Not open for further replies.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
This was the only place I could think of to post this. I got a foreign edition today, but I can't tell where it's from. Can anyone recognize this language?

This is a foreign copy of my book, The Pregnancy Test. (But they often change the titles, so we can't go by trying to translate my English title into various other languages.)

Title:

Hiđ eina rétta

And here are a couple of lines from the back cover blurb:

Brook Thompson er dauðhrædd. Prufan var jákvæð. Hún er ófrísk. Bláu línurnar á prufunni breyttu lífi hennar. En hún óttast mest viðbrögð föður sins.

Can anyone tell me what language that is? :)

Thanks!

Susan G.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Icelandic? Here is a rough translation of some of the words from an online Icelandic to English translator: Brook Thompson is scared stiff. Sample var jákvæð. She is pregnant. Bláu graph river prufunni variable lífi hers. While she be afraid of most feedback paternal sins.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Icelandic? Here is a rough translation of some of the words from an online Icelandic to English translator: Brook Thompson is scared stiff. Sample var jákvæð. She is pregnant. Bláu graph river prufunni variable lífi hers. While she be afraid of most feedback paternal sins.

Thank you! someone else also mentioned Icelandic to me. Very neat! :)

Susan G.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
someone else also mentioned Icelandic to me. Very neat! :)

Yes indeed. The "D" with a horizontal line through it (đ) is a dead giveaway. That letter existed in Old English and various old Scandinavian languages, but the only place it exists now is Icelandic, Faroese, and some regional dialect in a tiny part of Sweden. So if you see that letter, chances are the language is Icelandic. In case you care, it's pronounced "th" as in "this," and it's called "eth."

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

whatever it is, it still sounds sexy.

:D

It really is a lovely language . . .. there's a vowel sound that just stops my heart, sometimes . .. reading the sagas out loud is fun and they're in gorgeous prose.

Status
Not open for further replies.