PDA

View Full Version : do you have any kick-ass sci-fi invention ideas?

preyer
03-02-2007, 09:00 PM
i can't think of another place to put this....

'internet goggles.' basically you put them on and poof, you're online. using micro-sensors to detect where you're looking and your hand position (there's an 'imaginary' keyboard graphic when you look down, so you can type in thin air), you can go online anywhere anytime. built-in mini headphones serve as microphones, too, and it's got a full range of voice recognition programmes. and, of course, it's powered by your body's electrical output, so no batteries. great for gamers who like to play in real life but still 'see' the enemy as if they were really there, kind of like real people 'wearing' electronic skins.

the sexbot 2000. shy? perverted? just too damn lazy to go out and get the real thing? then here's the answer to your fantasies, a completely lifelike, fully adjustable (indeed, the only thing you can't adjust is the gender) and sexable toy. just plug it in, find a partner on the computer, and 'meet' in the closest thing to actually doing the act as you can get. your partner is on the other end, and their movements are instantly relayed to your toy, so it's very much an interactive thing. programming for safety are built-in, so no crimes or accidental injuries are likely to happen. for the best results, certain logisitics should be worked out first so your partner isn't bumping into tons of stuff.

there're others, low on time. interested to see some of your crazy invention ideas.

alleycat
03-02-2007, 09:08 PM
No offense meant at all, but those ideas aren't really new. I did like the part about your own body providing the power though.

As for the sexbot, I can only hope that the software to run it is not by Microsoft. "Damn, I've caught a STD virus again!"

;-)

C.bronco
03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Yes. Snackvest. It's a vest, but it's made of snacks.

New phone emergency number: 912. You can call it for an emergency pedicure and massage.

Exhaustrees: a genetically altered jumbo philodendron engineered to absorb the maximum amount of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere during photosynthesis. Exhaustrees line the medians of New Jersey highways in the next millenium.

Spy Cellulite: An electronic device which ensures that any satellite pictures taken of you will only show good angles.

Anti-Pet: a mechanical device on wheels which randomly sheds, leaves assorted droppings, chews furniture legs and makes excessive noise at 4:00 AM, yet supplies none of the love or companionship found in real pets.

Julie Worth
03-02-2007, 09:30 PM
i can't think of another place to put this....

www.halfbakery.com (http://www.halfbakery.com)

alleycat
03-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Remember when aerosol sprays were depleting the ozone layer? . . . how 'bout a spray that adds to the ozone! We could help save the planet ever time we clean the bathtub and use deodorant.

It could be approved by Al Gore! (whose house uses more electricity than a small town)

preyer
03-02-2007, 10:09 PM
no offense taken. it's hard to come up with stuff no one's thought of yet, lol.

C.bronco
03-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Indeed. Since they've come up with PHENTERMINE, well, who needs anything else!

Yes, the PHENTERMINE bar will replace Starbucks as the "in" place to stave off addiction.

No more bulky coils! No more embarassing aluminum foil bits on your shoulders!
The Bronco line of hair accessories will keep alien thoughts out of your brain while providing a sporty and stylish accent to your favorite ensemble.

Betty: "Babs, why do you keep twitching?"
Babs: "It's those pesky aliens trying to interfere with my brain again. I'd wear my copper hat, but guys think they're dorky and Ken is stopping by for tea."
Betty: "You don't have to sacrifice your mental sanctity for beauty anymore! See my rad new barettes? That's right, they're copper. I have a second set in foil!"
Babs: "Wow! Where can I buy some?" ...

dclary
03-02-2007, 11:55 PM
One of my stories involves space transportation done through quantum computers that calculate routes through parallel universes. So let's say in universe-prime it's 13 light-years from star A to star B, the quantum computer does a "mapquest" - style search through a catalog of known and mapped alternate universes until it finds one earlier or later in its development where maybe the distance is just a few light minutes. Leap to the alternate universe, do your travel, and leap back into prime space.

The device that moves a vessel from one universe to another is called a loom, because it's weaving string theory. LOL. Yeah, I'm lame.

MidnightMuse
03-03-2007, 12:15 AM
How about a computer you don't have to reboot?

Too far fetched? Yeah, I thought so.

Judg
03-03-2007, 12:26 AM
B-B-But if I told you, you'd steal my ideas! :cry:

Anya Smith
03-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Oh, since I write SF, I have several.

One is Fragments, clones used for limited function with just one facet of the original person's personality trait, like mothering, or some form of art.

Thermnites: nano particles that convert everything to heat in minutes.

Compositor: builds simflesh around a person in the likenes of another person.

That's all I'm giving away. ;)

MattW
03-03-2007, 02:39 AM
Anti-Pet: a mechanical device on wheels which randomly sheds, leaves assorted droppings, chews furniture legs and makes excessive noise at 4:00 AM, yet supplies none of the love or companionship found in real pets.Spelled C-A-T.

Zoombie
03-03-2007, 03:09 AM
I've got some ideas:

A Dreamcaster: put on the headset, go to sleep and enjoy your lucid dreams. Control every facet of your dream and wake up smiling.

Blind-spot Vest: Utilizing the blind spot that exist in every human's eyes by manipulating the brain with quantum electoninisis. Allows you to slip by that pesky security guard.

Book-Game: Plug into any old book and assume one of the character's persona. Live they're life and see if you can't do better than the author thought you could.

PeeDee
03-03-2007, 08:02 AM
I've got some ideas:

A Dreamcaster: put on the headset, go to sleep and enjoy your lucid dreams. Control every facet of your dream and wake up smiling.

Matrix.

Blind-spot Vest: Utilizing the blind spot that exist in every human's eyes by manipulating the brain with quantum electoninisis. Allows you to slip by that pesky security guard.

Metal Gear Solid

Book-Game: Plug into any old book and assume one of the character's persona. Live they're life and see if you can't do better than the author thought you could.

Holodeck.

:D

(I'm one to talk, I've hardly contributed any ideas here, have I?

triceretops
03-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Interaction Figures--large toy bots that babysit your kids and even dicipline them when they need it.

Tri

preyer
03-03-2007, 07:39 PM
what's funny is you could argue 'the matrix''s premise is like the holodeck, too, lol. obvioiusly we can't account for every single idea out there, we can only hope the way in which we use 'our' ideas is entertaining enough to get by. i don't know how many stories i've started only to get to a point where i'm like, damnit, this is too much like 'westworld.'

for instance, my face conversion idea centres around a kind of softening jelly applied to the face and a hard mask that forms your flesh into that mold.

for 'wishville,' nanobots by the billions fulfill 'wishes' in secret, until such time when they have to kill someone, and they become a kind of indestructible wave.

the major focus for one sci-fi crime thing was a holographic re-building of a crime scene the character could examine in a specially built warehouse, and they'd just walk right through things as they re-examined the area. i basically just wanted one character to be accidentally standing right inside the corpse while waxing philosophic about intrusion.

a minour detail for 'creating god' involved micro and radio waves and the brain's wavelengths, trying to show how we can be easily reduced to believe anything if our minds were under bombardment. i got lost on the math real fast, lol. i still think it's possible, i just can't prove it. :)

are any of these particularly original? i highly doubt it. can they be entertaining? that depends on the writer, so share, share, those idears.

i think if we got to hover cars and the like, flying suits aren't far behind. that should make war interesting, eh? as if any nation we wanted to ruin we couldn't do a lot easier using some kind of bio-chemical-junk to destroy their food supply and starve a surrender out of 'em. that's hardly as exciting as making a bunch of mutants that rise up from their toilets, grow super fast, and wreak havoc upon the population, though, lol.

Nangleator
03-03-2007, 10:54 PM
... space transportation ... routes through parallel universes. ... Leap to the alternate universe, do your travel, and leap back into prime space.
See, that won't work because the lightspeed limit isn't a prohibition against speed so much as a prohibition against being in one place too soon after having been in the first place.

That sounds like an awkward way of saying the same thing, but it isn't. (It is awkward, but it isn't the same thing.) And it rules out hyperspace and other such devices that get you to the destination before your light could.

(Frankly, I don't really understand why this "causality" that physicists are so intent on protecting needs to be inviolate. Who's to say it isn't breakable, too?)

However. If you can slip into other universes, and you want to visit Epsilon Eridani, I don't see that there would be any prohibition at all against picking a universe where the place is exactly where you need it to be. Sure, you're limited to only a few googleplex to the googleplex universes where that's true. Big deal.

Of course, you'd want to be careful about slipping into fictional universes, like in Heinlein's Number of the Beast. Go to Epsilon Eridani, and you might wander into Narn/Centauri battle.

PeeDee
03-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Of course, you'd want to be careful about slipping into fictional universes, like in Heinlein's Number of the Beast. Go to Epsilon Eridani, and you might wander into Narn/Centauri battle.

THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!!

I mean, up until the Narn Regime blows me out of the sky, and then I'm just dead, but....

Rolling Thunder
03-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Mine are too twisted to discuss in public.

Nangleator
03-03-2007, 11:09 PM
PeeDee, download this (http://ifh.firstones.com/) free game and you'll see the Narn are punks. I'm actually afraid of the Drazi, now.

Of course, you'd have to pick up a Starfury first, but you'd be doing that, anyway, right?

Or a Whitestar...

PeeDee
03-03-2007, 11:28 PM
White Stars are damn sexy ships. Especially when you get the whole fleet of them.

But honestly? Scariest ships? Either the Shadow vessels, or the freaking Vorlon planet killers. Whoa...

Rolling Thunder
03-03-2007, 11:43 PM
White Stars are damn sexy ships. Especially when you get the whole fleet of them.

But honestly? Scariest ships? Either the Shadow vessels, or the freaking Vorlon planet killers. Whoa...

The comparison of those examples would pale, if you were forced to take a trip on 'The Love Boat'.

PeeDee
03-03-2007, 11:46 PM
It's like you're playing a game of Mad-Libs in your head....

Rolling Thunder
03-04-2007, 12:11 AM
It's like you're playing a game of Mad-Libs in your head....

Got a good adverb? I'm drawing a blank.

(Get it....blank?)

*laughs, runs away*