Reaction score
cc

Last edited:

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I envy you SW. I can't get my kid to read anything. He wants to be a director and make movies.

When he was seven, he made a short freeze frame film. It was impressive for his age. Now he makes fart films (films with excessive farting) and I cannot get him to acknowledge the correlation between stories and directing.

He is 14. Maybe it will turn around in the next few years.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
INow he makes fart films (films with excessive farting)
:ROFL:
Sorry, didn't mean to giggle.

Fart films. Heh.

We're struggling to get our kids to read. My oldest has an on again, off again, thing with books, unfortunately the off again always seems to coincide with book report time. The class list needs to add more Star Wars novels to it's list. ;)

My youngest is just learning to read and whereas the oldest seemed to just take to it like a duck to water, he struggles with even the simplest of words that he's read a hundred times before.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
"going inside" the book - wow - that is terrific news, SW. Once you go inside the book and become a part of it, then the reading magic is there for you always. This is something to celebrate!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My son had the "reading is amazing" epiphany last year. I caught him with a flashlight reading under the covers. It's wonderful when they learn how to "go inside a book." What a great way to describe it.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
cc

Last edited:

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
There is still hope for the future. I hope my kids will be just as interested in books as computer games. I'm definitely going to introduce the former a lot earlier than the latter. ;)

Last edited:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
That book is cursed by the DEVIL! It should be BURNED for stealing your son's SOUL!

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
For all of the parents who worry that their kid won't enjoy reading:

I was one of those kids. My mom read to me all of the time when I was little, and I adored it. She was an avid reader herself, but was a little disappointed that I didn't want to read a whole lot on my own once I learned how. In my defense, I was always outside playing in my own little imaginary worlds, so it wasn't like I was planted in front of the tv all of the time.

Anyhow, I 'rediscovered' reading when I was probably in 9th grade or so. (Around 15 years old) and haven't stopped since. So, there is hope that even though your kids might get distracted every once in a while, that they will come back to it. :)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Kids are funny. I've got one nutcase bookworm, a couple who will read somewhat for entertainment and a couple more who consider bookreading a chore. They were all raised the same, or as much as is possible. They all got bedtime stories, family trips to the library...

I think some of it is genetic, personally. The preferences showed very young.

Strangely enough, even the non-readers are quite capable of writing clearly and lucidly, so it's not like their language skills are deficient.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Anyhow, I 'rediscovered' reading when I was probably in 9th grade or so. (Around 15 years old) and haven't stopped since. So, there is hope that even though your kids might get distracted every once in a while, that they will come back to it. :)

I was 30. I just hope my kid doesn't wait that long. But, my parents didn't read anything but the paper. I was never encouraged.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Your son seems to have a common disease known as readsaloteritis.I had it as a child, and let me tell you, it's a terrible thing to have if you plan on getting stuff done. The symptoms of the disease are few: child always has nose glued to a book, the child has trained him/herself to multitask while reading said book, grades go up (unless the child is reading a book while taking a test, then they go down), and once perfect eyesight has a tendency to fade. Go to the doctors immediately and have him give your son an injection of idiotarpsi. It's the only way he'll function in the real world....

:D

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
For all the problems people give kids these days, I continually notice that mostly, kids don't change that much. They watch TV, they read, they listen to music, they play outside, they have friends.

And, er...SW, maybe you should check on the book, if he went inside it? I mean, you don't want the world to go all Pagemaster on him, although that would be pretty cool if it happened to me...

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
Hey SW, your son's comment about going inside is a bit like the "inside of a dog it's too dark to read" from whoever it was. :)

My son was not much of a reader until at about 12 years old we were holidaying with friends and their 12 year old daughter was reading a book for two days until it was finished. It was the first time he saw somebody his own age reading like that (only boring adults did that sort of thing), and so he borrowed the book. He started reading as we started the 7or 8 hour drive home. When we got there he stayed in the car until the book was finished, by which time my wife and I had unpacked all the camping stuff.

Suddenly it was on, and he was getting through Robert Jordan books the size of a house-brick.

And the book that started it? "Island of the Blue Dolphin"

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Hey SW, your son's comment about going inside is a bit like the "inside of a dog it's too dark to read" from whoever it was. :)

Groucho Marx. "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Dixie

Registered
Reaction score
Thats good SW! I hope my little one starts to like reading as much as I do. Everyday we sit down and read a book together she loves it. I won't force her into it, but I hope to find her someday lost in a book.

Lady

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad that your son is enjoying reading. :)

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
I hope our girls love to read like that :)

I love it when a book consumes me. I used to (HS and college years) use up a whole Saturday or Sunday reading cover to cover thick novels.

I dream of the day when at least one of our girls wants to write her own story, or shares my passion for horses--at least one of those, if not both ;)

Keep feeding your son books. It's a great addiction (and makes treadmill workouts go fast)!

Melanie

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Wow, that's great! I don't have kids, so you'll have to forgive my naivety, but I have a theory that parents who love books and take time to read to their kids when they're very young will have kids who grow up to love books and have great imagination. I know that this won't always be true, but I can only hope, and I think the best way to at least try to set your kid up to love books is to read to them.

So anyhoo... again, this is great to hear :)

Status
Not open for further replies.