into Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer?

Sometimes, I don't get you guys at all.

I realize maybe something darker's going to happen but, er, shouldn't something darker have happened BEFORE he got the costume on? And anyawy, is it just a black suit? I mean, it thus far doesn't seem to be the Venom suit again.

Sometimes, I just don't understand how Joe Quesada and crew work.

I would like a little less unification between comics, I think. But that may be a whole 'nother topic...

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
I would like a little less unification between comics, I think. But that may be a whole 'nother topic...

me too.

id like an acknowledgment of certain events but nothing that detracts from the specific title.

but we're in the minority on this.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
me too.

id like an acknowledgment of certain events but nothing that detracts from the specific title.

but we're in the minority on this.

I wonder if we really are in a minority on this, actually...

I was reading old Spider-Man comics this afternoon (because it's that busy here at work). The old one by Stan lee and Steve Ditko, yanno? And the comics shared heroes and references each other's storylines, but only to a very limited extent. And I think it worked wonderfully that way.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Okay, the biggest spoiler post of all.

Captain America, one of my all-time favorite heroes, one of the only reasons why I read Civil War......dead.

Question: Will Marvel leave him dead? Or are we going to get a "Death and Return of Superman" sort of storyline?

(I'm crushed at Captain America's death. I really honestly am.)

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Noone ever stays dead so Cap will be back. Also, Spiderman is in black because something terrible happened....spolier in white color ink....Aunt May was shot...

I liked Civil War but agree it could have been better. I think the winner was the right choice in that it was the logical choice. Stark may have been out of character but I have never found him more interesting. I think I'm the only person who likes the idea of a self serving border line villainous Stark, though. I didn't like the way Reed played second fiddle to him, though. I don't even like Reed but he's easily as established and prominent a man in the Marvel U as Iron Man is. They had Reed at the same level as Pym. I just don't see it. I also don't like the whole Peter Parker looking up to Tony Stark deal. Parker needs to grow up a bit and stop being the endless teenager.

The story over all felt fragmented and rushed but that's the way of things like this. There were things I wanted resolved that didn't seem to be but I hope will be in the future.

Cap...I don't know about that guy. Overall I dislike him but Civil War made me like him a bit. It doesn't hurt that my favorite writer...Ed Brubaker...writes his book I guess. He's just so incredibly over competant. He's trading punches with Iron Man...what? That's absurd.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
He's a super-soldier, from World War II.

My favorite incarnation of Captain America was in the "The Ultimates" graphic novels. I thought they were absolutely perfect, especially the early issues as Cap tries to reestablish himself in this new century.

I should have said it better, but while I thought Iron Man was strangely written (in the bits that establish him as the bad guy in this series) I do think that he made an enjoyable bad guy, and it was a logical ending, although it wasn't the ending I wanted. I wanted Cap to win, but I knew he couldn't.

I didn't understand the way they showed Reed at all, let alone in light of the Illuminati stuff they're doing now.

Honestly, they should have just given the whole series to Joe Straczynski and let him do what he wanted with it.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I realize maybe something darker's going to happen but, er, shouldn't something darker have happened BEFORE he got the costume on? And anyawy, is it just a black suit? I mean, it thus far doesn't seem to be the Venom suit again.

Having a total brain-fart now and I can't remember the name. The white-haired bird who was a cat-burglar but had the hots for Spidey and kinda turned good. The blue/black costume with the bits of shagpile white rugg around the cuffs and boots. You know the one I mean.

Anyways, I believe she thought he looked hot in the black suit and made him a non-symbiotic version. Sewed herself and everything.

Now that is love.

When did MJ ever do that?

So, he DOES have a black version that is JUST a costume.

And it's still completely unrelated to a certain blockbuster due out this summer.

Honest!

jnesvold

Registered
Reaction score
Having a total brain-fart now and I can't remember the name. The white-haired bird who was a cat-burglar but had the hots for Spidey and kinda turned good. The blue/black costume with the bits of shagpile white rugg around the cuffs and boots. You know the one I mean.

Anyways, I believe she thought he looked hot in the black suit and made him a non-symbiotic version. Sewed herself and everything.

Now that is love.

When did MJ ever do that?

Felicia Hardy, the Black Cat. And MJ may not sew Pete new union suits, but she's a supermodel! Who cares about love? (Maybe that's what he's thinking)

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Felicia Hardy, the Black Cat. And MJ may not sew Pete new union suits, but she's a supermodel! Who cares about love? (Maybe that's what he's thinking)

That's it!

My sanity thanks you.

My family thanks you (because they'd have had to live with me while I slink around the house in a foul mood trying to remember.

Last edited:

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I tried to forget the Black Cat after that horrible Kevin Smith book. 1st half good--second half atrocious.

Sounds like another Wolverine Origin nightmare.

"Hey this is an awesome book. Sales are great, cool story, slick art. Y'know what we need? We need to get all the Editors and suits together, throw all the ideas we have for the way we think this should story should play out. Now obviously they'll ALL be great ideas, so what we'll do is throw them ALL at the writer and get him to include them all."

I jest of course, but I find it hard to believe that a writer can start an arc, then have a complete melt-down half-way through and ruin the arc.

Now I don't doubt this is possible. We've all had an awesome idea that would be such a cool story... er... but how do I wind it all up? But this is one of the joys of working in the business. And as writers, we have to deal with Editors, with artists who think they can write a better story and have more clout, with fan-feedback that causes the publisher to want to change directions.

If you're a pro, you deal with it. Pick your fights and cash your checks. And one day, you have enough clout to make it right.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
the problem with Wolverine is that fans don't ACTUALLY want all the mysteries cleared up, all the questions answered. What's the fun in that? It's like watching "House," except House gets cheerful and friendly and well-adjusted and the show keeps going. Congrautlations, you have E.R.

Wolverine Origins was a dumb idea, done badly. And seriously, at this point, Wolverine and Sabertooth are practically dating...

(Black Cat was hot. Yeeow. Way hotter than Catwoman.)

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
But where do you draw the line?

You need hooks and mystery and plot points that are, no pun intended, water-cooler moments. But you also need to resolve SOME of them or your audience switches off.

Crossing disciplines, it's a problem LOST has had. And yet the flip-side is that HEROES manages it very well? The Jeph Loeb factor? Just a comicbook factor?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

Captain America, one of my all-time favorite heroes, one of the only reasons why I read Civil War......dead.

Question: Will Marvel leave him dead? Or are we going to get a "Death and Return of Superman" sort of storyline?

it was one of the worst death scenes ive ever read.

death by sniper is so contrived and banal for anyone, its pretty unforgivable for marvel to do that w cap.

and it was also pretty obnoxious to release that he died before anyone even read the story.

Noone ever stays dead so Cap will be back.

he's def. not dead.

they totally showed their hand here as well.

i dont really mind if they dont kill someone like him off, but its annoying how they lied to the media about this.

I liked Civil War but agree it could have been better. I think the winner was the right choice in that it was the logical choice. Stark may have been out of character but I have never found him more interesting. I think I'm the only person who likes the idea of a self serving border line villainous Stark, though.

i actually love the idea of a machiavellianl stark.

love it.

but it needed to have some basis.

they just threw it out there.

and it made no sense to use villians to capture friends.

no sense at all.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

They brought back Superman?

I remember when Jim Steranko took over Captain America from the late great Jack "The King" Kirby. Issue #111 I believe they killed off Cap. But he was back the very next issue.

I hope they bring him back, to me Captain America IS Marvel Comics. He's the character that got me started reading them back in the 60s and he's been the one constant all my life. Without him, what is the purpose to life? Why go on?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
What do you mean "They brought back Superman?" Sheesh. It was The Death and Return of Superman. ;)

It was a damn good arc, actually. Very powerful. And then Superman got...blue...and weird...

I have been consistently fond of Captain America for a long, long time now. I was thrilled when they brought out The Ultimates in the Ultimate Marvel universe, because they did a bang-up job writing Steve Rogers.

I didn't like Civil War -- it was too loose, too onfocused, it didn't work -- but I loved the battle of ideals between Captain America and Iron Man, when it wasn't interrupted by random fighting.

(an aside: Honestly, don't they understand that we dont' need big explosive fighting every issue? I mean, Batman works at his best when he's not fighting....)

Captain America was big and powerful and unwavering in what he believed, and I really liked that. I liked the Captain enormously.

I even liked him more than Captain Britain. Or Union Jack, or whatever his name was...

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
It's Captain Britain, PeeDee.

I have a feeling Steve Rogers is dead. Captain America may come back, but...seems to me that's what Joe Q was hinting at in last week's Joe Fridays.

BTW, I agree, I like when other stuff is happening besides fights. I like the subtle stuff and the mysteries.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Captain Britain was the best damn bit of pandering to an audience I've ever seen. Marvel UK made a UK hero and they actually made a decent character!

My bet of Cap (not as good as Captain Britain) is that the Super Serum that kept him alive after his fateful face off (no pun intended) with Red Skull at the end of WWII will kick in again.

Or, and I have to admit I think this is the favorite, considering it's Marvel), we'll discover that Steve Rogers only survived or reacted to the Super Serum treatment because he was mutant and...(same as above).

BTW, Captain Britain could kick Cap's butt.

Oh, and Union Jack IS a Marvel character who has popped up and disappeared from time to time. No powers as such, but he does have a Webley pistol.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I KNEW Union Jack was a real character! I saw him just recently, in a Brubaker comic!

A google search has cleared me up.

I LOVE the idea of Steve Rogers coming out as a mutant. That opens up whole new, huge storylines for him and the mutant community, what's left of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.