the elusive SCOOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Of course we all admire those writers actually in print... but today, I read this on page four of our local newspaper:

The stabbing occurred as a result of some sort of altercation.

I mean, has anyone seen such an underwhelming bit of writing in a newspaper? Really--anyone, in your local paper?

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Uh, it wasn't totally unmotivated? Whatta surprise.
I don't read the local rag anymore. Too much underwhelming going on...
I don't even read the L.A.Times either. They couldn't deliver it on time.

I miss the crossword puzzle, but that's all.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Our local paper loves to say things like, "the faucet was busted off in the park". Busted? Busted? Seriously, that's the best word the reporter could think of? Ack! That's why I hate reading the paper.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Our newspaper loves talking like old Adam West batman villains.

"Swift Snow Strangles Suberbs!" the paper's headline will read. It was something like that this morning.

And then we'll get the exciting news stories. "Officials say 'town ready' for influx of people." And you read a page-long article that translates down to if anyone shows up, bucko, we are totally ready. Like, prepped.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Our local paper had an advertising blurb up on all the newspaper dispensers once - "Your Wearing What? Fashion And Lifestyle Evey Wednesday!"

The only way that rag would be accurate is if it were printed on yellow paper...

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I sent a Letter to the Editor this week. <sigh> It was better written before they got their hands on it. :e2cry: :e2hammer:

I can also point you in the direction of some local tv reporters who now, with the web and all, actually have to WRITE their stories so someone can read them.

That's the theory, anyway. I finally stopped sending the corrections for basic grammar and punctuation problems, never mind the fact that they weren't even covering the WWWWH basics (Which I learned way back in 8th grade or so) in the stories. These people have college degrees in journalism or media! Oy!

Susan G.

Dixie

Registered
Reaction score
Well once our local rag had a caption of an MVA with EMS on scene (yeah they show pictures of every MVA in the couty. :rolleyes:) Anyway the caption read something like: "EMS arrived on scene and threatened the victims before transporting them to the hospital."

Here's one from the Ar Dem Gazette todays edition:
Panel favors bill on Arkansas' possessive

Yeah they are debating on how the possessive form should be spelled and whichever way they vote on will become law. Sheesh, I guess now the grammar police is going to be scouring all state publications for the wrong way of spelling Arkansas' or Arkansas's.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Our local paper had an advertising blurb up on all the newspaper dispensers once - "Your Wearing What? Fashion And Lifestyle Evey Wednesday!"

The only way that rag would be accurate is if it were printed on yellow paper...

By local paper, I think you mean "St. Cloud Times," hmmm? :)

because I laugh at those exact same blurbs every day.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
None of these match up to, "President Wilson was seen entering Mrs. Gault, who appeared to enjoy his sally." (As opposed to "entertaining".)

(I think that's what is was. I know I've seen the error referenced numerous times, but can't find it online and am too lazy to go upstairs and hunt for it. Has anyone else seen this one?)

Mae

this is me - is that you?
Registered
Reaction score
.... our local once weekly paper's front page news is of the town's commisioned $60,000 GIANT Mudcat fish statue. Happy to report we will be in the Guiness world book next year.

ah well, at least someone's getting published around here.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I work at one of those "rags" as Lifestyles Editor, and I try my hardest every issue to put out something worthy. I think I'm doing ok because I've placed every year in the Tennessee Press Association since I've been the Lifestyles Editor.

If it's anything like the paper where I work, I can guess what's going on. The old saying "You get what you pay for" applies here. Most small newspapers are losing money and can't afford to pay their workers a whole lot. To release a little bit of personal information, I didn't even make $20,000 this year. Luckily, I have a husband who makes pretty good money, or I wouldn't be able to stay there. I do it because I love it, not because of the money.

Anyway, at our paper, they hire people fresh out of school (like they did with me) or people who don't have any experience at all. They have to learn under fire. My journalism classes didn't teach me everything I needed to know to work at a newspaper.

We don't have the budget to hire copy editors, so we have to do all of that ourselves. I write almost all of the feature stories that go in my section (occassionally, I use a freelancer, but that's maybe once a month if that), I do all my own editing, I do the layout for my section. I'm only human, so grammar and typos don't always get caught. I'm very diligent, so I catch most of them.

Right now, our publisher wants to cut our newsroom by half. If he did that, the situation would be even worse. Our editor-in-chief has tried desperately for the last six months to help us all keep our jobs. Two weeks ago, he suffered a heart attack. He almost died. We all think it's because of the stress he's been under.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a little insight into what actually goes on in at a small newspaper. I love my job, don't get me wrong. I get to write the happy news: weddings, engagements, feature stories. But, because of electronic media, readership and subscribers are way down. I'm almost afraid small, community-minded newspapers will go away, and that would be a shame.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Not quite - I'm in NY - but they must be subsidiaries. :)

Probably. I was just kidding. If I"d been serious, that would have been a wee bit creepy.

Nifty that the St. Cloud Times has a subsidary paper in New York! Wow! I wonder if it does okay? What do they call it, the New York Times? I guess that's got kind of a ring to it. I wish 'em luck!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Sometimes, y'know, we'd really like to.

EMS: Sir, you LIE STILL or I WILL zappy-thingy you!

GUY: Wha...wait, don't you know what it's called!?

EMS: Of course I know what.....it....is called. Now lie still before your, like, your wounds make you, you know, sicker.

GUY: I want to see some ID!

EMS: That's rich. Guy gets hit by a car, and he wants to see some ID.

GUY: Who are you!?

EMS: I told you. That's Rich. My partner. I'm Steve. We're Doctor wossnames. Where are my knives?

RICH: I dropped them. Here they are.

GUY: *faints*

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! My little town has a paper that comes out every two weeks, rain or shine. The articles are mostly written by the citizens around town. Whenever something "big" goes on with the cubscouts or my church, I write the article and email it with photos to the newspaper. They have a grand total of one photographer and two writers so without "citizen" stories, they wouldn't have a paper. It's chock full of who got arrested, who got married, how the school did at various competitions, what the lunch menu is at the nursing home, etc....

Typos and howlers are just a way of life. :D

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I worked at a small weekly paper for awhile - unfortunately, it was a "newspaper" the same way PublishAmerica is a "publisher."

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I read the local college's school paper, once. There was an entire page and a half devoted to defining the "emo" trend. It was apparently front page material, and could've been written by a 2nd grader. I almost cried. Plus, it said "continued on page 4" and I finally found the continuation on page 7. :cry:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
That reminded me of an old Shoe comic where the headline of the Tattler -Tribune read "CROSSWORD PUZZLE ON PAGE 15!"

Quote the Perfessor - "Here's one issue we're not submitting to the Pulitzer committee."

Status
Not open for further replies.