Uh oh! James negotiates price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Yup, even price can be negotiated with PA amicably.

It's a much different thing when you treat them with respect instead of blazing in angry and accusing them of false things.

Check out my book cover, too.

www.angelfire.com/scifi2/writerguy

James

James D Macdonald

Congratulations on your negotiated price!

What will the cover price be, how many pages will your book run, and when will it be coming out?

=========

Yo momma is so fat, when she sits around the house she sits around the house.

Cat Jones

Uh oh! I have been playing voyeur with these posts, and I am really just an outsider. I have and will never established any kind of relationship with PA or any of their ilk.

I have just one thing to ask. How is it James, that you would expect anyone to find anything you say credible when you constantly give vague details. You trumpet in here defending PA with all of these wonderful ideas about what you were able to work out for yourself, but never once have you been willing to actually state the nature of your beneficial negotiations. I negotiated price, I negotiated books given to me, I never gave them a list, I negotiated EVERYTHING and yet you can't even state what it is you have accomplished. Always some excuse, I want them to shoot higher, I don't want anyone jealous if they aren't good enough to get the same, etc.

From an outsiders perspective, it only makes both you and PA sound less and less reputable. Obviously, if you were able to negotiate all of this and everyone else is getting shafted, then everyone else is still getting shafted. Obviously, if you can change every single detail of their offered contract, they have absolutely nothing standard, AND they are aware that what they offer initially is far from fair. If you are truly the Great and Wonderful James, out there to help authors see the light of PA, then I feel your crusade should be aimed at assisting authors in actually getting these negotiations started. It only helps your cause if more authors feel like they were treated fairly by PA. Instead you brag and argue and help no one. People still walk away from signing their PA contracts disappointed and telling everyone exactly what they got.

Your mystery only creates confusion and defeats the purpose of stating it's negotiable in the first place. If you are under a gag order to never tell your personal negotiated rewards, then state that. At least that would be something factual and straight forward.

Just an opinion. I have no facts, besides those that straight forward people on this board were willing to point out and BACK UP.

James

Hi Cat!

The price can be verified fairly easily.

As for the rest, I do help PA authors. I do so in private email between myself and them. I don't need to drag their laundry onto this message board just so I can look credible in your eyes (who are you?). In the world of business it isn't polite to discuss contract details (we don't tell each other what our wages are at work for the same reasons) because it can cause ill feelings.

The fact is this: I negotiated my contract, including the price of my book, because I ASKED. Period. Considering they took my first offer I'm willing to bet I could have done better had it not been for "those" people (who know who they are) that made me think I wouldn't even get what I did.

If you are worried that I'm not helping anyone with what I've learned rest assured I am. But I'm not going to do it here on this board.

"Your mystery only creates confusion and defeats the purpose of stating it's negotiable in the first place. If you are under a gag order to never tell your personal negotiated rewards, then state that. At least that would be something factual and straight forward."

Kind of like if I hinted that a detective was investigating PA due to an author who may be laying criminal charges against them, only to have that author later on write a post saying that s/he feels silly for jumping the gun and getting the police involved in the first place?

I don't defend PA, nor do I berate them. I'm just tired of the half-truths perpetuated by those who feel it's their duty to win their crusade at all costs.

James

Cat Jones

Re: Hi Cat!

I appreciate your response. I also apologize for the sniping, >insert another less choice word here< tone of my post. Not for what I asked/said, mind you, but the attitude with which it was put.

I understand the nature of these "arguments" and discussions, and I definitely understand the inpropriety involved in discussing numbers in business. It seems these discussions are far from businesslike though...:lol .

Joking aside, I admire your ability to keep up and defend your position and intelligence in negotiations. I do not think PA is a legitimate source of publication. There are precious few, presumably like yourself, who will step into their world with a fair understanding of what it is they get. And deign to ask for better. Too many, I think, will find themselves in the land of Poetry.Com like positions. Appreciating too greatly what amounts to too little.

Again, my opinion only. You apparently have a niche. You will have to let us know how your book does. And I am glad you are there for some of the lost and wandering sheep.

James

Huh...

Okay Cat, first Vicki, then James M., then Dave, and now you...
I have to say I'm getting uncomfortable with the kindness coming my way and am vying for the old days when my posts demanded the setting up of a Take It Outside Board. (Sorry Jenna. I'm trying to annoy everybody!) Cat, are you purposefully trying to ruin my reputation? (Sarcasm, sarcasm.)

Don't worry about it Cat (the attitude in your post) I've gotten quite used to the fact that non-PA writers automatically treat me with disdain simply for my association with my publisher. As a side note, I've also gotten quite used to the fact that PA writers treat me with disdain simply for being me...

In my first year of creative writing, my prof told me this: when you write, it's art. When you publish, it's product. And that's pretty much the attitude I take with my work. PA is "giving" me nothing. I'm allowing THEM to publish my work, and that's how I see it.

As of right now, my book is on preorder where I work and doing nicely (for being in the system for a couple days). I'm setting myself up to talk at schools for $200 a talk twice a week, which is (in my opinion) much better than a book launch (which I turned down - waste of my time, in my opinion). It's nice to know most of you have gone from wishing me to crash and burn to having success.

James

James D Macdonald

Re: Huh...

Oh, dear, James. I must have been unclear. I've always wished you the very best. Alas, wishing you well does not preclude predicting that you're going to crash and burn -- which I do predict -- based on your choice of publisher.

You're right about school and library gigs. I do those myself. It gets old pretty fast, the travel is a pain, and they take time out of your writing day, but you can make 'em pretty lucrative if you hustle. I'm concerned that your choice of publisher may limit you there, too, and the gigs dry up if you don't have a supply of new material coming out.

Book launches, as I've said before, are a waste of time and money. I'm glad you've decided to skip that step.

========

Yo momma is so poor, burglars break into her house and leave money.

James

Crystal balls

"Alas, wishing you well does not preclude predicting that you're going to crash and burn -- which I do predict -- based on your choice of publisher."

Maybe you could predict me the lotto numbers instead. ;) Or if I'm going to marry that cute girl I met on my commute today...

"You're right about school and library gigs. I do those myself. It gets old pretty fast, the travel is a pain, and they take time out of your writing day, but you can make 'em pretty lucrative if you hustle."

Again, I am in a unique position. I work in the very store where 99% of schools/libraries shop. They trust my recommendations (I have good taste ;) ) and, well, like me.

As for it getting old fast, that's why I'm setting up 2/week.

"I'm concerned that your choice of publisher may limit you there, too, and the gigs dry up if you don't have a supply of new material coming out."

Hey, if no one else picks up my next book I'm sure PA will.

"Book launches, as I've said before, are a waste of time and money. I'm glad you've decided to skip that step."

I work in a bookstore, I see how book launches go. Small name authors have a night of friends and family, big names get paid big money for showing up. If I want a night where my friends and family ohh and ahh over my book I'd rather just do it in a nice restaurant. At least there I have the opportunity to hit on the cute waitress (isn't that why we all, really, write?)

James

Evil Genius

Interesting to say the least

James stated, "At least there I have the opportunity to hit on the cute waitress (isn't that why we all, really, write?)"

So, that's why women write, also? I didn't know that. ;)
Of course, if James is just after women, it doesn't matter if his books are successful. Those just have to be published. Right?

James also stated, "Hey, if no one else picks up my next book I'm sure PA will."

So, if James' next book is terrible, they'll still publish it. I can see why he trusts them. Reading into his statement, it's easy to surmise that they don't require ability or quality in what they publish.

SiverMask

Re: My opinion

James, I think you're just acting blind to the bad news of PA. Despite all the arguments, you're only willing to see in one direction. Which basically means that even if anyone says anything about the bad contract terms, you go, "Oh, but I already know what I'm getting into." To the lack of editing, " Oh, but they do change my grammar and punctuation." To the lack of publicity for books, you go, "Oh yes, I know they don't publicise, but I can do that for myself."

If you don't mind, may I remind you that this topic on PA used to be on The Bewares Board, the reason of which is to warn or inform authors about unscrupulous or misleading publishers. And even if PA is not the former, would u not at least agree it is the latter?

After all, PA did state that its books are stocked in brick and mortar stores. So tell me, does the bookstore u work at and the bookstores you visit stock any books published by PA? (Please don't tell me you're from Canada so the books aren't stocked there!! After all PA do ship their books to Canada, do they not? ) I know the bookstores I visit don't. And so many others have said that most bookstores don't stock PA books (Don't tell me to provide proof, unless you can provide proof that they do. Currently, we have to take the word of the many authors who say that they don't see PA books in bookstores.) Thus, could you not say that PA is misleading aspiring authors by saying that their books are widely stocked in brick and mortar stores? Considering that they are misleading aspiring authors, don't aspiring authors deserve to be warned about them? If you still disagree that PA is not trying to mislead authors, I would have to say you're really deluding yourself.

But if you do agree that PA is misleading aspiring authors by stating on their website that their books are widely stocked and sold through brick and mortar stores, then please, discontinue your arguments, because truly, your arguments don't hold. Because then, everyone who wants to warn others about PA have a right to because PA is giving false information and misleading authors to sign on with them.

Yes, perhaps they have their good points, but I believe authors have the right to know about all their bad points before signing the contract with them.

So, yeah, maybe you did know what you were getting into, but because you have a way of pushing your own books, have friends who can edit your book for you, and don't mind the high book price (not to mention that at least PA took your book), you can afford to go with PA. But not many new authors have the resources you have, or the notion of what they're getting into, like you do.

So publish your book/books with PA as you like, but stop insulting or putting down others who are trying to warn new authors about PA.

0]

PS: The last time I told you that they accepted my half-written manuscript, and you just went ha-ha. I maintain that that is not a joke but proof of the poor quality of screening PA has.

James

Evil Genius

Evil Genius, it is clear that you have read nothing that I have written so I won't waste time other than to write this:

Please go back and read everything I wrote before making false claims about what I've claimed.

Thanks!

James

James

Getting Back to Why I Posted This

I do need to clarify few statements:

"So tell me, does the bookstore u work at and the bookstores you visit stock any books published by PA?"

My bookstore doesn't stock books by Dave, Victoria or Ann either.

"Yes, perhaps they have their good points, but I believe authors have the right to know about all their bad points before signing the contract with them."

I have never disputed this. The dispute is when bad points are clarified, and good points are brought forward.
My problem is when PA authors complain about issues that are in their contract or widely known before they signed. You can't walk into a glass door and then blame the glass maker for your broken nose.

"...and don't mind the high book price..."

$13.95 US is too high for you?

"If you still disagree that PA is not trying to mislead authors, I would have to say you're really deluding yourself."

If aspiring authors who are dissatisfied with PA put half as much energy into researching PA as they do about griping after publication they would not be in the bind they are in. Period.

"So publish your book/books with PA as you like, but stop insulting or putting down others who are trying to warn new authors about PA."

Take a look at the posts again. I'll wait for your apology.

James

Granny

Presto Change-o

["So tell me, does the bookstore u work at and the bookstores you visit stock any books published by PA?"

My bookstore doesn't stock books by Dave, Victoria or Ann either.]

Nice misdirection...of course, Dave, Victoria, and Ann have between them -- what? -- maybe two dozen books. And PA has...how many now? 2500 or so. Are you suggesting every single PA book is in the sci-fi/fantasy genre and therefore would not be carried by your bookstore? How about you tell us how many books your bookstore carries by Xlibris, Dorrance, or 1st Books...then tell us if it carries any by Harper Collins, St. Martin's Press or even a tiny specialty publisher like Writer's Digest Books.

Slight of hand doesn't change reality...it may convince the naive (who apparently you think should be punished for their lack of experience in the business and their tendency to believe what a publisher says) but reality remains the same. PA, like the vanity presses, is not a company whose books will be found in real windows-and-doors bookstores unless the author individually put the books there. If you find a PA book in a bookstore, it is IN SPITE of PA, not because of it.

If you are, as you say, standing at the front of the path trying to give people the truth -- that is an important truth they need...not some song-and-dance misdirection about how your particular bookstore doesn't happen to carry a selection of genre books either.

Gran

Evil Genius

Presto Change-o

Well stated, Granny. You're right on target with James constant redirection of information. If he's so concerned with people receiving the truth, then his redirection of questions is completely in conflict with his stated goal.

By the way, Canada James, I've read just about everything I can that you've posted. I'm not impressed.

James

Granny and Evil Genius

And I've tried so hard to impress the both of you.

James

marky1

FOG

C. James "strikes out" again at all comers. It is beyond me to understand his position only insofar as he is always contrare to the more experienced posters here at all costs. You woudl think a novice author would be glad to get some real advice instead of defending ignorance. I'll bet he was nonunion actor too. C. James knows it all because he is a clerk. LA is full of this type, by the millions.

Canada James

Marky

"LA is full of this type, by the millions."

Unfortunately, Marky, the world is full of your type too. By the billions.

"You woudl think a novice author would be glad to get some real advice instead of defending ignorance."

My book costs $13.95 over at PA, Marky. How much was yours?
How much would the others have been had they not been rejected?

Canada James

marky1

price

PA took a self-published $10.95 book and made it into a $19.95 book. Which one would you buy? Hypothetically speaking of course. As for the other two rejected ones, they would have never been given to PA anyway. They were a test. One was already published and the other has since been accepted by a traditional publisher. Next.

SiverMask

Re: My opinion

Hmm James,

“My bookstore doesn't stock books by Dave, Victoria or Ann either.”

Granny is right. Let’s not compare a large, enterprising publisher like PA who has published 2500 books with a few measly authors. I'm talking about how many books do PA stock at your bookstore. Let’s compare publisher vs. publisher. Who is Dave's publisher? Who is Victoria’s and Ann’s publisher? Daw? Baen? I have seen many Daw and Baen books in my local bookstore. How many books of Dave’s, Victoria’s and Ann’s publishers have you seen stocked in your local bookstore?

Now, PA books... that I haven’t seen a single one. Surely, out of 2500 books published, they would have at least 1 book stocked at my local bookstore? Especially since they claim that they stock and sell many books through mortar bookstores! Surely, if their claim is true, then I would at least see 1 book in my bookstore that’s published by them? Surely they can’t be lying? And surely…surely if they’re lying, Dave, Victoria and Ann have the right to tell the others about the lie? And surely, if the lie is indeed a lie, then they are not libeling or defaming PA by warning others of it?

“If aspiring authors who are dissatisfied with PA put half as much energy into researching PA as they do about griping after publication they would not be in the bind they are in. Period.”

Aww. That was mean. Okay anyways, that’s what Victoria, Ann and Dave are doing. They’re trying to make research on PA easier. So now, all those lazy authors can do their research at a click of the mouse. And they wouldn’t gripe so much anymore.

But you still can’t blame those newbie authors for putting their trust in PA. If PA could just stop putting those messages about them selling so many books thru’ brick and mortar stores!! And you blame those guys for entering the lion’s den. See why people should be making more complaints about PA now? Then authors will go in with their eyes open, and no one would gripe about PA, and you would have a publisher with a more solid reputation. Of course, I believe PA don’t want authors to go in with their eyes open. Otherwise, they’ll be losing lots of books to publish. And they need more books to publish if they want their revenue. =)

“I have never disputed this. The dispute is when bad points are clarified, and good points are brought forward. My problem is when PA authors complain about issues that are in their contract or widely known before they signed. You can't walk into a glass door and then blame the glass maker for your broken nose.”

Widely known? What is it that is ‘widely known’? Is it that PA isn’t a true blue traditional publisher as opposed to what they say on their website is widely known? Is it that they don’t publicize for their authors and that their books aren’t really sold in many brick and mortar stores as they claim are widely known? Is it that they don’t do ‘editing’ for authors as other publishers ‘edit’ for their authors is widely known? Is it that they accept any mss that comes their way as opposed to other publishing houses is widely known?

You know what? Maybe you’re right. Those authors deserve being stuck with PA forever. They deserve to have their books jammed with PA, forever unable to sell. WHO ASKED THEM NOT TO DO THEIR RESEARCH!! These facts are after all widely known. I can’t believe their stupidity. *shakes head* Considering how widely known that most traditional publishing houses give more than 2 review copies(even without negotiation) as opposed to PA, and how widely known that most traditional publishing houses bother to doctor edit the books by their authors as opposed to PA who only edit, and how widely known it is that most traditional publishers bother to at least do a bit of publicity for their books as opposed to PA, I can’t imagine why these authors are so STUPID as to not know!! In fact, they deserve it. Geez, these people. STOP GRIPING AND GET ON WITH LIFE!! YOU DESERVE IT FOR NOT DOING YOUR RESEARCH AND NOT KNOWING FACTS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WIDELY KNOWN!!

It’s amazing why Dave, Victoria and Ann even bother with these people. Maybe because they’re afraid those widely known facts are not widely known enough. So they’re trying to make it more widely known. And those people who still go into PA without the widely known facts, well *shrug*, THEY DESERVE TO NOT BE ABLE TO SELL THEIR BOOKS!!

So yeah, obviously authors who read the contract and sign it knowing beforehand that you’ll be only getting two copies of your book, you shouldn’t gripe about it after that. After all, you SHOULD know that other traditional publishers give their authors more than 2 review copies. You mean you didn’t know? THEN OBVIOUSLY YOU DESERVE JUST THAT TWO COPIES. WHO ASKED YOU NOT TO DO YOUR RESEARCH??!!!

You mean you didn’t even know that other traditional publishers bother to doctor edit the books as opposed to PA who only edits for grammar and punctuation? THEN OBVIOUSLY YOU DESERVE AN UNEVEN BOOK THAT MUDSKIPPERS WON’T EVEN READ. WHO ASKED YOU NOT TO KNOW THOSE WIDELY KNOWN FACTS??!! JEEPERS.

“The dispute is when bad points are clarified, and good points are brought forward.”

Why is it that bad points are ‘clarified’ but good points are ‘brought forward’? Couldn’t their bad points be really a bad point with nothing to clarify about? Maybe both bad points and good points should just be brought forward.

Okay, so now James, we should talk about the good points of PA. It’s time to go on to their good points, which I believe is what you are trying to make widely known. Yeah?

1)Firstly, all the points in their contract is negotiable (meaning you can make their contract a decent one). But first, the authors have to know that in the first place they’re not getting too great a deal. And those who didn’t know that the initial contract offered by PA is a poor one in contrast to that by other traditional publishers, well, obviously they deserve a poor contract. WHO ASKED THEM NOT KNOW WIDELY KNOWN FACTS??!!!!

2)Secondly, they offer great deals on their own books every few months!! How delightful. Now, just let me get more of my own books so I can stock them in every place of my house, so guests just can’t not notice I wrote a book!

3)Thirdly, the people are a joy to work with. (attested by James, so i shall believe it PS: No sarcasm here.)

4)I can get my book published even if the mudskippers think it too uneven to read.

5)James, you fill this in.

Apart from point no. 3 (no. 4, too, maybe), it seems as though PA has no other good qualities. And I'm talking about good qualities in comparison with other similar traditional publishers. Because that's what PA claims to be, ain't it? A traditional publisher. So we shall only comapre them with other traditional houses.

And James, if you can think up of any more good points PA have as opposed to other traditional publishing houses, please inform everyone about it. We all want and need to know the good points of PA to measure them with the bad points.

“Take a look at the posts again. I'll wait for your apology.”

I read through Dave’s very initial statement (before he had this cranky debate with you) on his website P&E, and found that there was no putdown about PA as you keep going on about, except for a warning that PA has a poor contract, and was thus not recommended. If it weren’t for me finding Dave’s site, I would have gone with PA. I had no idea that their contract was poor. I was a newbie author, eager to publish my book. And PA sounded like a dream. There were so many success stories about authors seeming to have sold thousands and thousands of books (at least it seemed that way to me) and about how PA have published so many books (good record) and how PA sells their books in mortar and brick stores!! A dream come through. I really wanted to walk into a bookstore and see my book on display. Going through their entire website, I decided to post my mss to them.

I wanted to be a PA author.

And then, excited after posting my mss to them, I wanted to search up on the books they sell, and I typed in PA into the search engine, and to my horror found many bad reports on PA.

Fortunately, being the distrusting person I am, I only sent half of my mss to the publisher (thinking that if the publisher likes it, they’ll ask for the full script. Apparently they didn't need the full script, or rather, they hadn't noticed i hadn't given them the full script, because they replied with a proposal contract). So really, I have a lot to thank to people like Dave and Victoria. I see no reason why I should be apologizing to you, because you are putting them down, saying that they have ‘reasons’ in warning others about PA. Truthfully, I think it’s just their pure heart and intentions, and for that I salute them.

I wrote this the last time: “ The last time I told you that they accepted my half-written manuscript, and you just went ha-ha. I maintain that that is not a joke but proof of the poor quality of screening PA has.”

You never bothered to reply to this claim as usual. Tell me, if PA is really not as lax as they are in taking mss as you so seem to preach, then why would they accept a half-written mss? Or do you actually admit that they are indeed very lax in their acquirement of manuscripts? I realize how careful you have to be in answering this. Because if you say YES, you know they are lax, and have poor quality control, you are immediately admitting that PA is no traditional publisher as they preach (and as you seem to preach). And as the domino effect goes…if they lied about being a traditional publisher, then yeah, maybe they lied about selling their books thru’ mortar stores, and who knows what other lies they have made? So yes, if you don’t answer this question again, I’ll understand. As would the other readers, I believe.

…Of course you can just discredit me by saying I’m lying that they accepted my half-written mss. Hmm…

Maybe it’s time you admit it James. I’m sure you know that PA is not recommended for most authors, and authors should only go into contract with PA with very careful treads. Say it aloud. Tell others that it was for u because it fitted your plans, but for most people it won’t be suitable. Admit that the people who speak against PA are right about their accusations. Admit that most newbie authors aren’t and won’t be wary about the poor contract PA offers until someone tells them it’s poor. And believe it or not, I have nothing against you, but that against the publisher. As such, I do wish you well, and hope you won’t be just one of the statistics in failing to make your book a success within PA.

PS: And obviously no one wants to see you publish with PA again, but that’s only because we wish you well!! As you can judge, by how strongly against PA we speak.

SiverMask

Canada James

Silver Mask

Most of what you wrote I'm going to ignore. Consider it a kinder, gentler James.

"Especially since they claim that they stock and sell many books through mortar bookstores!"

They don't claim that. They claim that the books they sell *retail* they sell through mortar bookstores. This is why I got into these debates; statements against PA are worded as craftily as those for PA.

"Okay anyways, that’s what Victoria, Ann and Dave are doing."

I'll admit that's what Victoria and Ann are doing, but that isn't what Dave is doing. Take a look at his "warning" on P&E and you tell me if it's against PA or a shot at the authors. Dave lost sight of what he started out to do long ago.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that authors need to go in knowing what they are getting into. But those that gripe because of things like their book being priced at $19.95 don't get my sympathy, they KNEW that when they signed the contract.

What sites like P&E should have is a warning that PA does not allow returns, and that getting books into bookstores is left up to the author. Would you like to know what I do when asked by writers if they should choose PA? I don't mention the contract at all. I suggest they visit three indie bookstores in their local area and ask if they would stock their book. I suggest to them that if their plan is to buy their books themselves that they do a cost analysis of what it would be if they even just did 5 bookstores at 5 books a store. And then... I leave the decision up to them. Some of them I later see on the PA message board (some indie bookstores say yes), others I never hear from again.

There are some who will sign with PA regardless of what anyone says. They will ignore the warnings about PA because they want to see their book in print so badly that they turn a blind eye to the negative aspects of that particular house. Or because they see the negatives and know a way around them.

I tend to have an effect on people questioning PA because I don't tell them what to do (I went with PA because I saw an opportunity - someone else might see one also). I'm not going to write on this board that PA is the devil incarnate and should be stopped at all cost, because I feel that they have a place *so long as writers understand what they will and will not get*. Who are you to say what my particular situation is and what I should be doing with the book that *I* wrote? How dare you and Granny!

For some reason, Silver Mask, we live in a society that believes they can do whatever they want and NOT be held accountable. I also believe that this is why people are starting to hate God; Christianity demands accountability to something higher than oneself. If you choose the wrong path it IS your fault, and you don't have anyone to blame but yourself. Harsh? Maybe. But I do believe we would all be better off if people stopped asking to be coddled and started taking some responsibility.

As for your other questions I'll pick and choose what I want to answer. I owe you nothing, Mr. Mask. Nor do I owe Granny anything.

You, after all, still have not told me if you feel $13.95 is too high for a PA book.

Canada James

Canada James

Marky

"PA took a self-published $10.95 book and made it into a $19.95 book. Which one would you buy?"

You knew the prices of their books when you signed on. What were you thinking?

"As for the other two rejected ones, they would have never been given to PA anyway. They were a test."

You've said this more than once and I don't understand. Do you mean they are so bad that you tested PA to see if they'd reject them (thus proving they accept anything), or you feel they are truly exceptional and wanted to see if PA was too blind to see it?

"One was already published and the other has since been accepted by a traditional publisher."

Congratulations Marky! Who is your publisher and what are the book titles? What genre, and how are they selling?

Canada James

SiverMask

Re: Silver Mask

"Especially since they claim that they stock and sell many books through mortar bookstores!"

They don't claim that. They claim that the books they sell *retail* they sell through mortar bookstores. This is why I got into these debates; statements against PA are worded as craftily as those for PA."

Then how do they sell their books if they don’t sell them retail? And retail means, “The sale of goods or commodities in small quantities directly to consumers.”

By the way, I wasn’t trying to word my words craftily when I said they claim to sell many books through mortar bookstores. It’s just that I had no idea that books could be sold in other ways other than retail. I assumed that publishers sell their books *retail*.

You also stated above that because people who oppose PA phrase their words AS CRAFTILY as PA, so you go into these debates. Is that what you are saying? I don’t want to mistake you. But if that is the case, then you are admitting that PA is crafty. Why do you even stand up for them then? Their being crafty has misguided many aspiring authors already.

“I wholeheartedly agree with you that authors need to go in knowing what they are getting into. But those that gripe because of things like their book being priced at $19.95 don't get my sympathy, they KNEW that when they signed the contract.”

Thanks for agreeing with me on this point. But as PA word every statement on their website so craftily, it gets very difficult for new authors who do not know contractual terms well to get misguided about what they’re signing up for.

But it’s true that those who had signed the contract should have known beforehand that their book pricing is high, thus shouldn’t gripe. But you should also realize that a new author might not know about the many other small contractual details. Like signing away all rights for 7 years is a long time to bind your book to one publisher. And the fact that most upright publishers would not make such demands. They are excited at having completed their book, and are exhilarated at looking up the website of what seems to be a legit publisher. It’s also natural for them not to be thinking clearly at such a time. And for PA to word their words so craftily knowing all this, makes PA unscrupulous.

But I do agree that considering most writers are book readers, they should already know that their book is priced higher than most other books. Perhaps this is where their knowledge of the reputation of PA could help them to decide on whether or not to sign that contract.

“Take a look at his "warning" on P&E and you tell me if it's against PA or a shot at the authors. Dave lost sight of what he started out to do long ago. “

Perhaps he did. But the site does at least still warn others to be more cautious about PA’s contract, which they should be.

“What sites like P&E should have is a warning that PA does not allow returns, and that getting books into bookstores is left up to the author. Would you like to know what I do when asked by writers if they should choose PA? I don't mention the contract at all. I suggest they visit three indie bookstores in their local area and ask if they would stock their book. I suggest to them that if their plan is to buy their books themselves that they do a cost analysis of what it would be if they even just did 5 bookstores at 5 books a store. And then... I leave the decision up to them. Some of them I later see on the PA message board (some indie bookstores say yes), others I never hear from again.”

Although you say you don’t bother to mention the contract, but I feel that the contract is important. It’s binds your hard work, which may take some years to produce, to the publisher. Considering that PA gets most of the profits, shouldn’t they take up responsibility in the marketing?

Unsurprisingly, you have yet again chosen not to answer the questions where you know you cannot fight for PA, because otherwise you’ll be lying.

I had not answer whether US$13.95 is a reasonable price, because I do not know the number of pages of your book or if it’s in soft or hard cover. Nevertheless, you did negotiate its price down from US$19.95. And a reasonable publisher would never have even quoted that as its initial price in the first place.

SiverMask

marky1

Canada James confusions

Your accusing my rejected books at PA of being sub-par, which is an insult, but then, that is your forte. There are very few nonfiction books at PA. Unlike in fiction there can be repercussions and work for the publisher; fact checking, libel laws, and so on.

PA won't take any reponsibility for their books so this a good reason to reject these two projects. The last had over 300 endnotes, and as many traditional publishers and universities have told me, a specialized audience: Market reasons. But you are so green and quick to insult all comers that you wouldn't have considered such things. My work can be found by Googling "Mark A. York." It's quite extensive actually.

marky1

Puritanism

"For some reason, Silver Mask, we live in a society that believes they can do whatever they want and NOT be held accountable. I also believe that this is why people are starting to hate God; Christianity demands accountability to something higher than oneself. If you choose the wrong path it IS your fault, and you don't have anyone to blame but yourself. Harsh? Maybe. But I do believe we would all be better off if people stopped asking to be coddled and started taking some responsibility."

As one who has just written a great deal on the history of the Puritans, I am almost gleeful to see this texbook logic still around. It's the same classic wrong-headed piety that failed in Massachusetts, but in many ways remains. It is doubtful this type of jeremiad will win you spot as one of the "elect."

marky1

Negotiated price?

Well, pilgrim here's what Amazon says about your price:

"Upon the Shoulders of Vengeance
by James McCann

List Price: $19.95
Price: $19.95 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details.
Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

Edition: Paperback"

Gee, that's identical to my PA book. They must not have received the memo from corporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.