PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so what do I do with it??

Christine N.
03-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Now that I've ripped it all apart and have this great new book to send the publisher who asked to see it agin, but do I send the new chapters to the other two publishers who have partials? Both were requested from the query, and it's still basically the same story, but the first five chapters, which is of course what was requested, are completely rearranged and redone, and have a real punch to them.

Do I just explain that after some feedback, I've done a revision and would prefer them to read the new pages? They both have pretty long response times, so I don't think either has actually read the original yet.

I'd rather they read the new pages. So what would YOU do?

Bmwhtly
03-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Tell them that.

"enclosed are the pages you requested and the latest draft of..."

At least, that's what I'd do. But then, I've never done it...

Yup, ignore me. Listen to someone who knows what the hell they're talking about.

Calla Lily
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
This hits where it hurts. I submitted a ss to Holy Horrors and of course, 3 weeks later, I've revised it to where I think it really kicks some butt. But I thought I read somewhere here on AW that resubbing with a note that I've revised and improved would give a bad impression.

Help, anyone? For both of us?

Christine N.
03-02-2007, 09:02 PM
I don't think it would make as bad an impression as if I let the manuscript stay, then they reject it for being to verbose, then I beg to let them resubmit the new, much less verbose pages.

I can see how someone might think that I'm changable; if I revise now, how many more will I submit before I decide to stick with what I've got? But this really is a much better book.

No, really.

AllieB
03-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, this actually happened to me. An agent at Writers House had my partial, for a few weeks, and in the meantime I revised my novel based on a number of comments from another agent. I sent a brief email to Agent A explaining that I had revised and that I believed I had a much stronger work. (I also did a little groveling, saying that I knew how unconventional the request was, yada yada). And would she like to see the new partial?

She agreed, and I sent it over.

If you're going to send the letter snail mail, you might as well attach the new chapters right to it. I mean, the worst they can say is no. But honestly, if they feel your work had merit enough to request it in the first place, I'd think they wouldn't be adverse to seeing your new version.

Of course, this is just my single experience with one specific agent.

DeadlyAccurate
03-02-2007, 10:11 PM
You might want to read Kristin Nelson's rant against this before you decide.

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2007/02/i-think-i-missed-again.html

Christine N.
03-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah, and I get that, but this is really unusual for me. It's not like this ms is hot off the presses. I wrote it two years ago, and really wish someone had given me this feedback way back then, because this is the book that would have been written. It's not like me to submit something I didn't have complete confidence in.

Well, I could just ask, right? Even if I don't send the new pages, I could drop them an e-mail and ask. If they read the first one, don't like it but know I have a better version, then that might be in my favor. These are small presses and I sort of 'know' one of the editors.

I promise this is the one.

Like they say, all they can say is no, right? I won't send them the chapters, I'll just ask.

priceless1
03-03-2007, 05:35 AM
Christine, I feel for you because I know you're aching for a do-over, but I'm with Kristan Nelson on this. I've had a few authors ask me to toss out the stuff they sent me so I could see their "new and improved" version. I allowed it once and it drove me batty because not only did he send the "new version," but a week later he asked to send me yet another version. Argh. I tossed the entire thing out and recommended that he submit when he finished writing. In my way of thinking, it's unprofessional and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Hugs to ya.

Christine N.
03-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks Lynn. This really is the FINAL version. It won't be touched again until it's contracted and and I'm making edits for an editor. Or I need to do more work PRIOR to sending it out.

And, just for fun, I queried Kristen today. I also made a boo-boo though; I said I couldn't find her list of what she was looking for on her site. After I sent it, I found it. Doh! I feel like an idiot, but in my defense it was early in the morning and I kept clicking on the dropdown menu instead of the actual title. Computer operator malfunction.

I hope I don't look too terribly clueless.

I sent the brand new version of the book back to the publisher who asked to see the revised versions. The other two, well, I politely begged, and said I knew it was terribly unusual, and I understood if they said no.

Lesson learned, as well.