Rejections-save or shred

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyf027

Registered
Reaction score
I have been saving the many rejections I have recieved for my submitted short stories. Now, I think I'm going to shred the form ones and only keep the ones offering advice, critique or asking to submit again. What does everybody else do with them?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
First, I open my Word file with all my submissions and mark the latest rejection. So I don't submit the same piece to them again. :tongue

Then, if it's an honest-to-goodness response with suggestions, I note the suggestions on a piece of paper for later perusal. This doesn't apply for form rejections, natch.

Last, I chuck the thing into the recycle bin. Maybe it'll save 1/1000th of a tree. I don't keep them just like I don't keep nasty emails or anything else I'd just be keeping to flog myself into depression with. :poke:

Than I submit somewhere else.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a back up record of your submissions. I have three files: form rejections, hand written rejections, and the ever lovin' acceptances--a poor folder, but mine own.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I save all of mine for tax-time purposes...it shows I'm seriously pursuing publication, just in case it comes into question. I save EVERYTHING, though--especially since I'm writing stuff off this year.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I fold them neatly and put them in a ziplock baggie. Then they go into the Earthquake Preparidness Kit.

Not as great as two-ply, but they keep longer.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I have kept all of mine so far...e-jections :)) ) I print and add to the growing pile. I assume when I get enough to fill the room, I'll have to get rid of some. Only 5 or 6 to go and they'll be spilling into the hallway. :D

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
I keep mine in a large manilla envelope. I figure some day when I'm rich and famous (ha!) I'll go through and count them, and put some figure on my blog, like, "I got rejected 4,893 times before finding representation!" And then everyone will cheer up and keep submitting.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
I have a folder for each short story (and now my one novel) in which goes all the rejections, e-mailed, print, form or otherwise. That way I know where I've submitted to before.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Save

Well, a bunch of saved rejections makes a great bonfire after you receive an acceptance.

Reaction score
Exactly my thinking, JAR. I'd kiss you for saying that but Mrs JAR might object. :D

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was considering papering my bedroom walls with them, but I'm worried it might send me insane. Or at least convince other people that I'm insane.

FergieC

Bored at work fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathferguson.co.uk
I sort of keep mine, but like everything else that I sort of keep because I feel they shouldn't be thrown out (eg bank statements) they just lie around, or under, the kitchen table for months, getting increasingly tea-stained and cruddy. Eventually they'll either be chucked out or stuck in some folder that'll be stuck in the attic and totally forgotten about, or lost.

Then sometime after I die, some poor sod will have to sort through it all...

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I keep them for two purposes: the acknowledgment that I exist ;) , and for tax reporting, should I ever need to prove that I indeed do expend money on professional writerly activities.

Ms.Write

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.u-unlimited.ca
I save my rejections for tax purposes as I am claiming writing expenses and it's my proof of submission.

I also keep lists of all the places I submitted to, and when, as well as results (who requested partials or complete manuscripts, etc.), for future reference.

I figure when I die all that paper will make a HUGE bonfire!

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
I always save mine. It shows that I have been submitting. Of course, I don't look at them often; they're still a source of disappointment.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep all my rejections in a lovely clear box in the spare bedroom. I can refer to them if necessary or prove that I've submitted to publishers if anyone asks
If I ever feel the need to take them out and roll around in them, then they're handy.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I used to save all of my rejections, even the ones where it was just my cover letter and no handwritten rejection. I took an educated guess that it was a "no."

The box--a large one--started to overflow. I tossed most except for the ones with comments, or the ones where the person responding was different from who was listed in Writer's Market or wherever.

I do keep a spreadsheet of all submissions.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Save them all: it'll help your biographer. ;)

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I keep 'em around, until I forget or they got lost, and then I don't lose too much sleep over it. They can be fun to look at. Yesterday, at the bottom of a dusty box, I found a rejection letter from Ellen Datlow and I thought "oh, cool."

It's a rejection, but it's Ellen Datlow, and that still makes it neat.

FSU David

Re: Rejections, save or shred

Billyf0,

Life is a learning experience and as such, I keep all of them, documenting the date I received them, and use them as PURE UNADULTERATED MOTIVATION to prove them wrong. I have a few that are especially helpful but most of them are form letters with some even having the audacity to not only reject the query, but to use the rejection as a chance to solicit their own books to me. Additionally, this lady had a few blatant grammatical blunders in her response. The Jews have a great word for that ....Chutzpah!!!

David

Excelsior

Don't panic.
Registered
Reaction score
I keep a spreadsheet so I don't re-submit to someone who's already rejected my stuff.

I also keep every rejection letter I get. That way, when I make my sale and get filthy rich, the first thing I'm gonna do is send each and every one of them an "I-told-you-so" letter. A form letter, of course.

Vindictiveness is a cruel mistress.

Status
Not open for further replies.