• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

A fun keyboard modification, steampunk style

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Oh my god...

I want one. That's amazing. I have neither the patience or the supplies for it, but I want one. That's sheerly awesome. You could even combine it with the downloadable "typewriter" noises to really make something nifty.

Actually, I wouldn't mind one of those old IBM keyboards. Those things stood up to some abuse. I have three keyboards in this house and I only use one of them because it can stand up to it when I start hammering and going excessively fast. The others get too stiff after awhile. Like laptop keyboards (a pox on them all.)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I have many Model M's I've bought at thrift stores in the $2 to $5 range. When one gets too much jelly and breadcrumbs in it, I set it aside and pull out another one. They're sometimes still found in the same thrift-store bin as the pile of cheap lightweight plastic PS/2-interface and "modern" USB-interface computer keyboards. I'm typing on a Model M now. I also have a couple of IBM AT keyboards, they rock but they're also very clickity-clack loud. The AT keyboards work on modern "PS/2" interfaces with an adapter for the AT's large DIN connector. Don't try to use a PC or XT keyboard on an AT or more modern machine, the connections and data format are different.

I'm not into case mods or any of that carp, but this "typewriter keys" think does look neat. What I'd really like to do is my own microcontroller in the keyboard, add a small LCD display, and make "macro" keys like a macro key program on the PC, but all embedded in the keyboard. Adding a little more ram/flash and a battery, and the keyboard could make a self-contained computer/word processor.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
For Ferret, "steampunk" just brings back memories of his happier times, in the roaring (18)20's.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It was just a reminder for members of our live studio audience is all.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WOW! I just love the look of the old round keytops. And that he chose roman numerals for the function keys is just such a perfect touch. Neato!

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
I need one. My birthday is coming up people so don't hesitate.

No, but seriously damn, that's a sweet key board. I wonder at the quality of the typmatics of the keyboard, and how well it buffers out unwanted strokes.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Oh man, that's a beauty! Now I'm in a crafty mood. Thank God I have an old crappy business computer around here (doesn't work at all. I can't even type 500 words without the whole system crashing), so I think I'm gonna go play around with that for a little bit....

TSByrne

Registered
Reaction score
Quite possibly the coolest thing ever today. And it gives my brain monkeys a much needed prodding...

Thank you, StoneTable, for prodding my brain monkeys.