PDA

View Full Version : What language is this?

Susan Gable
03-03-2007, 06:07 AM
This was the only place I could think of to post this. I got a foreign edition today, but I can't tell where it's from. Can anyone recognize this language?

This is a foreign copy of my book, The Pregnancy Test. (But they often change the titles, so we can't go by trying to translate my English title into various other languages.)

Title:

Hiđ eina rtta

And here are a couple of lines from the back cover blurb:

Brook Thompson er dauhrdd. Prufan var jkv. Hn er frsk. Blu lnurnar prufunni breyttu lfi hennar. En hn ttast mest vibrg fur sins.

Can anyone tell me what language that is? :)

Thanks!

Susan G.

kborsden
03-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Looks slavic to me.

Kie

oarsman
03-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Icelandic? Here is a rough translation of some of the words from an online Icelandic to English translator: Brook Thompson is scared stiff. Sample var jkv. She is pregnant. Blu graph river prufunni variable lfi hers. While she be afraid of most feedback paternal sins.

Susan Gable
03-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Icelandic? Here is a rough translation of some of the words from an online Icelandic to English translator: Brook Thompson is scared stiff. Sample var jkv. She is pregnant. Blu graph river prufunni variable lfi hers. While she be afraid of most feedback paternal sins.

Thank you! someone else also mentioned Icelandic to me. Very neat! :)

Susan G.

Medievalist
03-03-2007, 06:45 AM
It's Icelandic, the modern descendant of Old Norse.

Susan Gable
03-03-2007, 07:01 AM
It's Icelandic, the modern descendant of Old Norse.

Thanks, Lisa! I appreciate it.

I told my husband, and he said, "Cool. How did you figure that out?"

I said, "I asked a bunch of other writers, of course!" LOL!

Susan G.

ideagirl
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
someone else also mentioned Icelandic to me. Very neat! :)

Yes indeed. The "D" with a horizontal line through it (đ) is a dead giveaway. That letter existed in Old English and various old Scandinavian languages, but the only place it exists now is Icelandic, Faroese, and some regional dialect in a tiny part of Sweden. So if you see that letter, chances are the language is Icelandic. In case you care, it's pronounced "th" as in "this," and it's called "eth."

Sheryl Nantus
03-03-2007, 08:09 PM
whatever it is, it still sounds sexy.

:D

Medievalist
03-03-2007, 08:14 PM
whatever it is, it still sounds sexy.

:D

It really is a lovely language . . .. there's a vowel sound that just stops my heart, sometimes . .. reading the sagas out loud is fun and they're in gorgeous prose.