Writing Application/Software Manuals - Resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done some searching of both this forum and Google, but not really come up with what I'm looking for, so hopefully this isn't too obvious.

I'm taking on more documentation type work at my job and my next big task is to document a piece of in-house software the network technicians use. I want to keep this as formal as possible because this software could be farmed out to other locations in the company.

Is there a template, or specific format for software manuals? Since my end-users aren't your typical end-users, I'm finding that looking at existing software manuals doesn't help me much. I tried following the style of the manual of another application we use, but to be honest, it's awful (so bad in fact, my manager has already hinted that will be my next task - recreating that manual).

Any suggestions, or places to look would be very helpful! Thanks!

Michelle

Deleted member 42

Both Apple and Microsoft have Software publishing guidelines. Apple's is a free .pdf:

Apple Publication Style Guide

Microsoft used to have theirs online too, but I'm not finding it. The book is available.

And IBM's is here, also free.

I'd look at some consumer books for software -- a couple of the Dummies Guides, (Tom Negrino and Michael Cohen are both good but I'm biased) and also some of the Teach Yourself Visually and Peachpit Quick Start and Quick Project books.

It's important to use the proper vocabulary for UI elements, to be specific, and to use bullets and numbered steps where appropriate.

If you can find old manuals from Apple, from the days of printed manuals, they really are excellent models, no matter what OS you're writing for.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
The template (look and feel) I use is a very basic one

As for the content and organization ... that depends on what the SW does and who the audience is. Cookbooks are a good model.

I tend to do task-based manuals, split along user roles. For example, I would take an inventory control package and explain USER level first:
1 - logging in
2 - adding items
3 - removing items
3 - searching for items

Then the MANAGER level:
1 - logging in
2 - adding users
3 - removing users
4 - creating reports

Im my experience, users like LOTS of screen shots to let them know what to expect.

Start with a brief intro: what the task entails, when they should be doing the task, and any prerequisites for doing the task.

Then the steps:

4. Click the REPORTS button
(screen shot of the report menu here)
5. Select the "Missing Inventory" report
(screenshot of the report after it opens, followed by an explanaiton of the fields and what the user has to do with them)
6. blah

a tree of night

Registered
Reaction score
Have you talked with a representative sample of the network techs that will be using it? They might be able to give you more insight on how the docs will be used and that could help you out with style and organization.

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
Tsu Dho Nimh (do I ever love that name), thanks for the breakdown... that helped a lot!

Tree - Actually, I am one of the network geek using the software. Whether that makes it easier or harder, I'm not sure.

The good news is, I wound up having to rush (day and a half!) a guide for a much simpler application that's going into production on Wednesday, so that's given me a good idea of how to approach this other application.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Michelle

RichHelms

@BookTrailer101
Registered
Reaction score
Website
booktrailer101.info
Technical Writing For Dummies
By Sheryl Lindsell-Roberts
ISBN: 978-0-7645-5308-0

I am a deep technical person being in computer R&D for 30 years now but I have an admiration for the Dummies series. They form a strong template and stick to it. I am not familiar with this exact book but were I in your position, I would look at this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.